• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Cystm

Get a room, you two.
ibaxwWYdWkl6sn.jpg

Yaska

Well the site and servers are down, so we should be expecting transfer infos soon I thinks. Another question is how badly they can manage the transfers.

My pessimistic guess is that they're trying to comb people with transfers to few almost empty servers and hope that communities will born this way. In reality everyone will stick with their refugee alts on Fatman and won't leave for empty server except for few :/.

My optimistic guess is that they've actually thought this through, and allow people from dead servers to transfer into fatman and other high population servers while raising the population gap on aforementioned servers.

Gotta keep thumbs up.

Moaradin

I think I'm gonna take a break from the game a little bit. I love it a lot but my server is starting to die and I want to spend more time playing other games. When I come back in a couple weeks I think I'm going to re-roll to a high pop server like Fatman.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Well the site and servers are down, so we should be expecting transfer infos soon I thinks. Another question is how badly they can manage the transfers.

My pessimistic guess is that they're trying to comb people with transfers to few almost empty servers and hope that communities will born this way. In reality everyone will stick with their refugee alts on Fatman and won't leave for empty server except for few :/.

My optimistic guess is that they've actually thought this through, and allow people from dead servers to transfer into fatman and other high population servers while raising the population gap on aforementioned servers.

Gotta keep thumbs up.

They will be going to high pop servers but not Fatman, I can practically guarantee that. It makes no sense, that server has no problem with population and you'd end up with queues while other servers still need people. Most likely they'll be funneling people to "normal" servers so that they end up heavy.

Yaska

question is if there even are "normal" servers anymore. In the end those who fled to Fatman are mostly gonna stay there, so the amount of people transferring to these other servers won't be much, so in the end it won't most likely fix the server problem. I do hope I am wrong with my view in regard of this matter, I really do.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
question is if there even are "normal" servers anymore. In the end those who fled to Fatman are mostly gonna stay there, so the amount of people transferring to these other servers won't be much, so in the end it won't most likely fix the server problem. I do hope I am wrong with my view in regard of this matter, I really do.

I haven't looked at the server list in a while to see what is listed as normal/light etc but my server, Sith Wyrm, is currently 21st in terms of population according to torstatus.net and we still get over 50 people on the fleet on the republic side some nights. Generally we have between 25-50 people (although it's been hovering on the lower end the past couple of weeks) whereas Imp side usually has about double that. It's not great but better than what I've seen from a lot of the lower pop servers. PVP still pops every few mins from around 4pm to midnight as it is so if transfers were able to double our population I'd consider that pretty healthy.

I suppose we'll find out tomorrow. I'm also expecting a small spike with 1.3.

CzarTim

1.2.7 Patch Notes
6/12/2012
General
When a player is required to rename multiple characters, it is now clear which character the rename prompt refers to.
Crew Skills
Gathering Skills
Corrected an issue that could prevent players from gathering from some resource nodes that appeared to be lootable.
Flashpoints and Operations
General
Addressed an issue that prevented some encounter effects (such as fire or other damaging area abilities) from displaying correctly for some players.
Missions and NPCs
Missions
Class Missions
Smuggler
Blood Feud: Players can now return to Port Nowhere even if they travelled to another area during the step "Speak to Darmas Pollaran." Players previously blocked on this mission need to reset the mission in order to complete it
PvP
Warzones
Novare Coast
In the French client, the correct voice notification now plays when the Eastern emplacement is secured.
Voidstar
In the event that an attacking player bypasses a door while it is not destroyed, the attacking player's team will no longer advance to the next respawn location.
Space Combat
Ships no longer have the potential to spawn in incorrect locations during Space Combat Missions.
Miscellaneous Bug Fixes
Players are now returned to the correct location when returning to a Flashpoint after participating in a Warzone.
The Customer Service ticket notification icon no longer blinks occasionally when no notification is available

http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes

Aren't they only going to start doing some transfers today, and not all servers? I thought thats what it sounded like. The way they talked about it sounded like it's going to be done in a rolling out fashion because of the rush they will have to transfer

Yaska

Was to be expected. Their communication is so poor that everyone knew a storm was gonna hit the forums. Shame tho, I was hoping I could finally play with other people.

Was to be expected. Their communication is so poor that everyone knew a storm was gonna hit the forums. Shame tho, I was hoping I could finally play with other people.

But they did state how it was going to be done. As it's being noted, they stated how they would roll out the transfers in such a manner in multiple places.

You really think they are going to have the entire game pop transfer at the exact same time? Spells disaster.

Yaska

True they did state that, but they have been working on character transfers for around 3 months now and they still started with just 10 servers, and there's no notion if the tool is even ready yet. While I understand that transferring hundreds of characters takes time, especially if they're still doing it by hand, it's still disappointing. This whole situation regarding server populations was their own doing from the start. Of course people are getting mad that they won't fix their own mistakes in time, or atleast have safeguards in place.

While I really hope I could side with them, their performance so far has been pretty bad. I just hope they will finally start to improve in regards of community management.

Edit: also to clarify that I expected roughly 20 servers worldwide to be eligible for first wave of transfers.

True they did state that, but they have been working on character transfers for around 3 months now and they still started with just 10 servers, and there's no notion if the tool is even ready yet. While I understand that transferring hundreds of characters takes time, especially if they're still doing it by hand, it's still disappointing. This whole situation regarding server populations was their own doing from the start. Of course people are getting mad that they won't fix their own mistakes in time, or atleast have safeguards in place.

While I really hope I could side with them, their performance so far has been pretty bad. I just hope they will finally start to improve in regards of community management.

Edit: also to clarify that I expected roughly 20 servers worldwide to be eligible for first wave of transfers.

Have to wait and see how quick they add and do more servers before people judge. They are likely being cautious since even with working on it for some time, no way to test the transfering of thousands of players to new servers at once without actually doing it. Other MMOs that have done similar transfers have done it the same way.

If these initial transfers go well hopefully, they will possibly expand the amount of servers they do at once, but they got over 200 servers to work with right now. Be interesting to see how quick they add more servers to the list.

The proper way to do it would be to open the transfers and see how full they can make a server, and if possible transfer more to destination server till it fills to capacity, then move on to another set of destinations and keep transfering till those fill up, and so on till you make a bunch of full servers. If they just open the flood gates and set destination servers ahead of time, your going to get random populations

Yaska

Have to wait and see how quick they add and do more servers before people judge. They are likely being cautious since even with working on it for some time, no way to test the transfering of thousands of players to new servers at once without actually doing it. Other MMOs that have done similar transfers have done it the same way.

If these initial transfers go well hopefully, they will possibly expand the amount of servers they do at once, but they got over 200 servers to work with right now. Be interesting to see how quick they add more servers to the list.

Yeah agree with you on the waiting part. I just hope I'm really negative again and proven wrong in my view. Just got so many bad experiences of MMO-devs using Valve Time (tm) definition of "soon".

Milly79

Nah you do it from your account settings. You have to manually select each one.

There's 40 people on the Pub fleet at 8 am. :3

I know they're doing this in waves or whatever, but you'd think they'd start with the servers in most need. I'm on Kinrath Spider and I haven't seen more than 5 people on the fleet at one time in the past month.

Heysoos

I know they're doing this in waves or whatever, but you'd think they'd start with the servers in most need. I'm on Kinrath Spider and I haven't seen more than 5 people on the fleet at one time in the past month.

I'm guessing it's going to be done all this week, so I wouldn't worry

HBroward

Sooooo... We were going to do nightmare pilgrim tonight, should we do that before transferring? I imagine JC will be a tad more crowded and have a bit of competition for it potentially.

EDIT: Remember to clear your mailbox and anything on the GTN, they won't transfer with you, as they are server specific.

One other quick question, they had said the higher legacy would get to keep a name, but the transfer faq doesn't mention this. Did it change? Are we screwed on our names?

HBroward

Ok, I ran back home real quick to transfer these guys and not be waiting all day to find out I lost all my names. I'll transfer every except Trevin.

Edit: Looks like I'm losing every name I had, I'm not sure I like the way they handled this. I wish it had gone by legacy.

HBroward

Damn, didn't even get to keep Nae'blis. I predict people will be up in arms over losing their names. I wish I could have kept at least one for crying out loud.

Kyari

Where are the destination servers hidden? I was mildly curious to see where people are going to end up, but couldn't find them on the transfer site, am I just not looking hard enough?

CzarTim

Where are the destination servers hidden? I was mildly curious to see where people are going to end up, but couldn't find them on the transfer site, am I just not looking hard enough?

Only some are announced. They're doing it in waves.

Yaska

Login to your account and in the my account section select Character transfer to see the current list.

HBroward

What about Trevin?

He hasn't gotten the transfer treatment yet, I thought you said to leave him for Pilgrim tonight. And for the record, Liebermeister was unscathed. The name I was least attached to. Nae'blis has become Nae'bliss, which makes me sad. I was so happy to snatch that name up day 1. And all my republic characters good Forsaken based names are gone. They are just really obscure references now. My character theme has been destroyed! I guess I really don't care if Trevin changes, I got it from a randomly generated list of names anyway.

StudioTan

Fatman's a destination server, never thought that would happen.

Yeah, I was completely wrong. I don't know why they'd do that, it was already a Very Heavy server.

Milly79

He hasn't gotten the transfer treatment yet, I thought you said to leave him for Pilgrim tonight. And for the record, Liebermeister was unscathed. The name I was least attached to. Nae'blis has become Nae'bliss, which makes me sad. I was so happy to snatch that name up day 1. I guess I really don't care if Trevin changes, I got it from a randomly generated list of names anyway.

Derp, I am fucking tired atm.

Top Bottom