• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

So I went back to my first server since the one my Operative is on my guild is pretty much dead and with another nerf I am just going to retire her. (I got her valor to 60 and was utterly disappointed, open 5 PVP box and not a single piece, I think I must open like 15 or so champ bags and only got 1 piece...)

Anyway on my first server (PVP server) the population was decent and I figure with free weekend we would get influx of new people but the server these pass week is pretty much dead. Even my son quit playing again because he said everyone in his guild never log on anymore. What is going on is people all went to play on test server? Or everyone just wait for 1.2 ?

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I haven't tested this on PTR but on live, the skill that buffs Scoundrel cleanse is really powerful since it heals once for each debuff it attempts to remove (even if there are none).

Yeah, at some point this game is going to hit the same stage as WoW PvP where dispels were just too damn powerful against DoT reliant specs. Need to give DoT specs some talent based DoT protection (either 25 or 50% chance to resist or slight damage on dispel), OR make nerf dispels so that they become a choice (i.e. dispel removes 1 DoT--this forces the healer to choose, multiple GCDs to dispel and forego healing or heal and eat through the DoT?). As of right now, it's not even a choice. You have a marauder or any DoT based spec on you, dispel is the answer 100% of the time--you're mitigating so much damage in 1 GCD that a marauder spends 4 GCDs setting up. And what a joke, dispels healing you? LOL, get that shit outta my SWTOR.

Giolon

I haven't tested this on PTR but on live, the skill that buffs Scoundrel cleanse is really powerful since it heals once for each debuff it attempts to remove (even if there are none).

Aside from the 1 heal per debuff (which I doubt it's doing, and if it is I doubt it's intentional) sounds like it's just the same as the talented Consular and Commando cleanses now.

So I went back to my first server since the one my Operative is on my guild is pretty much dead and with another nerf I am just going to retire her. (I got her valor to 60 and was utterly disappointed, open 5 PVP box and not a single piece, I think I must open like 15 or so champ bags and only got 1 piece...)

I just wanted to point out that Bioware intentionally lowered the chance of getting a Champ piece out of a bag a couple patches ago, but increased the number of Champ tokens per bag. It's so you have a normalized progression of working towards that next piece of gear vs some people getting extremely lucky and getting their Champ pieces very quickly and some unlucky folks taking a very long time. Now the vast majority of people should take about the same, and hey you have a small chance at getting a nice perk (free Champ piece) while you're at it.

It's a better system. Reducing RNG in progression is never a bad thing IMO.

I just wanted to point out that Bioware intentionally lowered the chance of getting a Champ piece out of a bag a couple patches ago, but increased the number of Champ tokens per bag. It's so you have a normalized progression of working towards that next piece of gear vs some people getting extremely lucky and getting their Champ pieces very quickly and some unlucky folks taking a very long time. Now the vast majority of people should take about the same, and hey you have a small chance at getting a nice perk (free Champ piece) while you're at it.

It's a better system. Reducing RNG in progression is never a bad thing IMO.

I know they reduced the chance on the champ bag but on the battlemaster chest box ... you now just get more champ commendation that I don't need anymore .. beside using commendation to buy Battlemaster token or getting one from the box are there other way? As is the reward doesn't worth the time grinding ...

Wallach

Yeah, at some point this game is going to hit the same stage as WoW PvP where dispels were just too damn powerful against DoT reliant specs. Need to give DoT specs some talent based DoT protection (either 25 or 50% chance to resist or slight damage on dispel), OR make nerf dispels so that they become a choice (i.e. dispel removes 1 DoT--this forces the healer to choose, multiple GCDs to dispel and forego healing or heal and eat through the DoT?). As of right now, it's not even a choice. You have a marauder or any DoT based spec on you, dispel is the answer 100% of the time--you're mitigating so much damage in 1 GCD that a marauder spends 4 GCDs setting up. And what a joke, dispels healing you? LOL, get that shit outta my SWTOR.

Cleanse in this game has a short cooldown, which is why it removes 2 debuffs per attempt. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a cleanse nerf, honestly. Outside of the heal being decently strong for the opportunity cost, cleanse itself is pretty weak shit in SWTOR, especially compared to other MMOs like WoW.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Cleanse in this game has a short cooldown, which is why it removes 2 debuffs per attempt. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a cleanse nerf, honestly. Outside of the heal being decently strong for the opportunity cost, cleanse itself is pretty weak shit in SWTOR, especially compared to other MMOs like WoW.

I wouldn't call it weak shit when it cripples the strongest dps class in the game in 1.5 seconds. Bleeds aren't spammable so you only need to use it every 5 seconds. They should remove the cd and force you to use multiple GCDs to remove multiple bleeds. Make it a choice, not a 100 percent ez hard counter to DoT specs.

Wallach

I wouldn't call it weak shit when it cripples the strongest dps class in the game in 1.5 seconds. Bleeds aren't spammable so you only need to use it every 5 seconds. They should remove the cd and force you to use multiple GCDs to remove multiple bleeds. Make it a choice, not a 100 percent ez hard counter to DoT specs.

It's pretty weak considering a significant portion of the actual nasty debuffs in PvP you can't cleanse at all. Given that you can only remove 2 debuffs per use and you have no control as to which debuffs you actually remove (not to mention you can't cleanse an entire subset of debuffs depending on which AC you are), I'm not really feeling the power. Especially when it comes to Annihilation, where it's not so much a choice as it is a necessity; if you don't (or can't) cleanse they'll fucking obliterate whatever they're targeting. Come 1.2 you won't even be able to cleanse the healing debuff, so Marauder trains just get more fun for everyone.

Given that Annihilation is considered the best PvP spec by a considerable margin right now and is by far the most common spec you run into, I'm guessing they're doing alright even in a world where healers can cleanse two debuffs every 4.5 seconds. If that's what being "crippled" means, I think there's a bunch of DPS ACs that would like to feel crippled right about now.

gatti-man

Yeah annihilation marauders are pretty strong right now, but most baddy mercs/operatives/healer sorcs don't realize that they can completely nullify a marauder's damage with one GCD: cleanse. Carnage is garbage on live and probably will still be garbage in 1.2 (we'll see). Rage is fun but really gimmicky and I think it will be nerfed before or after 1.2 goes live. So yeah (annihilation) marauders are strong right now, but they have a huge hard counter in the form of dispel that will grow in popularity when rateds come out.

@Francois, are you a wannabe guardian tank or wannabe guardian dps?

Its the interrupts. Its cake easy to interrupt me to death. Last night I fought a skilled sent and it was almost comical how bad I got shut down. In groups I can hide from them so its not so bad.

Anyway on my first server (PVP server) the population was decent and I figure with free weekend we would get influx of new people but the server these pass week is pretty much dead. Even my son quit playing again because he said everyone in his guild never log on anymore. What is going on is people all went to play on test server? Or everyone just wait for 1.2 ?

Bunch of the guildies in my guild got dragged away by Tera, D3, GW2, MoP betas, and ME3 recently. Lot of online players getting pulled in every direction with all these big beta tests going on around the same time. Most of them are taking breaks till 1.2 also outside of those who have characters and alts still getting geared in raids. Most wont touch things like crafting till 1.2 comes out, so they are on hold too.

markatisu

I think most people are waiting for 1.2 rather than do stuff now that might or might not benefit them after the update

its hard for me to tell since I got a good server by accident that has 60-80 during non-peak hours and 200+ during peak hours.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
It's pretty weak considering a significant portion of the actual nasty debuffs in PvP you can't cleanse at all. Given that you can only remove 2 debuffs per use and you have no control as to which debuffs you actually remove (not to mention you can't cleanse an entire subset of debuffs depending on which AC you are), I'm not really feeling the power. Especially when it comes to Annihilation, where it's not so much a choice as it is a necessity; if you don't (or can't) cleanse they'll fucking obliterate whatever they're targeting. Come 1.2 you won't even be able to cleanse the healing debuff, so Marauder trains just get more fun for everyone.

Given that Annihilation is considered the best PvP spec by a considerable margin right now and is by far the most common spec you run into, I'm guessing they're doing alright even in a world where healers can cleanse two debuffs every 4.5 seconds. If that's what being "crippled" means, I think there's a bunch of DPS ACs that would like to feel crippled right about now.

2 more classes are getting trauma and marauders only have 2 dots. You hit those 2 once every 9 seconds and a marauder will never kill you without help. Rateds will bring this out in live but most pugs are bads that don't cleanse. You definitely notice the guy that does cleanse you because you end up spending the whole warzone away from him. Anyhow, this is starting to turn into a swtor forum debate, we obviously have 2 very different opinions. I think cleanse is too powerful, you think it's too weak. I'll agree to disagree.

Kem0sabe

Currently wondering if i should do it again...

Screenshot.jpg

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

I can only speak for my guild but many of them log on much less frequently if at all although they haven't quit, they are waiting for 1.2.

Cystm

So I'm playing an Operative. For solo play is one tree better than the rest?

Not really. I leveled my OP to 3..5? as hybrid heals/dps. This was my build: Here.

Kaliyo was my companion of choice. Using her allows you to dump damage into a target and have her taunt/tank while you recoup energy and heal up (should you even need to, you will hit really hard with that build and still do good healing).

Really wish I could fix my sound issue with this game. Nothing destroys the cool star wars atmosphere in this game more then voices that don't work. Most voices work but droids, hutts, and a few random alien races produce no voices when the cutscenes play.

After looking it up it seems like my dedicated sound card is to blame. I would remove it but I love how it makes BF3 sound so it isn't going anywhere.

Anyone else have this issue?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Really wish I could fix my sound issue with this game. Nothing destroys the cool star wars atmosphere in this game more then voices that don't work. Most voices work but droids, hutts, and a few random alien races produce no voices when the cutscenes play.

After looking it up it seems like my dedicated sound card is to blame. I would remove it but I love how it makes BF3 sound so it isn't going anywhere.

Anyone else have this issue?

I don't have a dedicated sound card, so I don't have that issue, but I will say that I get a lot of sound glitches in the game. Everything from ambient sounds only playing in one speaker side, all the way to sound just disappearing for seconds at a time.

Of course, there are also times when characters will play their voice samples, but their lips don't move.

It's a shame too, because otherwise I find the game to be quite polished.

syoaran

So what ever happened to the EU gaf guild? Finally got time to play on the republic side and haven't seen a single Gaf'er log in!

Zafir

So what ever happened to the EU gaf guild? Finally got time to play on the republic side and haven't seen a single Gaf'er log in!
The server the guild was assigned to had 3+ hour queues during early access/launch, so everyone just moved onto different servers because none of us wanted to wait that long to play. It's probably one of the best populated European servers now, but I already have 2 50's on another server.

Moaradin

My guild stuck with their 8 hour queue server and now it's one if the healthiest servers. It's nice all the aussies went there because it's pretty much constantly populated.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
So I can't decide for 1.2 between switching to Synthweaving or Artifice from cybertech

what say you GAF?
Synthweaving if you must change. Both Cybertech and Synthweaving use Underworld Trading, so if you've leveled UT, you won't be starting completely from scratch.

You might want to consider making a bunch of armor plates for your synthweaving oranges before you switch over, just so you don't have to buy them later.

Or keep cybertech...So confused. Damn, lol.
If you and your companions use a lot of orange armors, I wouldn't switch out of cybertech, because otherwise armor plates and mods cost a lot. Droid parts are also expensive. However, if you don't, there's no reason to keep cybertech unless you want to make some money off of mods/plates.

syoaran

They got unlucky with their server assignment and disbanded due to long queues at launch.

Ahhh, yeah I had a toon on the imperial side and the long server times really put me off playing until it died down - but its now the only server I revist because of the healthy pug/pvp element going on right now. General chat is actually active, where as the others I feel that things are dead.

Laekon

Not really. I leveled my OP to 3..5? as hybrid heals/dps. This was my build: Here.

Kaliyo was my companion of choice. Using her allows you to dump damage into a target and have her taunt/tank while you recoup energy and heal up (should you even need to, you will hit really hard with that build and still do good healing).

Any other opinions on Operative specs?

Aquila

There's really only two specs for leveling an operative. You can either go full blown concealment for acid blade at 40 or go hybrid heal/dps. First, you should spec into concealment up to laceration and possibly waylay and revitalizers. At that point, you have to decide if you want more damage or actual survivability. Both kolto probe and surgical probe are extremely potent with their accompanying talents, but by the time you get them all, you'll be able to get acid blade.

I've leveled a scoundrel and an operative to 50 and 49 respectively with both specs and the grind is mostly tolerable either way. I'd say level as a hybrid though, you can heal flashpoints once you have some points in medical engineering for kolto probe and be useful in war zones.

Speaking of pvp, is it worth it to purchase a few champion gear bags at this point? Both my sco/op are at 1000 merc/wz commendations but aren't high enough in valor to buy a pvp mount. Should I buy a few champ bags and hope for a gear drop or just buy crafting bags once 1.2 drops?

Dunlop

I got my Rakata Main hand last night, which means every piece of gear I own is Rakata except implants which are the easiest to get...with dailies

I fucking hate dailies..I demand implants drop in raids :p

arimanius

General
Force Leap now places a "root" visual effect on the affected target.
Master Strike damage has been increased by approximately 15%.

Guardian
Forceclap has been removed.

Sith Warrior

General
Force Charge now places a "root" visual effect on the affected target.
Ravage damage has been increased by approximately 15%.
An issue that prevented Force Scream from affecting Weak and Standard enemies has been corrected.

Juggernaut
Crash has been removed.

OMG OMG OMG OMG. *faints from happeniess*

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
what's crash? was that the stun on force leap?

Yeah, and people hated it because it was a surefire way to get your opponent's resolve bar full faster than you wanted.

Francois424

Neo Member
Yeah, and people hated it because it was a surefire way to get your opponent's resolve bar full faster than you wanted.

Then it's a HUGE, HUGE nerf ! That gave my JK friend the edge he needed to survive some of the tougher fights (Assuming we are talking about the AoE stun after force leap lands)

Then it's a HUGE, HUGE nerf ! That gave my JK friend the edge he needed to survive some of the tougher fights (Assuming we are talking about the AoE stun after force leap lands)

? Crash was something new added in 1.2 and they are taking it out. They don't have a AoE stun after the leap lands

Francois424

Neo Member
? Crash was something new added in 1.2 and they are taking it out. They don't have a AoE stun after the leap lands

Another one then, Ok.

Because there's an AoE stun effect that was there since launch, which triggers after your force leap lands. Granted it dosen't last very long, but it's a major part of Crowd Control for the first 3 sec of the fight. It's a low-level ability but I've not touched JK beyond level 5 or so, as I am waiting for new races to make one.

[Edit]
... Or I was mistaken, and it's another ability that you have to activate...
... Yup, my mistake, I was apparently thinking of "Force Sweep".

Zafir

It used to be a talent before they made it an ability. Dunno if they're removing it completely, or putting it back as a talent though.

HBroward

And the new 1.2 patch notes for 3/30 went up:

Directive 7
Corrected an issue that could cause Interrogator to spawn more Cyborgs than intended.

They finally fixed that clone glitch. It's about damn time.

Crafting Skills
Craftable Custom (orange) Battlemaster and War Hero PvP armor has been added to Synthweaving and Armormech. The schematics for these items can be purchased from Battlemaster and War Hero vendors.

I guess that is better then having to RE them, after buying them a gazillion times each.

Alderaan Civil War
The speeder bikes that transported players to the East and West turrets have been removed.

This is a huge change, going to be much harder holding those now. This should create much more dynamic matches now.

UltraMav

Hmm trying to solo world PvP against some camping Bounty Hunter right now and keep getting my ass handed to me. Any tips for solo PvP as a healer sage at around level 38? I'm sure I just suck with him as it's one of many alts and don't play the class that often but still... it's been no contest this whole time. Maybe just switch over to DPS spec and give up on leveling as a healer?

Dunlop

Anyone have any tricks to speed level an alt?

My Sorc is 37 and it is just too painful

As it is I am 3 levels behind the recommended but that part is not a problem, madness spec is idiot proof

--Have not run a single FP, attempt about everytime I am on station
--Do my daily WZ, but the load times to queue from a planet are borderline crazy
--Currently on Hoth which is 10 minutes of travelling between quests

arg!

I had such high hopes of having another 50 by 1.2

Cystm

Official SWTOR Podcast.

Eric Musco said:
Hello everyone! My name is Eric Musco and I, along with Brooks Guthrie are happy to bring you a sneak peek of the official STAR WARS: The Old Republic podcast. You can listen to our pilot episode here by using the embedded player, or download and listen on your preferred MP3 player.

Our goal with this show is to give you, the community, insight into development of The Old Republic by hearing directly from the developers creating the game. In our pilot episode, Brooks and I sit down with combat team members Austin Peckenpaugh and Cameron Winston to talk about some of the changes coming in Game Update 1.2.

In the future, keep your eyes on StarWarsTheOldRepublic.com for our next episode, on our very own podcast page! Starting with our next episode, a full transcript will be available in English, French and German as well as an iTunes subscription (please ignore that mention at the end of this pilot episode!). If you have questions or comments about the show you can discuss our pilot episode in this Forum thread.

Thanks for listening and we hope you enjoy!

Just a preview, but there is some interesting info on class balancing.

Top Bottom