• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Jomjom

Banned
I haven't reached 50 yet, but I'm 23 with my Jedi Sentinel and I just paid for a 3-month sub. I already know I won't be reupping after that. I just figured that 3 months would be enough for me to finish my current storyline, a sith one, and maybe the Jedi Consular one. That would be enough for me to basically treat it as a really really expensive KOTOR 3.

There just isn't all that much to do in the game.

Teknoman

Believe it or not...FFXIV has drawn away most of my MMO time in light of me being able to participate in the current max level stuff there/next patch hitting March 9th.

Draxal

I am still subscribed and will be for a while, I am enjoying alting at my own pace, and well the cost isn't prohibitively high.

Right now, end game reminds of Wow around Naxx time during WoTLK(dungeon/raid difficulty seems around the same, and the lack of convenience features that late WoTLK/Cata Wow has). The problem is that this flashpoints/ops is incredibly stale (Wow is facing this same problem).

Old Republic needs to find its own endgame niche, and I really don't think just adding new ops, flashpoints count.

Enosh

50 for 3 weeks
really enjoying it
looking forward to starting on nightmare
also trying to get battlemaster but that might take a while ^^
I haven't reached 50 yet
There just isn't all that much to do in the game.
well if you say so

Did some dailies, a person doesn't really have to do them much as a few runs gives you all you need to full kit out your character for HM/Ops beginner runs. Been just plugging away a few hours here and there doing HMs, op runs, and pvp. Rest of my time going into getting my Pub alt to 50 to experience both sides. Though end game really is often usually where I lose interest in a MMO, the gear grind is usually what gets to me. I like to experience everything the game offers, but once it becomes repetition, I lose interest. Right now doing that only a bit at a time to keep from burning out, and still haven't gotten to do a KP run so I still want to see that part of the game.

Think alot of people are just sick of this type of MMO formula, you see similar complaints when people hit max level in pretty much every MMO nowadays. Also seems from alot of replies, and many of us were saying before launch, that the hybrid nature of the game was going to have conflicting emotions. Lot of players who just played through the story but really had no interest in an actual MMO.

I am still subscribed and will be for a while, I am enjoying alting at my own pace, and well the cost isn't prohibitively high.

Right now, end game reminds of Wow around Naxx time during WoTLK(dungeon/raid difficulty seems around the same, and the lack of convenience features that late WoTLK/Cata Wow has). The problem is that this flashpoints/ops is incredibly stale (Wow is facing this same problem).

Old Republic needs to find its own endgame niche, and I really don't think just adding new ops, flashpoints count.

Theme park MMOs always just boil down to the same thing. The only MMO I truly feel nowadays does anything really different is EVE online still as it's basically all community and player run basically. The community keeps it a dynamic gaming environment. Looking at stuff like GW2 coming out, and really it's not going to do anything spectacularly different outside of not locking people into a game grind that they pay for, its not innovating anything in end game regards, I still think EVE is leading with it's more old school approach to MMOs. PVP is usualy the most "dynamic" part of a MMO, but that becomes a grind for many people too.

Dunlop

Getting gear in this game is very easy. Running a couple of daily HM's should make you ready to run EV.

In a Bizarre twist, HM Eternity Vault is about the same difficulty as normal until you hit the last boss. But each boss will drop Rakata and Columni gear (i.e everything is useful). I wouldn't run if everyone is undergeared but we have had a good 3/8 people undergeared and never ran into an enrage timer

Not sure about Karagga, going to try a HM this friday

CzarTim

I am 50 and still enjoying it. I don't play as much as I use to, but I think 1.2 will bring me back in for the most part -- some of the PVP changes in 1.1.5 and 1.2 are a great step in the right direction.

Dunlop

wasn't /roll supposed to be added this week?

Loot distribution in HM Ops is a clusterf#ck for a guild without dkp, we had one dude get both sorc rakata pants that dropped on a boss

wasn't /roll supposed to be added this week?

Loot distribution in HM Ops is a clusterf#ck for a guild without dkp, we had one dude get both sorc rakata pants that dropped on a boss

It's in next weeks patch, there was no patch this week as they were doing the Oceanic launch.

Enosh

can't you let items be put up for "need or greed" one by one?
I know we once forgot to put on master looter and the raid leader just put up each item one by one, we agreed on who needs before that

HBroward

can't you let items be put up for "need or greed" one by one?
I know we once forgot to put on master looter and the raid leader just put up each item one by one, we agreed on who needs before that

That's how we do it in Empire GAF HM's. Master looter on 16man ops has been bugged for a long time, I think the next patch fixes it. Or maybe it was the last patch? I'm not exactly eager to try master looter again to verify.

Dunlop

Wait the Master Looter can put the items up as Need or Greed?

o_O

It was never tried as we were all just waiting on the /roll function

If true it makes a lot of sense why I don't see a ton of posts of people freaking about about this

HBroward

No, master looter lets the leader assign the drops. Doing round-robin with auto-loot turned off lets one person click each piece of loot to need/greed each individually. Master looter is/was bugged in 16man HM/NiM in that you received much less loot than you were supposed to. Little to no rakata, no crafting mats, etc.

Please do, it's been a big headache trying to figure out/test mod swaps and gear on my sniper.

It's almost ready to go. I have it all working for Sniper too now, you just change a cell and it changes all the ability names and talent names and everything, but I had to change enough stuff to make it work that now I need to go back and retest all the calculations to make sure everything is still correct. So maybe tonight or something

Heysoos

Why has this not been fixed? Every single freaking Imp team I've played against is over queued abusing. Jesus Christ. Another reason I'm playing less and less.

Zafir

Master looter isn't just bugged for 16man, it's also bugged for 8man HM/NiM too. Had it happen on the pylons once where no rakata dropped, not used master looter since then.

gatti-man

Why has this not been fixed? Every single freaking Imp team I've played against is over queued abusing. Jesus Christ. Another reason I'm playing less URL]

Dude its all imp can do to get 8 people together at the start of a match. Today i played 9 matches, just 2 had 8 at the start and most had 6-7 throughout. We suck bad enough as it is without that handicap too.

google docs?

Derp derp, I forgot I had Dropbox.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28452354/DPS.xlsx

You'll need Excel 2007 or newer. Only applies for Gunslinger and Sniper. It's geared towards PvE / raid damage, and assumes you're level 50 and that you've trained all abilities to their max rank at your class trainer. If there's any talents that you have that I did not include (probably because I'm a pure 31/7/3 Sharpshooter build so I'm not familiar with the other trees), maybe I can try to add it.

If you're interested in getting more serious about your DPS spreadsheet, you can take a look here near the bottom of the OP (Section IV.3). Keep in mind the DPS spreadsheet you'll find there is FAR more complicated, and takes into account things like your ability rotation, alacrity, effect procs, and more. Mine however is only intended to test gear and stat comparisons, but for that it should be fairly accurate. Some might argue that the only "correct" way to test is by taking into account your ability rotations, GCDs, procs, etc, but for the sake of relative comparison I think this spreadsheet is more than adequate.

Feel free to post questions. If you're interested in making a similar spreadsheet for another class, all math and formulas were obtained here

markatisu

Bioware just updated their site with a post about economic changes

Hi everyone,

Massively Multiplayer Online games are built around living, breathing worlds that are always evolving, and Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ is no different. In our upcoming Game Update 1.2, we’ll be introducing a wide assortment of new features and content, while also introducing a number of improvements and changes to the in-game economy.

As we work to create a more player-driven economy, you can expect significant improvements to Crew skills, and an extension of Crew skill gameplay, such as item creation and research, into the Elder-Game content. You’ll also see new items brought into the game, including new schematics, Legacy items, a new tier of Player vs Player and Player vs Environment weapons and armor, Legacy items, new schematics, and the ability to extract base-mods from purple items, as well as many other changes and improvements.

Weekly patch 1.1.5 (which is now on the Public Test Server) implements a number of changes in preparation of the upcoming Game Update, including the much requested removal of Light Side / Dark Side requirements on color crystals.

As it is expected when large scale changes are made to an economic system, enterprising players often find interesting opportunities to benefit from their knowledge about the changes beforehand (for example by studying test server patch notes).

With patch 1.1.5, we’ve decided to embrace these economic entrepreneurs and even go a step further:

By publishing a series of rumors and stories that are coming in across both the Imperial and Republic news wires, we are providing all of you with advance knowledge about some of the things to come in the near future…

Korrealis Corporation, a family-owned personal transportation company based out of Balmorra, has announced that, in response to a sharp increase in customer complaints, all production of the ‘Sovereign’, ‘Prince’, 'Baron' and 'Commander' speeder lines has been halted indefinitely. This announcement comes on the heels of the rumor that Tirsa Industrial Consortium has quietly ceased production of their less than successful 'Prime' model, which faced similar blowback.

Vehicle Vendors across the galaxy have been advised to clear out any remaining stock of these models, and many Vendors have begun offering steep discounts to entice potential customers. Collectors and investors may want to take note that the previous limitations governing the resale of some vehicles seem to have been lifted and are encouraged to use the opportunity to purchase these legacy vehicles while they are still available.

After several months of deliberation, the Republic Senate's Committee on Transportation and Public Safety has passed new regulations that, among other things, adjust the cost of speeder licenses. Once these regulations are signed by the Supreme Chancellor in the coming weeks, prices for Tier I and Tier II speeder licenses across the galaxy are expected to see a significant decline. To help offset the loss of revenue generated by these licenses, taxes on all models of Tier III speeders will be significantly increased once the new regulation takes effect.

Critics claim that the resolution will only add to the serious strain on the Republic’s finances, while others see this as a vain attempt to keep on pace with the Imperial Transportation Authority, which recently passed a similar law.

It’s been reported that Operatives of the Republic Strategic Intelligence Service have recovered several new variations of color crystal prototypes during a daring raid on a cutting edge Imperial Science Bureau outpost on Ilum. Among the items recovered are a number of rare, purple-hued color crystals, usually exclusive to Imperial-held worlds.

Republic scientists are confident that they will be able to reverse-engineer and potentially replicate the captured Imperial technology, including the color crystals, in a matter of weeks. While most of the prototypes are still being analyzed, it has been confirmed that the Imperial Science Bureau's "Project Expertise" at the Ilum outpost scored a major breakthrough in the crystal cutting process. While information on the new technology has been kept tightly guarded, we know that the process can create several variants of existing crystal colors which improve the crystal’s natural properties.

The seizure of this technology by the Strategic Intelligence Service has led to a race between the Sith Empire and Galactic Republic to mass produce the crystals. Advance shipments of these crystals have already been dispatched to their respective fleets for field testing, and both sides say that once they have cleared any safety concerns, and have finalized a safe and efficient means of mass distribution, the crystals will become available.

In related news, a very limited number of pure white color crystals have been recovered by a Hutt-sponsored expedition into uncharted space. As of today, small stocks of these extremely rare and expensive crystals have started to appear in Vendor stocks at the primary Imperial and Republic transportation hubs. With no new shipments expected for several months, those wealthy enough to afford these crystals may find themselves in possession of a highly sought-after collectable.

Milly79

holy shit. time to start grinding dailies. also, guess I'm sticking around longer thanks to a new tier of gear. sounds cool.

Enosh

Why has this not been fixed? Every single freaking Imp team I've played against is over queued abusing. Jesus Christ. Another reason I'm playing less and less.
it's happening, although I didn't see it in weeks, but that picture most probably doesn't show that
looks more like the last two left

edit:
I just want the blue-black crystal on my marauder :(

So its a choice between buying 5 speeders that won't be available eventually or white crystals?

I think I have just over 5.5 million saved up but don't think its enough for everything :(

TheYanger

god dammit. I don't want to have to reactivate to buy all these speeders :mad:

The more I think about it the stupider that seems. Yeah, it's a good way to get everyone to dump their gold now, but holy shit what an awful implication for the future economy. Anyone that isn't already playing and investing credits into these things is fucked further down the line if they want this stuff. I mean let's face it, you may need to sit on these speeders for a while, but they're basically guaranteed profit with this change. Profit from people who miss out on the opportunity, and need to get these later down the line. If I start playing in a year, the odds of me being able to economically compete with those who abuse this is basically 0. If they do it AGAIN in the future it doesn't solve the problem either, it just widens the gap even farther and pushes even newer subscribers out yet again. I mean let's face it, money making in MMOs tends to be exponential just like in real life: once you have a lot, it's easier to make more profit from what you have.

Idk it just bugs me a bit, it's such an artificial "Here have free credits vouchers" step for anyone currently playing, and more of it for those rolling in dough. Yeah, temporarily will sink them out of the system, but in the long term it's basically just making the rich richer in such a blatant way.

god dammit. I don't want to have to reactivate to buy all these speeders :mad:

The more I think about it the stupider that seems. Yeah, it's a good way to get everyone to dump their gold now, but holy shit what an awful implication for the future economy. Anyone that isn't already playing and investing credits into these things is fucked further down the line if they want this stuff. I mean let's face it, you may need to sit on these speeders for a while, but they're basically guaranteed profit with this change. Profit from people who miss out on the opportunity, and need to get these later down the line. If I start playing in a year, the odds of me being able to economically compete with those who abuse this is basically 0.

Do we even know which vehicles it applies to and which will be most in demand? Is it basically just everything on all the planets?

gatti-man

I would love white crystals in my guns where do we get them and how much? Who cares about tiny speeders. If these were the large ones I'd be buying them up but the small ones all look the same to me.

Who really cares about some meaningless speeders which are nothing but visual flair. I hope they take the opportunity to introduce newer faster speeders and make these eventually just high priced collectibles.

I would love white crystals in my guns where do we get them and how much? Who cares about tiny speeders. If these were the large ones I'd be buying them up but the small ones all look the same to me.

The crystals are on sale at a vendor on the Repub and Empire fleet when they do an update and add them.

The speeders they are going to be removing are some of the big ones not the smaller ones, they cost 1.5 mil each at the moment but think they will be 1 mil after they are reduced in price before they are removed, they are all just reskins of each other in the end but collectors and hardcore people im sure will want to buy them all before they are removed and sell some on for a profit a few months down the line when they are rare.

Draxal

The crystals are on sale at a vendor on the Repub and Empire fleet when they do an update and add them.

The speeders they are going to be removing are some of the big ones not the smaller ones, they cost 1.5 mil each at the moment but think they will be 1 mil after they are reduced in price before they are removed, they are all just reskins of each other in the end but collectors and hardcore people im sure will want to buy them all before they are removed and sell some on for a profit a few months down the line when they are rare.

Korrealis Commander, Tirsa Prime - 1m
Korrealis Baron - 2m

The baron is the social 10 mount with the restriction removed and price increased.

Cystm

Who really cares about some meaningless speeders which are nothing but visual flair. I hope they take the opportunity to introduce newer faster speeders and make these eventually just high priced collectibles.

Vanity items that everyone else is no longer able to obtain are highly desirable for a lot of players - said players are typically the type that are running the player economy.
To each his own, I guess.

Personally, I just want to know more about this valor rank 75 gear change I have been hearing about in-game.

Tess3ract

Banned
It's right in the post. Korealis soverign, prince, etc.
What the fuck WHY

....That's the whole point though. I love vanity items. These vehicles are already prohibitively expensive, why are they removing them? what the fuck

Alur

As Trevin said, this is usually people quitting. Hell most of our same faction huttball matches end up with like 20+ in it at least over time. I haven't seen the team stacking bug in at least a week or two, and I literally PVP at least 2 or 3 hours a day.

While I don't really care about vehicle, I am trying to understand the logic behind this change. Is it to get more of these expensive vehicle into the game?

Also the decrease in licensing fee, while I never have problem with money in this game, I noticed a lot of my friend/family that are new to MMO tends to be really cash straps. So is this the reason? I think money in this game are very easy to earn and I was the one loan money out to people I know so they can afford new skills.

What I don't like is removing the light/dark restrictions on crystals, it was fluffy to restrict the colors and players are going to be rocking much more of a mixture now, meh. Though hopefully as they say it's a temp thing and expensive as heck, and that afterwards the alignment restrictions go back up for the colors.

And white crystals are going for 2.5mil on PTR

What the fuck WHY

....That's the whole point though. I love vanity items. These vehicles are already prohibitively expensive, why are they removing them? what the fuck

Players at max level are hoarding money and most feel they got nothing to spend them on, it's just going to continue to grow. They seem to want to make a bunch of collectibles that players will want to dump their big wads of money on in a buying frenzy and create things that down the line will always be highly sought after by the OCD collectors who will toss around big money. These are just certain color variants of speeders you can get elsewhere it seems though.

While I don't really care about vehicle, I am trying to understand the logic behind this change. Is it to get more of these expensive vehicle into the game?

Also the decrease in licensing fee, while I never have problem with money in this game, I noticed a lot of my friend/family that are new to MMO tends to be really cash straps. So is this the reason? I think money in this game are very easy to earn and I was the one loan money out to people I know so they can afford new skills.

The license fees for many players as they level is pretty hefty, the biggest money sink when leveling is all the stupid training costs. Once your at end game money is no longer an issue though. I always thought it should be the other way around where the speeders themselves were expensive, not the training. Pay over 300k for speeder license to drive a 35-50k speeder?

Dunlop

Probably people quitting, when you quit your stats are still displayed.

I'm leveling an alt, before work I wanted to do a quick PVP for the daily xp

Voidstar

Imp - 4 people Pub - 10
"Match will end in..."

2 minutes in we have 7 people and the datacron was taken so the match is not cancelled. When we are on attack it is not 8 vs 10 so we would have no chance in hell of beating that time or even getting the datacron

Effect

Well I broke down and got the game. Managed to get it for under $40. Checked the tracking and it arrived today so I'll be picking it up from the post office after work. After playing the beta for Tera Online (which was fun and I enjoyed the combat) I realized how much a story, lore, and the general world in a MMORPG was important to me. I've been a Star Wars fan since I was a small. While I've been turned off by some of the novels I have still enjoyed the pre-movies expanded universe, especially the Knights of the Old Republic era.

I'm going to approach this game with the story and world in mind. I'll be looking to socializing with other players when I can but not going to make it a focus to have to group. As long as I end up on a server where I can talk with others I'll be happy I guess. If I only last for a month or two oh well. For the price not going to stress. It's why I was so against getting ti at $60 since I knew there is a possibility I wouldn't last long if I got it. Most MMOs simply don't keep that long anymore though I might go back to them later on. Think I'll have to check out the forums though to see if I can get an idea of a server that has a balanced population as I want to go Republic first.

I doubt I'll care about PvP in this game. It looks like an afterthought to honest. Here's hoping they have PvE plans for the future.

What I don't like is removing the light/dark restrictions on crystals

This is the only thing I would disagree with you on. Jedi and Sith do alter their crystals when creating them personally, but how evil or good you are should have no hold on your color preference.

Edit: I get that it adds some exclusivity but it doesnt make a ton of sense to restrict them. This is all coming from someone who doesnt have a force wielding character.

This is the only thing I would disagree with you on. Jedi and Sith do alter their crystals when creating them personally, but how evil or good you are should have no hold on your color preference.

Edit: I get that it adds some exclusivity but it doesnt make a ton of sense to restrict them. This is all coming from someone who doesnt have a force wielding character.

I think removing the light/dark restrictions on everything is a good thing. I don't like how they punish players for being neutral.

Giolon

The license fees for many players as they level is pretty hefty, the biggest money sink when leveling is all the stupid training costs. Once your at end game money is no longer an issue though. I always thought it should be the other way around where the speeders themselves were expensive, not the training. Pay over 300k for speeder license to drive a 35-50k speeder?

It was originally the opposite in WoW, but Blizzard found that players wanted to have a variety of mounts to collect - so after a time they inverted the costs. Bioware's followed the same model and I think it works well. Only the truly dedicated (or insane) will spend millions of credits on a vehicle (<----this guy right here), where the more casual players will have to spend time saving up even the measley couple hundred thousand to just buy the license and a relatively cheap speeder afterwards.

I have plenty of casual friends who I convinced to get the game. They're struggling to get funds for fluff beyond training (mostly b/c they die a lot more than say you or I would - those costs add up).

It's more about keeping the world on a somewhat fluffy track. It follows the same issue that SWG went through where they wanted to keep the universe fluffy with Jedi being rare. Players whined and whined because they wanted complete freedom, and then it completely ruined the game when you had Jedi everywhere in gameplay, and in just killing the atmosphere in the game.

By tradition, actual Sith use Red sabers, the ones that used alternate colors were rare and often fallen Jedi who kept their original sabers. The movies and Lucas produced stuff also stuck to the Jedi not using Red sabers for example. In recent fluff they also have put in reasoning behing the red crystals fluff wise based on how the Sith adopted and created their own lightsabers.

I'm not saying they should not have access to all colors, but the point is that the sides should traditionally have a look and if players want a different color not common to them, they would have to work extra hard for it, make it exclusive in some form and something to strive for in game. Being a Sith with blue sabers, should be something unique that you earned, and not something you can easily buy in a store.

I think removing the light/dark restrictions on everything is a good thing. I don't like how they punish players for being neutral.

All it does is diminish the point of the alignment system, it should have unique properties attached to it to let players have a sense of choice and consequence. Just because a minor portion of the player base is not being addressed now, doesn't mean it should be tossed out. They already said Neutrals are getting their own stuff, and cosmetic things don't hurt anyone, what hurts neutrals is the lack of relics, but this becomes pointless later also since the better relics don't have alignments.

Top Bottom