• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Jomjom

Banned
Is there a GAF Republic guild on the Swiftsure? Just got in the game about 20 days ago.

Also, what's today's patch supposed to change?

HBroward

My favorite change is that the ability bars don't become randomly unlocked now. I had so many times where I had crucial abilities getting dragged off in pvp because of that glitch. Also, the chat font not resizing is pretty nice too.

Effect

Game obviously launched unfinished, especially noticeable at end game early on when the 2nd operation was missing parts, npcs had no names, etc. The PVP planet Illum didn't even get "finished" till late in the beta and even then it wasn't done and got almost no testing, they even admitted it wasn't really done yet and that more work had to be done on it.

The game has lot of neat things going for it, but it's obvious that alot of the MMO features got left out and that it wasn't really finished (no MMO is to an extent....). Lot of features are basically in the works now while they still have lot of bug crushing to do. They obviously concentrated on the storyline (single player) aspects while other stuff kind of got ignored. If anything I would recommend ppl wait till at leat the big March udpate to check out the game now since a bunch of stuff is coming in that.

True no mmo is ever finish but a shame it launched in that state. Though good they are at least tackling the problem and from the patch list they aren't wasting any time.

This and ff14 have zero in common. This is a finely cooked meal to ff14s dirty sock. I was in both betas and both retail launches. Ff14 was a hindenburgh, swtor just needs fine tuning and a few features.

Clearly they aren't the same. What I mean is FFXIV launched with so many problems that all other mmo teams had to take notice. Especially the lack of some very key and standard systems. I would think even if they were getting close to release they would want to make sure they didn't have any gaping holes in their design like that. Chat and grouping systems are key for a MMO and have been for years.

Giolon

which social vendor do you go to to customize SCORPIOs appearance?

You don't - you need to go to a Companion Customization Vendor. Here's a list I found on the official forums: http://www.swtor.com/de/community/showthread.php?t=226795

It doesn't look like SCORPIO has any, but the Security Key Vendors (both on the Fleet and the Ilum Orbital Station, with IOS having a larger selection), and the Collector's Edition Vendor (in the VIP Lounge on the Fleet) also sell some customization kits.

Francois424

Neo Member
How significant is the population issue on the servers? Is it just that people are leaving the game in general? Or sides are so unbalanced that if you are on the wrong side the server is pretty much dead? Or a combination of both?

I don't think the game is bleeding players that much.
I think that population is just moving around, trying to settle on a good server.

Some server have crappy economies and lots of stupid undercutting all the time (Mind Trick) or people jacking up the price of orange gear to +/- 500k (Kaas City). Some others just die off (Nathema is between 10-20ppl on fleet, at it's prime time). Also, the word is going around that you want a High-Population server, so ppl like myself are migrating everynow and then trying to settle down.

Then there's the faction imbalance to top it all. heh.

yeah, not everyone likes lfg tools, so I'd say that was more of a decision to not put it in than "omg we have no time"
So why are they already talking about adding it?

Trotting out the "community" excuse for a while, which they did, is 99.9% less work than implementing a LFG system. I don't mean in a lazy devs way, I mean in a "we're wrestling with this game for launch" way.

Enosh

Except Bioware is already talking about adding LFG tools.
So that completely debunks your theory.
last I heard they were just talking about expanding the current system and not doing one that groups you up by itself with other people
might have changed, idk not following what the devs say all that much
WTH? Who doesn't like lfg tools, and why?
some bullshit about community

last I heard they were just talking about expanding the current system and not doing one that groups you up by itself with other people

I can think of another thing that negatively impacts community -- not having any subscribers.

TheYanger

Except there's a big difference between dungeon finder/lfg like wow has now, and a simple lfg tool that makes you actually able to find people, and does nothing else.

yeah, not everyone likes lfg tools, so I'd say that was more of a decision to not put it in than "omg we have no time"

They were talking about LFG tools before the game launched, they said it would be post launch additions. People were asking for a long time in beta and they seem to have gotten the hint, but it seems to be on the long list of stuff that didn't get in for launch and is in the works. Though I don't even think it will be in 1.2 as they have stated most things being added to that.

In the meantime they should just open a friggen global lfg channel at least.

Francois424

Neo Member
The concern for "the community" thing is the "Cross-Server" LFG
As in ppl from server X ends up doing flashpoints on server Y.
They "need" every items, and use non work-friendly comments to ppl complaining

Then they are gone after the FP, having wasted everybody's time.
Then you run another FP, and the same thing happens... fun times.
At least on the same server, pressure from the peers keeps ppl in-line lest they play alone and we dont want to party with them anymore.
- - - -

That's what was summed-up on BioWare forums time and time again.
Personally I don't really care and never had issues with PUGs in WoW.

They said already that cross server pvp is eventually coming, can assume they will try to do cross server LFG tools as well. I'm fine with cross server pvp, I never found community in instanced pvp so whatever, but yea I'm not a fan of cross server dungeon tools. Keep it on the same server for now or at least make sure to give us the option of choosing to do either cross server or same server when you queue up

At the very least, give us a a single server LFG system.

I see the view point against the cross server LFG (Although I do not agree with it), but there is no argument against a streamlined LFG queue up system that is exclusive to the server.

Have it similar to WoW's or Rifts (queue your role for a specific dungeon or HMs in general) but have it be just a single server instead of everyone. This way we do not have to sit in the fleet and yell for people in general chat. This prevents us from questing and doing things much more useful with our time.

How can anyone be against that?

So amazing how much more fun I have PvP'ing 10-49 than at 50.

Yeah, I am dread getting to 50 with my Operative. She's at 49.5. Some guy already send me tell for me to just reroll now because it's a waste of time to play Operative PVP at 50. *sigh* He said he had one and reroll to Sorceror.

In the meantime, what I find fun is hutball game with no Sith Sorceror in it. What a difference that was, the game was exciting back and forth. Also nice not to just see stream of purple everywhere.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Yeah, I am dread getting to 50 with my Operative. She's at 49.5. Some guy already send me tell for me to just reroll now because it's a waste of time to play Operative PVP at 50. *sigh* He said he had one and reroll to Sorceror.

In the meantime, what I find fun is hutball game with no Sith Sorceror in it. What a difference that was, the game was exciting back and forth. Also nice not to just see stream of purple everywhere.

Operatives are still very good, you just have to work a little bit to excel with classes like the marauder and the operative. You gotta manage cooldowns efficiently and pay attention to positioning as a melee; as a sorc you have a little bit of room for error since you have over 9000 escape mechanisms. But concealment ops with decent gear can still instagib people and healer ops are pretty damn good.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

As an op who hit 50 a week ago, you were told the truth. Life isn't as fun as it was pre 50. Ops are just cc'd to death in huttball, which is the only wz.

VaeVictis

I love the new options to customize cooldowns which kept changing since the release of the game. Been using Style 3 with Show Cooldown Text turned on and it really makes a difference during combat. One little thing they also changed was that now shops highlight only the items for which you are eligible to use. Nice little change that makes browsing through items a breeze.

Heysoos

Fuck these Error 9000 disconnects so much. It ALWAYS fucking happens right when I'm about to win a Warzone that I might need for Daily/Weekly.

gatti-man

Operatives are still very good, you just have to work a little bit to excel with classes like the marauder and the operative. You gotta manage cooldowns efficiently and pay attention to positioning as a melee; as a sorc you have a little room for error since you have over 9000 escape mechanisms. But concealment ops with decent gear can still instagib people and healer ops are pretty damn good.

+1 to this. Everyone rolling sorc just to be flavor of the month is weak. Avg sorc play isnt very good. Ive run into a few good sorc players in pvp but most dont pose any problem. Ops can win a huttball game for a team by taking out key players. Just figure out how to make yourself useful. You just cant faceroll like sorcs do.

Alur

+1 to this. Everyone rolling sorc just to be flavor of the month is weak. Avg sorc play isnt very good. Ive run into a few good sorc players in pvp but most dont pose any problem. Ops can win a huttball game for a team by taking out key players. Just figure out how to make yourself useful. You just cant faceroll like sorcs do.

Gatti-man you just hurt my poor sorceror feelings. It's not my fault you and Rexos have to carry me to victory in huttball.

That is what I do as a concealment operative, but I find I could only kill wounded and lower Soc. it's not the fact that they are impossible to kill but combination of 3-4 soc mixed with merc usually doom for opposing team (unless you roll with equal number of soc). It's just not fun and boring.

I will probably go back to healing spec or just quit plaing since my guild s pretty much dead. Over 40 members and we re lucky if we now get more than 4 people on everyone just move on. This was my 3rd server change and I dont know if I can go through leveling another on Gaf server.

Annnnd I canceled my sub.

Taking me 10min to log on to realize there was a memory leak or something (game froze for a good 10-20secs when I try to turn the camera), then another 10 min to close the game.

Might come back in march.... but yeah.

Enosh

They said already that cross server pvp is eventually coming, can assume they will try to do cross server LFG tools as well. I'm fine with cross server pvp, I never found community in instanced pvp so whatever, but yea I'm not a fan of cross server dungeon tools. Keep it on the same server for now or at least make sure to give us the option of choosing to do either cross server or same server when you queue up
yeah but that fucks up people from low populated servers
an idea might be to pair servers up, a low pop one with a high pop one

jersoc

as republic player who hasn't seen 100 people on the fleet for 2 months. i would love nothing more than a x-server lfg. i haven't ran shit because the only time i can play when my guild is on are on the weekends and we do raids. when i usually play at this time there's like 20 people on. can't even fucking pvp.

not even half way through social rank 1.

yeah but that fucks up people from low populated servers
an idea might be to pair servers up, a low pop one with a high pop one

Well sever merges will help too and just help fluff up some of the servers. Imperials are going to have higher numbers whatever they do but at least republics would have more players. My current server on prime time is 200 imps vs 70 pubs..... it really is hard to play my alt when the auction market has less variety because of the population and less players running things. At least with some smart merges lot of servers will be able to see their pub fleets up in the 200's possibly.

World pvp imbalance is an issue but people rarely do it anyways, and places like Illum and such have caps on the instance already... heck just put faction caps in open pvp area to try and prevent zergs

Enosh

I agree
but in the MMO business server merges are seen as "game is failing" from what I understand, so I think cross server lfg will come sooner and server merges as a last resort

I agree
but in the MMO business server merges are seen as "game is failing" from what I understand, so I think cross server lfg will come sooner and server merges as a last resort

Yea, EA is not going to want to have merges going on anytime soon, it looks bad even though really it is often needed. MMOs tend to always open too many servers to meet launch demand and as players calm down in the amount of play, the servers aren't really needed anymore, so a merge should be done. But it is always seen as doom and gloom but really it's just how it should be done. You have 1mil + joining a game day 1, people are going to taper off the game and your not going to be picking up players that fast anymore. Even if a game has player growth, it's going to eventually need some mergers after a big launch. People have been asking for merges in RIFT for a while too before anything was done as the servers were largely all light pop even at prime time.

It should eventually happen but again, they are going to resist doing it. Lot of players want merges too, but it's the outside appearance to those not playing that the publishers are scared of.

Yea, EA is not going to want to have merges going on anytime soon, it looks bad even though really it is often needed. MMOs tend to always open too many servers to meet launch demand and as players calm down in the amount of play, the servers aren't really needed anymore, so a merge should be done. But it is always seen as doom and gloom but really it's just how it should be done. You have 1mil + joining a game day 1, people are going to taper off the game and your not going to be picking up players that fast anymore. Even if a game has player growth, it's going to eventually need some mergers after a big launch. People have been asking for merges in RIFT for a while too before anything was done as the servers were largely all light pop even at prime time.

It should eventually happen but again, they are going to resist doing it. Lot of players want merges too, but it's the outside appearance to those not playing that the publishers are scared of.

Thats why instead of "merges" you do voluntary free transfers. Youll be left with some dead servers, which you can then close

CAW

One thing I've always wondered. I'm on Taris with a couple of my level 35 imperial characters. I'm on a PvP server, however I leveled a jedi sentinel to 17 and was on Taris at level 17. It's pretty much a mirrored zone.

Anyway, I'm guessing I'm not going to see any republic players here right, or are they sent back to the planet at higher levels? How does that work?

arimanius

My OP was my very first level 50. Rerolled an Assassin to 50 and now working on a Juggernaut. Level 50 PvP for an OP(concealment) sucks.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
One thing I've always wondered. I'm on Taris with a couple of my level 35 imperial characters. I'm on a PvP server, however I leveled a jedi sentinel to 17 and was on Taris at level 17. It's pretty much a mirrored zone.

Anyway, I'm guessing I'm not going to see any republic players here right, or are they sent back to the planet at higher levels? How does that work?

That's another knock I have on this game... there was just no point in joining a pvp server because it was so rare for me to actually see anyone while leveling.

My OP was my very first level 50. Rerolled an Assassin to 50 and now working on a Juggernaut. Level 50 PvP for an OP(concealment) sucks.

I did the reverse... my first was my shadow, and my op was my second to 50. Instead of continuing with these characters, I just cancelled my account.

Thats why instead of "merges" you do voluntary free transfers. Youll be left with some dead servers, which you can then close

That just pleases select handful of people, but really does nothing to help server populations. It often just ruins various servers when entire guilds up and transfer to another server. Yea you may get to move to a better pop server, but it doesn't help the rest of the game community which has a bigger impact on long term subs. Lot of people don't take advantage of the transfers. Server mergers are the best thing to do, there is very little downside to it yet it's resisted just because it looks bad. So instead of doing what needs to be done, MMOs just languish and suffer till they have no choice, instead of trying to fix the problems early.

Yea Taris and Balmorra I believe are two of the planets that aren't occupied by both factions beyond the starting zones.

Fixed1979

Sorc/Consulars are considered the best still. They are supposed to be buffing the other healers abilities in 1.2 along with a nerf for the Sorc/Cons it seems.

Is it a significant difference? Will I be looked down upon if I continue with my low level commando? I suppose I can just ride it out until the patch either way...

Is it a significant difference? Will I be looked down upon if I continue with my low level commando? I suppose I can just ride it out until the patch either way...

I don't think many players care outside of hardcore assholes. Guildie who is a merc healer and is fully geared yesterday was told by some randoms they didn't want him even though they were crying for a healer on fleet for a long time, they just wanted a Sorc. I've not really seen that though before and have ran HM FPs and such just fine with other types of healers.

arimanius

I did the reverse... my first was my shadow, and my op was my second to 50. Instead of continuing with these characters, I just cancelled my account.

I'm still really enjoying the game, my issue is I haven't found a class that I love enough to grind out level 50 gear with.

Dunlop

There is no combat log or addons to monitor so play whatever you want safetly.

But the answer is yes, a sorc or consular VASTLY outheals the other healing classes while also having by far the most utility. If I was a raid leader in a hardcore raiding guild I would probably only bring sorcs, it's that bad.

It will eventually all balance out.

I was laughing last night, I was so excited with a proper cooldown graphic on my action bar..I came to the realization that my expectations are so low with the POS hero engine that addding features found in every MMO for the last decades excite me.

My most exited addition for 1.2?

/roll

Loot distribution in a HM operation without a DKP system is ugly

Top Bottom