• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

bjb

Banned
Georg Zoeller is a condescending prick - his tone is like that in almost every interview and forum response he gives. I'll reserve my judgement on game balance for the patch notes, but honestly 1.2 seems quite shallow to me. It's essentially features that were not ready or cut from launch.

After watching countless Guild Wars 2 videos the past few days - it's clear (though it's already known) that the hero engine is dogshit, and can't support more than 16 players in combat at once. How on earth they expect to expand on "World PvP" with such limited capability is beyond me.

If you bring this up to any fanboys or BioWare themselves - they'll just claim it's your rig which is completely laughable. Much like the Darth Hater interview noted, I too can run Battlefield 3 or Crysis 2 on Ultra, but as soon as I get to Ilum and see more than 30 people, everything turns to shit.

CzarTim

Hero engine is the worst. I hope they can improve on it, because otherwise...

I got a scroll of rez for WoW and played some pvp. It's amazing to have these epic fights with dozens of players. I still prefer TOR over WoW though. WoW is boring and has devolved into who has the better Add-Ons.

bjb

Banned
Hero engine is the worst. I hope they can improve on it, because otherwise...

You really can't improve an engine's core performance. At least to the point where it will be noticeably significant.

Our only hope would be if they scraped Hero Engine entirely, which will never happen. Therefore any future PvP will have to be heavily instanced, which it already is and has become incredibly stale.

The engine is so bad that it doesn't even allow for physics with other objects (destructable environments for example), or something so simple as allowing players to swim.

gatti-man

You really can't improve an engine's core performance. At least to the point where it will be noticeably significant.

Our only hope would be if they scraped Hero Engine entirely, which will never happen. Therefore any future PvP will have to be heavily instanced, which it already is and has become incredibly stale.

The engine is so bad that it doesn't even allow for physics with other objects (destructable environments for example), or something so simple as allowing players to swim.

That makes no sense. Illum although broken does allow 20v20 fights with current hardware. Gpus will only get better so it will improve with time.

I'm not trying to say its your rig the engine is shit but it isn't as bad as you say it is. The truth is I've been gaming at 2560x1600 at max in illum with no problems. Now with just one 7970. Before it was two 480gtxs

Nightz

Haven't played this in like 2 weeks. Think I'll hop on later today.

I also got an e-mail saying that Aric Jorgan misses me or something. Sorry Jorgan, I'd rather stick to my BH.

bjb

Banned
That makes no sense. Illum although broken does allow 20v20 fights with current hardware. Gpus will only get better so it will improve with time.

I'm not trying to say its your rig the engine is shit but it isn't as bad as you say it is. The truth is I've been gaming at 2560x1600 at max in illum with no problems. Now with just one 7970. Before it was two 480gtxs

Watch recent Guild Wars 2 Realm vs Realm videos. There's seamless action going on without any interruption. Typically with excess of 50+ people in combat at once, including seige weapons.

Meanwhile - I'll travel to Ilum and drop to 10 FPS with more than 30-40 people on screen. It's an abomination.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

It's not out of the realm of possibility. Age of Conan had one significant update to their engine adding DX10 features and then they replaced the engine entirely.

Man, how many times do we have to hear about Guild Wars 2 in this thread? Getting out of hand, if I want to read about GW2 I'll go find a GW2 thread.

CzarTim

Our only hope would be if they scraped Hero Engine entirely, which will never happen.
That's an over-statement. It's in BW's interest to improve it. Not saying they will, but saying they won't is a bit strong.

Man, how many times do we have to hear about Guild Wars 2 in this thread? Getting out of hand, if I want to read about GW2 I'll go find a GW2 thread.
I'll def. check it out, but people saying it will be the savior of MMOs are in for a disappointment. Same hype surrounded the first game, and it was very good, but hardly a #gamechanger.

Francois424

Neo Member
I got to read the 1.2 notes concerning the legacy stuff that is coming on the offical forums; It isn't very interesting.
Sure features allowing sending stuff inter-faction between your character is nice, and there's quite a few perks to the whole thing...

However, look at the price to unlock the races for example (After i'm done to 50 with a race, I am not really going to re-roll an alt of the same race. At least not on the same server, so money unlock is the wise thing to do). The prices are outrageous; Maybe some ppl where lucky enough to get a lot of money via Slicing or via the stack exploit bug, but I wasn't able to get either. I admit I can make 100k a day if I set my mind to it and am able to sell all my stuff, and that's at level 30 now. But a couple of millions for some unlock is like... wtf ?

Add to that that the concensus seems to point towards a Trooper Commando Nerf (my main class), not happy prospects for patch 1.2;
We'll have to wait and see, but I might be coming to an early retierement afterall. =(

CzarTim

I got to read the 1.2 notes concerning the legacy stuff that is coming on the offical forums; It isn't very interesting. Sure features allowing sending stuff inter-faction between your character is nice, and there's quite a few perks to the whole thing...

However, look at the price to unlock the races for example (After i'm done to 50 with a race, I am not really going to re-roll an alt of the same race. At least not on the same server, so money unlock is the wise thing to do). The prices are outrageous; Maybe some ppl where lucky enough to get a lot of money via Slicing or via the stack exploit bug, but I wasn't able to get either. I admit I can make 100k a day if I set my mind to it and am able to sell all my stuff, and that's at level 30 now. But a couple of millions for some unlock is like... wtf ?

At 50, it's very easy to make money. Glad they are making stuff expensive to keep inflation down.

Watch recent Guild Wars 2 Realm vs Realm videos. There's seamless action going on without any interruption. Typically with excess of 50+ people in combat at once, including seige weapons.

Meanwhile - I'll travel to Ilum and drop to 10 FPS with more than 30-40 people on screen. It's an abomination.

We know you are lying, since theres never 30-40 people on Illum *rimshot*

I got to read the 1.2 notes concerning the legacy stuff that is coming on the offical forums; It isn't very interesting.
Sure features allowing sending stuff inter-faction between your character is nice, and there's quite a few perks to the whole thing...

Add to that that the concensus seems to point towards a Trooper Commando Nerf (my main class), not happy prospects for patch 1.2;
We'll have to wait and see, but I might be coming to an early retierement afterall. =(

If they made the costs lower, it would trivialize the whole legacy system.

gatti-man

I make 70-80k just pvping. I've bought a 1. 5 million and 2 million speeder since hitting 50.

I'll def. check it out, but people saying it will be the savior of MMOs are in for a disappointment. Same hype surrounded the first game, and it was very good, but hardly a #gamechanger.

I'll check it out too TBH, but the point is just stop talking about it in this thread in every single damn post. If you've got such a raging boner for GW2, go hang out in the GW2 thread all the time. It's like hey news flash, this game isn't Guild Wars 2. Get over it and move on with your life.

(Obviously I'm using "you" in the indefinite sense, not talking about you specifically).

Enosh

agree
also I love raids and gw2 only offers the outside variety one and the two presented so far look boring as shit
will play it for the pvp

isny

napkin dispenser
So my guild is pretty much dead. No one logs on for raids anymore because most have the gear and no desire to keep raiding the same content on Nightmare with no new rewards to show for it.

We even merged with another guild to work through the attendance issues and after that even LESS are showing. (Not enough to raid)

How goes the GAF guilds for raiding? Too bad we didn't have server transfers from the get go or else I would have probably moved to a GAF server awhile ago =/

Milly79

GAF:

Normal - Tuesdays, or maybe it's Wednesday now.
HM EV - Thursday
HM KP - Saturday

I'll probably knock out EV this Thursday and just unsub. 1.2 sounds good, but I'm afraid after we do the Ops and check out the dailies I'll be bored once again.

Enosh

a question
do the rakata trinkets drop anywhere or are they just made by a profession? (thinking about the +power one specifically)

Heysoos

Got my first 2 rakata armor pieces! :) Thanks for the fun Rep-GAF <3

a question
do the rakata trinkets drop anywhere or are they just made by a profession? (thinking about the +power one specifically)

My Jedi Sage can make Rakata relics. I've never seen a "Rakata #name" relic actually drop. I'm not sure if they're the game grade though.

Wallach

Of the speeders being removed in 1.2, two of them are PvP ones, correct? To get all four I'd have to get someone from the Empire side? One from social, one from VIP and then the two PvP ones which are faction-specific?

Of the speeders being removed in 1.2, two of them are PvP ones, correct? To get all four I'd have to get someone from the Empire side? One from social, one from VIP and then the two PvP ones which are faction-specific?

Yea 2 for PVP, 1 for each faction, they aren't tradeable at the moment but might change in the future, if you get an extra Repub one ill be interested in buying it eventually, I probably won't hit 65 valor on my imp let alone starting up a pub and getting to 65... :(

Yea 2 for PVP, 1 for each faction, they aren't tradeable at the moment but might change in the future, if you get an extra Repub one ill be interested in buying it eventually, I probably won't hit 65 valor on my imp let alone starting up a pub and getting to 65... :(

I didn't know PVP speeder are also being remove. And which one is the social one?

I am going to try to get to 65 by the end of this month.

I didn't know PVP speeder are also being remove. And which one is the social one?

I am going to try to get to 65 by the end of this month.

It's the Baron one I think, its on sale at the Fleet speeder vendor for 2 million credits and the Social X requirement has been removed (not sure why they did this then left the Valor 65 requirement)

On another note my guild managed to beat Nightmare Bonethrasher on our third attempt last night (got him to 17% the first 2 times) has he had a mega nerf as before the last patch he was a pain just to beat on hard?

bjb

Banned
On another note my guild managed to beat Nightmare Bonethrasher on our third attempt last night (got him to 17% the first 2 times) has he had a mega nerf as before the last patch he was a pain just to beat on hard?

None of the Nightmare encounters are harder per say, as the mechanics don't change at all. It just requires you beat enrage timers as the bosses have more health (and will hit slightly harder).

But no he hasn't been nerfed.

zychi

Banned
How and what time is the free weekend going to start? I haven't played since launch, but I stil have an account and my launcher updated. Will I be able to play tomorrow night?

CzarTim

UjTwr.jpg

Sent

Shitty infograhic

Let me make this easier to read when I did it by hand after the guild summit. All you need are the percentages.

Scoundrel - 3%
Vanguard - 3.5%
Gunslinger - 4.5%
Operative - 4.5%
Powertech - 4.5%
Sniper - 5%
Sentinel - 5.5%
Shadow - 5.5%
Commando - 6%
Sage - 6%
Juggernaut - 7%
Guardian - 7.5%
Assassin - 9%
Marauder - 9%
Mercenary - 9%
Sorcerer - 10.5%

gatti-man

Let me make this easier to read when I did it by hand after the guild summit. All you need are the percentages.

Scoundrel - 3%
Vanguard - 3.5%
Gunslinger - 4.5%
Operative - 4.5%
Powertech - 4.5%
Sniper - 5%
Sentinel - 5.5%
Shadow - 5.5%
Commando - 6%
Sage - 6%
Juggernaut - 7%
Guardian - 7.5%
Assassin - 9%
Marauder - 9%
Mercenary - 9%
Sorcerer - 10.5%

Well i humbly disagree. Id like to see that % when only including characters lvl 40 and up. Ive got a sage lvl 1 and a jugg lvl 15. That doesnt mean that they are actually being used and played. I would guess if we looked at active lvl 50s sorcs would be around 20% and sage/gunslinger would see healthy bumps.

Sent

Well i humbly disagree. Id like to see that % when only including characters lvl 40 and up. Ive got a sage lvl 1 and a jugg lvl 15. That doesnt mean that they are actually being used and played. I would guess if we looked at active lvl 50s sorcs would be around 20% and sage/gunslinger would see healthy bumps.

They didn't give those numbers (I would love to see them too). I was saying that the infographic above was silly posting little human figures etc when all you need are the percentages and the class name. Marauder/Sentinel numbers for one drop off drastically post 40~

Miletius

Uh, did they do something that would change the population in some way? The server that my GF and I play on (from time to time) is "Heavy" even though it's usually very lightly populated.

markatisu

Uh, did they do something that would change the population in some way? The server that my GF and I play on (from time to time) is "Heavy" even though it's usually very lightly populated.

I would assume they lowered the number of people/cap so that already heavy servers dont receive an influx of new free weekend members

Perhaps trying to use this as an opportunity to boost smaller servers?

Wallach

The free weekend thing started today; I'd wager that your server is the default suggestion for these players, since the others don't seem to be showing any weird population signs.

Tess3ract

Banned
There's more sentinels than sages? wat.

Also I have like 3+ pieces of rakata and I haven't even played for almost 2 months now or something.

Not interested until there is new content out.

Alur

Trevin/Gyrs, whoever, I will be on for the raid tonight if needed though I may or may not be a couple minutes late.

DTKT

So, about to finish the download. How are Bounty Hunters? Is the story fun? Are they viable end-game PVP/PVE?

Is there so many of them that it's not worth making one?

Wallach

So, about to finish the download. How are Bounty Hunters? Is the story fun? Are they viable end-game PVP/PVE?

Is there so many of them that it's not worth making one?

Bounty Hunters are awesome, both Mercenary and Powertech ACs. Not a bad story from what I've played, though it takes a while to get more than one companion. There's a fair amount of Mercenaries but Powertech is one of the least played ACs in the game.

Giolon

Bounty Hunters are awesome, both Mercenary and Powertech ACs. Not a bad story from what I've played, though it takes a while to get more than one companion. There's a fair amount of Mercenaries but Powertech is one of the least played ACs in the game.

Why do you need multiple companions when you have the best companion in the game, Mako? (Customization Kit 2)

Top Bottom