• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Alignment doesn't affect anything except give you access to a store that sells cosmetic items. If you care about your choices, then pick the ones you want.

The only thing BW did wrong was imply that alignment is more important than it is.
Putting gear that only rewards the extremes of the spectrum, even if the gear isn't super important, implies those are the superior ways to play the game, and being nuanced and actually role-playing in your storyline is for RP chumps who won't steamroll straight darkside or lightside. That's the impression it gives players, and it creates this dumb unfun tension between choosing for points and choosing for role-playing, even if you don't care about the gear, simply because you are aware of the points going to waste.

Why does it exist at all? It doesn't even make any RP sense for the non force users. And for the Jedi/Sith, why are darkside Jedi and lightside Sith getting rewarded by their faction. It's a great example of how one side of the game design says one thing (role-play your character with personality!) and another part of the game design says another thing (play in one of two cookie-cutter paths!).

I'm all for neutral gear so long as it's not just another extreme on the spectrum (absolute neutral). Every single person should be able to unlock some type of reward if you're going to have rewards at all, because there is no wrong way to role-play your character.

Wallach

I'm all for neutral gear so long as it's not just another extreme on the spectrum (absolute neutral). Every single person should be able to unlock some type of reward if you're going to have rewards at all, because there is no wrong way to role-play your character.

My worry is similar, in that they will make the "window" where you can equip neutral gear small and leave a gap of dead space where folks with certain alignments will not have any valid equipment to reach for. Hopefully when they do get around to finishing this area of itemization, they'll mess with the margins so that there aren't any possible gaps.

CzarTim

Putting gear that only rewards the extremes of the spectrum, even if the gear isn't super important, implies those are the superior ways to play the game, and being nuanced and actually role-playing in your storyline is for RP chumps who won't steamroll straight darkside or lightside. That's the impression it gives players, and it creates this dumb unfun tension between choosing for points and choosing for role-playing, even if you don't care about the gear, simply because you are aware of the points going to waste.

But it isn't. That's my point. It's like social gear or VIP gear. It's just adds something extra in the game for flair.

And you're also acting like it's impossible to change. Diplomacy will get you to either end of the spectrum whenever you want. You can also run FPs too.

As I said earlier, BW's major mistake was implying (or allowing players to assume) that alignment is important when it isn't. It serves no purpose other than saying, "hey, this guy filled a meter up." Getting upset at this is like getting mad that people with security keys get exclusive stuff, or PVPers getting special speeders, or people who played with friends getting stuff.

Wallach

But it isn't. That's my point. It's like social gear or VIP gear. It's just adds something extra in the game for flair.

Right, except people do care about these things.

The only way for you to not get people to care about something content-wise is to not put it in the game; by putting it into the game, you are asking people to care about it. Whatever value judgment you've given it isn't really all that relevant.

The reality of it is that this small corner of content is unfinished, and the itemization isn't complete. That is being corrected, it just isn't done yet. I'm not sure why you're trying to rationalize it any other way. Even the guys working on the game wouldn't bother doing that.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Aloha. A mate of mine is looking to 'upgrade' his computer, and by 'upgrade' I mean buy a cheap PC to replace his recently tanked PC. He's predominantly a console gamer and has little to no interest in playing PC games, except for TOR.

So, he's picked out a cheap system and was wondering what kind of performance he'd get at 1920x1080;
CPU: Phenom II X6
GPU: Radeon HD6570 1GB
RAM: 4GB (I think)

As you can see, the specs are extremely modest. But yeah, all he wants to do is play TOR. That's it.

Anybody know what kind of performance he'd be looking at, and at what settings, for that resolution?

Tess3ract

Banned
That cpu is going to be slow as tits. either pick a different cpu or overclock it if possible (pretty easy with a good cooler like the Hyper 212+)

I think it should be okay for medium settings though

Draxal

Aren't the only relics sub 50 aside from the matrix ones (which alot of people don't know about) are alignment bound?

And those relics do matter, especially in sub 50 pvp.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Started a bounty hunter character and made it up to level 10. Kind of irritated the second planet is the same as what I went to when I was playing a Sith Warrior though...

Speaking of classes, in general what is the consensus on the best one to play? I'm having fun with the bounty hunter, but I'd eventually like to try a smuggler and maybe an imperial agent.

CzarTim

That was a fun HM OPs experience. Also, Jaina you rakata offhand stealer! :mad: :p

I've stolen your stuff last two OPs! I'll pass next time :p

Started a bounty hunter character and made it up to level 10. Kind of irritated the second planet is the same as what I went to when I was playing a Sith Warrior though...
All non-story stuff will be the same for each faction. Once you've gone through a planet the first time, it's best to spacebar through non-class specific stuff.

The reality of it is that this small corner of content is unfinished, and the itemization isn't complete. That is being corrected, it just isn't done yet. I'm not sure why you're trying to rationalize it any other way. Even the guys working on the game wouldn't bother doing that.
I completely agree that they haven't added enough items to make it useful, but I am talking about the fundamental concept of having light/dark side bars. My point is that some people's perspective of what the bar means does not match what, in practical game terms, it offers.

When leveling up, I mostly did light side choices. Occasionally I did a dark side choice, and thus ended up short from Light V. So I got Diplomacy and grinded my way up before realizing that it only gave a few vanity items just like social does. There is no reason to treat it with any more reverence than that.

Milly79

Empire does Round Robin with all auto loot/area loot turned off for EVERYONE. We also have a list.

Piece gets put up, does X need it? if not, next in line. If no one needs it, then that entire class rolls need for off-set.

gatti-man

Empire does Round Robin with all auto loot/area loot turned off for EVERYONE. We also have a list.

Piece gets put up, does X need it? if not, next in line. If no one needs it, then that entire class rolls need for off-set.

I really like our system. Everything stays positive and I've never felt gyped or seen anyone get screwed. Always positive.

Cystm

Aloha. A mate of mine is looking to 'upgrade' his computer, and by 'upgrade' I mean buy a cheap PC to replace his recently tanked PC. He's predominantly a console gamer and has little to no interest in playing PC games, except for TOR.

So, he's picked out a cheap system and was wondering what kind of performance he'd get at 1920x1080;
CPU: Phenom II X6
GPU: Radeon HD6570 1GB
RAM: 4GB (I think)

As you can see, the specs are extremely modest. But yeah, all he wants to do is play TOR. That's it.

Anybody know what kind of performance he'd be looking at, and at what settings, for that resolution?

He'd be fine @ max settings in everything but large open world Ilum raids.

Speaking of classes, in general what is the consensus on the best one to play? I'm having fun with the bounty hunter, but I'd eventually like to try a smuggler and maybe an imperial agent.

Everyone raves about how great the Imperial Agent story is, and the first 33 levels I have played of the class felt like a bit of 24 and Bond mixed into Star Wars. The praise has been deserved so far. The class mechanics for the operative advanced class are really fun and go very well with the objectives you encounter throughout the story.

I don't really mind our system, I think it's just that nobody really takes it seriously to care if someone outrolls them on an item. Once you can kill the bosses, they'll just be there again next weeek, and there are no super rare items to where it really matters

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Are user names tied to server? As in... if I have one username on one server, will it let me use the same one on another if it's not taken?

Milly79

I don't really mind our system, I think it's just that nobody really takes it seriously to care if someone outrolls them on an item. Once you can kill the bosses, they'll just be there again next weeek, and there are no super rare items to where it really matters

Except Karagga's Bell... which didn't show up in round robin and Yoona yet again loot whored. D:

Except Karagga's Bell... which didn't show up in round robin and Yoona yet again loot whored. D:
::Shakes fist:: YOONA!!!!

Buses are also on a FFA need roll basis (if you have a bus of some type, you're asked to sit out until everyone gets one)

As others have mentioned, IA is said to have the best story on the Imperial side. Currently, Sith Sorcerers are the most popular class because they have the most conventional (arguably easiest) form of healing and versatility of all the classes. However, at least on KV, the majority of the Sorcerers are absolutely terrible...(save for the ones in GAF Empire), they can be amazing healers and dpsers but the majority just dont know how to play their class. I have a Merc BH healer myself and I enjoyed it, story is pretty straightforward and as a healer I'm pretty beefy in pvp. Merc DPS consists mainly around using Tracer Missile because its the most powerful skill we have, some do not like such a limited dps spec and I hear operatives/snipers have more variety when it comes to dps. Are you on KV? I'm sure you can get a lot more opinions from the rest of the guild.

Gear wise, I feel like IA tend to have the easiest time gearing up in the endgame, mainly because its the least played class, the majority of our operatives/snipers are nearly done with their rakata set. Warriors seem to get royally screwed no matter what tho...

Wallach

I completely agree that they haven't added enough items to make it useful, but I am talking about the fundamental concept of having light/dark side bars. My point is that some people's perspective of what the bar means does not match what, in practical game terms, it offers.

When leveling up, I mostly did light side choices. Occasionally I did a dark side choice, and thus ended up short from Light V. So I got Diplomacy and grinded my way up before realizing that it only gave a few vanity items just like social does. There is no reason to treat it with any more reverence than that.

It's hard for me to brush it away quite that easily if only because it's one of the few tools they've implemented that RP players actually get to manipulate in terms of mechanics. It's one of those things that probably shouldn't be that irrelevant, even if it is pretty pointless for most of us.

I guess the point is the way it's regarded doesn't match the design intent. I'm not sure it is fair to ask what you're asking of everyone when it's a reflection of the type of choices your character makes, which is certainly something they want you to care about quite a bit; as a designer, it winds up deflating some of the success you might have had in that regard.

CzarTim

It's hard for me to brush it away quite that easily if only because it's one of the few tools they've implemented that RP players actually get to manipulate in terms of mechanics. It's one of those things that probably shouldn't be that irrelevant, even if it is pretty pointless for most of us.

I guess the point is the way it's regarded doesn't match the design intent. I'm not sure it is fair to ask what you're asking of everyone when it's a reflection of the type of choices your character makes, which is certainly something they want you to care about quite a bit; as a designer, it winds up deflating some of the success you might have had in that regard.

I definitely see your point. If there were no items that required a certain alignment, then your DS/LS ration would be an extension of your character's "personality" rather than something to min/max.

Because it's an optional avenue though, I feel like the system can cater to both roleplayers and min/maxers. At least when they add enough items for all combinations of alignment.

Wallach

I'm not seeing anything in the patch notes, but I figured I would ask in case I missed it - is there any reason yet to craft the triage adrenals?

Spending more time with my Rep alts.... I do have to agree that the balance and design of the Republic missions is crap. Even over leveled so many unfair situations they put you in and the difficulty is much higher.

Spending more time with my Rep alts.... I do have to agree that the balance and design of the Republic missions is crap. Even over leveled so many unfair situations they put you in and the difficulty is much higher.

Never played imp so i just assumed thats how the game was, but thats interesting if its just rep. It may also depend on the class, but I definitely found some of the questions and missions pretty diffulct to solo on my rep toon.

Who's your toon in Rep GAF?

Giolon

I've played Imperial to 30 and Republic to 50, and I have no idea what you're talking about. Is it something that you only noticed in higher levels? Because I never noticed any situations that I was like "man this is unfair!" on either side really...

I think it is just depend on your class. My friend play Sith warrior and have to call me to help him on his class mission.

I think Operative healer was super easy since I can stealth around. Only time I find it hard was when I got to the Belsavis because many mobs there are higher level than me.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
He'd be fine @ max settings in everything but large open world Ilum raids.

Is he looking at a significant framerate hit during those sequences?

Alur

Man I hate starsiders so bad. That will be all.

This. Like true personal dislike. Win or lose, I picture them grinning smugly behind their monitors and want to smack the smirks off their faces.

Though I must say, I shelved Kruul and got on Keyes for a bit today and did some low level republic PVP...got in a premade with Starsider (They were 3 heals and I am shadow tank) and it was OP. Very fun. This must be why other people like to play with my sorc.

Might have been more fun if they knew who I was and I knew who they were (assuming they were alts too), but I didn't say anything.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Yay! Finally hit level 50 on my first character. /played was 7 Days, 6 Hours, 32 Mins.

We also tried PVP for the first time. The first 2 times were were level 49 and got Huttball and then Voidstar. It was pretty fun, I killed a lot of people but we lost horribly. The 3rd time we were level 50 and got the one on Alderraan. I think I killed 1 person. We were clearly WAY behind in the gear dept.

gatti-man

This. Like true personal dislike. Win or lose, I picture them grinning smugly behind their monitors and want to smack the smirks off their faces.

Though I must say, I shelved Kruul and got on Keyes for a bit today and did some low level republic PVP...got in a premade with Starsider (They were 3 heals and I am shadow tank) and it was OP. Very fun. This must be why other people like to play with my sorc.

Might have been more fun if they knew who I was and I knew who they were (assuming they were alts too), but I didn't say anything.

They were talking smack last night when it was 6v8 voidstar and they had the 8 plus like always were in a premade. I was like 1v1 I roll you guys and you know its true because I've beat each of you at illum. So they were like anytime anywhere! I get tells after the match saying my group vs theirs. They refused 1v1. I replied yeah let me get my op guild healer and tank so we can all pound on eachother forever.

During those battles, everyone has a significant hit unless on low/mid settings that I've talked to. Just so many spell effects and people crammed into the screen.

I don't take a performance hit to the point where you get slowdown or hitches. The only time I get that is when an opponent dies bc the server pushes out the info causing a weird lag spike. I think with that setup illumination won't be enjoyable for him.

Yay! Finally hit level 50 on my first character. /played was 7 Days, 6 Hours, 32 Mins.

We also tried PVP for the first time. The first 2 times were were level 49 and got Huttball and then Voidstar. It was pretty fun, I killed a lot of people but we lost horribly. The 3rd time we were level 50 and got the one on Alderraan. I think I killed 1 person. We were clearly WAY behind in the gear dept.

Last night I was 50 pvping and 3 of the guys on my team had sub 50 gear. One dude had Lvl 32 gear on. We lost hard. Like barely able to hold one node on alderaan hard.

Maybe this isn't the right thread, but since people keep complaining on TeamSpeak that I don't have a mic and have to type everything out, can anyone recommend a good headset mic?

arimanius

Got my jugg to 50 last night. Was a fun ride, I thought the story was pretty good. Maybe not as good as the IA story but much much better than the inquisitor IMO.

Think I'm done with alts for awhile. The only other class that looks fun is commando because of the awesome minigun. Now I just need to figure out which of my guys (Jugg, OP, Assassin) I want to spend time gearing up.

Cystm

Interesting PvP changes interview with Gabe Amatangelo:

Toroz said:
Gear/Warzone/Commendation Changes
  • Lesser end-game commendations (Champion, Centurion, etc.) will not be exchangable.
  • There will be two levels of warzones. Regular and Ranked warzones.
  • Regular warzones will give out regular WZ commendations, and Ranked warzones will give out ranked WZ commendations.
  • New intro PVP set for new level 50 players to fill gap in gear.
  • There will be some "fun" uses for commendations you dont need anymore.
Ranked PVP
  • Phase one will be server specific.
  • Phase two (coming in the future) will have cross-server queuing.
  • General/UI Changes
  • Combat log coming soon.
  • DPS meters/Parsers will be done by 3rd party addons via combat log.
  • Free/Paid Server transfers are being worked on but no date provided. They want to make sure the process is perfect before releasing this.
Cross-Server Queuing
  • Coming in phase two of pvp changes (later than 1.2)
  • Priority is on playing with people from your own server.
  • As soon as you start choosing certain things (which warzone, ranked, etc.). It becomes more difficult for you to get a WZ with server players so you go into the cross-server queue.

Original video here.

Top Bottom