• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Alur

Starsiders prime defense. At night there are so few pubs playing they can field 8 man premades.

Valase, devil, hurriquake, sin, vulder, sno, Waldman, snips, jinkx, isam sometimes klemerine komek and whilson

I don't know if you remember this, but when we were leveling up Hurriquake and his buddy Thizz got stomped by us repeatedly in PVP lol, he's definitely good though.

Pretty much all those names you listed are good. Surprised Sin is playing much, haven't seen him a lot. Sno is fairly new in PVP it seems to me, never saw him til like a week ago. Jinkx is Leadbelly/Mobius' wife.

And Whilson, as documented above, is a dick. He got all up in Rexos' shit one night and I wasn't too keen on him after that. Then he spent the next two days afterward constantly pestering me (like serious, constant /whisper spam for 30 minutes at a time) to invite him to PVP and kick you guys/other guildmates to make him a spot. I told him to GTFO and he's pouted ever since.

I'm worried about the ranked WZ games to be honest. Are they making this cross server or same server only for the time being? If it's same server, GAF Empire might have a good/great 12-16 to trot out unless we get some dudes coming back...other guilds on the server are gonna be stacked as well though. Prime Defense will have several teams...though I think Starsiders will only have the one group, lol. Wonder what they'll do since SS has heals and PD has the tanks?

gatti-man

I don't know if you remember this, but when we were leveling up Hurriquake and his buddy Twizz got stomped by us repeatedly in PVP lol, he's definitely good though.

Pretty much all those names you listed are good. Surprised Sin is playing much, haven't seen him a lot. Sno is fairly new in PVP it seems to me, never saw him til like a week ago. Jinkx is Leadbelly/Mobius' wife.

And Whilson, as documented above, is a dick. He got all up in Rexos' shit one night and I wasn't too keen on him after that. Then he spent the next two days afterward constantly pestering me (like serious, constant /whisper spam for 30 minutes at a time) to invite him to PVP and kick you guys/other guildmates to make him a spot. I told him to GTFO and he's pouted ever since.

I'm worried about the ranked WZ games to be honest. Are they making this cross server or same server only for the time being? If it's same server, GAF Empire might have a good/great 12-16 to trot out unless we get some dudes coming back...other guilds on the server are gonna be stacked as well though. Prime Defense will have several teams...though I think Starsiders will only have the one group, lol. Wonder what they'll do since SS has heals and PD has the tanks?

I didn't say they were all nice. But anything is better than getting my ass pounded in a pug group. I'd rather group with gaf but half the time i come on too late or am the odd man out.

Alur

I didn't say they were all nice. But anything is better than getting my ass pounded in a pug group. I'd rather group with gaf but half the time i come on too late or am the odd man out.

That's something I'm struggling with at this time. The wins late night are a lot rougher to come by due to the population imbalance (like 12 pubs queueing versus 20 or 30 of us) and stacked teams...I always roll with the first 3 in with me, but I think it's starting to get the point where I'm gonna have to roll with the best team period instead.

Lately the best team I have run with is me/Cam/two dps or me/Cam/Homicidium(Talona)/Pamela. Two heals is nice.

Dunlop

I'm fine with the zones being big. They are meant to be for leveling only. Big or small, they will eventually become barren due to everyone already completing them. What I want them to do though, is add a bunch of social features that encourage anyone to go back to those planets. Random events, maybe?

It's the horrendous load times of those planets.

I'm screwed on my alt atm because I just finished act 1 but am 4 levels behind.

With a madness specced sorc you can down + 3level mobs without any issue whatsoever (bubble Khlem, AOE CC and then spam force lighning until everything is dead) so it just encouraged me to do the mininal amount of quests outside of teh class quests and get the f@ck of the planet so I would PVP or run a FP from the fleet.

My guild is leveling alts and we try to run WZ's when we're online together but then the loading back to the planet each time one was done was just too much

Now I need to probably backtrack or find another way to hit more levels quickly ; (

It's the horrendous load times of those planets.

I'm screwed on my alt atm because I just finished act 1 but am 4 levels behind.

With a madness specced sorc you can down + 3level mobs without any issue whatsoever (bubble Khlem, AOE CC and then spam force lighning until everything is dead) so it just encouraged me to do the mininal amount of quests outside of teh class quests and get the f@ck of the planet so I would PVP or run a FP from the fleet.

My guild is leveling alts and we try to run WZ's when we're online together but then the loading back to the planet each time one was done was just too much

Now I need to probably backtrack or find another way to hit more levels quickly ; (

If your doing lot of pvp, you should be in fleet as it loads much much faster

Dunlop

If your doing lot of pvp, you should be in fleet as it loads much much faster

yeah, that's what I meant but then you are doing nothing during the downtimes (sometimes takes 10 minutes to pop on my server) wheras you would be grinding out quests on a planet during that time.

I'm going to need to go back and do the bonus quests on Tatooine/Alderaan I guess to make up my level deficit.

Sent

I'll just say despite population concerns (which aren't as bad as suggested by most IMO), I've missed a class or two just to play this game. Having tons of fun with it.

It is as bad as people say. If your server is fine it comes down to "out of sight, out of mind."

Prodigal

Banned
I'm still enjoying the game but it's getting to the point where I rarely ever see people in the zones I'm questing in. I'm level 44 on my Op right now and I just finished Belsavis. I think I maybe saw one or two other people the entire time I was questing there. I don't expect to see hordes of people in these mid/high level zones, but the way these zones are setup and cut-off by orbital stations make the multiplayer aspect of this game seem really disconnected. I'm sure all this has been said before, but it's really affecting my enjoyment of the game at this point. My server is also considered one of the mid/high pop ones.

gatti-man

That's something I'm struggling with at this time. The wins late night are a lot rougher to come by due to the population imbalance (like 12 pubs queueing versus 20 or 30 of us) and stacked teams...I always roll with the first 3 in with me, but I think it's starting to get the point where I'm gonna have to roll with the best team period instead.

Lately the best team I have run with is me/Cam/two dps or me/Cam/Homicidium(Talona)/Pamela. Two heals is nice.

Yeah well don't group with gatti and you lose hehe. Cam is good I like his style. Homi tal and Pam are nice too. I'd rather lose with them than win with most others. Unless I need my dailies.....

Alur

Yeah well don't group with gatti and you lose hehe. Cam is good I like his style. Homi tal and Pam are nice too. I'd rather lose with them than win with most others. Unless I need my dailies.....

I don't worry about the dailies now that they changed them. The game rewards you the Ilum daily for playing ten games...even with it's current problems it's pretty hard to go ten games and not get three wins. It's after the dailies that bothers me. Everyone wants me to PVP with them cause they are either my friend or because I am a healer...and long term PVPing is pretty crappy when it's a bunch of losses.

CzarTim

I enjoy playing enough to get my 3 daily wins, but right now I don't see the point in grinding to battlemaster when the gear will be irrelevant before I get a full set. Even if that means doing ~50k less healing that those that are full BM now.

I enjoy playing enough to get my 3 daily wins, but right now I don't see the point in grinding to battlemaster when the gear will be irrelevant before I get a full set. Even if that means doing ~50k less healing that those that are full BM now.

The gear is not suddenly going to be useless, and will be helpful to get the next set of gear coming

CzarTim

The gear is not suddenly going to be useless, and will be helpful to get the next set of gear coming

My point is that I don't feel like grinding it up when my focus will shift to the new gear before I have more than a few pieces. I do /almost/ as good as people with BM gear now, I'd rather skip a tier.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I'm fine with the zones being big. They are meant to be for leveling only. Big or small, they will eventually become barren due to everyone already completing them. What I want them to do though, is add a bunch of social features that encourage anyone to go back to those planets. Random events, maybe?

This is coming except they won't exactly be random. From what they've hinted have a live events team that will be creating one-off events on different planets. I imagine it will be similar to in SWG when they would occasionally have droids invade Theed on Naboo or Vader landing a shuttle on Tattooine. They were done at random times but they had devs controlling the events.

This is coming except they won't exactly be random. From what they've hinted have a live events team that will be creating one-off events on different planets. I imagine it will be similar to in SWG when they would occasionally have droids invade Theed on Naboo or Vader landing a shuttle on Tattooine. They were done at random times but they had devs controlling the events.

Events probably like most games have been having with seasonal content and such, get people to go to different new places. Lot of empty spaces they can use for stuff. New world bosses would be good too, they confirmed one new world boss in 1.2 at least.

A RIFT like thing would be nice, but with how the planets are set up, i'm not sure how popular that would be to get people to travel all the way to a planet and area too late to participate.

Francois424

Neo Member

What is needed are for some bosses to spawn randomly, on any worlds in the game. Thus you end up having to search the planets for them and creating movement of population, if only for a short while. These "Nomad bosses" should re-pop randomly in time and places, creating a sense of "Treasure Hunting" feel for ppl that love killing these Bosses.

Another Idea would be for a nomad vendor (s/he/it have a ship that can land anywhere), that sells temporary items for good buffs that lasts for a while once consumed). Kind of having an additional buff.

I'll stop there, but you get the ideas... Add a lot of these micro-events, and you get a lot of ppl visiting a lot of planets for a lot of reasons =)

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Events probably like most games have been having with seasonal content and such, get people to go to different new places. Lot of empty spaces they can use for stuff. New world bosses would be good too, they confirmed one new world boss in 1.2 at least.

A RIFT like thing would be nice, but with how the planets are set up, i'm not sure how popular that would be to get people to travel all the way to a planet and area too late to participate.

No, I don't think so, they talked about giving the team tools to create events, I would assume similar to how people can make quests in something like STO, only more robust. A couple of quotes from the producer:

We have a team that is focused essentially on providing content and events throughout the galaxy that make the Star Wars: The Old Republic galaxy a living, breathing galaxy where things are changing.

Expect a few surprises between these Game Updates, too. You never know when the Republic might strike Dromund Kaas, if a mysterious alien fleet could appear in the Core Worlds… or when the Rakghoul plague of Taris might infect the rest of the Galaxy. Changes are coming, and they’ll affect everyone.

Those don't sound like just seasonal events.

What is needed are for some bosses to spawn randomly, on any worlds in the game. Thus you end up having to search the planets for them and creating movement of population, if only for a short while. These "Nomad bosses" should re-pop randomly in time and places, creating a sense of "Treasure Hunting" feel for ppl that love killing these Bosses.

Another Idea would be for a nomad vendor (s/he/it have a ship that can land anywhere), that sells temporary items for good buffs that lasts for a while once consumed). Kind of having an additional buff.

I'll stop there, but you get the ideas... Add a lot of these micro-events, and you get a lot of ppl visiting a lot of planets for a lot of reasons =)

I agree, I would love to see stuff like that.

Would love to see rare spawns like you mention.

Francois424

Neo Member
Had to look this up, but yeah, that's her. Never played Baldur's Gate, though. I'm mostly familiar with her as Azula in Avatar and most recently, Catwoman in Arkham City.

She did Azula ? Wow... She really has a great range of Vocalisation.
I'd never have guessed.

Had the most epic civil war match tonight. Im a infiltration shadow and force speed left and cap and the imps cap right 2 seconds later. Then the whole rest of the match the fight is at the middle and no team caps it and we win 5-0. Set a new record for damage.

1331596100811.jpg

bjb

Banned
Few random thoughts as my interest continues to plummet:

- Server population still drastically declining. A month or two ago, my server was at 200+ people nightly. Now it's barely above 60 each night.

- I understand that valor ranking should now be considered a "prestige" title, but holy shit there as so many Battlemaster's running around now. The title itself is completely irrelevant - especially when 3/4 of the new BM's suck.

- If you were War Hero (rank 70+) pre-1.1.5 then you are more than likely unemployed.

- After watching countless previews and beta roundups - Guild Wars 2 sounds so much more exciting and innovative. I've been playing ToR since early access, and after reflecting back on my time thus far, the entire game still feels like it's in beta.

I'm aware they rushed the release for a quick Christmas money grab. Still, there's really no excuse that a game with this budget should feel so static and boring.

StudioTan

Few random thoughts as my interest continues to plummet:

- Server population still drastically declining. A month or two ago, my server was at 200+ people nightly. Now it's barely above 60 each night.

- I understand that valor ranking should now be considered a "prestige" title, but holy shit there as so many Battlemaster's running around now. The title itself is completely irrelevant - especially when 3/4 of the new BM's suck.

- If you were War Hero (rank 70+) pre-1.1.5 then you are more than likely unemployed.

- After watching countless previews and beta roundups - Guild Wars 2 sounds so much more exciting and innovative. I've been playing ToR since early access, and after reflecting back on my time thus far, the entire game still feels like it's in beta.

I'm aware they rushed the release for a quick Christmas money grab. Still, there's really no excuse that a game with this budget should feel so static and boring.

My guild has been dead for the past 2-3 weeks but looking at my guild forums most people are still going to play but they're not logging in much until 1.2 hits. I can imagine there are a lot of people in the same boat.

What sucks for me is I really took my time and just hit 50 a week or so ago (although for me I still averaged 2.5 hours a day since early access and I consider that a lot of time devoted to one game) , so I'm still really into it and wanting to do the end game but everyone else has done it already and no one is logging on lol. We had people who had multiple 50s already and I just finished my first.

Personally I still have a lot to do at 50 so I'm not bored but I do feel a bit lonely on there sometimes. Especially because I tend to play after midnight and often I'm on the only one in the guild on.

Most MMOs I've played have felt unfinished at launch though, I hope GW2 will be different but I'm not expecting it to. During previews EVERY developer limits players to the parts of the game that are the most polished.

bjb

Banned
My guild has been dead for the past 2-3 weeks but looking at my guild forums most people are still going to play but they're not logging in much until 1.2 hits. I can imagine there are a lot of people in the same boat.

What sucks for me is I really took my time and just hit 50 a week or so ago (although for me I still averaged 2.5 hours a day since early access and I consider that a lot of time devoted to one game) , so I'm still really into it and wanting to do the end game but everyone else has done it already and no one is logging on lol. We had people who had multiple 50s already and I just finished my first.

Personally I still have a lot to do at 50 so I'm not bored but I do feel a bit lonely on there sometimes. Especially because I tend to play after midnight and often I'm on the only one in the guild on.

Most MMOs I've played have felt unfinished at launch though, I hope GW2 will be different but I'm not expecting it to. During previews EVERY developer limits players to the parts of the game that are the most polished.

I don't expected Guild Wars 2 to be the savior by any means, but I do feel as though AreaNet is bringing quite a few fresh ideas and innovations to the table.

Where as BioWare on the other hand took a lackluster engine (Hero) and copied WoW's entire template. I'm not saying that's a bad thing necessarily, but considering just how unpolished this game is - doesn't really ignite much optimism moving forward.

Particularly after reading articles like this one: http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/03/08/b...-old-republic-throwing-people-at-the-problem/

As someone who has done QA on a few games for several major companies, I see nothing negative in that article. That is in fact how most high profile projects work out. Developer has hopes and dreams. Marketing sets a ship date. QA crushes developers' hopes and dreams in order to force developers to make marketing's ship date. It's the circle of life.

The nice thing is that this is an MMO so some of the things cut in order to make launch might be implemented later.

Lain

I hit 50 on my second character, a Sith Inquisitor, and got to 20 on the third character, a Sith Warrior.
Soloing with the warrior is the most annoying part when it comes to heroic quests. Until I get a healer pet it just isn't doable without silly tricks like killing 1 mob, letting my pet die while I rush for the exit. I even equipped my droid with parts to try and use that, but he's so useless lol.

Talking about the 1.2 patch, does anyone knows if Bioware has any intentions to do changes to the AH and the way it makes checking if you already know a schematic or not a huge pain in the ass?

theta11

Aweseome music, I have never played my BH as anything but bodyguard spec but doesn't this vid re-enforce the the complaint that a DPS BH is a one spell wonder?

It's not a one spell wonder but it is close enough, the rotation if you wanna call it that is laughably simple but Tracer Missle/Grav Round do enough damage on their own you can get by just spamming that one ability.

Zafir

Anyone seen this vid? Whenever I'm bored I give it a watch to put me in a good mood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAq7P9HIRjU&feature=youtu.be
Seen an equivalent before.

It's the fault of the tree really. The tree is designed for you to use it a lot due to procs. I think the only way they could solve the issue without completely reworking the entire tree, is by reducing the damage tracer does, and adding it onto the other skills you use, rail shot, unload and heatseeker missiles.

That said, it's ridiculously easy to lock down players specced in that way if you use your interrupts, due to it's reliance on one skill. In that sense, I'd argue pyrotech is the way better tree for PvP. It gives you more mobility, and usually outputs more damage.

Enjoy the pvp, but some nights you just get in nothing but bad games and it sours the whole thing. At least I'm getting credit for the Illum stuff while suffering through the bad stuff.

So how's the state of the game currently? I've been wanting to finish the main quest for my female Chiss BH for a while, but I haven't played since the free month expired. Are things still rosy or have we hit server merges yet? :p

gatti-man

So how's the state of the game currently? I've been wanting to finish the main quest for my female Chiss BH for a while, but I haven't played since the free month expired. Are things still rosy or have we hit server merges yet? :p

Bioware needs to merge servers but they probably wont because of the bad headlines it will create.

Zafir

Seems to depend on the server really. The server I'm on is still reletively lively during most "awake" hours. Others seem rather deserted though.

Eitherway, 1.2 can't come soon enough. People are running out of stuff to do.

Isaccard

Since I'm new to the genre and dont know any better, but doesn't it seem like they have TOO many servers? When first logging in, I had to really search for Keller's Void.

Probably waiting to see what kind of bump they get from 1.2 before merging servers, I imagine.

Bunch of servers don't need merging though and have held population steady, it's just some servers have taken dives and once pop starts to go down, players bail out of that server which further compounds the issue. They got several servers that have gone to light that could be merged up at least, but I don't think they can merge servers yet because they seem to still be working on just being able to copy characters over seamlessly.

Since I'm new to the genre and dont know any better, but doesn't it seem like they have TOO many servers? When first logging in, I had to really search for Keller's Void.

All the servers were full at launch so they added more servers. And as usual with MMO launches, players taper off leaving too many servers that now need to be merged into the lower population ones.

arimanius

I looked but didn't see this posted. Apologies if it has.

Darth Hater
Guild Summit: Interview With Georg Zoeller

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/swtor-news/19979-guild-summit-interview-with-georg-zoeller

On the topic of nerfs, it’s obviously controversial if we decide we have to nerf something. I don’t expect people to throw us a parade. Ultimately, people are going to be very unhappy. Practical matter is you need a complete bird’s eye view of all eight classes — how they interplay with each other, how the entire health of the game is — to fully understand how things go. There is the small-minded approach of “so many people play Sorcerer, BioWare is never going to touch them.” No, that is not how it works. If we leave the Operative the ability to stun lock and kill people — yes, there aren’t many Operatives — but over the long term, that means people will quit the game cause it’s not fun. We have very measurable statistics that tell us if people lose a certain number of Warzones in a row being stun locked by a team of Operatives, then that might be part of that, and they will be not as likely to re-subscribe.

Did he just state that they are balancing around WZs?

Tracer Missile is a community favorite, and I can flat out state that if you pull the Tracer Missile stun on a skilled player, you are not going to live. It’s not working. Alright, if you know how to use interrupts, we see people stand there and they die. But that said, it is also dangerous to have people in a state where they can have a fairly decent DPS rotation with almost no effort. That isn’t good long term for them either. It is boring and it doesn’t add as much combat adrenaline as we want. So we did some changes there to rebalance that particular tree to move a bit out of the Tracer Missile, and require you to be more active in your combat style to achieve that kind of effect. You can call that a nerf. I call that housekeeping.

Looks like a Tracer Missile nerf is incoming.

The buffs are a separate thing that you get for bringing the class to Chapter 2, if I remember it properly and you unlock that class’ buff and then basically, if you had played every class on your side… as long as you played every one of the four archetype classes, your buff, instead of just buffing, like Hunter’s Boon of the Bounty Hunter, will actually apply the Sith Warrior’s buff, the Inquisitor buff, and the Imperial Agent buff on him just like normal and on the group as well. So, it’s a convenience thing.

The gating condition for the class abilities requires a companion because that is how you treat Heroic Moments. That doesn’t exist for buffs. It literally makes your buff, much, much better.

I like the convenience factor but not sure how I really feel about this. Kinda takes away some uniqueness of the classes.

If the buff is the only reason people bring you along, then we have a problem to start with. That said, with what you are saying is something we’re actually not seeing in the beta at all. We do not see in a measurable way that form of discrimination happening. I’m not saying that it doesn’t happen. Let’s say the 0.1% of really top end guilds make that decision. That won’t show up as a broad trend over the game, and then we would have to look at if there are specific concerns. I think we’d address them like area of effect healing in 1.2 and we’re always willing to look more.

Let's hope they fix the melee issues many of the encounters in Operations have then.

Top Bottom