• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

CzarTim

But it's just normal gear, there's nothing to differentiate it from any other gear (i.e., no expertise).
Ah, so it is. My bad.
Honestly, I have no idea what I mean. Just caught some people talking about it in guild chat last night and was curious! I'd like to be able to participate in raids Illum and stuff when I hit 50, just trying to be prepared.

When you complete a WZ, you get Warzone coms. You can trade 30 of these in for 10 merc coms at the PVP vendor in the fleet or the vendor at the spawn in WZs. You need 200 WZ and 200 merc comms to buy a Champion Bag, which contains coms to buy T1 and T2 pvp gear. The most you can do pre-50 is save these WZ and Marc comms. You can only have 1000 of each at a time.

eznark

Banned
I think I have 1000 wz commendations right now. Anything I should be looking to do with them since I'm basically not gaining any now when I pvp

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I've enjoyed TOR tremendously at level 50 and lower levels. My playtime has dropped considerably, but that's to be expected; if you're looking for an addictive job-like operation/pvp structure like WoW had in Vanilla and TBC--then you're playing the wrong game (WoW was fun while it lasted, but wiping on bosses for months and trying to get everyone attuned was NOT fun, maybe for an hour after you finally killed that boss--but then it was back to the grind). Try a Korean MMO maybe? The game has still remained fresh for me logging in two nights a week for HM (maybe soon to be nightmare?) operations, and maybe an hour or two of pvp a day. I mean what are people expecting at 50 aside from pvp and group based content? The class stories can't go on infinitely, though those will probably get updates every couple months and bigger updates when expansions come out.

Blitzzz

Actually, I'm pretty sure it did.

I just hit 41. Should I start thinking about acquiring PVP gear?

shift+left click would link but shift+right click never linked it to chat for me.

pvp armour < 50 is no different than regular gear but some pvp weapons < 50 do have expertise on them

Meh, last dev tracker post makes it clear that UI customization is not going to be in till the March 1.2 update. Was hoping we would get it before then. Seems like everything is being held or coming in the March update.

Sounds like a nice big update, but really would prefer them to trickle us updates and content on a more regular basis. Like give us a new warzone, or the new flashpoint, or whatever instead of holding it all to release together. Though assume they are doing it to come out around time many peoples first 3 month subscription is about to end :-\

Giolon

He dropped gloves for my guild last night, did you have master looter on or anything?

People do need to learn how to read tho before needing/greeding/passing, rakata offhand saber dropped last night, the marauder in our group passed thinking it was a main hand, lots of cursing ensued after someone mentioned it to him later.

Yes, I was the Master Looter. I had everybody else check the corpse too. Nothing. :-/

J-Rzez

But it's just normal gear, there's nothing to differentiate it from any other gear (i.e., no expertise).

Mid on up weapons have expertise mods you can strip out if you'd really want to.

I have to say, I'm getting bored with this already too. Almost to 50 on my 2nd toon. Yeah, leveling wasn't bad due to the effort put into the questing, but I have zero interest to keep rerolling toons just to see different stories.

PVP is too limited for a game launched now. 3 total WZ's of very limited replay value for me? With a 4th that's a month or so away? That's pathetic.

Worst part is, no other MMO's on the horizon for me as GW2 is a long way off yet most likely..

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Yes, I was the Master Looter. I had everybody else check the corpse too. Nothing. :-/

HM ops are bugged right now where master looter gives less loot. You gotta turn off master looter, turn off auto loot, and make sure everyone in the ops has auto loot off then roll on the pieces one by one.

Just spend the coms on adrenals or medpacks if you're just capped on both. Heck, all coms from my alts are spent on those and sent to my main. :p

gatti-man

Im still enjoying swtor. Getting close nit pvp groups and rivalries. Seeing the same 20 or so people at illum and in WZ's. Remembering certain rep players names and groups. Its good fun. Im lvl 50 valor and still really like playing pvp.

Im still enjoying swtor. Getting close nit pvp groups and rivalries. Seeing the same 20 or so people at illum and in WZ's. Remembering certain rep players names and groups. Its good fun. Im lvl 50 valor and still really like playing pvp.
This, exactly! I don't want cross server pvp for this very reason. I just started pvping hard two weeks ago and I already have rivalries going. So cool!

eznark

Banned
This, exactly! I don't want cross server pvp for this very reason. I just started pvping hard two weeks ago and I already have rivalries going. So cool!

Would it be terribly difficult to make it an option? If I get sick of huttball, maybe I'll jump into the cross-server. If I want to fight rivals, maybe I'll jump into same server. Doesn't seem too cumbersome to me.

CzarTim

I don't want cross server PVP for this reason. I've made a lot of friends on KV due to it. But the game needs it unless they decide to merge servers. On the Republic side of KV, the 50 PVP queue can sometimes hit 20 minutes during off-hours, and the teams are almost always not full. Also, pre-mades vs PUGs is almost always a guaranteed loss. There are certainly many cons to cross server stuff, but in this case it's for the good of the game. Especially with ranked Warzones.

Draxal

I don't want cross server PVP for this reason. I've made a lot of friends on KV due to it. But the game needs it unless they decide to merge servers. On the Republic side of KV, the 50 PVP queue can sometimes hit 20 minutes during off-hours, and the teams are almost always not full. Also, pre-mades vs PUGs is almost always a guaranteed loss. There are certainly many cons to cross server stuff, but in this case it's for the good of the game. Especially with ranked Warzones.

Doesn't exactly need it, they could always make incentives to roll republic, and I believe they are looking into doing so. I know on Sith Wyrm at least, that they're are some Imps who rerolled republic just due to them being tired of huttball.

Is anybody familiar with Wow's ranked bg participation rate, I vaguely recall it being that a miniscule % actually participated in them.

I split my time between two characters to experience both sides and really had no feeling of getting to 50 since end game grinds always just bore me. Glad my guild is a mixed bunch and big so there are lot of others who are not hardcore and rushed to max level and we are just now starting to run HM's and going to do our first OP runs next week.

Doesn't exactly need it, they could always make incentives to roll republic, and I believe they are looking into doing so. I know on Sith Wyrm at least, that they're are some Imps who rerolled republic just due to them being tired of huttball.

Is anybody familiar with Wow's ranked bg participation rate, I vaguely recall it being that a miniscule % actually participated in them.

Did incentives ever really work to help population imbalance in a MMO? The games I've seen them do it in, it didn't make a difference especially since it's really something that is going to take a long time to see any improvements as players make new characters and grind em up.

CzarTim

Population imbalance isn't a problem for WZs. Allowing same faction fights on the other two maps would fix that. The issue is inconsistent population throughout the day and uneven skill among players. Not all servers have this problem, but it's alienating to the players on servers that do.

Draxal

Did incentives ever really work to help population imbalance in a MMO? The games I've seen them do it in, it didn't make a difference especially since it's really something that is going to take a long time to see any improvements as players make new characters and grind em up.

The only game that I personally recall that tried doing so in a similiar situation, was Warhammer Online. It did not work, but Warhammer Online had other disastrous problems, that it wouldn't of mattered. I think DAOC had a similiar situation (never played it myself), but it also had three factions which changed up alot of things as well.

Population imbalance isn't a problem for WZs. Allowing same faction fights on the other two maps would fix that. The issue is inconsistent population throughout the day and uneven skill among players. Not all servers have this problem, but it's alienating to the players on servers that do.

It has an indirect affect on warzones, the dominant side has access to a stonger market (there are no high level stims on the market on my server ever), and is much easier to pug flashpoints/ops (having a mix of pve/pvp gear right now is strong due to the pretty harsh diminish returns on expertise).

Allowing,the other two warzones to be imp vs imp, would remove one incentive for Imps to reroll Repubs right now. I do think it would be detrimental to the game.

gatti-man

With pvp rankings on the way i think cross server matches would be ok as long as it was in clusters of 4 or 5. It would alleviate waits and keep some community.

Klorox33

Neo Member
PVP is too limited for a game launched now. 3 total WZ's of very limited replay value for me? With a 4th that's a month or so away? That's pathetic.

Pathetic?

I think I played Arathi Basin for 2 years straight lol

How many warzones do you think they should have launched with? There is also Ilum which is a mess atm/an Tat pvp area.

Is there a particular Warzone you would like to see?

If they are going to improve on the pvp it should be more world orientated Guild vs Guild /Light vs Dark etc imo

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
The answer for me is yes its worth it, me and my brother play probably 2-3hrs a night and split that between progressing through our stories and doing flashpoints/space dailies. I don't mind that I have not done it all, I know there is stuff there and I will get to it eventually.

I have been playing since the early access and am only at Lvl 31 on my 1st Trooper, I figure after Act I I might try the Empire and then after that maybe back to Republic as a Smuggler. With the additions they seem to be indicating in Patch 1.2-1.5 there will be more than enough content to keep a slowass like me subbed.

I don't mind the addition of Flashpoints as more content, as long as they are the more story driven ones instead of just a series of goals that serve no real interesting purpose.

Its just too bad we will never know if there is more of me or more of the core blast it to 50 players, I mean I guess there is if the system goes to F2P like STO and DCO lol

I'm in the same boat as you. My gf and I play a couple of hours a day and we're in no rush to hit 50. I checked the other day and I'm at 6 days 14 hours on my first character and I just hit 47 last night. We've done well over half the flashpoints I think, at least all the story based ones and a few of the others. Looking forward to Directive 7 once we hit 49 and then the level 50 ones and operations. My plan at 50 is to go through and mod all my orange gear, finish my crafting, spend more time in space (I've hardly done any space missions) and gear up all my companions as well.

It's been almost 2 months since I've done the low level content so I'm excited about working on my first alt, although I might wait until Legacy is in to do that. I have a bunch of low level characters made to reserve the names I wanted, I don't know if I'm going to have to remake those to take advantage of some of the Legacy stuff.

jersoc

my republic server is like this. even at this time of day warzones will have us down by 3-5 people. i've seen them shut down frequently.

when i get home from work around 2am'ish it's impossible to play a warzone and win because imperials have double the numbers and the wz shuts down.

I can't speak about other servers. But pvp queues are pretty bearable on tarro blood as a republic. As it gets late the wait times get longer but I haven't ran into any time I couldn't pvp. Then again, that may be because I'm republic.

Overall though, I agree with you that cross server may be necessary. I just fear the community destroying nature of cross server queues. A small number of servers per group, like someone suggested earlier would be a good compromise.

CzarTim

I can't speak about other servers. But pvp queues are pretty bearable on tarro blood as a republic. As it gets late the wait times get longer but I haven't ran into any time I couldn't pvp. Then again, that may be because I'm republic.

Overall though, I agree with you that cross server may be necessary. I just fear the community destroying nature of cross server queues. A small number of servers per group, like someone suggested earlier would be a good compromise.

If they mergered servers, it might not even be a problem.

They should work on how mass world pvp works. Right now it's who has more AOE by a long shot. Melee players are super gimped when battles involve more than 16 players. Granted I haven't played AV since the BC days but I do remember large battles involving more than just staring at the other team for 10 minutes throwing AOEs at each other.

Blitzzz

they should create another sport arena type pvp mode like huttball where each team is a mix of rep and emp. Maybe even make huttball that way too. Takes care of faction imbalance and queue times....who cares what faction your teammates are in huttball

gatti-man

They should work on how mass world pvp works. Right now it's who has more AOE by a long shot. Melee players are super gimped when battles involve more than 16 players. Granted I haven't played AV since the BC days but I do remember large battles involving more than just staring at the other team for 10 minutes throwing AOEs at each other.

I disagree. Whoever has the most healers usually wins. Next is gear. Aoe isnt really a determining factor in my experience.

I wish you could see what the other team is made up of and to be able to mark them before the match even starts. That way if a team has more healers, you can focus on them.

arimanius

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=2699247#edit2699247

Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ - 1.1.3 Patch Notes

Note: Because development is ongoing during testing, it should be noted that all changes and updates listed in the patch notes should be considered incomplete and are subject to change or removal before release to the live servers.The Public Test Server patch notes will be provided in English. The final release notes will be provided in English, French, and German when the content is moved to live servers.

Classes and Combat

General
Surge rating has been re-balanced. It now reaches diminishing returns the same way as other damage ratings, and its per point damage contribution has been reduced by approximately 10%.

Bounty Hunter

Mercenary

Arsenal
Stabilizers: Correctly adds pushback resistance to Unload.
Trooper

Commando

Gunnery
Steadied Aim: Correctly adds pushback resistance to Full Auto.

Companion Characters

General
Some taxis that failed to re-summon companions upon reaching their destination now properly re-summon them.
Companions no longer indicate they wish to speak with you when you are not yet eligible for their next conversation.
If a player is invited to a nearly full group and declines, that player is no longer prevented from summoning a companion.

Crew Skills

Crafting Skills
Non-stackable crafting materials are now refunded if the crafting assignment is canceled.
The number of non-stackable crafting materials a player has is now correctly reflected in the crafting UI.

Biochem
Crafting Exotech consumables now results in three items with a chance of one additional item on a crafting critical.

Flashpoints and Operations

General
Conversation rewards like Social and Alignment Points and Companion Affection are gained more consistently during Hard Mode Flashpoints.

Flashpoints

Boarding Party
In Hard Mode, players are no longer blocked from re-entering the Flashpoint in some circumstances when the group is defeated during the encounter with Jorland.

Kaon Under Siege
Expulsor Droid now drops the correct loot.
Operations

Karagga’s Palace
The chest in 8-man Nightmare Mode now spawns properly after defeating Karagga.

Items

General
Unique items can no longer be traded to a player that has the maximum number of that item in their inventory.
A confirmation dialog is now displayed when purchasing items with commendations or tokens and when purchasing expensive items.

Legacy
A confirmation dialog is now displayed when choosing a Legacy name. The UI has been updated to better communicate Legacy name decisions.

Missions and NPCs

General
Small amounts of Social Points are no longer lost in some circumstances (rarely at the beginning of a Flashpoint or in some mission conversations).
Bonus Series missions on Tatooine (Republic and Imperial) can now be abandoned.

Missions

Imperial
Eve of Destruction: This mission progresses properly even if the player does not immediately travel to Corellia.

Republic
Need to Impress: Resolved a dialogue issue with Ambassador Jannik that blocked progress in this mission.
Rapid Response: This mission can now be failed if the player leaves the mission phase while attempting to destroy the Bomb-Carrying Droids.
Taris Bonus Series: The cinematic for the objective "Return to Storm" now completes properly even if the player has not finished Reconstruction Efforts.

PvP

General
Fixed an issue causing players to not receive Warzone Win mission credit upon winning a Warzone match when the first player to enter the zone leaves the zone before the match concludes.

World PvP

Ilum
Players are now notified when they kill a player but do not receive credit due to rate limits.

Miscellaneous Bug Fixes
Players are no longer occasionally disconnected from the game when interacting with a mailbox.
Players no longer lose mouse click functionality in some circumstances after pressing multiple mouse buttons

Lol they are nerfing surge.

Enosh

well getting some batter gear on my marauder made me change my opinion on them in pvp
we aren't useless after all ^^

seriously I couldn't kill shit for the first week of getting to 50, now it's much better
especially love using undying rage at around 10-7%, 5s of basically complete dmg immunity is like trolling people ^^

Realyn

Think it will hit OP/Smugglers the most followed by Snipers/Gunslingers and Assassins/Shadows. Don't know how much the other classes use surge.

I am sorry, but Sages and their counterparts will be hit the most. Look up their talents, its all around crit. Really .. EVERYTHING. Crit gives you force back,

Running 35 crit, 80 surge at PvE with buff and stims ...

gatti-man

I am sorry, but Sages and their counterparts will be hit the most. Look up their talents, its all around crit. Really .. EVERYTHING. Crit gives you force back,

This is excellent news then. Sages by far cause me the most trouble.

Yea this basically. I was a Gunslinger running crit/surge for the longest time, but I realized that actually power/alacrity or crit/power gives you stronger DPS than crit/surge. The amount of power required to increase DPS by N is less than the amount of surge required to increase your DPS by the same amount N. Since all mods offer the same numeric bonuses, you can get more dps going power

Francois424

Neo Member
One of these days I will make it through a patch unscathed...

Tell me about it.
From slicing (which if you beleive the offical forum poster is working GREAT!... yeah right)
to Biochem, to gathering (I used to farm droids, was nice in addition to the nodes) now to Surge... It's the nerfing wheel allright.

So far my Jedi Sage(Balance) and my Trooper(Commando) managed to evade most of the negativity of patches... Let's hope it continues that way. On another note, I am still waiting for craftskills to be made more usefull. More tanking gear woudn't hurt (especially mods, barrels, hilts) and something to go toe-to-toe with PvP gear, at least on some pieces.

gatti-man

Tell me about it.
From slicing (which if you beleive the offical forum poster is working GREAT!... yeah right)
to Biochem, to gathering (I used to farm droids, was nice in addition to the nodes) now to Surge... It's the nerfing wheel allright.

So far my Jedi Sage(Balance) and my Trooper(Commando) managed to evade most of the negativity of patches... Let's hope it continues that way. On another note, I am still waiting for craftskills to be made more usefull. More tanking gear woudn't hurt (especially mods, barrels, hilts) and something to go toe-to-toe with PvP gear, at least on some pieces.

I agree with everything minus the pvp gear.

Francois424

Neo Member
I agree with everything minus the pvp gear.

As long as something is better than player gear, people will bypass player economies to get it.
It's just the way it goes, and I can't blame anyone.
Why spend 300k on a piece of gear when I can do WZ and BGs to get better for free ?

[Edit]
As Cpp_is_king once said, there needs to be crafted gear that is not identical or better, but has strong points against specific types of damage only, where the PvP gear is better against another type. That way the two can co-exist without excluding PvP experts or Crafter.

CzarTim

As long as something is better than player gear, people will bypass player economies to get it.
Why spend 300k on a piece of gear when I can do WZ and BGs to get better for free ?

The best gear in game is crafted. You just have to do Hardmode Ops/FPs to get the mats/schems.

gatti-man

[Edit]
As Cpp_is_king once said, there needs to be crafted gear that is not identical or better, but has strong points against specific types of damage only, where the PvP gear is better against another type. That way the two can co-exist without excluding PvP experts or Crafter.

If its as easy as spending 300k that would literally break the game. pvp is all about progression and earning your gear. Just buying the gear would screw over tons of players and make the climb to battlemaster unbearable by taking away the carrot.

Top Bottom