• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Sorian

Banned
Sorry, I guess I was wrong about this. Playing on the PTS now and you can only have 1 loadout for each ship. Sorry for the misinformation.

EDIT:

There are achievements listed for a new Rakghoul and Life Day events. The Rakghoul one sounds different than the first time.

Ah well, now I guess I can't be as mad.

To that edit though, there is the real news. Glad that we actually get a life day event this year and not just items thrown up on the cc market
we shall see if this plays out well

Edit: Since I have top of page anyway, how are impressions on the PTS? I don't play on the PTS myself because I like experiencing it myself once progression matters but I love hearing impressions from more sources.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Oh we're getting cartel stuff for Christmas too!

ZYfIsrm.jpg

Don't get your hopes up about the Life Day one, the achievements just mention opening boxes by throwing snowballs at them or some shit like that. I do want the title for getting 100 though - A Special Snowflake.

I was playing on PTS last night and it feels great, I've been very impressed with how much they have been improving it week to week. I was curious to see how I would stack up against new people since I had a few weeks of practice and it definitely helped, I was kicking ass a few matches since everyone was on equal footing.

ColonelT

Urg. Reached the Archon fight tonight on Makeb. I'm at a total loss for this one. Watched some Inquisitor strategy vids and I appear to be doing everything correctly but Archon's health just keeps regenerating when I get him down to 2/3rds. Super frustrating. I want to be done with this expansion!

EDIT: Beat it! The fight lasted an hour for three of us; didn't realize the difficulty would scale to the party size. No clue why or how his health finally stopped recharging. Very excited to never do that fight again.

Draxal

With them adding rep faction to it, it kinda sounds like the new rakghoul event might be a recurring one similar to the gree and such.

It makes so much sense to do so. Having the one off events during the initial release period was kinda dumb, when there was lacking end game content.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
The only thing you can't change is gender because of the problems it would cause with established companion relationships.

carterr

Neo Member
We technically do have Empire GAF but hardly any of us actually play our imp alts so you'd be lucky if anyone is actually on at any time. Republic GAF has 20+ active raiders and many more general players but as far as I know none of us really play imp side much.

Do you gain fast xp when your a subscriber now?

If so, i will need a guild invite soon =)

Compared to free players you earn more xp.

When the game went f2p they pretty much gave all subscribers a passive 10% increase to xp compared to what it was before. If in a guild of decent size, you can get another 10% xp gain.

So compared to how the game launched, subscribers now can earn an extra passive 20% xp for leveling.

The game now also awards players with xp boosters usually when you finish a segment of your class storyline, finishing a planetary chain, or doing the bonus series. So you get another 25% booster here and there given to you by playing. You can also pay with credits or cartel coins to unlock legacy xp buffs for your character that can earn you extra permanent 30% of xp for doing specific activites, but the legacy xp buffs are purchased per character and end up being expensive.

mainframe

Neo Member
Compared to free players you earn more xp.

When the game went f2p they pretty much gave all subscribers a passive 10% increase to xp compared to what it was before. If in a guild of decent size, you can get another 10% xp gain.

So compared to how the game launched, subscribers now can earn an extra passive 20% xp for leveling.

The game now also awards players with xp boosters usually when you finish a segment of your class storyline, finishing a planetary chain, or doing the bonus series. So you get another 25% booster here and there given to you by playing. You can also pay with credits or cartel coins to unlock legacy xp buffs for your character that can earn you extra permanent 30% of xp for doing specific activites, but the legacy xp buffs are purchased per character and end up being expensive.

Great!! Thank you for explanation.. I will be on this afternoon!

carterr

Neo Member
Just /who GAF and get a member to send you an invite, tell them Carter said it was cool and that you applied at torgaf.com

StudioTan

If anyone who doesn't have a sub was thinking of resubbing for Galactic Starfighter you should do it before Dec 2, you'll get an extra 30 days. Good deal.

sAIepjB.jpg

Infinity

Good morning Peeps, last night I asked a member to shoot me an invite. I told him who I was here, and of course I will register on torgaf.

My character's name is Cienna. See you in-game!

Darklord

Banned
Since launch how much extra story stuff has there been? Is there a reason to go back in for that or has it mostly been raids and pvp stuff?

Moff

Since launch how much extra story stuff has there been? Is there a reason to go back in for that or has it mostly been raids and pvp stuff?

short answer: zero

long answer: they added a new planet, but it contained only a faction story line, not a class story line. your class story was adresses with maybe 1 or 2 lines of dialogue.
so there was no new story added, and bioware have stated several stimes they do not intend to to so.
I still hope they change their mind, its also pretty much what the community wants most.

The individual class storylines essentially finished with chapter 3 of those characters, what they are doing now is just expanding on the world storylines. They added Makeb which has an Imperial and a Republic storyline, they have some unique dialogue that acknowledge your individual class story achievements, but it's basically general world fiction they plan on adding like this. Makeb was cool addition though as it's about 2-3 hours long per faction and seems to be moving the war storyline along to it's next segment of where they plan on going. Other additions like Oricon and previous group content or daily quest zones have had stories attached as well which relate to what is going on in the war.

To expand on each of the 8 classes individually would take a massive expansion to be worth anything. Exclusive content would have to be made for 8 different characters, along with general new content for everyone to share, and having to record dialogue and cutscenes for 16 different variations of those characters (male and female).

Each class in TOR has about 15-20 hours of exclusive content in it's story, and see how much that cost to make.... them making a full on expansion for each of the characters of any worthwhile length would require one epic expansion. It would be nice if they could continually add on to each of the 8 class stories, but it doesn't seem reasonable. As it seems bioware considers each character's story to have ended in the base game, with them now just expanding the world story that these characters are participating in. So they do keep expanding the story with almost every content update, but it's in general.

Darklord

Banned
short answer: zero

long answer: they added a new planet, but it contained only a faction story line, not a class story line. your class story was adresses with maybe 1 or 2 lines of dialogue.
so there was no new story added, and bioware have stated several stimes they do not intend to to so.
I still hope they change their mind, its also pretty much what the community wants most.

:(

I thought they always said it would be a continuing thing.

To them it is continuing since they still do unique dialogue in cutscenes for your character class storyline accomplishments. The timeline is slowly moving forward, but I would not expect them to do any major class storylines. They will be doing more small dlc like expansions that continue the story and include some exclusive content for your character class, but don't expect anything like full on exclusive storylines for each class anymore, it's all going to be written into the main world storyline for each faction. Instead we get republic and imperial storylines instead of having 10 different story threads being made.

For the game to have continued individual class storyline content for 8 different classes, the game likely needed to do huge numbers of subscribers and have large paid for expansions, as it's not content they can just toss into the game for free.

antonz

There is some progress with character arcs but yeah nothing that is massive. I mean for the Inquisitor story it starts to make it seem like you are close to becoming Emperor when the other Council member you ally with more or less pledges to be your Darth Vader for lack of a better description.

Highly doubt they will allow that route to continue but hopefully they do at least mini character line updates

StudioTan

One of the problems they had, and I agree with them for the most part, is that since people need to be able to level together easily, they kept having to come up with reasons for each class to visit the same locations even though they had different stories. This led to less focused stories than they would have liked. Going forward expect there to be 2 stories, one for each faction, where all the classes are participating in the same story but with their own flavour. They did this with Makeb but it was just different dialogue but I expect they will stretch the differences a bit in the future. The great thing is it leads to tighter storytelling. Makeb was very good with some nice set pieces.

Sorian

Banned
One of the problems they had, and I agree with them for the most part, is that since people need to be able to level together easily, they kept having to come up with reasons for each class to visit the same locations even though they had different stories. This led to less focused stories than they would have liked. Going forward expect there to be 2 stories, one for each faction, where all the classes are participating in the same story but with their own flavour. They did this with Makeb but it was just different dialogue but I expect they will stretch the differences a bit in the future. The great thing is it leads to tighter storytelling. Makeb was very good with some nice set pieces.

I still find this to be a BS excuse that sounded good. Who cares that everyone was going to the same planet at the same level range. Once you were planet side, the story was unique to that character and that character only. If being level 38 means that I have to be running through snow on Hoth then that is fine, I've done all 8 stories and I never felt that it was stupid that I had to go to the same planet at the same levels each time. The reason for going to the planet doesnt matter, once there the flavor of that specific character takes over anyway.

TL;DR: The devs are being lazy when it comes to story and I'm enjoying the fun raid content for now in hopes that they will wake up and realize what we want.

Moff

It didnt bother me at all that all classes visit the same planets at the same level range for their class stories. this is a level oriented game so who cares? this is literally a non-issue.

now I agree that the class stories should not be too high on their priority list. even in SWTOR, where the class stories are a central focus, they are not what keeps the game alive. endgame PVP and PVE is, like in any other MMO. so they got their priorities right.

still, I think sooner or later the class stories should be continued, just like they should add pazaak. they also need something to give players a reason to play swtor, make it special.

No matter the excuse, it will simply come down to money and resources. Without a big paid expansion, they can't provide any significant storyline continuations. It takes them a long time to just produce several hours of content, you expect them to be able to do that for 10 different storylines (8 class and 2 faction world stories)?

You wait months to get a single daily area that has less than an hour of story content, how are they going to provide unique story content for 8 unique classes? They had to charge for Makeb which was just 2-3 hours per faction gameplay, they would have to charge a whole lot to support any extension of all the 8 class storylines as well, and just doing one or two random new quests per character class is not going to tell a compelling storyline

It would cost a fortune to continue the class storylines in any significant way, and be realistic, this is a MMO, they have to keep players playing with content, adding 2-3 hours of storyline is not going to keep players paying for months. Being a MMO they have to support the game with events, pvp, endgame content, new features like galactic starfighter.

As nice as it would be that they continue the storylines, its not going to happen with an MMO environment. They will continue telling a world story and at best you might get some unique cutscenes and dialogue in relation to your class.

StudioTan

I still find this to be a BS excuse that sounded good. Who cares that everyone was going to the same planet at the same level range. Once you were planet side, the story was unique to that character and that character only. If being level 38 means that I have to be running through snow on Hoth then that is fine, I've done all 8 stories and I never felt that it was stupid that I had to go to the same planet at the same levels each time. The reason for going to the planet doesnt matter, once there the flavor of that specific character takes over anyway.

TL;DR: The devs are being lazy when it comes to story and I'm enjoying the fun raid content for now in hopes that they will wake up and realize what we want.

It's not that they go the same planet, they also go to the same cave, same outpost, same factory, same temple etc. So they end up padding the stories just so that each class visits all the same locations. It's more apparent when you level with others than when you solo all the stories.

Sorian

Banned
It's not that they go the same planet, they also go to the same cave, same outpost, same factory, same temple etc. So they end up padding the stories just so that each class visits all the same locations. It's more apparent when you level with others than when you solo all the stories.

This isn't the case though. Yes, you all head to the same outposts (this isn't really true either actually, if you only did the class story, you would miss a lot of outposts on planets) and then from those outposts the 4 classes for that faction end up going their seperate ways. There are some exceptions, like the rakgoul cave on....taris? (forgetting names already) but that makes perfect sense that the person/object you are looking for would be in the most dangerous part of the region you are in, it's trying to frame an RPG story.

At best what people can hope for is that they go deeper into making unique cutscenes and dialogue for each class. They sorta attempted this with Makeb but it was only some dialogue choices in the start and beginning, as well as how some npcs talked to you.

They don't have to go all out making new class storyline chains, as thats just not going to happen, but if they could get a little more in depth with the dialogue options, perhaps toss a bone here and there for a unique cutscene or two that kinda follow up whats going on with your characters class background.

In some cases, obviously the ending presented in the base game was pretty definite and doesn't really need following as they leave most of them open ended either way. Trooper, agent, and bounty hunter for example mostly leave things out there, and to do anything more with them would require them to start all new storylines.

Jedi Knight and Sith Warrior I think are the two that kinda need more closure but I suspect their stories are going to end up coming down to an eventual world storyline either way. I'm pretty sure that eventually they want to try and
have the emperor return in a new body and reveal himself to be an enemy to both sides making him a raid or flashpoint storyline "conclusion". Also opens the door for them to bring back Revan in some form and perhaps even Malgus.... since we seen how he kept coming back from death.

Moff

dialogue options in faction storylines is a pretty poor way to continue the class story. its not continuing the class story at all (although bioware advertised makeb a lot on that, which was a straight out lie and pretty much deveicing their own customers).

I think even a single planet with class story would not be enough. it would be too short and feel rushed.
I think biowares best way to handle this would be to to add another 2 or 3 expansions like makeb and then add new class stories to those 3 or 4 planets at a later stage., maybe even one at a time.
people will be bitching anyway but that would be a way to at least spread out the cost and effort over a longer period of time.

dialogue options in faction storylines is a pretty poor way to continue the class story. its not continuing the class story at all (although bioware advertised makeb a lot on that, which was a straight out lie and pretty much deveicing their own customers).

I think even a single planet with class story would not be enough. it would be too short and feel rushed.
I think biowares best way to handle this would be to to add another 2 or 3 expansions like makeb and then add new class stories to those 3 or 4 planets at a later stage., maybe even one at a time.
people will be bitching anyway but that would be a way to at least spread out the cost and effort over a longer period of time.

It's not continuing the class storylines, it's merely accepting what happened with what the character did and acknowledging it, since it would be a huge task to really continue any of the stories. And again, most of the stories ended in the base game, they essentially will be starting new stories for most of the characters which is going to take more than a handful of quests to satisfy anyone.

Stuff like Makeb and ongoing storylines like the Dread War stuff is what is most realistic.

If the game had did huge WoW like numbers, I could see them being able to pull off large paid expansions with extensive storyline expansions for each class, but with how things turned out, they are doing the best they can do probably with what resources they will have available.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So I haven't played too much since the Makeb expansion came out - still only lvl 52, going through the Makeb stuff now to try and finish it. I'm probably going to subscribe for one more 6 month span and then that's it. I have 12900 cartel credits, what should I get if I plan on not subscribing in the future?

StudioTan

So I haven't played too much since the Makeb expansion came out - still only lvl 52, going through the Makeb stuff now to try and finish it. I'm probably going to subscribe for one more 6 month span and then that's it. I have 12900 cartel credits, what should I get if I plan on not subscribing in the future?

I guess passes if you care to do Operations after going preferred. Then again you can get those on the GTN too for the cost of a night of doing dailies. Maybe the escrow tokens? I would basically try to get all the unlocks you'd need for stuff like artifact equipment and cosmetic things.

Alur

I don't know who is still around, but two other GAF Empire folks got up with me today and got me to log in. We were PVPing on pub side tonight in lowbies, guess we're gonna play some. We've all got characters on both sides on Jedi Covenant if anyone wants to PVP. No 55's yet, though. Been gone a while.

EDIT: Oh and PS...SPACE!

Heysoos

I don't know who is still around, but two other GAF Empire folks got up with me today and got me to log in. We were PVPing on pub side tonight in lowbies, guess we're gonna play some. We've all got characters on both sides on Jedi Covenant if anyone wants to PVP. No 55's yet, though. Been gone a while.

EDIT: Oh and PS...SPACE!

I'll be joining you in lowbies soon. :)

Sajjaja

I just started playing this game as a Jedi Knight and it's pretty fun so far. I'm trying to curb my temptation to go back to WoW after many years of being away from it and I'm finding this quite fun.

I'm level 5 on Jedi Covenant (which is the server GAF plays on right?)

Any tips?

Alur

I just started playing this game as a Jedi Knight and it's pretty fun so far. I'm trying to curb my temptation to go back to WoW after many years of being away from it and I'm finding this quite fun.

I'm level 5 on Jedi Covenant (which is the server GAF plays on right?)

Any tips?

Just enjoy it. Do a little bit of everything. Don't be afraid to get into PVP, it'll teach you how to play the quickest at lower levels, and is a good break up to the monotony of questing.

And yeah, GAF is on JC.

EDIT: By the way, why can't I find the Gunship? I don't see anywhere to buy it or unlock it. I see the extra ships on the cartel market, but no Gunship anywhere =/.

Top Bottom