• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Woorloog

Banned
Back at playing TOR. Visiting Tenerife and patch 1.1 somehow stopped me from playing.
BH Powertech this time (Trask Ulgo (RP), EU). Love this class. Story is fun so far as well (level 21, in Nar Shaddaa ATM), though playing a neutral bounty hunter is very difficulty, i don't think i've killed but one or two of my targets...
My only problems: Frame rate and talent specs. My average frame rate (25ish) makes tanking and PVP impossible, both require steady frame rate in my experience. Yet only spec i'm comfortable with is the tanking spec. Dunno exactly why, might the increased survivability, especially when i'm running with Mako, i die very, very rarely. But it feels stupid running around in tank spec and tank stance without actually tanking. Works for levelling... but what i'm going to say to others if i group up?
Other specs... well, Pyrotech didn't fit me at all. I couldn't figure out proper use for Incendiary Missile nor a good rotation. And Advanced Prototype looks like it is going to suffer from lack of survivability like Pyrotech compared to Shieldtech when soloing, something i, oddly, really prefer in this game (compared to WoW).

Miletius

Back at playing TOR. Visiting Tenerife and patch 1.1 somehow stopped me from playing.
BH Powertech this time (Trask Ulgo (RP), EU). Love this class. Story is fun so far as well (level 21, in Nar Shaddaa ATM), though playing a neutral bounty hunter is very difficulty, i don't think i've killed but one or two of my targets...
My only problems: Frame rate and talent specs. My average frame rate (25ish) makes tanking and PVP impossible, both require steady frame rate in my experience. Yet only spec i'm comfortable with is the tanking spec. Dunno exactly why, might the increased survivability, especially when i'm running with Mako, i die very, very rarely. But it feels stupid running around in tank spec and tank stance without actually tanking. Works for levelling... but what i'm going to say to others if i group up?
Other specs... well, Pyrotech didn't fit me at all. I couldn't figure out proper use for Incendiary Missile nor a good rotation. And Advanced Prototype looks like it is going to suffer from lack of survivability like Pyrotech compared to Shieldtech when soloing, something i, oddly, really prefer in this game (compared to WoW).

I leveled my BH as AP (up until I could get charge for pvp) and I loved it. Here are the pluses:

1) Easy heat management. Retractable blade is very heat efficient, and you've got in built heat management early on in the talent tree. Later on, you'll be using flamethrower as part of your rotation which is naturally heat neutral (as long as you're in low heat to start).
2) Easy Group killing even when DFA is down -- Often times I'd gut each of my targets and then just group them up for a yoga flame.
3) A natural run speed buff in combat -- can't be exaggerated enough as to how much better this makes the game play.
4) Still somewhat survivable (especially since you get your healing companion at level 1).

UltraMav

Agree that Consular is indeed the most boring story I have experienced so far in TOR. Heard the Sith equivalent sucks too though...

Wallach

I leveled my BH as AP (up until I could get charge for pvp) and I loved it. Here are the pluses:

1) Easy heat management. Retractable blade is very heat efficient, and you've got in built heat management early on in the talent tree. Later on, you'll be using flamethrower as part of your rotation which is naturally heat neutral (as long as you're in low heat to start).
2) Easy Group killing even when DFA is down -- Often times I'd gut each of my targets and then just group them up for a yoga flame.
3) A natural run speed buff in combat -- can't be exaggerated enough as to how much better this makes the game play.
4) Still somewhat survivable (especially since you get your healing companion at level 1).

I hit 40 the other day as Shield Tech, but I think I'm going to swap over to AP myself. It looks really fun, and I don't think I'm going to want to tank at 50. That may change but honestly I'm not crazy about tanking in this game.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Agree that Consular is indeed the most boring story I have experienced so far in TOR. Heard the Sith equivalent sucks too though...

Consular's story doesn't seem that great. Imperial Agent on the other hand, is awesome.

A healer should never be able to go one on one with another build, it's a support class. Healers right now sadly can take quite a beating and heal themselves while still being able to heal others in their team. Healers should be fragile and required to work as a team with others to be optimal. I can see them nerfing the merc and commando healing (though don't like it) because of their increased survivability as well as them having much more flexibility in being able to pump out damage if need be. But then this also becomes an issue that they are nerfing based on pvp, while it hurts the pve portion of the game.

They try to balance on pvp and your going to have folks in pve situations not wanting to group with a healer just because he has more survivability.

I played a gunslinger to level 40 valor on the GAF server and found most pvp matches incredibly frustrating even when I was doing well.

I started a healing sage on my brother's guild's server and my pvp abilities are so far beyond my smug's. Healers are overpowered IMO. I can easily keep myself alive against almost all enemies in 1 on 1 situations.

gatti-man

I played a gunslinger to level 40 valor on the GAF server and found most pvp matches incredibly frustrating even when I was doing well.

I started a healing sage on my brother's guild's server and my pvp abilities are so far beyond my smug's. Healers are overpowered IMO. I can easily keep myself alive against almost all enemies in 1 on 1 situations.

I've seen geared healers stand against 6v1 when guarded.

Oh yea i've had 5 beating on me and survived when guarded, only thing is you feel useless to the team as you cant see anything as your screen has so much going on, I feel frustrated that im not helping the team by fulfilling my role as im so busy trying to keep myself up.

Well heals + guarding should be fairly tough but a group of 6 should be able with interrupts and such be able to handle it.

More concerned that pretty much any duel one on one, the healer is going to win by simple attrition as interrupts are on too long a CD while the heals are too numerous to stop. I'm find with healers being able to last longer if they focus on healing themselves, but they can pretty much heal and also win the fight easily one on one against any build... the healing should make things closer in a one on one where it can go either way. I don't want to see healers being useless without support of others, but right now in current version of the game they just are too powerful in pvp.

Not sure how it is in 1.2 with all the nerfs to healers and increase in expertise in pvp

Oh yea i've had 5 beating on me and survived when guarded, only thing is you feel useless to the team as you cant see anything as your screen has so much going on, I feel frustrated that im not helping the team by fulfilling my role as im so busy trying to keep myself up.

Just sitting there taking a beating alone is helping your team win if 5 of the 8 players on your opposite team is busy attacking just you.

gatti-man

If 5-6 people are focusing on you in pvp your team is easily winning. Easily.

Well heals + guarding should be fairly tough but a group of 6 should be able with interrupts and such be able to handle it.

More concerned that pretty much any duel one on one, the healer is going to win by simple attrition as interrupts are on too long a CD while the heals are too numerous to stop. I'm find with healers being able to last longer if they focus on healing themselves, but they can pretty much heal and also win the fight easily one on one against any build... the healing should make things closer in a one on one where it can go either way. I don't want to see healers being useless without support of others, but right now in current version of the game they just are too powerful in pvp.

Not sure how it is in 1.2 with all the nerfs to healers and increase in expertise in pvp

Just sitting there taking a beating alone is helping your team win if 5 of the 8 players on your opposite team is busy attacking just you.

The healer died but it took a while of pushing and CC. By then the battle was totally lost.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Trying to figure out what to play next: Jedi Consular, Sith Inquisitor, or Sith Warrior?
What did you play before?

If it was a Jedi Knight, there is a lot in the Sith Warrior side that references the Knight's story and vice versa... you'll get a broader understanding of why you were on certain missions or what the fallout might have been from your own missions. Balmorra and Taris are particularly set up this way.

If you want a change of pace, though, I'd probably say go Inquisitor so you can try a different side of the game from the Rage mechanic and see a different faction.

As others have said, the Warrior has the strongest story of the three listed classes. The Consular takes awhile to get any traction and the Inquisitor is actually more fun for his/her responses when he/she isn't suffering fools than when playing out the story missions.

gatti-man

Yes, sadly so many huttballs lost because your team is in a corner trying to kill a healer while the enemy team just waltz into the goal untouched.

If a healer and tank or even me a 19k HP merc its hard to stop us in huttball. However sorcs still rule that map. A sorc healers is just godly in huttball.

Jomjom

Banned
What did you play before?

If it was a Jedi Knight, there is a lot in the Sith Warrior side that references the Knight's story and vice versa... you'll get a broader understanding of why you were on certain missions or what the fallout might have been from your own missions. Balmorra and Taris are particularly set up this way.

If you want a change of pace, though, I'd probably say go Inquisitor so you can try a different side of the game from the Rage mechanic and see a different faction.

As others have said, the Warrior has the strongest story of the three listed classes. The Consular takes awhile to get any traction and the Inquisitor is actually more fun for his/her responses when he/she isn't suffering fools than when playing out the story missions.

I was a Jedi Knight, so Warrior it is! Thanks for all the recommendations guys!

Draxal

I hit 40 the other day as Shield Tech, but I think I'm going to swap over to AP myself. It looks really fun, and I don't think I'm going to want to tank at 50. That may change but honestly I'm not crazy about tanking in this game.

AP/Tactics is supposedly the worst dps tree in the game right now endgame. Most dps power/vanguards go pyro/assault to spam railshot/HIB.

New PTS patch notes are up. They finally fixed the glitch that let me stockpile warzone medkits and expertise stims with the under 50 daily pvp quest. It was a nice run while it lasted.

Yay more stuff in the Outlaw's Den chests... now increase the rate in which they spawn! The spawn rate on the chests is ridiculous that most people don't bother. If they greatly increased the rate of respawn people would actually sped time there

Miletius

AP/Tactics is supposedly the worst dps tree in the game right now endgame. Most dps power/vanguards go pyro/assault to spam railshot/HIB.

I wouldn't worry about it just yet, since he just hit 40. It does more than enough damage and is much more efficient at that level.

gatti-man

Yay more stuff in the Outlaw's Den chests... now increase the rate in which they spawn! The spawn rate on the chests is ridiculous that most people don't bother. If they greatly increased the rate of respawn people would actually sped time there

What's the spawn rate now? 1 per 30 minutes? Seems even longer than that.

What's the spawn rate now? 1 per 30 minutes? Seems even longer than that.

I don't know exactly, probably something like that. I went for the hell of it once few weeks ago and was the only person in the den for almost 20 minutes and not a single chest dropped. No other benefit to the area. When they announced the den it was also stated that it would have spawns of the highest level gathering nodes appearing in it... that never happened. But then now they are adding those to the daily quest areas...... really?

They expect people to gather in there to fight it out for a single chest every half hour or so? If those chests were dropping at a much faster rate, you would surely have people at the den.

HBroward

Yeah, the fact you can get recruit piece drops from them should make it fairly active I imagine, who wants to spend 320k if you don't have to. And removing mercenary commendations and replacing them with warzone commendations is nice also.

arimanius

New PTS patch notes are up. They finally fixed the glitch that let me stockpile warzone medkits and expertise stims with the under 50 daily pvp quest. It was a nice run while it lasted.

The last couple of patch notes leave me to believe that once it hits the PTS, they are only going to be doing bug fixes and minor non-class adjustments.

So any hope for things like crash being removed from Juggs or the backstab cooldown being reduced back down to normal are lost. :(

The last couple of patch notes leave me to believe that once it hits the PTS, they are only going to be doing bug fixes and minor non-class adjustments.

So any hope for things like crash being removed from Juggs or the backstab cooldown being reduced back down to normal are lost. :(

Any tweaks to classes will likely be saved for the weekly patches, as with all MMOs this stuff never stops. There main focus right now is likely to get 1.2 polished up and done for release soon.

Wallach

On 1.2 PTS I know parses have it around 5-6% behind Pyro, and as far as I know Pyro is actually on the high end of DPS specs in the game still. AP also has a significant scaling advantage, so without changes to how Pyro works AP will overtake Pyro pretty soon - if not this new tier of gear, then the next is almost guaranteed.

Draxal

On 1.2 PTS I know parses have it around 5-6% behind Pyro, and as far as I know Pyro is actually on the high end of DPS specs in the game still. AP also has a significant scaling advantage, so without changes to how Pyro works AP will overtake Pyro pretty soon - if not this new tier of gear, then the next is almost guaranteed.

Pyro is going to get hit somewhat with the patch (the icd on railshot refresh/no heat), and it wasn't a strong pve dps spec as much as it was a really strong pvp spec due to the railshot burst.

Wallach

Pyro is going to get hit hard with the patch (the icd on railshot refresh/no heat), and it wasn't a strong pve dps spec as much as it was a really strong pvp spec due to the railshot burst.

The drop in Pyro's PvE DPS is about 4% with the changes, and it most certainly was a strong PvE DPS spec. Even on 1.2 (where it's possible to quickly dump ACT parses) it is in the upper tier of PvE DPS.

Draxal

The drop in Pyro's PvE DPS is about 4% with the changes, and it most certainly was a strong PvE DPS spec. Even on 1.2 (where it's possible to quickly dump ACT parses) it is in the upper tier of PvE DPS.

I haven't seen many parses at all for this game (where are you finding the?, i see some of the numbers are based on sith warrior but I don't see all of them), so I was specifically commenting on it's pvp burst (which I should of made more clearer)

And even if the two specs do parse well how do they compare to both spec marauders?

Wallach

I haven't seen many parses at all for this game (where are you finding the?, i see some of the numbers are based on sith warrior but I don't see all of them), so I was specifically commenting on it's pvp burst (which I should of made more clearer)

And even if the two specs do parse well how do they compare to both spec marauders?

You'll need to get parses like that from players directly right now. CKN's Powertech was still running Pyro after doing some dummy work and dumping into ACT (and if I remember right he was doing something like 1500-ish only self buffed on average as Pyro).

As far as other class comparisons go, I'm not really that certain since I don't pay as much attention to ACs outside of Scoundrel/Powertech, but IIRC both Marauder and Sniper have specs that are in the top 3 across the board. That said, those are mostly S&F style parses; Snipers probably get much closer to those kinds of numbers in actual encounters than Marauders do.

Edit - Went back and checked and it was lower on the dummy parses than I recall. Also seeing real poopstain Sniper parses which makes me wonder if they broke something or made ninja changes (raid-wide armor pen debuffs changing for example).

arimanius

Any tweaks to classes will likely be saved for the weekly patches, as with all MMOs this stuff never stops. There main focus right now is likely to get 1.2 polished up and done for release soon.

your probably right, but since this was a huge change to several classes and even some fundamental "under the hood" changes I was hoping they would take player feedback and testing under more of a consideration instead of relying on their internal metric.

At least communicate better on some of the more controversial changes and why they were needed.

also BRING BACK THE GIGGLE!!!! BW. >:mad:

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
your probably right, but since this was a huge change to several classes and even some fundamental "under the hood" changes I was hoping they would take player feedback and testing under more of a consideration instead of relying on their internal metric.

At least communicate better on some of the more controversial changes and why they were needed.

also BRING BACK THE GIGGLE!!!! BW. >:mad:

wat. This patch reeks of too much player feedback to be honest. You're never going to make a patch that is universally praised by players, and what is player feedback exactly? Is it that putrid mob that just makes the swtor forums reek of incompetence? Or is it the average player that contributes to these "internal metrics"--chat logs, warzone statistics, PvE statistics, class breakdowns. The latter for me, is much more representative of the playerbase than the negative nacy whinefest that is an MMO (and most game-specific) forum.

gatti-man

wat. This patch reeks of too much player feedback to be honest. You're never going to make a patch that is universally praised by players, and what is player feedback exactly? Is it that putrid mob that just makes the swtor forums reek of incompetence? Or is it the average player that contributes to these "internal metrics"--chat logs, warzone statistics, PvE statistics, class breakdowns. The latter for me, is much more representative of the playerbase than the negative nacy whinefest that is an MMO (and most game-specific) forum.

Nerf healers and mauraders :D

Oh wait I just rolled a sentinel......nerf healers!! !!

arimanius

When I say player feedback I don't mean the QQ on the class forums or pvp forums. There are threads that actually have well thought out information about certain changes and a few have actual date from the PTS.

And I agree you aren't going to please everyone. That's why I think they need to communicate better. I've been playing MMORPGS since UO and nobody likes their class to get nerfed or redesigned. Better communication won't solve all, but it will help people understand the changes better and perhaps see where the developers are coming from.

This is one of the few things I think Blizzard has done well with Wow.

They are like finding a needle in a haystack but they are there.

Francois424

Neo Member
Nerf healers and mauraders :D

Oh wait I just rolled a sentinel......nerf healers!! !!

Heh, My friend plays a Jedi Sentinel and he almost gave-up on the game last week-end.
He's at that point where you fight that really tough sith around level 32-34.
Well, he just coudn't get past no matter what, even with purple gear, stims, and latest heal kits.

I still think that JK are under-powered until those glorious 41+ levels ranges. The last thing they need is a Nerf.

That same friend then took a Sith Sorcerer (I finally dragged him to the Dark Side, Mwahaha) for a test run, and gone are the frustrations and throwing stuff on the floor... and new are the wicked smiles on his face.

He asked me about that... all I could reply is : you went from the worst to the best. Enjoy !

Draxal

Heh, My friend plays a Jedi Sentinel and he almost gave-up on the game last week-end.
Well, he just coudn't get past no matter what, even with purple gear, stims, and latest heal kits.

I still think that JK are under-powered until those glorious 41+ levels ranges. The last thing they need is a Nerf.

That same friend then took a Sith Sorcerer (I finally dragged him to the Dark Side, Mwahaha) for a test run, and gone are the frustrations and throwing stuff on the floor... and new are the wicked smiles on his face.

He asked me about that... all I could reply is : you went from the worst to the best. Enjoy !

Sentinel's are gear dependent and a high skill cap, but if you got both you destroy everything. The Jedi Knight's storyline is balanced stupidly as well early on, which causes issues, (you need a couple of ways to interrupt Angral's cast, and if you can't he one shots you).

Sorcerer's are ez mode, due to everything in their toolset being useful in pve leveling.

gatti-man

My comments will always be pvp centric. A geared maurader/sent will easily out dps everyone by 100k or more per match. I casually see 400-500k dps from them. Trust me they are monsters of dps when played correctly.

Francois424

Neo Member
My comments will always be pvp centric. A geared maurader/sent will easily out dps everyone by 100k or more per match. I casually see 400-500k dps from them. Trust me they are monsters of dps when played correctly.

Looking forward to playing one at any rate (will be the last class I play in SwTor)
Will try to remember the gear thing... It's easy to fall behind when things are too easy.

Any useful tips for a Guardian wanna-be ?

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

Yeah annihilation marauders are pretty strong right now, but most baddy mercs/operatives/healer sorcs don't realize that they can completely nullify a marauder's damage with one GCD: cleanse. Carnage is garbage on live and probably will still be garbage in 1.2 (we'll see). Rage is fun but really gimmicky and I think it will be nerfed before or after 1.2 goes live. So yeah (annihilation) marauders are strong right now, but they have a huge hard counter in the form of dispel that will grow in popularity when rateds come out.

@Francois, are you a wannabe guardian tank or wannabe guardian dps?

CzarTim

Yeah annihilation marauders are pretty strong right now, but most baddy mercs/operatives/healer sorcs don't realize that they can completely nullify a marauder's damage with one GCD: cleanse. Carnage is garbage on live and probably will still be garbage in 1.2 (we'll see). Rage is fun but really gimmicky and I think it will be nerfed before or after 1.2 goes live. So yeah (annihilation) marauders are strong right now, but they have a huge hard counter in the form of dispel that will grow in popularity when rateds come out.
I recently respected to make my cleanse more powerful, specifically for that reason. Works like a charm.

Wallach

I recently respected to make my cleanse more powerful, specifically for that reason. Works like a charm.

I haven't tested this on PTR but on live, the skill that buffs Scoundrel cleanse is really powerful since it heals once for each debuff it attempts to remove (even if there are none).

Top Bottom