• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

DarkFlow

Banned
So I'm for sure getting this game Tuesday. Now I'm trying to narrow down what class to play. I was looking at Jedi Knight sentinel but ever thing I've been reading says it's pretty broken right now. They are rather under-powered for pure dps, other classes do better, and need heavy gear to even come close to par.

The other class was the sage since I like to heal and dps, but I also hear a ton of people play them. I played a Rogue in WoW when it first came out and so did like 40% of my server. This made it a pain to ever get groups and I really don't want a repeat of that. I mainly PvE with some PvP mixed in so I don't know what to pick.

The Smuggler is the last class I'm looking at and seems to fit my heal/dps and it's not broken
from what I can tell. So GAF let me know some insights too better pick. I'm going to go Republic also, but not totally locked in stone.

CoolS

So guys, I stopped playing after the fist month since I was busy with finishing my studies. Now that that's wrapping up, I want to get back into the game.

So I got a few questions: What's changed since then? I know there was Patch 1.1 anything else that was important?
How did the community develop? Is it still fun to play even after you reach max level?
And is there a summary of what's planned in the near future somewhere?

Oh and will there be better textures?

really? was on from 12 to about 3. see no1 ;(

What time of the day is gaf guild most active?

It starts dying down alot at about 10p central, and by 12a central there's usually not more than 4 ppl, but sometimes none i guess.

7p central seems like primetime on weekdays, although yesterday there was a raid at like noon and there were like 14 lvl 50s on. What time zone are you in?

It starts dying down alot at about 10p central, and by 12a central there's usually not more than 4 ppl, but sometimes none i guess.

7p central seems like primetime on weekdays, although yesterday there was a raid at like noon and there were like 14 lvl 50s on. What time zone are you in?

est. Usually do homework or other stuff around then. Might change my schedule around ;P

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
So I'm for sure getting this game Tuesday. Now I'm trying to narrow down what class to play. I was looking at Jedi Knight sentinel but ever thing I've been reading says it's pretty broken right now. They are rather under-powered for pure dps, other classes do better, and need heavy gear to even come close to par.

The other class was the sage since I like to heal and dps, but I also hear a ton of people play them. I played a Rogue in WoW when it first came out and so did like 40% of my server. This made it a pain to ever get groups and I really don't want a repeat of that. I mainly PvE with some PvP mixed in so I don't know what to pick.

The Smuggler is the last class I'm looking at and seems to fit my heal/dps and it's not broken
from what I can tell. So GAF let me know some insights too better pick. I'm going to go Republic also, but not totally locked in stone.

Don't listen to the whiners. I play a marauder and I'm either 1 or 2 on dps (at least according to the EV 1v1 fight). Marauders bring a lot of group utility to operations along with top of the line dps. In warzones, we have some trouble killing healers or getting kited due to lack of a stun/knockdown, but we still do insane damage if played right. Marauder is the definition of a pure dps machine. It's tougher than most classes and requires you to pop a bunch of cool downs to live and dish out pain, but it's very rewarding in the end.

Plus, there's a good chance marauders might get a couple buffs in 1.2 (at least carnage will--if bioware really cares about balance), and sages might get the nerfbat. MMO classes are always fluctuating on a monthly basis, so roll with what class concept/theme you like the most, not which is currently the best--that will always change.

Alur

Had a blast pvping with emp gaf tonight. Didnt lose a match.

And finally, Battlemaster #3 for the GAF Empire. (Kruul)

Also, those bus shots are nice. Except for the fact I don't have a bus yet. I was in both of those pics but you can't even see me cause you guys covered me up!

HBroward

Also, those bus shots are nice. Except for the fact I don't have a bus yet. I was in both of those pics but you can't even see me cause you guys covered me up!

Congrats! Anbokr should be there anytime now, I'm still a week away at least.

Are you going to play on GAF server? Always looking for more peeps :)

I play a gunslinger, the DPS is definitely rock solid and ranged DPS is ALWAYS preferred over melee DPS. That doesn't mean melee DPS is gimped, just that in general it's much easier to find groups as ranged DPS. Melee DPS requires way more skill to play correctly and be good, and for almost all bosses being in melee range means you'll get face stomped at some point.

It took me about 10-15 levels to be comfortable with the cover mechanic of smuggler / gunslinger since your DPS is way gimped if you're not in cover. There's also some fights that feel like they're specifically designed to piss off gunslingers, because they require kiting over a very large area meaning it's very hard to get in cover to unleash some of your good abilities.

The good thing about Sage, however, is that you can easily just respec between heals and dps at will, if that's your thing. For gunslinger you are dps and that's it.

I will say that we have quite a few sages in GAF Republic and that most are DPS sages, not healing sages. Regardless, go with what you like. Or, maybe just play each class to level 10 and see what you think.

It sounds like you really want to make a commando. Can heal and dps. Assault Cannons. And a somewhat better class story than Sages if you like Mass Effect.

Tess3ract

Banned

They're not a "Bus" it's a Cadillac get it right! The rectangle ones are Buicks

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Arg. Killing this lord holed up in his estate on the second planet is proving very difficult. Died several times now... any tips?

Heysoos

How was Qyzen those last few levels?

I dumped him as soon as I got Nadia. At level 40 I respecced to DPS. Leveling as a healer was such a pain. :/ Went Hybrid TK/Balance. I used Nadia for until around 45/46 but I got extremely frustrated with how close fights with Elites were. Getting mobbed by 2 strongs meant death. So I geared up Theran and used him the rest of the way. Made everything else extremely less frustrating. Back to healer now though. :)

Tess3ract

Banned
Yeah once you get nadia there's no reason to use anything else. Nadia fucking MELTS everything.

Put some purples on her and she tanks just fine

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Due to the support in this thread, in combination with my cousin getting the game the other day, I got on last night. First time playing it for more than 30 minutes in about three weeks.

I had a blast! :)

Went from level 39 to 40, and am about halfway to 41; doing nothing but PvP. I figured playing as JK Sent frustrates me, so I'd "overlevel" a bit. I'm still early in Act 2, and so once I hit41 tomorrow, I'll continue with my story.

Also, I feel like an idiot. I haven't even looked into anything to do with PvP gear, and didn't know there was a 1000 max for Warzone commendations. Derp. So I've probably been chilling at 1000 for the last fifty PvP matches. Arg. Though I did get my first set of PvP gear. I don't know what it was called, but it was better than anything I could find on the GTN for my character.

I actually won about 1/3 of my Warzone matches, which is A LOT better than my W:L ratio from earlier. That said, my two friends playing empire side say they win about 80% of their PvP matches. Which seems incredibly unfair. But alas.

It's amazing how quality communication and good team work can overcome the odds. There were a few games where I was all but sure we were gonna lose, but everyone was helpful, healers were good, and we were calling out stuff constantly and managed to win. Playing "Civil War" with a good team that communicates well is an *awesome* experience. It's just a shame that doesn't happen too often.

QUESTION: Just to help settle my nerves, can anyone comment on the amount of Hit Points I should have as a Jedi Knight Sent at level 40? I have 7,870HP right now. Obviously, it's going to be dependent on your gear and whatnot, but I just want to make sure I'm in the right ballpark and I'm not missing something.

Sith Warrior.

Yea but Jug or Maurader? With Jug you should be able to just tank while Vette stays back and deals the damage. If your having problem as a Maurader, perhaps try to instead take your ship droid along which does work as a healer since you don't have your healer companion yet till Balmorra

Heysoos

Due to the support in this thread, in combination with my cousin getting the game the other day, I got on last night. First time playing it for more than 30 minutes in about three weeks.

I had a blast! :)

Went from level 39 to 40, and am about halfway to 41; doing nothing but PvP. I figured playing as JK Sent frustrates me, so I'd "overlevel" a bit. I'm still early in Act 2, and so once I hit41 tomorrow, I'll continue with my story.

No shit lol. o_O Most people finish act 2 at around 32-33. You'll probably be able to do just your class storyline the rest of your way until the planets catch up to you.

Also, I feel like an idiot. I haven't even looked into anything to do with PvP gear, and didn't know there was a 1000 max for Warzone commendations. Derp. So I've probably been chilling at 1000 for the last fifty PvP matches. Arg. Though I did get my first set of PvP gear. I don't know what it was called, but it was better than anything I could find on the GTN for my character.

I actually won about 1/3 of my Warzone matches, which is A LOT better than my W:L ratio from earlier. That said, my two friends playing empire side say they win about 80% of their PvP matches. Which seems incredibly unfair. But alas.

It's amazing how quality communication and good team work can overcome the odds. There were a few games where I was all but sure we were gonna lose, but everyone was helpful, healers were good, and we were calling out stuff constantly and managed to win. Playing "Civil War" with a good team that communicates well is an *awesome* experience. It's just a shame that doesn't happen too often.

Yeah, Republic has gotten much better at Warzones at around when the 50 brackets hit. Once the 50s with a bunch of Expertise were in their own brackets, it seems like the Republic flourished. I win around 50% of my matches now. During Republic peak hours, win percentage easily goes up to 75%.
QUESTION: Just to help settle my nerves, can anyone comment on the amount of Hit Points I should have as a Jedi Knight Sent at level 40? I have 7,870HP right now. Obviously, it's going to be dependent on your gear and whatnot, but I just want to make sure I'm in the right ballpark and I'm not missing something.

I think you should be fine. Your health doesn't really start jumping by much until you start getting end game PVE/PVP gear.

I feel awful that I haven't been playing this, but it doesn't run so well on my laptop and it hasn't grabbed my interest so much that I feel compelled to play in spite of my technical issues. With Mass Effect 3 coming up, I'm probably going to cancel at the end of my current time, and come back whenever I finally get around to building a gaming PC (which would handle it with ease.)

I feel awful that I haven't been playing this, but it doesn't run so well on my laptop and it hasn't grabbed my interest so much that I feel compelled to play in spite of my technical issues. With Mass Effect 3 coming up, I'm probably going to cancel at the end of my current time, and come back whenever I finally get around to building a gaming PC (which would handle it with ease.)

Lol a gaming pc wouldn't magically give you awesome performance. Got to make sure all the stars align. XD

Nightz

I just finished Balmorra + the bonus series on my BH, but I still have like 4 or 5 heroics that I haven't done. I know I can just skip them, but the OCD is kicking in!

I just finished Balmorra + the bonus series on my BH, but I still have like 4 or 5 heroics that I haven't done. I know I can just skip them, but the OCD is kicking in!

If you want to do them do them, but you will probably get to points where you just don't care or want to get off a planet and move on

Just skip them. I only ever did 2 man heroic quests with my buddy (not many) and I was never disadvantaged with exp or commendations.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
No shit lol. o_O Most people finish act 2 at around 32-33. You'll probably be able to do just your class storyline the rest of your way until the planets catch up to you.

Yeah, Republic has gotten much better at Warzones at around when the 50 brackets hit. Once the 50s with a bunch of Expertise were in their own brackets, it seems like the Republic flourished. I win around 50% of my matches now. During Republic peak hours, win percentage easily goes up to 75%.

I think you should be fine. Your health doesn't really start jumping by much until you start getting end game PVE/PVP gear.

Okay, thank you for the breakdown! I appreciate it. It sucks, because while I know I'm over-leveling, I was overleveled at least ~3 levels when I started Act II, and one of the very first encounters brought me to my knees. Some of you might remember the constant bitching I did ;p But complaining never solved anything, and so I found a new way to do this, lol.

cpp_is_king said:
Are you Triss on rep gaf? If so, was good to see you on :D

Yup, that's me! :) Thank you! And who might you be on Rep GAF? I had a great time the last couple days; and I really appreciate everyone answering my very amateur questions.

Trying to run a friend through Cademimu and as soon as we take the really long elevator down to the bottom the game client instantly crashes on both of us at the same time. Happened twice now at the same spot, and the game client has never crashed on me for any other reason before. Has this happened to anyone else? Has anyone successfully cleared this recently? Wondering if the FP is bugged.

zugzug

Just skip them. I only ever did 2 man heroic quests with my buddy (not many) and I was never disadvantaged with exp or commendations.

prolly cuz this game is to fucking easy to play and Game designers/producers/marketing people don't care that they are shoving one playstyle upon every gamer in the MMO market.

Learn to make hardmode servers plz k thx you stupid game industry people.

Btw, willing to pay for a vanilla server. :p

Ken

Trying to run a friend through Cademimu and as soon as we take the really long elevator down to the bottom the game client instantly crashes on both of us at the same time. Happened twice now at the same spot, and the game client has never crashed on me for any other reason before. Has this happened to anyone else? Has anyone successfully cleared this recently? Wondering if the FP is bugged.

I ran through Cademimu with a friend recently but have not encountered that elevator bug. We did have a bug with the final boss though.

I ran through Cademimu with a friend recently but have not encountered that elevator bug. We did have a bug with the final boss though.

After 4 crashes we figured it out. Guss (my companion) was getting stuck in the wall at the top of the elevator. I think when I aggroed mobs something about him being stuck and trying to participate in the fight was causing the client to crash. Not sure. I dismissed Guss and we were able to proceed.

Top Bottom