• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Did he just state that they are balancing around WZs?

No he didn't. Just general balance talk. But any balance changes made to one is going to affect pve or pvp both unless they put in completely new power sets that act differently in pve and pvp. DCUO is the only game I know that fully does that though.

A ton of new info on 1.2 just dropped, here is a link to a bunch of other links. New legacy info, warzone, operation, etc. Start saving money, a lot of the legacy features seem to require expenditures. It is nice that you can buy races instead of having to level them to 50 to access them on other classes if you so choose.

They unlock for free if you meet the requirements, otherwise you just pay the fee to buy the legacy ability

Draxal

No he didn't. Just general balance talk. But any balance changes made to one is going to affect pve or pvp both unless they put in completely new power sets that act differently in pve and pvp. DCUO is the only game I know that fully does that though.

Ayup, and I don't really view what he said about tracer/grav round being a nerf. The tree needed to be reworked it's boring and undynamic.

Although the part where he says tracer missle kill stuns concerns me, any bh/trooper knows that's the time to switch over to Demo Round/Heartseeker or HIB/Rail shot. They simply hit alot harder.

arimanius

I don't know why more games don't make the skills do different things based on pve/pvp. To me that's the perfect way to make sure things stay balance between the two.

It may add a bit of complexity to the user but shouldn't be much of a learning curve.

Wallach

A ton of new info on 1.2 just dropped, here is a link to a bunch of other links. New legacy info, warzone, operation, etc. Start saving money, a lot of the legacy features seem to require expenditures. It is nice that you can buy races instead of having to level them to 50 to access them on other classes if you so choose.

Legacy buffs to neutral characters. Yussss. /napoleondynamitefistpump

Edit - Wow the personal combat logs sound very detailed. Parsers should be able to go nuts with these.

Edit 2 - Dirty Kicking while moving is like the best non-major patch change. Seriously.

gatti-man

If they add some mobility or interrupt counters to bh and nerf tracer that would be great. If they just nerf tracer they effectively kill the bh dps tree

I really like what was said about arsenal spec. I'm not saying every merc is a tracer spammer, but it really had way too much synergy which makes it an overused ability.

I fee like my sniper has to use more tools to get similar damage. I don't have the luxury of relying on 1-2 abilities. I have to know when to snipe, ambush, takedown, etc to manage energy properly and maximize burst. I would honestly shoot myself if all I had to do was cast snipe and series of shots constantly to kill people.

gatti-man

I really like what was said about arsenal spec. I'm not saying every merc is a tracer spammer, but it really had way too much synergy which makes it an overused ability.

I fee like my sniper has to use more tools to get similar damage. I don't have the luxury of relying on 1-2 abilities. I have to know when to snipe, ambush, takedown, etc to manage energy properly and maximize burst. I would honestly shoot myself if all I had to do was cast snipe and series of shots constantly to kill people.

Right but tracer is so easy to counter its ridiculous. If I'm 1v1 with the right player I'm practically helpless. Interrupt me and CC/hide and tracer is useless. As in dead where the other Guy has half his life. Arsenal is best when i can sit back and destroy people, its a one trick pony.

Right but tracer is so easy to counter its ridiculous. If I'm 1v1 with the right player I'm practically helpless. Interrupt me and CC/hide and tracer is useless. As in dead where the other Guy has half his life. Arsenal is best when i can sit back and destroy people, its a one trick pony.
Exactly why spreading out the power of the abilities is a good thing for people playing. I agree that it isn't a nerf, it's broadening the spec.

I'm with you, arsenal mercs are by far the class I worry about the least in PvP. By the time they can get off another tracer they're pretty much dead, and I just CC them again during the cast. They need more tools.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Just have a feeling marauder's undying rage (5 second invincibility) is going to be nerfed; going to suck cause we rely so hard on that 1 cooldown to stay in melee and put out our deeps.

Do people who have used the 7 day free trial need to buy a copy of SWTOR after or can they just sign up for a 30 day subscription? Trying to buy this game as a gift for someone but not sure what the cheapest route is.

bjb

Banned
Do people who have used the 7 day free trial need to buy a copy of SWTOR after or can they just sign up for a 30 day subscription? Trying to buy this game as a gift for someone but not sure what the cheapest route is.

Fairly sure they would have to purchase the game. After that they'll have a month free.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
What should I be spending my Warzone Commendations on? I just capped at 1000.

I must say I've never been into PVP but I actually had a lot of fun doing it today. I think it's because I suck 1 to 1 but with the team based objectives I find I can be very useful at helping out my team. I even scored a goal in Huttball! Yay me.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
What should I be spending my Warzone Commendations on? I just capped at 1000.

I must say I've never been into PVP but I actually had a lot of fun doing it today. I think it's because I suck 1 to 1 but with the team based objectives I find I can be very useful at helping out my team. I even scored a goal in Huttball! Yay me.

If you're level 50 you should be buying champion bags for pvp gear (exchange your wz comms for merc comms if you havent already). If you're below level 50, get 1000 merc comms and 1000 wz comms in preparation for 50.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
If you're level 50 you should be buying champion bags for pvp gear (exchange your wz comms for merc comms if you havent already). If you're below level 50, get 1000 merc comms and 1000 wz comms in preparation for 50.

Yeah, I'm level 50. I just wasn't sure if that was the way I should go since the exchange is 3:1 but I guess I have to since I won't be doing any open world PVP. Thanks!

I am sure it's the same as WoW free trial where you do have to purchase game after the trial period is over. Lowest I saw the game for was when local store here have it on sale for 39.99 few weeks ago.

Zafir

Wait it was OK to nerf Operative twice without any buff but if BH get nerf it's require they get interrupt buff?
Honestly, I think they went about the Operative nerf the wrong way. However, there was a difference. Operatives could kill anyone, including tanks within a couple of seconds, without being able to do anything to prevent it due to the knockdown. Definitely not the same.

Also, two nerfs? Pretty sure theres only been one?

Alur

I wonder if they tweaked the bm comms % drop rate. Last 3 nights I went 1/2 1/2 2/2. Loving it.

Yep, only you two and Talona I'd imagine. I'm sad I've missed out on my empty bags the past few days. I'm 6 comms away from not logging on Kruul again til 1.2 other than for raiding or other group activities. Not sure if I'll work up my 36 shadow or my 41 jugg after that.

I'll be so glad to have a break from constant premade versus premade one-up-manship. Low level PVP is rewarding because it doesn't require you winning to be fun. Can't say I feel the same about 50 PVP.

Honestly, I think they went about the Operative nerf the wrong way. However, there was a difference. Operatives could kill anyone, including tanks within a couple of seconds, without being able to do anything to prevent it due to the knockdown. Definitely not the same.

Also, two nerfs? Pretty sure theres only been one?

They also nerf Surge stat (granted it's nerf for all the class that rely on it, but that used to be one stat I heavily invested in).

I don't disagree that it was a bit overpower but we got nerf without any buff to our deficiency (namely ability to close in on our target, or run away)

gatti-man

Wait it was OK to nerf Operative twice without any buff but if BH get nerf it's require they get interrupt buff?

I never said it was ok and obviously im being self serving and talk more about BH since I am one. I tend to stay silent on other classes unless I have direct experience.

Yep, only you two and Talona I'd imagine. I'm sad I've missed out on my empty bags the past few days. I'm 6 comms away from not logging on Kruul again til 1.2 other than for raiding or other group activities. Not sure if I'll work up my 36 shadow or my 41 jugg after that.

I'll be so glad to have a break from constant premade versus premade one-up-manship. Low level PVP is rewarding because it doesn't require you winning to be fun. Can't say I feel the same about 50 PVP.
I enjoy 50 pvp now more than ever. The illum 30 takes no time and the 3 wins comes sooner or later. I talked so much trash to Devil he put me on ignore :D Also comparing 50 pvp to low lvl isnt really fair. We would just steam roll everyone in low lvl pvp.

I looked but didn't see this posted. Apologies if it has.

Darth Hater
Guild Summit: Interview With Georg Zoeller

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/swtor-news/19979-guild-summit-interview-with-georg-zoeller

Let's hope they fix the melee issues many of the encounters in Operations have then.

After finish reading that I feel like just letting my subscription lapse next month. He said bunch of nothing and pretty much boil down to you guys don't have all the data we have, so everything we do is right and all you players out there are wrong and should stop spouting off wrong information. (Not that I don't agree that he has more info, but just the way he presented it just seems very condescending).

He also said bunch of contradictory stuff that get to be more annoying than informative. In one sentence he said it's not fun to be stunt lock and kill by Operatives but it's OK to get rain down by damage and stunt lock from range and died because Sorcerer class are suppose to be powerful. Or comment that our internal players can play as good with all class however all the player theory are wrong and we don't know anything about class "blah" "blah" but then he acknowledge that there is no damage parsers in the game and that it's hard to know what doing damage. WTF.

Are they so blind to not see why people gravitate toward Sor for healing or BH for range DPS because it's just easier. It's take a lot more to play other class to be as good as average Sor or BH players then there is something wrong with class balance.

Instead of fixing the gap issue when people hit 50 in PVP, they instead decided to just nerf burst damage. And, oh what with the comment about Operatives doing within 5% of Marauder so he essentially saying Marauder output would be about 5% better then why would any guild bring Operatives when they can get 10% better damage output by bringing two Marauders. If the raid need to bring down the boss quick then I would opt for class that give optimum damage output.

Anyway there are so many inconsistency and contradiction in his answers it just make me piss off reading it than feeling better about direction of the game.

After finish reading that I feel like just letting my subscription lapse next month. He said bunch of nothing and pretty much boil down to you guys don't have all the data we have, so everything we do is right and all you players out there are wrong and should stop spouting off wrong information. (Not that I don't agree that he has more info, but just the way he presented it just seems very condescending).

He also said bunch of contradictory stuff that get to be more annoying than informative. In one sentence he said it's not fun to be stunt lock and kill by Operatives but it's OK to get rain down by damage and stunt lock from range and died because Sorcerer class are suppose to be powerful. Or comment that our internal players can play as good with all class however all the player theory are wrong and we don't know anything about class "blah" "blah" but then he acknowledge that there is no damage parsers in the game and that it's hard to know what doing damage. WTF.

Are they so blind to not see why people gravitate toward Sor for healing or BH for range DPS because it's just easier. It's take a lot more to play other class to be as good as average Sor or BH players then there is something wrong with class balance.

Instead of fixing the gap issue when people hit 50 in PVP, they instead decided to just nerf burst damage. And, oh what with the comment about Operatives doing within 5% of Marauder so he essentially saying Marauder output would be about 5% better then why would any guild bring Operatives when they can get 10% better damage output by bringing two Marauders. If the raid need to bring down the boss quick then I would opt for class that give optimum damage output.

Anyway there are so many inconsistency and contradiction in his answers it just make me piss off reading it than feeling better about direction of the game.

I wouldn't look too into it, all that matters is what actually happens with 1.2 patch notes. Lot of the answers are nothing but vague and evasive and many people are pulling out info from these interviews when nothing clear has been said.

They have also said before it's not about pure numbers of who can do most damage, but overall utility and what different stuff a class can bring to the game. Mauraders might be able to do a slight bit more damage, but they also have alot going against them, especially the issues many are having with the melee classes in operations.

Alur

I enjoy 50 pvp now more than ever. The illum 30 takes no time and the 3 wins comes sooner or later. I talked so much trash to Devil he put me on ignore :D Also comparing 50 pvp to low lvl isnt really fair. We would just steam roll everyone in low lvl pvp.

Gatti it's well chronicled you are a PVP homer. It is the only thing you do in the game minus the 3 or so raids you've been on. Your opinion is hardly objective wouldn't you say? lol

I like the changes they made. I'm just tired of the same thing night in and out versus the same people. It's all about who's online at the time instead of who's actually got the best team. I want some new blood on both sides, or old blood returned...or cross server matches. I know how Valase and Vengeful Malice plays. I know their strat. I know how Gyrs/Priapus/Jamews/fourth person play and their style. I know how Auri and Kaouthakis teams play. I know how Brander and co are going to play a game with their Starsiders premade. Everyone knows how I play and those of you who play with me. It's just a bit stale.

I think it's plenty fair to compare how much fun you have in one thing versus the other. I'm not talking about premade low level either, I'm talking about solo queueing low level which if you give it a shot you'll see you aren't steam rolling anybody with one good player.

1.2 and new (old) blood will be a breath of fresh air. Don't read this as qq, either. I'll still PVP at 50. It's just devolved to the point of only about the same 16-20 folks on each side (minus new 50's) and gotten a bit stale for the time being.

I wouldn't look too into it, all that matters is what actually happens with 1.2 patch notes. Lot of the answers are nothing but vague and evasive and many people are pulling out info from these interviews when nothing clear has been said.

They have also said before it's not about pure numbers of who can do most damage, but overall utility and what different stuff a class can bring to the game. Mauraders might be able to do a slight bit more damage, but they also have alot going against them, especially the issues many are having with the melee classes in operations.

Operatives is a melee class .... I think he was trying to compare melee to melee. Anyway, I still have another month left of sub after this one and if 1.2 come out before that then I will see if it keep me interested.

I also just read about you can buy PVP gear after 1.2 , wtf? Why not make a PVP gear that you can buy at lvl 50 that are just slightly less powerful than Centurion. The problem with 49 going into 50 is most people still sport pieces from level 40-44 (many still in level 40 pvp gears). If they just make entry level gear then it would help with the transition. I mean as a newbie level 50, I should fear when I go up against Battlemaster gear player and they SHOULD have the advantage. The way it is now is just too lopsided but giving away Champion gear for any level 50 is just plain stupid. Again it just show and reinforced more of what I read from that interview, that they just have no clue on how to balance the game.

gatti-man

Gatti it's well chronicled you are a PVP homer. It is the only thing you do in the game minus the 3 or so raids you've been on. Your opinion is hardly objective wouldn't you say? lol

I like the changes they made. I'm just tired of the same thing night in and out versus the same people. It's all about who's online at the time instead of who's actually got the best team. I want some new blood on both sides, or old blood returned...or cross server matches. I know how Valase and Vengeful Malice plays. I know their strat. I know how Gyrs/Priapus/Jamews/fourth person play and their style. I know how Auri and Kaouthakis teams play. I know how Brander and co are going to play a game with their Starsiders premade. Everyone knows how I play and those of you who play with me. It's just a bit stale.

I think it's plenty fair to compare how much fun you have in one thing versus the other. I'm not talking about premade low level either, I'm talking about solo queueing low level which if you give it a shot you'll see you aren't steam rolling anybody with one good player.

1.2 and new (old) blood will be a breath of fresh air. Don't read this as qq, either. I'll still PVP at 50. It's just devolved to the point of only about the same 16-20 folks on each side (minus new 50's) and gotten a bit stale for the time being.

I would do pve but my schedule doesn't work with the guilds. If i get invited to hm/nm ops I will go.

Operatives is a melee class .... I think he was trying to compare melee to melee. Anyway, I still have another month left of sub after this one and if 1.2 come out before that then I will see if it keep me interested.

I also just read about you can buy PVP gear after 1.2 , wtf? Why not make a PVP gear that you can buy at lvl 50 that are just slightly less powerful than Centurion. The problem with 49 going into 50 is most people still sport pieces from level 40-44 (many still in level 40 pvp gears). If they just make entry level gear then it would help with the transition. I mean as a newbie level 50, I should fear when I go up against Battlemaster gear player and they SHOULD have the advantage. The way it is now is just too lopsided but giving away Champion gear for any level 50 is just plain stupid. Again it just show and reinforced more of what I read from that interview, that they just have no clue on how to balance the game.

Operatives have lot more utility and function than a Maurader has, which is one of the most straightforward classes in the game. They also do have ranged options. Mauraders have tons of problems in relation to the SW/JK base designs.

We don't know full details on the PVP gear changes yet, again wait and see what 1.2 does first as the initial thoughts on it was that only lower tier gear was going to be purchasable, the high level stuff still needs to be earned. Players will have to work through ranked WZ's to earn the ranked tokens.

StudioTan

I watched an interview where Gabe said they were going to give fresh 50s a set of starter PVP gear for the exact reasons you just said.

Alur

You've gotta remember, Champion is gonna be basically where Centurion is in this next patch. You'll have Cent/Champ/BM/War Hero...it's not really gonna hurt anything but a few hardcore player's butts to give away champion gear. They could not compete at all with Centurion or lesser gear within a month of the 1.2 patch being out otherwise.

Personally I'm glad. After I finish my BM gear on Kruul I'll level my next guy in time to get a nice starter set for 1.2 on that char and a much more smooth transition.

gatti-man

You've gotta remember, Champion is gonna be basically where Centurion is in this next patch. You'll have Cent/Champ/BM/War Hero...it's not really gonna hurt anything but a few hardcore player's butts to give away champion gear. They could not compete at all with Centurion or lesser gear within a month of the 1.2 patch being out otherwise.

Personally I'm glad. After I finish my BM gear on Kruul I'll level my next guy in time to get a nice starter set for 1.2 on that char and a much more smooth transition.

I may roll a Rep jedi

Top Bottom