• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

DarkFlow

Banned
If I buy a boxed copy, can I input the code and download the game? I don't have a optical drive on my rig. Also they give you a month when you buy like most mmo's correct.

Giolon

If I buy a boxed copy, can I input the code and download the game? I don't have a optical drive on my rig. Also they give you a month when you buy like most mmo's correct.

I believe so, yes, but I'd you buy a boxed copy wouldn't you install from disc so you can bypass the 20GB download?

Also, yes you do get 1 month free?

Alight, Thanks guys. Not looking forward to a 27GB download, but at least I download at about 4Mbs. Anyone know how well this runs on a i3-2120 and a 6870?

The game client is mostly CPU bound, as well as being a massive memory hog. Even still, turn off shadows and you'll probably be fine.

It's not GREAT on any configuration because most of the problems do not seem (to me anyway) like client / rendering bottlenecks but rather server bottlenecks.

Hopefully there will be continued improvements with server performance though. Don't get me wrong, it's not awful or anything, but just don't go expecting BF3 type graphics and performance.

Ramirez

Why does the game run worse in doors? I can get upwards to 100+ FPS outdoors, but in doors, I'm usually around 40-50 and sometimes dipping to 30, makes no sense to me.

DarkFlow

Banned
The game client is mostly CPU bound, as well as being a massive memory hog. Even still, turn off shadows and you'll probably be fine.

It's not GREAT on any configuration because most of the problems do not seem (to me anyway) like client / rendering bottlenecks but rather server bottlenecks.

Hopefully there will be continued improvements with server performance though. Don't get me wrong, it's not awful or anything, but just don't go expecting BF3 type graphics and performance.

Okay no biggie. As long as I can get it to pump out stable FPS on say medium I'll be happy, Thanks for the info. Soon as my parts get here on Tuesday for my rig I plan on Joining GAF. :)

gatti-man

Yo can ferny or the current empire guild master please transfer <The Gaf Empire> leadership to Gyrs or Trevin (these 2 have led raids and organized events for the last month or so--they are basically acting guild masters -_-). At this point, it's just selfish to hold the title when you're never online. Right now it doesn't matter much, but as the game gets more and more guild features (i.e. guild bank), we're going to need an active guild master that's probably involved in raids. Please, for the continued awesomeness of <The Gaf Empire>, pass off lead.

I dont even know who our guildmaster is lol.....

Dunlop

8 man HM EV is much easier than 16man normal EV

The never endling limitations with this UI continue to baffle me

We could not use master looter as there is no /roll option (guild has no dkp system). When the items appear we have to literally need on anything we could possibly use because of the short ass timer.

It happened once where there was 2 merc Rakata gloves and 2 mercs. Luckily the roll gods were nice and we each one one, but it could have happened where 1 person would have won both.

Ken

Alight, Thanks guys. Not looking forward to a 27GB download, but at least I download at about 4Mbs. Anyone know how well this runs on a i3-2120 and a 6870?
You can download the client without having a CD key to enter, so you could start the download now.

KePoW

Banned
Why does the game run worse in doors? I can get upwards to 100+ FPS outdoors, but in doors, I'm usually around 40-50 and sometimes dipping to 30, makes no sense to me.

I heard it's because the engine automatically turns on ambient occlusion at High settings, which can be killer on framerates. Indoors/buildings would be affected more.

If this is actually true, they really need to make ambient occlusion an option you can turn off.

KaoticBlaze

<---- Sciion...lol thank you all....you all know im on all the time and try to be a part of everything we do so you dont have to worry about me never being on. as far as gyrs goes, he sets up and runs all the raids and helps everyone out all the time and i dont think anyone has as many hours logged as he does so i made a new rank for our guild and hes my Lt. second in command of the guild and hes basically got all the same guild powers as i do...he'll help me run it when im not on cuz i do go college as well. so you guys can come to me or gyrs whoever is on at the time. :)

God I hate how Anchorhead (the city) still performs like shit. I need to get my commando off this planet pronto!

And now that I somehow convinced the parents that I could bring my ps3 to college... I might play less SWTOR =/

When are there people on for best gaf? Either everyone quit or I get on at empty times which is usually 10pm est or so.

Ramirez

I heard it's because the engine automatically turns on ambient occlusion at High settings, which can be killer on framerates. Indoors/buildings would be affected more.

If this is actually true, they really need to make ambient occlusion an option you can turn off.

What exactly does ambient occlusion do?

Assuming you are right, the point still stands though. Those two are instrumental in everything that is GAF Empire at this point. Just seems like a strange decision to make from you.
Sciion gave Gyrs all the Guildmaster powers anyway so I don't think it's a problem at all.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Just started playing today and made it to level 7. Having fun on my own for now, but I plan on joining up with some friends later.

CAW

Been out of game for awhile. Going to give it another shot. I rolled a Smuggler on KV named CAW (original, I know :p).

CAW

I would have tbh, but I have 4+ Imps level 30+ and the thought of doing those same side quests again..... ugh (lol).

That, and I love everything Han Solo and from what I've seen of the Smuggler class, story wise, they made him/her just as cocky so I'm looking for to that.

I have a 35 OP and a 20 Sniper on another server and enjoyed both, play style wise. I'll just have to decide which AC to select for the Smuggler. Are healers needed for the Republic guild? Then again when aren't healers needed, eh?

edit: if they ever allow server transfers there's a good chance I'll bring one of two of my Imp characters to the Empire GAF guild.

Cystm

Jinx has SWTOR shirts...

gVajs.jpg

I will be picking up that Imperial emblem shirt. I might have to represent "OP" inquisitors too.

gatti-man

Jinx has SWTOR shirts...

I will be picking up that Imperial emblem shirt. I might have to represent "OP" inquisitors too.

Someone needs to combine that with a nice pvp saying on the back. Like

Play the ball bitches, baddies be bad, pass is in your abilities, dont stand on the goal line nub! Only 10k hp? And millions of others.

Sigfodr

I've been so swamped with schoolwork and trying to run through ME 1 and 2 before 3, I've ignored TOR and this thread.

Jinx has SWTOR shirts...

Well, I didn't need to eat for a couple days. I'm already pushing 125.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Going to be out of town for the next week so I won't have a chance to play :(

I was really hoping to reach 50 before then but oh well!

Maybe once I hit 50 I'll make an alt on the GAF server so I can play with some of you guys.

Arment

I stopped around lvl 30 on my Marauder, just wasn't feeling it.

I'm thinking of trying BH next. But the thought of going back to the beginning is torture.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I stopped around lvl 30 on my Marauder, just wasn't feeling it.

I'm thinking of trying BH next. But the thought of going back to the beginning is torture.

Annhilation is awesome if you were carnage or rage (both very boring levelling specs), also marauders get awesome at 40+.

Top Bottom