• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Sothpaw

Haven't touched this game since 2 weeks after release. I really like space sims though so I might give this a look.

Have they added macro support?

Have they added mod support (for stuff like healbot)?

Are there dungeon and raid finders?

Alur

Haven't touched this game since 2 weeks after release. I really like space sims though so I might give this a look.

Have they added macro support?

Have they added mod support (for stuff like healbot)?

Are there dungeon and raid finders?

Nope. Nope. And yes and yes.

No real need for mods as is since they allowed you to work with the UI on your own and pretty much whatever you need is there. Other than Recount, nothing really you're gonna miss IMO.

Now that this space expansion hit today, the game is where it should have been when released IMO as far as features go. It's still great, greater even. It's just the catching up that you'll have to deal with, finding new friends in established groups, etc.

Moff

Just enjoy it. Do a little bit of everything. Don't be afraid to get into PVP, it'll teach you how to play the quickest at lower levels, and is a good break up to the monotony of questing.

And yeah, GAF is on JC.

EDIT: By the way, why can't I find the Gunship? I don't see anywhere to buy it or unlock it. I see the extra ships on the cartel market, but no Gunship anywhere =/.
the gunship is unlocked from start, should be right below the strike fighters and scouts in the ships section

Huh. They didn't remove the warzone restrictions for F2P accounts in this patch. Guess they're waiting for Starfighter to open up for them to do it.

Sothpaw

Nope. Nope. And yes and yes.

No real need for mods as is since they allowed you to work with the UI on your own and pretty much whatever you need is there. Other than Recount, nothing really you're gonna miss IMO.

Now that this space expansion hit today, the game is where it should have been when released IMO as far as features go. It's still great, greater even. It's just the catching up that you'll have to deal with, finding new friends in established groups, etc.

Cool, think I will re-sub when I get home. I have been gone for so long that I am a little lost. I had a 40ish Agent whom I plan to resume. So basically I should complete his story then what? There was a Hutt expansion a while ago right..is that another story my Agent can play through? Any other expansions I missed? I am mainly interested in doing single player story stuff and lots of flight stuff.

Giolon

Cool, think I will re-sub when I get home. I have been gone for so long that I am a little lost. I had a 40ish Agent whom I plan to resume. So basically I should complete his story then what? There was a Hutt expansion a while ago right..is that another story my Agent can play through? Any other expansions I missed? I am mainly interested in doing single player story stuff and lots of flight stuff.

The Hutt story continues past the end of where your class story will end and should take you up to about 55, the new max. It's the only significant new content released. Post Hutt, there are minor story continuations on CZ-198 and Oricon, but they devolve into daily areas pretty quickly. I personally think they're worth a go through at least once just to see where the story's going. There's new Flashpoints, old Flashpoints I'm sure you've never done though I have no idea how hard or easy it is to get groups for them these days or if you're even interested given you want to see story.

You will probably want to try Battle of Ilum and False Emperor since those sort of cap off the original vanilla SWTOR story-line for the most part.

Galactic Starfighter you can literally log into the game and start participating just by hitting the new "Hangar" button that looks like a ship attached to your minimap. It's available from Level 1 (assuming you're a Subscriber, everyone else has to wait until some time in January IIRC).

Sothpaw

Wow thanks for the very helpful post. Will be sure to run the new flashpoints and the new areas you mentioned.

Edit: Oh yea I remember talk of a server merger a while back. Any recommendations for an American who lives on the West Coast?

Starfighter is awesome, been playing for hours. Seems quite solid and more complex than I expected it to be. If they keep supporting it with new maps, game modes, and other ships, this could be awesome past time.

Also being available at lvl 1 makes it a great way to get credits and xp to level up while ignoring side quests on alts.

Wow thanks for the very helpful post. Will be sure to run the new flashpoints and the new areas you mentioned.

Edit: Oh yea I remember talk of a server merger a while back. Any recommendations for an American who lives on the West Coast?
The Harbinger if you want a PvE server. For PvP it's The Bastion.
Starfighter is awesome, been playing for hours. Seems quite solid and more complex than I expected it to be. If they keep supporting it with new maps, game modes, and other ships, this could be awesome past time.

Also being available at lvl 1 makes it a great way to get credits and xp to level up while ignoring side quests on alts.
Just having it available at level 1 is the most awesome thing about this. Is the XP rate pretty good for matches?

carterr

Neo Member
I just started playing this game as a Jedi Knight and it's pretty fun so far. I'm trying to curb my temptation to go back to WoW after many years of being away from it and I'm finding this quite fun.

I'm level 5 on Jedi Covenant (which is the server GAF plays on right?)

Any tips?

If you haven't already joined a guild, I would recommend it, the xp boosts, social aspects and advice are all worth it. If you want just /who GAF and whisper a member for an invite. Also, use xp boosts whenever able, it helps a lot in the long run while leveling and always log out in a safe zone to get rest xp.

Sajjaja

If you haven't already joined a guild, I would recommend it, the xp boosts, social aspects and advice are all worth it. If you want just /who GAF and whisper a member for an invite. Also, use xp boosts whenever able, it helps a lot in the long run while leveling and always log out in a safe zone to get rest xp.

I can't use /who as a F2P player below level 10. Who can I message? Or I'll just wait until level 10...

EDIT: Nope. Only preferred and sub's can do /who. Can anyone invite me to the guild on JC? I'm Jedi Knight Hadrial.

Giolon

Well that sucks. When does it unlock for the rest of us?

My notes from the SF Cantina Event say some time in January (and Bombers coming for all in February), and you'll have to unlock it (likely they meant purchase w/ Requisition like other ships, i.e. you won't be given one for free like the Subscribers on Nov 1)

Alur

My notes from the SF Cantina Event say some time in January (and Bombers coming for all in February), and you'll have to unlock it (likely they meant purchase w/ Requisition like other ships, i.e. you won't be given one for free like the Subscribers on Nov 1)

I see. I thought since I was getting in sub-wise in time for early access I'd have it all, didn't know I needed to be subbed even earlier for one of the ships.

Sajjaja

Is there any way to earn Cartel Coins in game? Like a Daily system à la LOTRO? Is it worth dishing out some money to get Preferred status?

Also, who can I message on the Republic to get a GAF Guild invite :eek:

Moff

Is there any way to earn Cartel Coins in game? Like a Daily system à la LOTRO? Is it worth dishing out some money to get Preferred status?

a few achievements reward you with very little cartel coincs. honestly its not even worth the mention, I'd say the answer is no.
if you want to earn unlocks from the cartel market you should do it with ingame credits.

how is that possible? well, all unlocks from the cartel market are consumable items that can be traded, so all you need to have is someone who is willing to buy them for cartel coins and then sell it to you for credits. usually the acution house is well stocked with these unlocks.

Funny to see folks bitching about gunships as OP. I love gunships..... they are so easy to kill >:) You get close to one with a strike or scout and they are usually screwed and can't do anything to loose anyone with decent skills.

Really like that these maps are full of terrain, even the space one. Best is when someone gets on your tail, you dash into some complex debris field or between various terrain features and they crash trying to follow you.

Well that sucks. When does it unlock for the rest of us?

Gunship should be purchasable with fleet acquisition points I believe, you just don't start with one. Players only start with a scout and strike fighter I believe, everything else has to be unlocked. Those long time subscribers just got extra rewards with all the fight suits, tittles, and gunship immediate unlock.

Also, who can I message on the Republic to get a GAF Guild invite :eek:

You can earn couple hundred cartel coins by doing achievements, but they usually take a lot of time investment doing different activities, so it's not really something you can do on a regular basis, it's just a little reward for doing high end achievements mostly.

Azih

Honestly for brand new f2p players. I'd really recommend dropping 5 bucks to become a preferred player and unlocking a few convenience things using the cartel coins. I wouldn't buy the digital upgrade pack.

Preferred >> F2P.

Edit: For the xp boosts, isn't it better to save those things for the higher levels and for double xp weekends? That's what I'm doing for my second toon.

F2P and Preferred players don't get rest xp btw.

I played around with the space PvP last night for a brief time and came away impressed. It is nice to have something completely different from the standard PvP fair and it is a nice break away from all the other content.

It is quite deep too, which came as a surprise. I was flipping through the different tabs and there is a lot going on. Multiple weapon types, engines, shield, armor, etc all with multiple levels of upgrades. Multiple crew members which each have different bonuses and there are a lot to unlock. Customization is nice, but I was hoping for a bit more but I suppose that can come in an update. Same with the ships, as there is a lot of potential for growth.

The combat itself is actually really nice. It feels good and it is fun once you get the hang of the controls and the way the ships move. Eventually you'll be dog-fighting with a few ships around a control point and it gets pretty hectic. It is a good source of income too for lower levels, given you can play it at level one, which is a great move on the part of Bioware.

I really like it. I'd just like to see the basics of the free flight open space area evolve into PvE at some point too.

Giolon

Gunship should be purchasable with fleet acquisition points I believe, you just don't start with one. Players only start with a scout and strike fighter I believe, everything else has to be unlocked. Those long time subscribers just got extra rewards with all the fight suits, tittles, and gunship immediate unlock.

That's not what I remember them telling us at the Cantina event, and what I said jives with the fine print on the GSF info page:

To qualify for the Early Gunship Role Unlock with Gunship "Daring" Paint Jobs, your account must be in active subscription status on November 1, 2013 at 11:59PM PDT / November 2, 2013 at 6:59AM GMT. These unlocks will be waiting for you in your in-game Hangar at the start of Subscriber Early Access on December 3, 2013. The Gunship Role is permanently unlocked in-game on January 14, 2014.

carterr

Neo Member
I can't use /who as a F2P player below level 10. Who can I message? Or I'll just wait until level 10...

EDIT: Nope. Only preferred and sub's can do /who. Can anyone invite me to the guild on JC? I'm Jedi Knight Hadrial.

I will be on tonight around 10:30 est and will send you an invite if you're on. I plan on playing most of tomorrow so feel free to whisper me on Carterr. Annalyse is an officer and should be on most of the day if you want to whisper him, but for sure tonight around 8 pm est the ops leader Cincinnatikid will be on for their ops run. You can whisper either for an invite.

That's not what I remember them telling us at the Cantina event, and what I said jives with the fine print on the GSF info page:

I thought they were just giving it to us early as unlocked, not literally going to be exclusive for early subscribers. That's a bummer for folks.

Alur

I thought they were just giving it to us early as unlocked, not literally going to be exclusive for early subscribers. That's a bummer for folks.

Indeed it is but I'm having fun playing scout. I end up with 1-3 kills and 10ish assists a game, which seems kind of like what it was made for, though probably much better #'s with someone who is better at keeping track of targets. Once they fly through me I have no clue how to follow them.

A great side effect of GSF is that if you have, like me and my friends, a 30+ character who you want to pvp with a lower than 30 character, this is a way you can play together. Pretty good stuff in that regard.

Sajjaja

What do you guys recommend getting for the 450 Cartel Coins you get from the $4.99 purchase as someone who is coming from a F2Per?

EDIT: How do you get EA to verify your email? I've been trying to via the site and it hasn't sent me a verification email yet (tried like 5 times already).
EDIT2: I've been sent a validation email finally, but now I get error, check your link blah blah blah. IM TRYING TO GIVE YOU MONEY EA.

Alur

What do you guys recommend getting for the 450 Cartel Coins you get from the $4.99 purchase as someone who is coming from a F2Per?

EDIT: How do you get EA to verify your email? I've been trying to via the site and it hasn't sent me a verification email yet (tried like 5 times already).
EDIT2: I've been sent a validation email finally, but now I get error, check your link blah blah blah. IM TRYING TO GIVE YOU MONEY EA.

No clue on the verification problems. And it used to be the initial cartel coin buy that provided the most bang for your buck was rocket boost, particularly if you aren't an inquisitor or consular. I've been gone a while so that may have changed, but I doubt it. Being able to run fast in areas you can't use a mount is pretty sweet. Just can't be used in PVP.

Sajjaja

No clue on the verification problems. And it used to be the initial cartel coin buy that provided the most bang for your buck was rocket boost, particularly if you aren't an inquisitor or consular. I've been gone a while so that may have changed, but I doubt it. Being able to run fast in areas you can't use a mount is pretty sweet. Just can't be used in PVP.

I was thinking something along the lines of that removes some of the restrictions that they have in place.

Also, I finally figured out how to validate my account. Had to switch to a gmail email, validate it there, then switched it back and validated that email. Pretty fucking stupid.

So the ships you can buy in the cartel market, I thought they were supposed to just be alternate skins of current ships. But in the hangar looking at their stats/loadouts, they are unique and not the same from what I can tell. Whats going on? Dulfy posted that they are reskins of specific ships but going back and forth in the hangar and comparing, they have different load out options and slight stat differences.

Moff

they are definitely not just reskins, there is not even an option to just reskin your ships. they are completely new ships.
dont know if their loadout options are any good though, I havent looked that closely.

they are definitely not just reskins, there is not even an option to just reskin your ships. they are completely new ships.
dont know if their loadout options are any good though, I havent looked that closely.

I'm surprised there isn't an uproar about this, as when it first came up there was some pissing about it then everyone was saying they are just alternate skinned ships being sold for cartel coins.

Ogimachi

I'm surprised there isn't an uproar about this, as when it first came up there was some pissing about it then everyone was saying they are just alternate skinned ships being sold for cartel coins.
They're not just skins, they save you a couple of thousand ship requistion with equipment and they earn requistion faster, but they're not better than the ones you buy with fleet requisition.

Moff

honestly its not that big a deal. different ships and different components are pretty much balanced. its the upgrading of components with ship requisition that makes you stronger, and cartel coins can in no way do that or even help with that.
anyway, I would be surely be happier if they left cartel coins completely cosmetic, but I can live with that.

Ogimachi

honestly its not that big a deal. different ships and different components are pretty much balanced. its the upgrading of components with ship requisition that makes you stronger, and cartel coins can in no way do that or even help with that.
anyway, I would be surely be happier if they left cartel coins completely cosmetic, but I can live with that.
Actually cartel coins do help a lot, since they're necessary to convert ship requistion into fleet requistion, which can be used to buy upgrades when you don't have enough ship requisition.

Alur

So the ships you can buy in the cartel market, I thought they were supposed to just be alternate skins of current ships. But in the hangar looking at their stats/loadouts, they are unique and not the same from what I can tell. Whats going on? Dulfy posted that they are reskins of specific ships but going back and forth in the hangar and comparing, they have different load out options and slight stat differences.

Those on the Cartel Market sure are ugly, though! That's the only reason I didn't buy one. I just bought the Flashfire with requisition points so I could ride a spaceship that looked like a jet. Not really the real reason, I actually just wanted that quad laser cannon.

Moff

Actually cartel coins do help a lot, since they're necessary to convert ship requistion into fleet requistion, which can be used to buy upgrades when you don't have enough ship requisition.
you still have to work just as long for the ship requisition though
the only thing cartel coins do is let you transfer ship requsition from one ship to another.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

Components cost the same ship reqs as they do fleet reqs and the conversion is 1:1. The only advantage is taking ship reqs from one ship and converting them to fleet reqs to buy components for another ship. It does speed up leveling up for one ship since doing your daily quests awards you ship reqs for all your ships however it leaves you with no reqs for upgrading those ships so it balances out.

Heysoos

*hides in the safety of community threads*

Christ. All this console wars bullshit is making gaming side unbearable. Anyways, one week left of finals and then to resub!

kmz

Neo Member

I thought they were the same as the second ship you can buy with fleet reqs for each type.

I thought they were the same as the second ship you can buy with fleet reqs for each type.

Nope, they have different stats from the other 2 ships and different load out options as well. I thought the same as you said and dulfy said same thing too, but they are not, they are unique ships that you can only buy with cartel coins.

I don't think anyone has theorycrafted the ships to determine that any is better than the other, since each ship seems to have it's ups and downs. Even the ships you buy with fleet acquisition aren't really better than the standard ones.

Giolon

Nope, they have different stats from the other 2 ships and different load out options as well. I thought the same as you said and dulfy said same thing too, but they are not, they are unique ships that you can only buy with cartel coins.

I don't think anyone has theorycrafted the ships to determine that any is better than the other, since each ship seems to have it's ups and downs. Even the ships you buy with fleet acquisition aren't really better than the standard ones.

The description of the cartel market ships say they are the same as other specific ship models. Are the stats really different or is it just that they come with a different set of equipment on them by default?

The devs also told us at the Cantina Event in SF that they would just be reskins and not be better than the other ships.

Sothpaw

*hides in the safety of community threads*

Christ. All this console wars bullshit is making gaming side unbearable. Anyways, one week left of finals and then to resub!

I wish there were a way to filter out any threads with the words console, xbox or ps4 in then.

Anyway resubbed for the first time since the first month of launch. Having a good time continuing my operative storyline and am surprised that there are still quite a few players in the different zones.

Can't help but wonder how a Steam release would help the game even more.

The description of the cartel market ships say they are the same as other specific ship models. Are the stats really different or is it just that they come with a different set of equipment on them by default?

The devs also told us at the Cantina Event in SF that they would just be reskins and not be better than the other ships.

Yea looking at them now and they seem to match, musta been looking at the modded stats based on my build when I compared. Only difference is the cartel ships get the 10% acquisition bonus.

Giolon

Yea looking at them now and they seem to match, musta been looking at the modded stats based on my build when I compared. Only difference is the cartel ships get the 10% acquisition bonus.

Only because they are considered "Mastered". Once you upgrade all the component categories of the other ships, they will also be considered mastered.

But I guess that is a benefit you can buy yourself w/ Cartel Coins. Not much different than XP boosts IMO.

Moff

Only because they are considered "Mastered". Once you upgrade all the component categories of the other ships, they will also be considered mastered.

what? the cartel ships are mastered? meaning all the components are fully upgraded?

Top Bottom