• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

CzarTim

Literally 5 minutes or are you exaggerating? I've never had a load time of more than 1 minute (although that's pretty long already).

It was more like 3 to be honest. Only happens on bigger planets I haven't been to in a while. Running iTunes in the background probably doesn't help.

KePoW

Banned
It was more like 3 to be honest. Only happens on bigger planets I haven't been to in a while.

Ok yeah, it's true that the first time you go to one of the big planets (each play session), the load time will definitely be pretty long.

For me about 1 to 1.5 minutes, which in computer time is an eternity.

aett

I dread the load times when I go to Belsavis for the dailies. It's bad enough that we have to go through the orbital station, too. At least in 1.2 we'll be able to use our speeders in stations/ports and we'll have the option to go straight to our ships from the planets instead of having to go through the station.

I dread the load times when I go to Belsavis for the dailies. It's bad enough that we have to go through the orbital station, too. At least in 1.2 we'll be able to use our speeders in stations/ports and we'll have the option to go straight to our ships from the planets instead of having to go through the station.

Alderaan and Belsavis are like two of the worst, timing them it sometimes takes over 2 minutes to load them.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Because PvE abilities are just not the same ones you're goign to be using for PvP. In PvP you're going to be using things like stuns, bleed effects, trinket effects, anything that breaks movement impairing abilities, things like that.

I guess once dual specs are in the game this will basically be a necessity because you'll be able to switch trees giving you a completely new set of abilities to use.

Right now there are a bunch of abilities I have as a gunslinger (Flash Grenade, Thermal Grenade, Vital Shot, things like that) that are just almost useless in PvE but are great in PvP.

How you fight a raid boss and how you fight people in pvp are just totally different I guess.

I was pretty sure you could already do this but I wasn't sure until I logged in. Next to the upper row of skills is a toggle to switch to a different page of skills. It uses the exact same hotkeys. So just keep all your PVE skills on page 1 and then all your PVP skills on another page if you want a different rotation.

gatti-man

I like how you complain about the exact things I complain about, yet somehow you never agree with me. Hrm.

I enjoy the game and see past its flaws. You seem to dislike it intensely. The pvp grind is semi annoying but it isn't so bad bc the pvp in this game IMO is pretty damn satisfying.

So expensive :-/

Swtor is ballers only!

I now have a Rep alt named gattiman. He will be a sentinal since that is what rapes my guts in pvp currently.

Screw Kruul and Screw Talona

That's all

I keep losing, damn you

Kruul still pvp's? Maybe he's just avoiding me :-/

Big thanks to camlost for helping us get our +10 datacrons

Laekon

Any class story better than the rest? I played a few classes to level 5 or so and choose Imperial Agent to go on with. I only plan on playing this as a single player game and will probably only take one class to 50.

UltraMav

Imperial Agent is widely regarded (on GAF at least) as the most well written. Jedi Knight however is essentially "KOTOR 3" from what I've heard, so if I was choosing only one I would go with JK.

However my main is a Scoundrel and I enjoyed my story immensely, although it was clearly a "side story."

Cystm

Your double penetration fetish is getting out of control.
nliFq.jpg

We are here for you, man.

kms_md

I've got Azura upto level 55 valor, 5 more till Battle master!

I also have long load times on Belsavis, hate going there to do dailies...

those last 5 levels take forever - roughly 30-40k valor per level. i am currently almost 58 on my main and am hoping to get to 60 before 1.2 drops.

arimanius

those last 5 levels take forever - roughly 30-40k valor per level. i am currently almost 58 on my main and am hoping to get to 60 before 1.2 drops.

Ugh, I just got to 55 last night and was hoping to be able to get to 65 before 1.2 to get the pvp vehicle.

arimanius

Any class story better than the rest? I played a few classes to level 5 or so and choose Imperial Agent to go on with. I only plan on playing this as a single player game and will probably only take one class to 50.

I'd rank the stories that I have completed as

IA > Sith Warrior >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sith Inquisitor.

The caveat to my ranking the Sith Inquisitor is my guy is an Assassin and the story is really made for the Sorcerer IMO.

Tess3ract

Banned
I enjoy the game and see past its flaws. You seem to dislike it intensely. The pvp grind is semi annoying but it isn't so bad bc the pvp in this game IMO is pretty damn satisfying.

I don't hate it, but I pull no punches when it comes to liking a thing or not. Someone's got to raise a fuss because people just roll over and let themselves get stepped on.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I don't hate it, but I pull no punches when it comes to liking a thing or not. Someone's got to raise a fuss because people just roll over and let themselves get stepped on.
What's your address? Cause I have a hero bear to send you.

Kept failing the ship missions until I found the ship upgrade vendor. Man, what a difference!

I also kept failing a fight with a Sith Lord until I realized you can summon companions anywhere. Again, what a difference. It feels like my early days of WoW all over again - constant failure forcing me to learn the game haha

So I finally got a chance to try this during the free weekend and I don't think I'll be playing beyond that. It's a shame because I like the story stuff and the setting (I'm a big Star Wars fan) but the main killer is the combat. I just can't stand WoW style MMO combat. I gave it a few chances (In this and other games including WoW) but it just bores the hell out of me and other than the time sink, it's the only thing keeping me from getting in to any MMO since PSO.

Again it's a shame because really that's the only thing holding me back from really enjoying it and even then I was still tempted to give it a month a so. I was enjoying my Sith warrior's story (I also tried a little of the trooper for a different play style) and was more engrossed in it than I ever was in WoW, but $50 is too much to gamble on that :/

Kept failing the ship missions until I found the ship upgrade vendor. Man, what a difference!

I also kept failing a fight with a Sith Lord until I realized you can summon companions anywhere. Again, what a difference. It feels like my early days of WoW all over again - constant failure forcing me to learn the game haha

You will always want your companions with you out, only a few instances force you to play the general questing without one for story purposes. Game is designed around fights using your companions so your at a big disadvantage without using them.

GungHo

Not to try to "convince" you, but the Sith Warrior/Jedi Knight is probably the most "WoW"-ish class you could have picked. That being said, the game has a lot of WoW: Star Wars Edition designed into it and it will probably never get away from that. The other classes are a little different and don't operate like direct transplants... especially the gun-toters (e.g. while there are roguish concepts in the Operative/Scoundrel, there's a big departure if you're a healer; the closest analog to the Sniper/Gunslinger is a hunter, but the cover mechanic is wholly unique). Still, if WoW-ness is a big problem, you're never going to see beyond that.

Not to try to "convince" you, but the Sith Warrior/Jedi Knight is probably the most "WoW"-ish class you could have picked. That being said, the game has a lot of WoW: Star Wars Edition designed into it and it will probably never get away from that. The other classes are a little different and don't operate like direct transplants... especially the gun-toters (e.g. while there are roguish concepts in the Operative/Scoundrel, there's a big departure if you're a healer; the closest analog to the Sniper/Gunslinger is a hunter, but the cover mechanic is wholly unique). Still, if WoW-ness is a big problem, you're never going to see beyond that.

Yeah, That's why I tried trooper for a little bit. Though I did find it refreshingly different wielding a gun it was still a little too WoW for me. And when I say that, I don't mean to knock it beyond the fact that that's just not my cup of tea.

Again though, I was enjoying everything else which was the real bummer to me.

1.2 is taking too long. :( When does everyone else see it coming out? I'm guessing mid-April. :/ So near Spring finals. Bah.

Depends if they can get stuff ironed out, patch this week for it to fix alot of the bugs with it and PTR folks have found lot of little things here and there. They delayed it's release so it would be more polished than the 1.1 debacle.

If I had to guess, the 2nd week of April.... just tossing out random shit here though.

FLEABttn

Banned
I don't think I've ever had a load time of over a minute. SSDs are the way to go!

SATA III I take it? I've played TOR on two different SSD's and the load times are still obscene.

I still really like the game but the population on my server has fallen off quite a bit. It's becoming significantly harder to find healers, to the point where my guild can't even find the players use for the day, never mind recruitment. But boy oh boy the community building this spamming in general is providing us. We spam, almost nobody responds, we ask nicely directly, we get told no thanks. Yes, pre-LFG tools were so much better. It's like taking a stroll down rose-tinted lane, except without the disillusion of nostalgia.

gatti-man

Trying out the weeks trial they gave me.

This games engine is an absolute dog

True. Idk what's wrong with it however now that I switched to a 7970 its silky smooth everywhere. Before with 480gtx I would get occasional hitching on fleet.

God early lvl Jedi story is so bad. Its even worse now that I'm replaying it from beta. Spacebarspacebarspacebaaaaaaaaaar.

Draxal

Test client runs a bit smoother, so they are working on the engine (at least I think it does when I tried it).

They really did not think their end-game design at all, no features plus 1:1:2 T:H:D ratio is incredibly stupid for groups as there's an overabundance of dps in theme park mmo's. This is compounded by there's no duospec in the game compared to Wow/Rift which both have it.

gatti-man

Test client runs a bit smoother, so they are working on the engine (at least I think it does when I tried it).

They really did not think their end-game design at all, no features plus 1:1:2 T:H:D ratio is incredibly stupid for groups as there's an overabundance of dps in theme park mmo's. This is compounded by there's no duospec in the game compared to Wow/Rift which both have it.

I would totally dual spec healer dps if i could

Lot of groups run ops with only one tank, as it's more advantageous to use the extra dps and really the 2nd tank is only beneficial in a few instances.

Don't see any issue with the ratios you are putting out though, its somewhat normal and even then folks don't follow the tanking requirement always. Course our guild has also had the problem of over abundance of healers and not enough dps. Dual specs will be very helpful for everyone.

Zafir

I think the bigger issue is the scaling of the ratio. The over abundance of DPS is actually a good thing when you take into account the ratios for operations is 1:2:5(You may need an extra tank for certain bosses, but you're better off just using a DPS specced tank class to offtank instead) and 2:4:10 for 8man and 16man respectively.

Draxal

Lot of groups run ops with only one tank, as it's more advantageous to use the extra dps and really the 2nd tank is only beneficial in a few instances.

Don't see any issue with the ratios you are putting out though, its somewhat normal and even then folks don't follow the tanking requirement always. Course our guild has also had the problem of over abundance of healers and not enough dps. Dual specs will be very helpful for everyone.

I should of specified flashpoints (the Wow ratio would totally be off as well if I included raids).

I should of specified flashpoints (the Wow ratio would totally be off as well if I included raids).

I don't see how it's not the perfect ratio for flashpoints. Us tanks and healers need to have a place to play as well :p

Only thing they could have done to change things would be of course making the group allowances bigger, but all that does is make getting groups together even harder.

That was gonna be my next question, is there any plans for dual specs? switiching between jugg/marauder, commando/vanguard?

Dual specs are coming, as well as multi specs, but you won't be able to switch between Advanced classes, you will be able to switch between the 3 trees of your AC

Draxal

I don't see how it's not the perfect ratio for flashpoints. Us tanks and healers need to have a place to play as well :p

Only thing they could have done to change things would be of course making the group allowances bigger, but all that does is make getting groups together even harder.

Dual specs are coming, as well as multi specs, but you won't be able to switch between Advanced classes, you will be able to switch between the 3 trees of your AC

Wow's dungeon finder is always blocked by the tank, as tank pugging is pretty frustrating in that game. (Insta q's for tanks in dungeon finder compared to 8-13 for the 3 dps in 5 man groups ... which used to be even longer until they gave out bonus rewards for tanking in groups). I actually think tanking this game is even more frustating (I wouldn't even dream of tanking with my jedi knight the way the game's set up now).

GungHo

Given the way they branched their ACs off, I can't think of an elegant way they could allow you to switch ACs unless you either had to buy all the powers/ranks for both ACs or they turned the power buy off and assumed if you bought everything at Level 23 for a Gunslinger you'd have bought the Scoundrel stuff. The different armor classes for the Knights/Warriors would also present a problem. It's more than just "this guy uses one sword and this guy uses two".

KePoW

Banned
They are not going to allow changing classes, nor should they. Jugg & Marauder are totally separate classes for all intents and purposes.

They only came up with the "Advanced Class" system to reduce the amount of writing and voice work. (which I completely understand, because they've already got 8 completely separate Class stories, and 16 Class voice actors... that is a *TON* of work)

Calvinpewpewpew

Neo Member
Hey all, I recently returned to SWTOR after taking a break after the first month with a new class and a new enjoyment of the game. Who is the best person currently to talk to for a guild invite?

Thanks very much (Also, hey Kepow, long time no see!)

Top Bottom