• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Dunlop

Haven't played this game in a LONG time but am looking for something to mess around with. I already had a max level bounty hunter and sith inquisitor so I will probably just create another account so I can level a new toon.

My absolutely biggest complaint with the game was the amount of loading you had to do to get anywhere.

Space Station -->Ship--?Planet Hub-->Planet

Has that been improved in any way?

I did love the story lines

Moff

I dont think the loading times have improved much, and the engine is still the games biggest problem in my opinon. but they have added some shortcuts between Space Station >Ship > Planet Hub ->Planet. you can reach the most important daily areas witthout entering your ships via a terminal on the space station, and you can reach directly from the planets and dont have to go via the planet hub anymore.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Haven't played this game in a LONG time but am looking for something to mess around with. I already had a max level bounty hunter and sith inquisitor so I will probably just create another account so I can level a new toon.

My absolutely biggest complaint with the game was the amount of loading you had to do to get anywhere.

Space Station -->Ship--?Planet Hub-->Planet

Has that been improved in any way?

I did love the story lines

It depends. There are a lot of shortcuts now, especially at end game where you can go directly from the fleet to any of the daily areas. You can also get priority transport to you ship from anywhere through legacy and you can get your fleet transport skill down to 0 cooldown. When you're leveling you still need to go ship > station > planet because they have quests in the stations but once on the planet you can now go directly to your ship.

So there can still be some travel but it's much better than it was early on.

Sorian

Banned
Hmm, so kind of surprised that starfighter is being labeled as 2.5 instead of 3.0. Not surprised in terms of content because I don't see starfighter as an actual expansion to the game but more surprised because I expect them to want to switch over the 2.X labeling to 3.X sometime before or around 2.7 like they did last time, meanign there may be another big thing in the works for the near future already.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Hmm, so kind of surprised that starfighter is being labeled as 2.5 instead of 3.0. Not surprised in terms of content because I don't see starfighter as an actual expansion to the game but more surprised because I expect them to want to switch over the 2.X labeling to 3.X sometime before or around 2.7 like they did last time, meanign there may be another big thing in the works for the near future already.

I believe they have multiple teams. Regular updates are one team (with sub teams obviously), Makeb was another team and the space expansion was done by a separate team as well. After Makeb was released that team when on to the next thing. By the time the space expansion releases for everyone it'll have been almost a year so, yeah, I would think they'll have something coming early to mid next year.

Sorian

Banned
I believe they have multiple teams. Regular updates are one team (with sub teams obviously), Makeb was another team and the space expansion was done by a separate team as well. After Makeb was released that team when on to the next thing. By the time the space expansion releases for everyone it'll have been almost a year so, yeah, I would think they'll have something coming early to mid next year.

This is correct, just fairly excited for the quick turnover on big updates. It'll be nice getting space and then something worth a new version number within the span of what I am expecting to be 2-4 months.

Gamble

That would be cool but for me I want to see more Mandalorian themed stuff like the neo-crusader armor from KOTOR II. That or something like this

xfakszb.jpg

Reminds me of.....
3147107bc83ecde54038b28c5f951489.jpg

antonz

Agreed. The original roadmap leaks pretty much went up to the death of the dread masters so we are going into uncharted territory in a way heh.

I'm not gonna front. I think all of that shit is awesome. I HOPE I can get some of the names back that I lost when the server's merged. And Double XP has me really happy cause I can level my alt character up to play with my wife.

Question, does the double xp stack with the 30% xp unlock you can get via legacy?

Double xp doubles all xp including any xp buffs you have. Only thing not doubled is rest xp bonus.

Afrocious

So I was on reddit and found GAF's guild site on r/swtor.

I dunno if it's too early for me to be looking for guilds, but I just returned to TOR after about a year. I have two 50s (haven't touched Makeb or any of the new stuff yet after Explosive Content HM) and I'm now leveling a Shadow Tank alt. I'd like a guild to be with, and it definitely seems you folks are active and willing to tackle content (with the nifty sidebar OPS progress item on the page).

I stopped playing TOR because my guild moved onto GW2. I'm stuck being an ops leader with no one to do any ops with. I'd like to join the GAF guild, but I'm afraid I'm too unfamiliar with the new stuff. I can't even do my sentinel rotations anymore. Going with a new toon was the best thing I could do.

What do you folks think?

Heysoos

So I was on reddit and found GAF's guild site on r/swtor.

I dunno if it's too early for me to be looking for guilds, but I just returned to TOR after about a year. I have two 50s (haven't touched Makeb or any of the new stuff yet after Explosive Content HM) and I'm now leveling a Shadow Tank alt. I'd like a guild to be with, and it definitely seems you folks are active and willing to tackle content (with the nifty sidebar OPS progress item on the page).

I stopped playing TOR because my guild moved onto GW2. I'm stuck being an ops leader with no one to do any ops with. I'd like to join the GAF guild, but I'm afraid I'm too unfamiliar with the new stuff. I can't even do my sentinel rotations anymore. Going with a new toon was the best thing I could do.

What do you folks think?

I'm sure they'd be more than happy to take you in. The guys in the GAF guild are cool dudes and have a good amount of experience running PVE, you can't go wrong. Plus they're all friendly and you'll get a nice boost of XP while leveling from being in the guild.

Moff

I dont understand the pvp gear in this game.
I got back into endgame a few weeks ago.
over that time I got a lot of pve and pvp gear, but I did pvp only in my current PVE gear. by now I have full 72/78 PVE gear, I did pvp only in this gear and did surprisingly well. you get enough expertise from bolser, but always a bit less the better your gear gets. thats ok.

now I finally have full expertise 65 and some obroans. and I am actually performing much much worse. I am really disappointed, especially since I spent tons of credits to fully augment my PVP gear. I didnt expect to faceroll anyone, but I definitely feel that PVP gear is worse than endgame PVE gear for pvp. I dont have many obroan pieces, but how will this be with full 78 PVE gear, the difference is huge. I doubt bolster can even this out.
what are your thoughts on this?

Heysoos

I dont understand the pvp gear in this game.
I got back into endgame a few weeks ago.
over that time I got a lot of pve and pvp gear, but I did pvp only in my current PVE gear. by now I have full 72/78 PVE gear, I did pvp only in this gear and did surprisingly well. you get enough expertise from bolser, but always a bit less the better your gear gets. thats ok.

now I finally have full expertise 65 and some obroans. and I am actually performing much much worse. I am really disappointed, especially since I spent tons of credits to fully augment my PVP gear. I didnt expect to faceroll anyone, but I definitely feel that PVP gear is worse than endgame PVE gear for pvp. I dont have many obroan pieces, but how will this be with full 78 PVE gear, the difference is huge. I doubt bolster can even this out.
what are your thoughts on this?

It SHOULD be better. I don't know if the recent introduction of new PVE gear did away with this, but your PVP gear should be better. You'll probably have less HP but of course this is offset with all the % bonuses Expertise gear gives you. Doesn't help that PVP gear tends to be pretty horribly optimized. I definitely noticed the difference between PVE and PVP gear when I played.

The differences in each gear set gets less and less noticeable because of the diminishing returns on the stats. And the bolster was supposed to make the difference between pve and pvp not so big. PVP gear is supposed to be better, but it's only going to be slight difference really.

Sorian

Banned
So I was looking through all the class changes planned for 2.5. Holy shit at them making inspiration/bloodthirst put a lockout debuff on the entire raid. Guess no one is going to be going out of their way to stack mara/sents anymore.

carterr

Neo Member
So I was looking through all the class changes planned for 2.5. Holy shit at them making inspiration/bloodthirst put a lockout debuff on the entire raid. Guess no one is going to be going out of their way to stack mara/sents anymore.

I'm more so happy with the individual changes to the classes like fixing shadow armoring and buffing merciless stacks for watchman sentinels. Should even the playing field a bit and go back to pre 2.0 versatility, especially from a tanking perspective.

Sorian

Banned
I'm more so happy with the individual changes to the classes like fixing shadow armoring and buffing merciless stacks for watchman sentinels. Should even the playing field a bit and go back to pre 2.0 versatility, especially from a tanking perspective.

True, there are other things in there that seem kind of "eh...." though like making madness sorc/sages DoTs uncleansable (and this is coming from a sorc who plays madness in PvP) and I really don't think shadows/assassins will be getting the boost they are hoping for but thats just me.

Be awesome if Galactic Starfighter puts in some classic tunes in the game, like Battle of Endor bits, the attack on the Death Star music. Bring back memories of playing X-Wing and Tie Fighter.

Pretty cool that we're only a little more than a month away from playing it.

carterr

Neo Member
For leveling a marauder should I be using the +41 power crystals or +41 critical crystals?

Thanks!

Pretty much for all DPS and heals the basic rule of thumb is power, then surge. Only a few classes like commando or scoundrel and sometimes sage can benefit from crit and alacrity, and even then the diminishing returns are low.

carterr

Neo Member
GAF has cleared both Dread Fortress and Dread Palace on HM, becoming the 7th and 4th guild on the server to do so respectively, congrats to all who helped us!

1529211.jpg

Heysoos

GAF has cleared both Dread Fortress and Dread Palace on HM, becoming the 6th and 4th guild on the server to do so respectively, congrats to all who helped us!

1529211.jpg

Good job guys! :D I'll probably be back for a little once this semester ends. I miss everyone. :(

kmz

Neo Member
Nice! We've been stuck at 4/5 on both for a while now. :( Haven't been able to get a whole lot of clean pulls in either, bleh.

StudioTan

2.4.2 Patch Notes

One of the first things in a while I'll buy with direct cartel coins because it's awesome:

A new item, Kick the Huttball, is available in the Cartel Market! This item modifies the "Throw the Huttball" ability, allowing players to kick the ball, thus breaking the number one rule in Huttball. Cost: 400 Cartel Coins.

StudioTan

So glad they're adding voice modulation to those helmets/masks.

Totally, I have a low level shadow that I made into a robot with the Series 512 cybernetic set and the Cassus Fett helmet which looks really cool together but the fact he has a normal voice ruins the effect. Hopefully he'll sound more robotic now!

StudioTan

So I didn't buy it but I did a huttball match today where someone used the new Kick The Huttball skill for passes and I really like how they did new dialogue for Baron Deathmark. He gets annoyed when you kick it instead of throwing it :p

Alur

2.4.2 Patch Notes

One of the first things in a while I'll buy with direct cartel coins because it's awesome:

A new item, Kick the Huttball, is available in the Cartel Market! This item modifies the "Throw the Huttball" ability, allowing players to kick the ball, thus breaking the number one rule in Huttball. Cost: 400 Cartel Coins.

So I didn't buy it but I did a huttball match today where someone used the new Kick The Huttball skill for passes and I really like how they did new dialogue for Baron Deathmark. He gets annoyed when you kick it instead of throwing it :p

I love this kind of flavor.

Stop it! Stahp! Don't you go pulling me back in!

StudioTan

This thread has been so dead lately!

Anyway, Dewback mount coming in the next pack on Tues, looks pretty sweet.

Top Bottom