• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I'll be on after 5 PM EST tomorrow to invite; most of the officers are pretty active so someone might be on in the morning.

Milly79

So who's gonna invite me to Empire GaF on Kellers Void tomorrow?

Or should I take my chances on Swiftsure?

It's your choice.

Empire GAF is a ton of fun. If you don't like it, roll on Swiftsure? Only difference I can see is a higher population and PVP vs. PVE server. Not sure how much world PVP goes on...

KePoW

Banned
Have a teammate cleanse the dot off of you if you can't do it yourself? There's 3 different classes that can cleanse dots.

Lol, you can't be serious. I've played a good amount of pug Warzones, and I don't think a random teammate has ever cleansed anything off me.

Milly79

So would it even be viable for me to starting doing PVP at 50? I am literally lvl 3 valor from Ilum (1 time) and that's it. I just have a feeling I'd get destroyed, although I'm almost full Rakata which wouldn't matter in PVP (I think?).

Enosh

Wtf at "Players can now build credit towards the Battle for Ilum daily and weekly missions by playing Warzones. "

So Illum has become even more useless? lol They are basically turning off Illum it seems, assume they are going to try doing something different with the zone in a future update to give it some kind of meaning.
good riddance I say
the money spend on developing Ilum could have been spent on a new WZ or FP, less problems and less people whining about it

arimanius

I'm all for that change too. Annoying as hell being the only one around, but being stuck unable to cap due to a dot. It's all very well saying just bring a cleanser, but what if your team doesn't even have one of the 3 advanced classes which can do that, never mind having to have them with you at all times.

As for dots being worthless, what are you on about? They do damage, that alone makes them useful in PVP.

Other classes probably have better dots than my vigilance Jugg. I even have to use talent points to get the dot added to my skills and the damage is laughable at best. The only reason to waste the talent points was to help on defense.

Now I will just respec those points into something else. The change doesn't effect me much, I'm just not happy that they are removing a gameplay element when they could do other things if this is a huge issue. Like

1. dots remove on death of caster
2a. vendors sells cleansing stims
or
2b. Have crafter made cleansing stims that could be sold on the auction house.

Lol, you can't be serious. I've played a good amount of pug Warzones, and I don't think a random teammate has ever cleansed anything off me.

There's your issue. Pugs always suck. You can't develop your game around pugs. Half the people in pugs probably don't know what their skills even do.

There's your issue. Pugs always suck. You can't develop your game around pugs. Half the people in pugs probably don't know what their skills even do.

I don't mostly pug and it still would be useless since very few builds can cleanse DoT's, and again getting someone to you to actually do it is not as easy as it seems. One person dies, the group becomes disjointed as you wait for them to respawn and get back to wherever you are on the battlefield. Suddenly a group of 3 players can't cap an objective because their one cleanser is respawning on the other side of the map, but they all got hit by a suicide DoT?

I'm all for it, and really would also like to see a similar nerf on AOEs... at least if anything make it that only the initial damage on an AOE breaks capping an objective, or make it work like pushback on abilities when taking damage.

arimanius

I don't mostly pug and it still would be useless since very few builds can cleanse DoT's, and again getting someone to you to actually do it is not as easy as it seems. One person dies, the group becomes disjointed as you wait for them to respawn and get back to wherever you are on the battlefield. Suddenly a group of 3 players can't cap an objective because their one cleanser is respawning on the other side of the map, but they all got hit by a suicide DoT?

I'm all for it, and really would also like to see a similar nerf on AOEs... at least if anything make it that only the initial damage on an AOE breaks capping an objective, or make it work like pushback on abilities when taking damage.

That's why I said I would of liked them to have tried some of the suggestions people are posting. I personally would of liked for them to give a crew skill (BioChem probably) the ability to make cleansing stims and sell them on the AH. That solves the DoT capping issue, gives crafters something to sell on the AH, and still lets DoTs be an effective defense against bads(which is 90% of the player base).

I don't have an issue with the AOEs cause you can just kill or CC the person. The only time it's annoying is on Voidstar and it needs to be redesigned or scrapped all together. Good concept bad execution.

On the flip side of that the amount of CC in this game is out of hand.

Really don't like the dot change ON TOP of the Alderaan speeder change, but eh, I'll live. It just means that WZes will be much more offensively oriented.

I'm actually glad they added some sort of timer to speeders, really is mindnumbing how well people can just zombie east/west turrets.

And I really dislike it when people tell others to roll premade or not at all. If there was more to do PVE-side maybe I'd be more willing to wait for 3 other good players to roll with. This coming from someone who rolls mostly in premades as it is.

Sometimes you just want to PVP, and that means you have to pug. Not every pug match is terrible. Heck, I think I've had more exciting pug matches than premade matches.

Cystm

nah it's just the republic side of things is buggier/shitty because the devs favor empire.

Haha! Oh, wow! And so on, and so forth.

Ilum patch notes /facepalm said:
Lead Designer: "Welp, team, we can't fix Ilum in a reasonable, timely fashion like a "AAA" MMO should be able to, what do we do to mitigate this fail?"

Desinger 1:"Uhhhhh."

Desinger 2: "Duhhhh. Hero Engine is hard!"

Desinger 3:"I know! Make WZ's also count towards your Ilum daily!"

Lead Designer:"Brilliant! So world PvP will basically slowly die out as people would rather play Huttball!"

Desinger 1:"Huttbaaaaaaaall!"

Desinger 2: "HUTTBALL!"

Desinger 3:"DuuuuuuhhhhhHUTTBALL!"

Sorry, I know it is more complicated than that. Some servers are so light in population that achieving 150 Ilum kills/armaments is really too much of a grind, and I understand that.

It's just that on my server where population isn't an issue, we actually do Ilum all the time, and have developed a rivalry - it just seems like it would take away from said rivalry, as it would be easier, and frankly more profitable to premade, and farm commendations/valor then go through the motions of running an ops group, and coordinating 24 people to create dynamic pvp battles that could go either way and have the potential to not even count towards your weekly/daily because the zone is bugged as shit.

Their inability to fix shit and their terrible PR/Customer service is only making these issues more frustrating.

Edit:

Though I have to add that I actually do like some of the changes they are doing elsewhere in PvP:
PvP

General

Players can now build credit towards the Battle for Ilum daily and weekly missions by playing Warzones.

Warzones

General

Healers in Warzones now receive kill credit when a healed player kills an enemy.
Players affected by a Damage Over Time ability are no longer interrupted when interacting with objectives.
Battlemaster and Champion Commendations are now available on the PvP Vendor for Warzone and Mercenary Commendations. Champion Gear Bags are still available.
Valor gained from Warzones has been increased.
Medals are now worth 500 Valor and 10 Commendations. Players only earn Valor and Commendations for the first 4 medals earned each match.
Increased the Warzone AFK timeout from 60 seconds to 90 seconds.

KePoW

Banned
Wait, so there won't be a reason to get more than 4 medals in a WZ? Why would they make a change like that?

That means players won't try as hard after their fourth medal.

Wait, so there won't be a reason to get more than 4 medals in a WZ? Why would they make a change like that?

To get most you have to win the WZ, so instead of hoarding up medals you will want to help you team win as it gives the most valor rewards. That seems to be the intent

gatti-man

They just easy moded pvp.....christ bioware wtf.

To get most you have to win the WZ, so instead of hoarding up medals you will want to help you team win as it gives the most valor rewards. That seems to be the intent

Yes except when a good player is on a garbage team the only thing keeping him playing is medals. Otherwise we just quit. I would say 70% of pug groups im in are quit worthy. Some of these changes make me wonder if anyone at bioware even plays their own game. Terrible decisions being made here.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Na I like the medal cap. Some classes had an unfair advantage with medals (assassins/juggs) and for the grind to battlemaster--medal farming > winning. This correctly places the emphasis on winning over farming damage, kills, or playing "dodgeball" ;).

Ningo

Shall any Aus/Nz Gaf be joining me on the pvp server tonight?

Stephen Reid
"Good morning, or to those of you on the other side of the world, good morning... for tomorrow.

This week we officially launch Star Wars: The Old Republic in several new territories, including Australia, New Zealand, Singapore and Hong Kong.

Lots of more information on all aspects of the launch will be released tomorrow in an update to our official FAQ, but as we've heard requests for server names and timing, we thought we'd give you those details a little earlier.

Here's our official launch timing. All servers will be online simultaneously at approx 5:01AM CST (Austin time), but with timezones straddling a date:

New Zealand: 12:01am NZDT (March 1st)
Australia: 10:01pm EDT (February 29th)
Singapore: 7:01pm SGT (February 29th)
Hong Kong: 7:01pm HKT (February 29th)

We'll be launching with three initial servers dedicated to these territories. As previously mentioned, these servers are physically located in Australia:

Dalborra (PvE)
Master Dar'Nala (PvP)
Gav Daragon (RP PvE)

If demand requires we open additional servers, we have the hardware ready to go. Our Live Production team will be carefully monitoring server population and potential queues to ensure the best possible experience for players.

As mentioned many more details about the Asia Pacific launch will be forthcoming in tomorrow's FAQ update, so look out for it!
"

Alur

Na I like the medal cap. Some classes had an unfair advantage with medals (assassins/juggs) and for the grind to battlemaster--medal farming > winning. This correctly places the emphasis on winning over farming damage, kills, or playing "dodgeball" ;).

I'm with Anbokr. And for those two or three of us who heal in WZ's, this makes things a bit more bearable instead of "shit we're losing let's farm medals while Kruul gets his face bashed in the rest of the game cause he's got the flame on his head".

Also, I note in the patch notes that:

Battlemaster and Champion Commendations are now available on the PvP Vendor for Warzone and Mercenary Commendations. Champion Gear Bags are still available.

I hope it was either an oversight or that they assumed we would know that Battlemaster Gear Bags are still available...because if not they just put their thumbs up battlemaster's assholes.

I've read it's 1000/1000 wz/merc comms to trade in for a BM comm. If that is the case, that's something like 40 games per token in current rewards, maybe less with the new reward system. That will be awesome if it's an alternative method to the bags...a guaranteed method I guess you could say. But I'm really doubting anyone is playing 40 games a day, so if they removed the BM bags we go from at least 2 (rare) chances a day to...sometime this week you can get one out of two comms for a piece of gear?

I mean at the absolute peak of our PVPing (myself, Treythalomew, Quelana, Gatti-man, Max-rogan, Rexos, etc) we would play literally all night and only hover around 20 games. Someone talk me off the ledge here.

On my server Krayt Dragon, from 630 to 715 pm I have already did my ilum daily and got 83 towards my weekly. Its like this every night around this time. Usually both sides have around 2 ops groups going. I will have my weekly done tomorrow.

Jomjom

Banned
Has Bioware given any new information about when they will be adding in more story-related elements to the game (same-sex companion relationships, more story for each class, etc.)?

I've read it's 1000/1000 wz/merc comms to trade in for a BM comm. If that is the case, that's something like 40 games per token in current rewards, maybe less with the new reward system. That will be awesome if it's an alternative method to the bags...a guaranteed method I guess you could say. But I'm really doubting anyone is playing 40 games a day, so if they removed the BM bags we go from at least 2 (rare) chances a day to...sometime this week you can get one out of two comms for a piece of gear?

I mean at the absolute peak of our PVPing (myself, Treythalomew, Quelana, Gatti-man, Max-rogan, Rexos, etc) we would play literally all night and only hover around 20 games. Someone talk me off the ledge here.

Thought I read that the bags are still there along with the new commendation trades.

Has Bioware given any new information about when they will be adding in more story-related elements to the game (same-sex companion relationships, more story for each class, etc.)?

Nothing specific known about class story material, additional story seems to be so far going to be mostly world storyline related from info leaked.

On my server Krayt Dragon, from 630 to 715 pm I have already did my ilum daily and got 83 towards my weekly. Its like this every night around this time. Usually both sides have around 2 ops groups going. I will have my weekly done tomorrow.

Lucky, no one on our server actually does Illum, they just gather for kill trading :p

gatti-man

No it really doesnt. 4 medals means even the most attrocious players get comms and valor. It places the emphasis on the grind. if it was gradiated up to 8 i could see your argument. This wont help anyone. It will only encourage afking and crap play.

Edit: the more i think about it the worse this decision gets. Do you know how long it takes to get 4 medals? Maybe 3 minutes. Whats to stop top players from just getting rolled in huttball over and over to grind out 3 minute games? Or just flat our ignoring the game with the gracious 90 sec afk counter? Its really a terrible system they are implimenting here. I can tell you right now it tempts me to play windowed. Get my 4 medals then surf gaf.

TheYanger

No it really doesnt. 4 medals means even the most attrocious players get comms and valor. It places the emphasis on the grind. if it was gradiated up to 8 i could see your argument. This wont help anyone. It will only encourage afking and crap play.

Then the entire medal system is the problem if that's what ends up happening. But 8 or 12 or whatever number you make up over about 6-7 is not going to do anything but encourage medal farming. For many classes it's a lot of work to get more than half a dozen, requiring them to basically ignore objectives and go medal hunting. This is what that's intended to fix. I'm sure you realize that, but your choices are that either

A) medals are capped, you can easily cap and afk or push for a win.
B)Medals are uncapped, it is superior to not afk at all, but you should be self serving and completely ignore team objectives.

gatti-man

Then the entire medal system is the problem if that's what ends up happening. But 8 or 12 or whatever number you make up over about 6-7 is not going to do anything but encourage medal farming. For many classes it's a lot of work to get more than half a dozen, requiring them to basically ignore objectives and go medal hunting. This is what that's intended to fix. I'm sure you realize that, but your choices are that either

A) medals are capped, you can easily cap and afk or push for a win.
B)Medals are uncapped, it is superior to not afk at all, but you should be self serving and completely ignore team objectives.

Yeah i agree my point is i think this makes it worse not better. It would be better if they made medals more thoughtful then they do. Like make kills and heals only count when close to the ball carrier etc. Im sure half thw people in this thread could devise a better system imo.

TheYanger

Yeah i agree my point is i think this makes it worse not better. It would be better if they made medals more thoughtful then they do. Like make kills and heals only count when close to the ball carrier etc. Im sure half thw people in this thread could devise a better system imo.

Remove medals, reward wins (or only give medals for damage/objectives/healing/protection, and at much more frequent breakpoints, so that losing isn't as painful). Done. But this is Bioware.

gatti-man

Remove medals, reward wins (or only give medals for damage/objectives/healing/protection, and at much more frequent breakpoints, so that losing isn't as painful). Done. But this is Bioware.

This plus allowing 6 man premades and ranked matchmaking would pretty much do it.

Losing should be painful, people should try to win and it should reward the actual winning. Making losing not painful goes around in the circle of just making it just any other grind and if losing doesn't matter that much, then people are going to play half heartedly.

good riddance I say
the money spend on developing Ilum could have been spent on a new WZ or FP, less problems and less people whining about it

Or they should turn Ilum into a Warzone of some sort. They should let you que in to Warzone that you want but then they would need to implement some type of cross server and/or battlegroup.

Cystm

I have to agree with you here. Add in medals for scoring in huttball and defending the ball carrier instead of rolling your face across your keyboard in the pit trying to get a kill.

gatti-man

Losing should be painful, people should try to win and it should reward the actual winning. Making losing not painful goes around in the circle of just making it just any other grind and if losing doesn't matter that much, then people are going to play half heartedly.

Shit just wzing in a non premade is painful. The lvl of play between individuals is like a chasm wide. Some people will do 400k damage while others (non healers) barely do 80k. I play a lot of wz and to me something is way off atleast on the imp side on kv.

Edit: i know kruul and others like to be nice but even he rage quit the other day after shit pvp matches.

CzarTim

Shit just wzing in a non premade is painful. The lvl of play between individuals is like a chasm wide. Some people will do 400k damage while others (non healers) barely do 80k. I play a lot of wz and to me something is way off atleast on the imp side on kv.
It's the same thing on pub side. In non-primetime, I'm looking at 20 minute queues to join a half-full team of noobs. We get behind, more people join so the WZ doesn't close, but it's too late.

I know they are adding ranked WZs, cross-server, and more medals for objectives, but it can't come soon enough for me. It's the reason I'm not logging in more often.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
lol so dot's don't interrupt interactions?

So guardian vig tree is completely useless in pvp... yay!

So guardian vig only job ever was to put up dots to protect nodes? Come on, the dot thing affects every class with any sort of dot and makes pvp better overall. It's ridiculous than you play perfect and wipe out the enemy team only to find that an operative used 2-3 global cooldowns to put a 15 second dot on your remaining guys, thus starting from block 0 again.

p.s. i play an annhilation marauder, so everything I do is based on DoTs.

So guardian vig only job ever was to put up dots to protect nodes? Come on, the dot thing affects every class with any sort of dot and makes pvp better overall. It's ridiculous than you play perfect and wipe out the enemy team only to find that an operative used 2-3 global cooldowns to put a 15 second dot on your remaining guys, thus starting from block 0 again.

p.s. i play an annhilation marauder, so everything I do is based on DoTs.

well the only real benefit to use vig over sweep bombing in wz is gone =/

meh.

lol so dot's don't interrupt interactions?

So guardian vig tree is completely useless in pvp... yay!

All dots were equal, a dot doing one point of damage would stop objective capping even. If you were investing points into those talents to interrupt objective caps, you were wasting points. The whole point of it is sustained dps build. All guardian builds have access to dots.

Alur

Honestly dots interupting cap is incredibly cheap. Its a good change.

I support this message.

CzarTim you should see the late night Starsiders/Prime Defense crowd from your side (11pm-3am EST). They can basically queue in as two groups, 6-8 folks with 3 heals. Good times let me tell you, lol. Actually to be honest it seems like some of them play all day. /shrug.

Tess3ract

Banned
Change I'm all for, nothing is more annoying to be free and clear on an objective but a stupid DoT stops you from claiming it even if no one is around you anymore, forcing you to stand around like an idiot for the effect to wear off.

Or you can get a healer to cleanse you like they should be doing.

What's the point of dots anymore? Dots should break shit like this.

Draxal

Or you can get a healer to cleanse you like they should be doing.

What's the point of dots anymore? Dots should break shit like this.

They're efficient damage for the gcd cost/energy/focus cost, and very useful for kiting?

I'm all for this change as it's a minor nerf to sages, and actually promotes capping in games. As stated, the changes were made to increase the frequency of capping.

TheYanger

The frequency of capping is too damn high as it is most times.

It is? I admit I cancelled a few weeks ago but I found it trivial with even a couple competent players to prevent a bomb from ever coming near a void star door, fixing long ass dots will help with it for sure (Far too easy to just tag one person and then jump to anotehr for the next 10-15 seconds knowing the first has no prayer of capping).

Dunlop

My former raiding anal retentiveness is kicking in. We had 2 groups running HM Eternity Vault.

Every boss up until SOA is not really hard, we wiped a bunch times on SOA and called it a night. No big deal as we made progress but as we swapped notes with the other group who had progressed farther on him, part of their strat was stacking their aoe's (2 sorc healers in that group).

They explained it was actually their strat for every boss and they explained how they just flew through every boss that way.

This guild is not a hardcore raiding guild so they would never pick groups according to this, but it is bothering me that I these raid runs would be better served by just taking sorcs or more so that Bioware has made it this way. Stacking aoe's on a 17 second timer that will heal most parties to full with the ability to throw shields on 2 second timer is too f-cking OP.

Like I said, raiding anal retentiveness but I like to feel that when I am in a raid I an bringing something useful to the table

Honestly dots interupting cap is incredibly cheap. Its a good change.

Only time I find that being Operative is useful is defending the cannon by dotting them other wise it's me being constantly CC and pelt by rock by 3 or 4 sage until I died.

Though that said I do understand the frustration with dot but isn't that what clense is for? may be the game need some sort of AOE cleanse. I remember that what I used to do in AB in WoW is being cleanse bot but that was long time ago when I played that game.

Wallach

I only played the first month, but this statement doesn't seem right to me at all. Offense does have a slight advantage in Voidstar - it's intended to - but if anything it always felt like it was too easy to prevent caps while on defense. The DoT change is a pretty "common sense" type fix that I was surprised to even see wasn't implemented at launch.

Valor looks like it will be flowing much faster, and people going to be getting their ranks and gear faster it seems.... well guess it's better than the full random nature previously. If WZ kills count for the Illum daily/weekly, will they make it at leat require you to get kills from opposite faction players?

Rarely, so many games are locked down in the first couple mins. Defense is way too easy as is.

Top Bottom