• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Retiring the marauder (for pve at least) to play my operative :D. Super bored with bleed spec.

jamews inspired me

Alur

ONLY 13 TIMES lol....6, that's how many time I can cast my heal with regen taken into consideration.

And remember after you cast yours 13 times, geuss what you are getting force back at your normal rate. IF I CAST MINE 6 times like that I will be regenning at 1 heat, AKA 20% of my normal regen.

Let me put it this way, if you run out of power. You can cast your most expensive single target heal in 6 secs. 46 talented cost, 8 force per second regen at 0 force. If I am out of power it would take TWENTY-FIVE seconds before I could cast my most expensive single target heal. 25 heat, 1 heat per second at 100 heat.

Do you even know how the BH AE heal works? IT hits 3 targets in the circle you place, which is about 1/2 the size of your healing circle. And it PICKS 3 TARGETS AT RANDOM. meaning it mostly heals the people who are already full. I have literally cast my AE heal and had it heal for 0 cause it choose to heal the 3 people out of 16 who were full health at the time instead of healing the people who were dieing.

And our heals are cast time to, we have 1 instant 22sec CD, one AE 6sec CD, and two cast time, 1.5sec 9sec CD, and OUR ONLY NON CD heal is 2.5sec cast.

Sorcs have no idea how much worse healing is for the other two classes.

By my napkin math and spamming Dark Infusion on myself, I can cast Dark Infusion 19 times before I am unable to cast again as long as I cast nothing else. This is a useless argument either way though. Yeah I can cast this heal 19 times. If I don't use resurgence, it's a 2.5 second cast time that is gonna heal (on my sorc mind you) anywhere from 3.2k to 5.4k in full columi/rakata gear (it is 2.31 cast time in this gear as well). Means someone is gonna die. Mobs hit too hard in PVE, players hit too fast in PVP to use the one trick pony argument.

Resurgence is ideally cast before every heal and it's 28 force. If cast before Dark Heal it drops Dark Heal from 46 to 23 force (which is basically a FUCK my Infusion got interrupted heal and nothing more). Dark Infusion is 51 force, shield is 35 force, and Innervate is 37 force. Obviously Resurgence can't have 100% uptime, so the added bonuses probably hit every other or every third heal. So if I Resurgence before Dark Infusion each time like a good sorc should, that's only 7 Dark Infusions I'll be casting before waiting on mana. You could even say 8, maybe 9 possibly counting force regened during the fight. You can't get up in arms about it's really 14 heals counting Resurgence cause it heals for shit and is used as a proc not a heal (unless they are damn near full health or we are running down Soa ramps and someone could use 1000 HP's). Gotta throw those Innervates in there to keep that force bar up with Consumption procs. But snap, those Innervates need a Resurgence before them too! (recurring theme here is my point)

As for other stuff...your AE heal is instant cast, Gyrs. Sure, it's targeting sucks, but it also hits instantly unless I'm mistaken...meaning it can't be moved out of. Ours has a 15 second cooldown to your 6. If they fixed the targetting, they'd be almost equivalent after 30 seconds assuming full uptime of both. I would assume they will be fixing that sooner or later.

Managing the heat is part of playing a merc unless I'm mistaken. Could it be better for the other healers? Yes! I agree 100%. But for you to just say that we can cast our heal "X" number of times and that makes us OP without taking into account anything else is hardly an argument. What about when I'm dropping a shield every 17 to 20 seconds on Camlost and myself, and maintaining Resurgence on Cam before I cast whatever I need to on whoever else I need to? Infusion is my big heal, but I only get mana back off of Innervate. That's an awful lot of stuff to be casting for us sorcs to simply be yelling UNLIMITED POWER!!!! and instant win. It takes management as well, just like yours. It is much more frontloaded, but shit also costs a bit more and needs to be synergized to get the most bang for your force buck. There are also no instant sorc heals outside of resurgence, which is not even used as a heal.

And then let's not even get started on your own PVP longevity with mana pools which I've experienced both on your team and against your team.

This longevity argument is apples and oranges. 600 to 100 sounds impressively one sided (I do not use the 4 set bonus, I prefer using the 2 set of each for reduced Static Barrier and reduced Innervate cooldowns - to each his own), but if you manage your heat below that threshold you are basically an everflowing fountain as well. I'm not saying it's even. I'm just saying it's not as far apart as you claim. If it is then you're twice the player I am which would be sad for me and the rest of our guild who plays with me every single day.

As for the thing that brought this whole argument up: to not include a variation of healers in a raid is definitely a thoughtless endeavor. Sorc shield is important to us for mitigation or saving. Only one sorc can shield a player. Other than circle happy fights (such as Soa for the ramps, 1st boss of EV, etc), it makes no sense to have more than half your heals being only one of any class, sorc or not. /opinion

TLDR: Sorcs are OP but I don't feel like the longevity argument is the thing that other healers need to be harping on. Sorcs have more to start with, but also a bigger cost up front unless you are spam healing one person consistently which makes things significantly easier to manage (as it does with any heal class).

Other healers need to be buffed. Hopefully this happens. In the meantime, however, not taking non-sorcs is still not smart. Better off with a little bit of variety. Only so many situations circles are useful in current content.

I recently levelled up Slicing to 400 just to see if it was worth it for making money. What a fucking gimped money-making crew skill. I'm just crazy OCD like that, so i decided to record every single mission I did in a google spreadsheet and keep track of exactly how many credits it returned and how much it cost to do each mission. After close to 100 missions, My Total Profit Per Hour (total value of any crit items, schematics, mission discoveries, etc that I've gotten + credit reward divided by total mission time) is 2,847.43. That's per hour that your companion is actually deployed on a mission. That is FUCKING GARBAGE. Even if you deploy every single one of your companions that's still only 15k credits / hour. For something whose sole purpose is to make money, that is really terrible. I would honestly expect at least 25k credits / hour, probably even 30k. I could bump it up from 15k to 16.5k by getting all my companions' affections to 10k/10k since that gives a 10% reduction in mission time, but that's nothing.

In other news, the crit rate seems to be almost exactly 10%. I have 10 crits on 95 missions.

Ironically, the Level 41-48 missions are, on average, more profitable than the level 49-50 missions (even ignoring crits, just the base lockbox reward - mission cost)

markatisu

I recently levelled up Slicing to 400 just to see if it was worth it for making money. What a fucking gimped money-making crew skill. I'm just crazy OCD like that, so i decided to record every single mission I did in a google spreadsheet and keep track of exactly how many credits it returned and how much it cost to do each mission. After close to 100 missions, My Total Profit Per Hour (total value of any crit items, schematics, mission discoveries, etc that I've gotten + credit reward divided by total mission time) is 2,847.43. That's per hour that your companion is actually deployed on a mission. That is FUCKING GARBAGE. Even if you deploy every single one of your companions that's still only 15k credits / hour. For something whose sole purpose is to make money, that is really terrible. I would honestly expect at least 25k credits / hour, probably even 30k. I could bump it up from 15k to 16.5k by getting all my companions' affections to 10k/10k since that gives a 10% reduction in mission time, but that's nothing.

In other news, the crit rate seems to be almost exactly 10%. I have 10 crits on 95 missions.

Ironically, the Level 41-48 missions are, on average, more profitable than the level 49-50 missions (even ignoring crits, just the base lockbox reward - mission cost)

Yup, I saw similar results after maxing out slicing and so I dumped it and went to armormech. figured if I was not going to make any money worthwhile I would do something interesting

Wallach

So I never wound up subscribing to this game, but I'm a bit bored and I'm thinking of picking up another month of game time to mess around with the PvP a bit more. Never did much of it in my first month.

I'm curious, did they really get around to addressing general issues with the responsiveness/stiffness of the controls? Some people claim they did and others say they couldn't tell any difference. Also, and this is kind of a specific question, but did they ever change Dirty Kick so it doesn't root you during the animation?

Yea at lvl 50 it doesn't really do anything anymore, but it still makes money if your running dailies. On average on one daily run slicing the various safes all over the place I am pulling in an extra 20k. Though once you stop doing dailies and not really leave the fleet, slicing becomes useless.

Slicing does make good money while leveling in large part due to all the free money laying around in the quest areas you slice, but at end game it's useless.... course everyone seems to feel that way about almost all the skills at end game. It's also not just a slicing nerf, but was a nerf on lockboxes in general. Treasure hunting and any missions involving lockboxes was nerfed to hell with you often losing money.

So I never wound up subscribing to this game, but I'm a bit bored and I'm thinking of picking up another month of game time to mess around with the PvP a bit more. Never did much of it in my first month.

I'm curious, did they really get around to addressing general issues with the responsiveness/stiffness of the controls? Some people claim they did and others say they couldn't tell any difference. Also, and this is kind of a specific question, but did they ever change Dirty Kick so it doesn't root you during the animation?

They did improve the responsiveness as well as introduce custom options into the global cool downs. Some things are still wonky but it's animation related and in 1.2 some new animations are being put in for certain abilities/classes which are not on par with the opposite factions, which is more responsive in comparison.

kms_md

I think I have made everything worth making with Cybertech on my Level 50 Marauder - a crit earpiece, all my purple level 22 might armors, blue might equivalent augments, the wyz-tec fire grenade, and a speeder.

How long does it take to level up biochem using biochem, diplomacy, and bioanalysis for a level 50 toon having the max number of characters out at a time?

I think I have made everything worth making with Cybertech on my Level 50 Marauder - a crit earpiece, all my purple level 22 might armors, blue might equivalent augments, the wyz-tec fire grenade, and a speeder.

How long does it take to level up biochem using biochem, diplomacy, and bioanalysis for a level 50 toon having the max number of characters out at a time?

Diplomacy will be your bottle neck. http://www.crewskillz.com/guides/crafting/biochem#content has a good guide for level crafting skills leveling biochem can be done using the GTN if you'd like and bioanalysis is easy to level up because you can go back to lower lvl planets and just kill a bunch of mobs. Diplomacy takes a while to ramp up because of the number of available missions but all in all you should be done in less than a week

kms_md

Diplomacy will be your bottle neck. http://www.crewskillz.com/guides/crafting/biochem#content has a good guide for level crafting skills leveling biochem can be done using the GTN if you'd like and bioanalysis is easy to level up because you can go back to lower lvl planets and just kill a bunch of mobs. Diplomacy takes a while to ramp up because of the number of available missions but all in all you should be done in less than a week

that is what i figured. GTN on my server is not the greatest option - one of the lower pop servers (the courageous). thanks for the link.

Tess3ract

Banned
Resurgence, the main combo skill of a sorc healer, allows you to stack 10% armor on a tank. Supercharged Gas, which is roughly the equivalent mercenary skill, allows you to prevent 10% of damage. Which would you rather have on the tank? Me, I'd rather prevent straight damage.
Nope. I'd rather have the 10% damage reduction, because increasing armor rating is fucking useless.

that is what i figured. GTN on my server is not the greatest option - one of the lower pop servers (the courageous). thanks for the link.

Np, one thing about that link, I think their #s are off as to how many of each item you need to make. I believe they doubled it so just go with 1/2 of what they recommend to get to the next item. If you find that it isnt sufficient then continue to make more. This is more of a guideline as to the fastest way to level up biochem, not necessarily the most cost effective or useful (good for lvl 50s, but not for lvling up)

bjb

Banned
If you pvp a lot, money is never an issue. I have close to 2 mil and its all from pvp.

I thought I was rich with 4 million, but there were a few guys in my guild with 9-15.

Makes me feel like chump change.

Also dead game is dead. Nobody is bothering to log in anymore for Nightmare stuff. Guess it's time for GW2 beta = /

Cystm

I thought I was rich with 4 million, but there were a few guys in my guild with 9-15.

Makes me feel like chump change.

Also dead server is dead. Nobody is bothering to log in anymore for Nightmare stuff. Guess it's time for GW2 beta = /

Fixed.

bjb

Banned

I'd say my server is fine. Population has certainly dropped, but it's not as barren as other's I'd imagine. It's only saving grace is its former high pop status during early access.

There's just quite literally nothing appealing at end-game anymore. At least nothing productive. Most of not all the top-tier guild's have quit or are waiting for 1.2

All anybody wants to do is kill Soa or Karraga on Nightmare. The problem is finding the motivation, and then dealing with the bugs. Two weeks ago was our last Soa kill, and he was still spawning balls like crazy even after the 2nd phase push. Quite a bit of rage.

Likewise after Valor 60, I'd rather stare at my dick all day then grind RNG bags (again) in hopes of getting BM loot.

Yea at lvl 50 it doesn't really do anything anymore, but it still makes money if your running dailies. On average on one daily run slicing the various safes all over the place I am pulling in an extra 20k. Though once you stop doing dailies and not really leave the fleet, slicing becomes useless.

Slicing does make good money while leveling in large part due to all the free money laying around in the quest areas you slice, but at end game it's useless.... course everyone seems to feel that way about almost all the skills at end game. It's also not just a slicing nerf, but was a nerf on lockboxes in general. Treasure hunting and any missions involving lockboxes was nerfed to hell with you often losing money.

It's true you often lose money, but the data I've recorded suggests that it's a net profit over time (even ignoring crits). But that's not really the issue, the issue is just that on average the profit is so little that it's not worth doing unless you can actually sit in front of your computer all day long and keep all 5 companions deployed 100% of the time. And even then, you'll only be making about 100k profit for every 6.5 hours of wall clock time that all 5 companions are deployed.

Dunlop

Man I thought I hated the endless staging screens before

ship-->airlock-->spacestation-->planet

Now that I dropped cyber and salage for biomed/chem it is starting to really piss me off

(cap skill for planet)

planet-->space station-->airlock-->space statioin-->Fleet (purchase skills)-->ship-->airlock-->spacestation-->planet

AAARRRG!!! what the f@ck was the point of these stages?

Enosh

edit: oh I get it now

althrough I don't get why you have to go to a planet to level up biochem, can't you just buy stuff from the AH you need? Or get it through bioanalasys

Dunlop

As for other stuff...your AE heal is instant cast, Gyrs. Sure, it's targeting sucks, but it also hits instantly unless I'm mistaken...meaning it can't be moved out of. Ours has a 15 second cooldown to your 6. If they fixed the targetting, they'd be almost equivalent after 30 seconds assuming full uptime of both. I would assume they will be fixing that sooner or later.

please never attempt to put these skills even remotely on the same level, as explained our AOE is useless for many reasons but the biggest is that it will randomly heal 3 people which often means it heals no one. That purple circle is the most powerful/useful heal in the game. Sorc are supposed to be the AOE healers and if that was the case nobody would care.

I'm not crying about sorcs, they were like this in beta and I could have easily rolled one. The problems with the class have been mentioned to nauseum in a ton of forums. They are simply the best at almost everything and have way more utility when compared to other classes.

Every Sorc I run with agrees with this, especially those with alts who can see the difference first hand. Also this has been cried about in Beta and Bioware chose to leave it like this, so the massive class discrepency is on them.

althrough I don't get why you have to go to a planet to level up biochem, can't you just buy stuff from the AH you need? Or get it through bioanalasys

It is like everyone on my sever had the same idea, in the AH there is only 3 pages of mats an the prices were through the roof. Originally I had planned to keep my Cybertech but dropped it because of this

Man I thought I hated the endless staging screens before

Now that I dropped cyber and salage for biomed/chem it is starting to really piss me off

(cap skill for planet)

planet-->space station-->airlock-->space statioin-->Fleet (purchase skills)-->ship-->airlock-->spacestation-->planet

AAARRRG!!! what the f@ck was the point of these stages?

Err... almost every planet has a trainer where you can learn new skills.

Cystm

I'd say my server is fine. Population has certainly dropped, but it's not as barren as other's I'd imagine. It's only saving grace is its former high pop status during early access.

There's just quite literally nothing appealing at end-game anymore. At least nothing productive. Most of not all the top-tier guild's have quit or are waiting for 1.2

All anybody wants to do is kill Soa or Karraga on Nightmare. The problem is finding the motivation, and then dealing with the bugs. Two weeks ago was our last Soa kill, and he was still spawning balls like crazy even after the 2nd phase push. Quite a bit of rage.

Likewise after Valor 60, I'd rather stare at my dick all day then grind RNG bags (again) in hopes of getting BM loot.

The BM loot is a terrible grind, true, but I think the valor grind (that is PvP) is great. That's what keeps me playing anyway. OPs/raiding has always been stale for me after the first clear.

I will hit rank 100, and so far 65/100 has been really fun.

Giolon

Err... almost every planet has a trainer where you can learn new skills.

For some reason, the early planets don't have profession trainers (Taris, Nar Shaddaa, Tatooine). They used to, but Bioware took them out.

Yet they left the profession trainers in on some of the later planets (Corellia, Voss, but not Belsavis). There's really no rhyme or reason to which ones remained and which ones were removed.

For some reason, the early planets don't have profession trainers (Taris, Nar Shaddaa, Tatooine). They used to, but Bioware took them out.

Yet they left the profession trainers in on some of the later planets (Corellia, Voss, but not Belsavis). There's really no rhyme or reason to which ones remained and which ones were removed.

Coruscant definitely has the trainers 100% sure. Weird, I was almost certain Tatooine has them. I'll go back and check later, just to satisfy my curiosity.

KePoW

Banned

Not true, Nar Shaddaa and Tatooine definitely have crew skill trainers.

markatisu

You might want to look again, I swear I just saw the Trainer yesterday when I was messing around on Nar Shaddaa and the I can't imagine they removed the entire bank of trainers on Taris

gyrspike

Neo Member
Actually the BH heal is instant cast but HAS A TRAVEL TIME. Yes you can literally try to cast it on a group of people who will be there when you target them but will have moved out by the time the bomb explodes thus healing no one. This happens constantly in pvp where people are always running. The best you can do is to throw the bomb ahead of your targets hoping they continue moving into it.

At least when people see the purple circle on the ground they can run in and get healed.

mcfrank

All of the people complaining about being done with end game have valid complaints. My group is almost done with everything on hard mode and are mostly geared up. However, this game was never fully focused on endgame in the way that WoW is. This game doesn't begin at 50 so to speak. If you are maxed out on your main, work on alts. There are 8 unique class stories, surely the people complaining of having "nothing to do" have not played through all of the class stories yet.

Milly79

All of the people complaining about being done with end game have valid complaints. My group is almost done with everything on hard mode and are mostly geared up. However, this game was never fully focused on endgame in the way that WoW is. This game doesn't begin at 50 so to speak. If you are maxed out on your main, work on alts. There are 8 unique class stories, surely the people complaining of having "nothing to do" have not played through all of the class stories yet.

Valid, but I sure as fuck loathe going back through planets I've already been through a few times over.

Cystm

Valid, but I sure as fuck loathe going back through planets I've already been through a few times over.

That's where they better make Legacy come into play. They said they are, but I want to see exactly what they are going to do in that regard.

I'm pretty sure I can youtube all those class stories in an hr or so. Which is pretty depressing.

It was fun the first time... until you realize none of your decisions really have any impact and always seems to end with you fighting an elite + assorted combo of mobs.

KePoW

Banned
I'm pretty sure I can youtube all those class stories in an hr or so. Which is pretty depressing.

It was fun the first time... until you realize none of your decisions really have any impact and always seems to end with you fighting an elite + assorted combo of mobs.

You can say the same thing about youtube'ing a summary of movies or books.

Doesn't make it the same thing as experiencing it yourself. I enjoy playing all the different class stories and hearing all the dialog options.

Jmac71

1.1.5 Test Center Patch notes are up

General

Players can now use the command /roll or /random to generate a random number between 1 and 100. This command will also accept a range (example: /roll 20-40) or a die value (example: 2d6).

Classes and Combat

Sith Warrior

The French version of the "Darth" title is now correct.

Flashpoints and Operations

Operations

General

Bosses in Operations now drop the correct amount of loot when the group is using the Master Looter loot distribution setting.

Eternity Vault

The "Duel of the Fates" and "Penalty of Destiny" effects are now properly removed when the Infernal Council encounter resets.

Items

General

-New high-level black-yellow color crystals can now be purchased from the Pre-Order Vendors on the Imperial and Republic Fleets.

-Several high end speeder models have been temporarily reduced in price until Game Update 1.2.

-A vendor that sells a variety of previously unavailable endgame crystals has been added temporarily to the Imperial and Republic Fleets until Game Update 1.2.

-The Portable Holo Dancer once again displays the correct visual effect. Dark/Light requirements present on some color crystals have been removed.

Missions and NPCs

Missions

Republic

Chaos and Harmony: Corrected an issue that caused Children of the Emperor to disappear and reappear during the final boss fight, making the encounter more difficult that intended.

PvP

World PvP

Ilum

To improve Ilum performance, the two large defense turrets outside each base on the Western Shelf no longer fire lasers into the air.

UI

General

The Shader Complexity preference now supports a "Very Low" option.

You can say the same thing about youtube'ing a summary of movies or books.

Doesn't make it the same thing as experiencing it yourself. I enjoy playing all the different class stories and hearing all the dialog options.

More like the whole thing ;P

I'm fine if it's something manageable like 20 hrs for a Mass Effect playthrough... but a few hundred hours for a few min of unique story stuff... which for the most part aren't really that great?

My backlog of games weeps

Giolon

You might want to look again, I swear I just saw the Trainer yesterday when I was messing around on Nar Shaddaa and the I can't imagine they removed the entire bank of trainers on Taris

You're right - I haven't been to some of the planets in a while. NS & Tatooine definitely do have profession trainers. Taris, Balmorra, and Belsavis for the Republic however do not.

I wondered where you'd disappeared off to! My guild could still use a Scoundrel healer. We're 9/10 HM now (working on 3rd stage Soa, probably get him next week).

Some of the reponsiveness issues have been addressed, but I understand animation changes are coming. With respect to Dirty Kick, you can jump kick people to avoid getting rooted (not ideal, I know, but it works).

If you do come back, hit me up!

ZetaEpyon

Players can now use the command /roll or /random to generate a random number between 1 and 100. This command will also accept a range (example: /roll 20-40) or a die value (example: 2d6).

I find this unusually amusing for some reason. Now we can play D&D in SWTOR! :p

Giolon

Whats up with the cystals and preorder vendors. I didnt even know there was a preorder vendor.

The pre-order vendor has been there on the fleet 90% of the time since before launch (there were a couple weeks in the early days where he'd disappear or Bioware would pull him down b/c of a bug). It just let you buy the +4 Endurance Black-Yellow crystals that you got from pre-ordering so that you could have a matching pair for Sentinels or whatever. Now you'll be able to buy high level versions so you can conitnue to rock the Black-Yellow if that's your thing. I think it's hideous personally.

Now the other crystal vendor - Bioware's finally recognizing that there's a MASSIVE hole in the game right now. There's no way to obtain some types of color crystals (+Power namely) other than by ripping them out of weapons. They're also catering to the masses that screamed about not being able to get a Purple Lightsaber without being a) Imperial, b) a Raider, or c) a PvPer. So Level 47 and 50 White, Cyan, Purple, and Yellow lightsaber crystals are being sold for 125k - 2mil credits on this vendor (as well as the Magenta patterns that only drop from World Bosses currently) that's supposed to only exist until 1.2 hits. At that time, Bioware seems like they're going to make these types all craftable by Artifice. Way to go knee-capping your Artifice crafting market, eh?

gatti-man

The pre-order vendor has been there on the fleet 90% of the time since before launch (there were a couple weeks in the early days where he'd disappear or Bioware would pull him down b/c of a bug). It just let you buy the +4 Endurance Black-Yellow crystals that you got from pre-ordering so that you could have a matching pair for Sentinels or whatever. Now you'll be able to buy high level versions so you can conitnue to rock the Black-Yellow if that's your thing. I think it's hideous personally.

Now the other crystal vendor - Bioware's finally recognizing that there's a MASSIVE hole in the game right now. There's no way to obtain some types of color crystals (+Power namely) other than by ripping them out of weapons. They're also catering to the masses that screamed about not being able to get a Purple Lightsaber without being a) Imperial, b) a Raider, or c) a PvPer. So Level 47 and 50 White, Cyan, Purple, and Yellow lightsaber crystals are being sold for 125k - 2mil credits on this vendor (as well as the Magenta patterns that only drop from World Bosses currently) that's supposed to only exist until 1.2 hits. At that time, Bioware seems like they're going to make these types all craftable by Artifice. Way to go knee-capping your Artifice crafting market, eh?

Well thats lame. Things should stay exclusive. If you dont raid or pvp wtf are you doing at endgame besides rerolling?

Top Bottom