• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I'm holding off on leveling a Sorc because I'm hoping for Chiss sith characters with legacy. I will be severely disappointed if that class/race combo is neglected.

the fluff?

Edit: er, meant to quote Battlemonkey

Enosh

Playable Torguta, Voss, and Nautolan would be easy additions since they already a bunch in the game and seem to be customizable pretty easily with how you can equip them or variety in the npcs presented.

The issue with head conflicts and helmets would just have to be ignored as they are with lot of the Twileks wearing helms.
I'll bet good money on at least the Voss and Togruta coming in an expansion

Tess3ract

Banned
(Edit: These patch notes were available about 5 minutes ago on the http://www.swtor.com/test-center/patchnotes page, but now it says patch notes unavailable. I copy/pasted them myself.)

1.1.4 PTR Patch Notes:

I bolded what I feel is the important stuff.
1. "we don't know how to fix the binding issue, so we're just gonna perma unbind it, herp derp"
2. They're fixing the turrets on alderaan? That shit should have been bolded holy fuck
3. countdown timers over the ability icons? Now we're getting somewhere!

Giolon

1. "we don't know how to fix the binding issue, so we're just gonna perma unbind it, herp derp"
There's really no reason in a retail game to have a dedicated key bound to filing a bug report when you can just as easily type /bug, or access it through the Customer Service panel (since it's just a Customer Service ticket anyway). It's a holdover from beta that shouldn't have existed this long.

3. countdown timers over the ability icons? Now we're getting somewhere!
As for the UI cooldowns, you can see a video of the various new options here:
http://www.swtor.com/blog/incoming-changes-global-cooldown-ui

I'm sorry but, ball carriers should not allowed to be targetable by force pulls, and I honestly wouldn't mind if they couldn't utilize leaps either, but that would hinder tanks too much.

You really can't stop a team that force speeds as a group and just force pulls constantly.

I don't mind Sorc/Sage damage, I don't mind their healing, and I don't mind that they make great ball carriers.

I DO mind that they have way too many tools at their disposal.

Tess3ract

Banned
There's really no reason in a retail game to have a dedicated key bound to filing a bug report when you can just as easily type /bug, or access it through the Customer Service panel (since it's just a Customer Service ticket anyway). It's a holdover from beta that shouldn't have existed this long.

As for the UI cooldowns, you can see a video of the various new options here:
http://www.swtor.com/blog/incoming-c...al-cooldown-ui
I like the changes, I prefer style 3. Those cooldown timers are what should have been in the game from the start.

I saw the video though and the dude was a clicker. Never acceptable.

CzarTim

I'm sorry but, ball carriers should not allowed to be targetable by force pulls, and I honestly wouldn't mind if they couldn't utilize leaps either, but that would hinder tanks too much..
They should make it so ball carriers can't be CC'd and can't use any speed/leap/pull.

zugzug

Worse thing they coulda done story wise was putting smugglers on same planet at Troopers, you don't ever feel like a smuggler but a glorified Freedom Fighter on your first two planets nonetheless. Way to much Gunslinger class in my Smuggler class.

2 SWG MMOs in a row whereyou don't Smuggle as a Smuggler!

Dumb Story line to.

However best single liners in game.

Edit: oh I predict a fast decline in member population of the Sith on Ajunta Pall, warzone losses are stacking up fast now and even on imperial fleet the whining and angry raging is commencing about the losses in Warzones to Republic. Queu Faction imbalance to a server that was pretty well balanced to begin with. However saying that I also just do not find the warzones much fun to begin with.

gatti-man

I'm sorry but, ball carriers should not allowed to be targetable by force pulls, and I honestly wouldn't mind if they couldn't utilize leaps either, but that would hinder tanks too much.

You really can't stop a team that force speeds as a group and just force pulls constantly.

I don't mind Sorc/Sage damage, I don't mind their healing, and I don't mind that they make great ball carriers.

I DO mind that they have way too many tools at their disposal.

Something needs to be done but i think banning the pull without banning the leap would be terrible. I think keep them all just lengthen the cooldown, especially to force speed. That is just super cheap.

So now that a good amount of time has passed and the hype has died down a bit, how is the game? I was considering it at launch but wasn't sure if it was worth the investement. Here are my questions:

1. How is the end game content? Tons of stuff to do. Is it on the level of WoW?
2. How are the dungeons/raids and group mechanics (PVE)
3. How is the PVP?
4. How are the guilds and other community features?
5. Are the quests fun and is there a ton of grinding?

Thanks.

It is between this game and Guild Wars 2. Hard to decide lol.

Edit: oh I predict a fast decline in member population of the Sith on Ajunta Pall, warzone losses are stacking up fast now and even on imperial fleet the whining and angry raging is commencing about the losses in Warzones to Republic. Queu Faction imbalance to a server that was pretty well balanced to begin with. However saying that I also just do not find the warzones much fun to begin with.
The same thing seems to be the case on my server, Begeren Colony. The Imps are just downright horrible at PVP and we have very few, good, PVP guilds/premades to deal with the Pubs. The smaller population of Pubs makes it easier for them to work with each other and use strategies and it shows, premade or not, they win a grand majority of the time.

Ilum however is the complete reverse, only because we have the numbers to overwhelm easily.

Had the day off today and pretty much PVP'd all day, I'm pretty sure I've won less than 10 games. Very frustrating.

Something needs to be done but i think banning the pull without banning the leap would be terrible. I think keep them all just lengthen the cooldown, especially to force speed. That is just super cheap.
Yeah I dunno, they definitely need to do something fast, but honestly it's only Huttball that is really ruined by these mechanics. Hopefully with the added WZ and less frequent Huttball, it won't be so bad.

It just frustrates me as a sniper. I generally play defense in Huttball (because the Imps on my server suck) and sometimes I just don't have the time to deal with 2-3 force users assisting a ball carrier.

On a side note, I switched to a hybrid Engy/Lethality build and I'm loving it. I wish my Powertech was this fun to play.

So now that a good amount of time has passed and the hype has died down a bit, how is the game? I was considering it at launch but wasn't sure if it was worth the investement. Here are my questions:

1. How is the end game content? Tons of stuff to do. Is it on the level of WoW?
2. How are the dungeons/raids and group mechanics (PVE)
3. How is the PVP?
4. How are the guilds and other community features?
5. Are the quests fun and is there a ton of grinding?

Thanks.

It is between this game and Guild Wars 2. Hard to decide lol.

You might want to wait till March as the game is supposed to be getting a big update along with a lot of changes to the current systems with 1.2

1. Similar set up to wow though obviously now her eas much content as wow at end game. No Mmo launched now is going to have as much content as wow has accumulated over the years and expansions.new content coming I March update.

2. Typical mmo fair, some good, some bad/bland. The unique ones with story elements are great, while some feel like rush job generic dungeons

3. Pvp is a mixed bag. Some tweaking needed on classes and world pvp doesn't exist really.

4. Lacking, though new features are coming in march and beyond.

5. Game has very little grinding, tons of quests and really more quests than needed. Game is generous with giving out xp for various activities. Quest design is typical mmo fire, though story related content is real good.

Zafir

The same thing seems to be the case on my server, Begeren Colony. The Imps are just downright horrible at PVP and we have very few, good, PVP guilds/premades to deal with the Pubs. The smaller population of Pubs makes it easier for them to work with each other and use strategies and it shows, premade or not, they win a grand majority of the time.

Ilum however is the complete reverse, only because we have the numbers to overwhelm easily.

Had the day off today and pretty much PVP'd all day, I'm pretty sure I've won less than 10 games. Very frustrating.
Similar case on my server, it's part of the reason why I gave up going for rank 60 on my juggernaut, despite being so close to it(half way through rank 58). It's fine if you can pull together a couple of friends and run a premade, but pugging it is just not worth the trouble. I think part of the issue is the republic team always seems to have healers, where as you never seen them on empire side. Having an healer can really tip the game in your favour.

Cystm

Hey guys, I am going to be putting together some stuff for |OT2| with the approval of Billychu, and I was hoping that some of you would like to contribute some screenshots.

• First and foremost, I would like some hi-res group shots of Republic GAF and Imperial GAF. If it's on the fleets - cool, but I think some boss kill shots would be better.
  • I could also use some hi-res shots of the different classes on each faction. (I have found shots online, but I would like to sort of pay homage to the regular users of this thread as much as possible.)
  • Obviously make the shots interesting (instead of just a profile shot of your character standing perfectly still :p)
I don't want to derail the thread either, so please PM your shots or if you have any suggestions. I plan on expanding on the end game information for newcomers to the thread (both PvE & PvP) and highlight the strengths of the game.

No 1 on pub gaf no more.

Game is bomba!!!

I hate grinding with no one to chat with :(

I made a char on Republic Gaf but I just can't put in time leveling another toon ... I have 3 scattered about different servers as friends and families quit playing. *sigh*

On the server I play with my in-law, during the last two weeks no one ever log in anymore even my brother-in-law who got me to make a toon there. Bioware got to move faster in putting in more contents and fixing bugs.

I think they were too generous with experience points and people get to 50 way too fast. There are a lot of contents but I usually out-level most of the stuff. I have to essentially stop playing and just so the rest of my RL friend can catch up (which end up to be a mistake since it seems they all have quit).

I really like the game despite the problems and really hope it can last longer than 3 months.

Takes me so long to do my dailies and I always get invited to random groups all the time so I haven't even had time to make a Pub alt, not that it really bothers me.

If Empire GAF is raiding tonight and needs an extra healer hit me up on Azura, i've done nightmare EV this week but still need normal EV, Normal and Hard KP.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Code:

The Chiss rarely ever are force sensitive, and believed to just simply not capable of it.

That doesn't even make sense, as they are essentially just an evolutionary offshoot of humanity. I know force chiss are super rare, and a slave chiss doesn't really make sense either, but I really don't care. I want a chiss sorc. And seeing as how I'm pretty sure they are currently the only Empire race that can't be inquisitor, then it seems like a fairly likely step for Legacy bonus. I mean, what else would they be doing empire-side, Sith bounty hunters?

Jbird34

No 1 on pub gaf no more.

Game is bomba!!!

I hate grinding with no one to chat with :(

Mass Effect 3 Demo and Kingdoms of Amular have kind of distracted me from focusing all my time on TOR but I haven't gone anywhere. Also I think we are about to have a few people from another guild join us, so just hang tight it will get better!

Jmac71

Best GAF is great. What we may lack in sheer numbers, we make up for in quality. Hobes and I (Hawk) ran HM False Emperor last night and killed it! Between that, dailies, and PVP I've got plenty to do at 50.

CzarTim

Mass Effect 3 Demo and Kingdoms of Amular have kind of distracted me from focusing all my time on TOR but I haven't gone anywhere. Also I think we are about to have a few people from another guild join us, so just hang tight it will get better!

I am kind of waiting for 1.2 to really jump into things again.

mcfrank

Q&A is up

DarthBelkar: Can we look forward to server-wide special seasonal / short-term events?

Daniel Erickson: Yes! Expect them to fit into the world and setting, involve a fair bit of discovery, and offer special rewards that will be there one day and then gone forever. And expect them soon.

Darthinfimus: Do you plan to implement a /roll or /random command for use in master looter situations?

Damion Schubert: Diceslingers of the world rejoice! /roll has already been implemented on our internal development servers and should be coming to you guys Real Soon Now (in an upcoming weekly patch).

Relayinabox: Are there any plans for a show/hide companion headgear option?

Damion Schubert: Yep, we have plans. It won't be in Game Update 1.2, but is currently in the works.

NiklasWB: When will you make it possible for Force-using characters to pull up/down their hoods on their robes?

Damion Schubert: This is in the works now. It won't be in Game Update 1.2, but should get done in the next major update after that. And yes, we will extend this functionality to your Force-slinging companions as well.

ehlnofey: Will there be any changes/improvements made to the Galactic Trade Network system, and when will it be implemented?”

Damion Schubert: We know that the GTN needs a lot of love, and work is currently underway to improve this. Watch this space for more news!

GnovaD: Are there any plans to introduce mobile apps to the game? Eg. Use smart phone/tablet to send companions on missions while offline.

Damion Schubert: Let's just say that this has always been a dream of mine for crew skills - it's almost as if this design was created specifically with this in mind, doesn't it? Good news, sometimes dreams do come true! The bad news is that I have no ETA for you, though, as this is a significant technical endeavor.

Bobonar: Will we be able to take the modifications out of our endgame pvp-sets and put them into a set that we like better (design-wise) and keep the bonuses?

Emmanuel Lusinchi: Yes, the set bonus will be carried by Armoring mods that work just like regular mods except that they only fit into specific types of items, such as chest items or boots items. So, for example, the set bonus from a chest piece can be moved to another chest piece, and the set bonus from a helmet can be moved to another helmet.

HollowPoint: There has been a large push in the community for chat bubbles, especially with a toggle option for those who don't want them. Is a chat bubble system in the works? If so, when can we expect it to be implemented?

Damion Schubert: They're definitely on the list. We’ve got many active roleplayers in the dev team and chat bubbles have always been important to us. We actually had chat bubbles in beta, but there was unfortunately some serious performance issues that our implementation caused that, for example, made things really suck in warzones and the fleet. They’ll be coming soon, but in priority, the GUI team is focused first on GUI customization. I'll have a better idea of timing once we get past that. And yes, for people who hate them, whenever we do them, they'll be toggleable.

RuQu: Can you provide some details on Healer class design philosophy? Commando/Scoundrel AoE does not scale with group size due to player caps. Are they not intended to fill the raid-healer role? Scoundrels can be highly efficient, but have no tools for doing a short burst of healing.

In short, what is the design intention for each of the healers, and is it intended for them to be balanced so that any possible combination is competitive in Operations, or is a certain mix expected?

Georg Zoeller: Our stance is that all full healer specs should be viable for all type of content, which is the case, even for 16 man Operations. Our own players have no issues clearing any of the content in the game, on all difficulty levels, with any healer spec. Data from the Live game shows Operations, at all sizes, being successfully run with Commando and Scoundrel healers. It is expected for certain Operations bosses to create challenges for different healer archetypes (e.g. due to mobility requirements), but overall, every healer archetype is capable of successfully healing through any Operations and Flashpoint content in the game (currently and in the future).

With regards to your question about Commando/Scoundrel Area of Effect healing not scaling to group size, please understand that no heal, on any class, scales with group size. The most powerful Area of Effect heals in the game (Salvation/Revivification) affects up to 8 players, but does not scale with group size. These abilities are very costly, have an activation time requirement and require the targets to stand in a localized area for ten seconds to receive the full benefit. We plan on improving the overall Area of Effect healing performance of the Mercenary/Commando in the next major Game Update (1.2) by increasing the number of targets affected by Kolto Missile/Kolto Bomb.

As for Scoundrels having no tools for short burst healing, we don’t agree with that assessment. A scoundrel, for example, is capable of producing rather significant burst healing output by using Upper Hand gained from Underworld Medicine or Kolto Injection to trigger an instant Emergency Medpack or Surgical probe when needed. That said, we certainly think there’s room for improvements (and our upcoming Game Update 1.2 has a sizeable chunk of such improvements). For example, we are shifting the healing created by the Kolto Cloud ability to be front loaded in 1.2 to allow it to act as an emergency Area of Effect healing tool.

Finally, the perception of a specific class being not desirable can also be affected by the desirability of other classes. For example, Sage/Inquisitor healers are currently able to exceed our intended healing performance at times by affecting multiple heals with the same Conveyance/Force Bending buff. Game Update 1.2 will remove the ability to do so.

Fu-bear: Can you please confirm the exact mechanics behind Taunts? The tooltips purely state that it forces a mob to attack for X seconds, yet I've read reports that the skill appears to equalise threat like a traditional taunt. Can you clarify this?

Georg Zoeller: Taunts work in two ways. First, they instantly put you on top of the target’s threat list. Then, they place a short duration effect on the taunted target forcing them to attack you. Assuming that you then lose threat (say, you just stand there) the NPC will be forced to attack you for the duration of the Taunt. Afterwards, the AI will resume attacking targets based on threat order. If another Taunt is applied after yours, the most recently applied Taunt takes precedence.

Please note this is assuming regular threat rules – there are certain situations in the game, especially unique boss fights, which may cause NPCs to specifically ignore targets. In these cases, an ignored target will not be able to gain threat even with a taunt. In general, these situations are messaged to the player through effects on their buff bar – something we’re looking to make more visible in the future.

Gladoss, titdiscus, Leoran: What do you plan to against Warzones’ AFK, more particularly about players who leave Warzones ? Will there be sanctions for this type of behavior?

Gabe Amatangelo: It is not sanctioned behavior. In Game Update 1.2 we will be making changes to the Warzone rewards system, which will de-incentivize this type of behavior. This will include the removal of the interim bag/quest system, the introduction of the direct purchase of gear from Warzone and Ranked Warzone commendations, 14 new objective-based medals and participation scaling the rewards. Additionally, players will have the option to vote kick idlers. Kicked players will not be able to re-queue for several minutes.

Lexiekaboom: 16 man Operations are much harder than 8 man Operations (to the point where most guilds can easily clear hard mode 8 man before being able to clear 16 man easy mode) but there is no loot difference at all to doing them. It's better to send your 16 man raid force to clear two 8 man instances .Is this oversight or design? What will be done to offset this in the future?

Gabe Amatangelo: This is not per design. The teams have been addressing this in the weekly patches to some degree and more so in Game Update 1.2. It is intended that 16 player mode is slightly easier than 8 player mode due to the fact that getting and coordinating 16 players is a larger hurdle in and of itself.

Mairu

Gabe Amatangelo: This is not per design. The teams have been addressing this in the weekly patches to some degree and more so in Game Update 1.2. It is intended that 16 player mode is slightly easier than 8 player mode due to the fact that getting and coordinating 16 players is a larger hurdle in and of itself.
This makes me kind of sad and disappointed with whoever is in charge with the endgame content in SWTOR. I did cancel my account but I always thought I might reactivate at a later point when there's more stuff to do at max level. I don't really agree with this stance on endgame raiding and with the current difficulty I can't imagine them getting the 16 man versions of the current raids to be even easier than the 8 man versions without making the 8 man versions significantly more difficult.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
That was a pretty decent Q&A but I'm really hoping we'll get some real details on the 1.2 update soon.

CzarTim

In Game Update 1.2 we will be making changes to the Warzone rewards system, which will de-incentivize this type of behavior. This will include the removal of the interim bag/quest system, the introduction of the direct purchase of gear from Warzone and Ranked Warzone commendations, 14 new objective-based medals and participation scaling the rewards. Additionally, players will have the option to vote kick idlers. Kicked players will not be able to re-queue for several minutes.
This is awesome too.

Realyn

Hit 60 some days ago as a Rep. 15 or so bags and 1 token.

Imps are very poor in bgs. I´m playing a dd sage and nearly 90% of the time I duo with a guardian/shadow mate its a win ... Btw I agree, that sages are hugely op.

And I´m not even starting about Ilum. Server ratio is something like 1:2,5 in favor of the imp side. But we have a ts raid every evening with 40-80 people on ts. It´s the most basic rush and retreat shit for one month now, and they still fall for it.

Wiped 3 hours at Soa today with every possible bug you can image. Missing pieces(no shit, they are back in), random aggro stage 3, people in mindtraps at the end of stage 2 in another instance.

Kick votes in bg? Oh great. I allready have the feeling my server is full of unemployed morons who flame 24/7, now they can even kick vote against each other. Just add a fkn leaver debuff.

Got nearly 6 millions credits by selling ship parts and good epic earpieces.

Yeah well, thats pretty much it. I really did not powerplay like I did in DAoC or WoW. In fact I really tried to take my time .. but jeez, I´m so done with this game - sadly.
And I am are really mad at BW. Aren´t they supposed to have like 400 devs? And they can't add fkn /roll for 2(!!!) months ?
All I'm reading in the Q&A is: Yeah, coming soon, yeah yeah guys, keep your sub up, that is coming soon as well, just wait, we are trying to make this and this happen ...

Francois424

Neo Member
(snip) I think they were too generous with experience points and people get to 50 way too fast. There are a lot of contents but I usually out-level most of the stuff.

My opinion as well. But this is coming from someone that played FF11 for years, and then played WoW for another 1½ years afterwards.
Hard to play a game "fresh out of the oven" after playing the named two.

If we keep outleveling stuff tho, it DOES mean we make too much XP. And I don't PvP and didn't do space battles more than once each.
They should drop XP by something like 20-25% imho, or increase each level's XP requirement (At least for levels 17-30).

gatti-man

Hit 60 some days ago as a Rep. 15 or so bags and 1 token.

Imps are very poor in bgs. I´m playing a dd sage and nearly 90% of the time I duo with a guardian/shadow mate its a win ... Btw I agree, that sages are hugely op.

And I´m not even starting about Ilum. Server ratio is something like 1:2,5 in favor of the imp side. But we have a ts raid every evening with 40-80 people on ts. It´s the most basic rush and retreat shit for one month now, and they still fall for it.

Wiped 3 hours at Soa today with every possible bug you can image. Missing pieces(no shit, they are back in), random aggro stage 3, people in mindtraps at the end of stage 2 in another instance.

Kick votes in bg? Oh great. I allready have the feeling my server is full of unemployed morons who flame 24/7, now they can even kick vote against each other. Just add a fkn leaver debuff.

Got nearly 6 millions credits by selling ship parts and good epic earpieces.

Yeah well, thats pretty much it. I really did not powerplay like I did in DAoC or WoW. In fact I really tried to take my time .. but jeez, I´m so done with this game - sadly.
And I am are really mad at BW. Aren´t they supposed to have like 400 devs? And they can't add fkn /roll for 2(!!!) months ?
All I'm reading in the Q&A is: Yeah, coming soon, yeah yeah guys, keep your sub up, that is coming soon as well, just wait, we are trying to make this and this happen ...

I agree that overall reps win more matches. In the beginning it wasnt this way but as the herd has caught up imp lvl 50 pvp is getting worse by the day. Also since reps are fewer they play better together. Reps comunicate better and actually use tactics. The only reason imps control illum is our zerg power. We suck at pvp when taken as a whole atm.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
My opinion as well. But this is coming from someone that played FF11 for years, and then played WoW for another 1½ years afterwards.
Hard to play a game "fresh out of the oven" after playing the named two.

If we keep outleveling stuff tho, it DOES mean we make too much XP. And I don't PvP and didn't do space battles more than once each.
They should drop XP by something like 20-25% imho, or increase each level's XP requirement (At least for levels 17-30).

Yeah, I've purposely skipped a lot of content so that I wasn't overleveled because then everything is too easy, but I'm looking at it as still having a lot of fresh content on my first alt.

MIKEAL

Banned
Cancelled my sub, don't have the time for raids and the rare chance i do i'm pretty useless. Was a fun game though, maybe i'll re-sub over the summertime when my schedule is more flexible. Was fun Empire Gaf

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Yo can ferny or the current empire guild master please transfer <The Gaf Empire> leadership to Gyrs or Trevin (these 2 have led raids and organized events for the last month or so--they are basically acting guild masters -_-). At this point, it's just selfish to hold the title when you're never online. Right now it doesn't matter much, but as the game gets more and more guild features (i.e. guild bank), we're going to need an active guild master that's probably involved in raids. Please, for the continued awesomeness of <The Gaf Empire>, pass off lead.

Top Bottom