• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Sorian

Banned
Eh it's not that unusual with MMOs to see people leave during lulls in content patches or when other big MMOs come out. Many come back later when new stuff is released. GW2 made some people leave for a while but they got bored with that and came back.

I'm not on the GAF server but my guild is still really busy and raiding throughout the week.

Oh yeah, I know, it's just a shame because SWTOR ends up with so many big lulls espcially if you only play one side of the game. A year ago, it was the PvP players yearning for content after being shafted for who knows how long and now it feels like PvE players haven't gotten anything at all since DF/DP launch and NiM is nice but that really only draws the hardcore crowd (which I'd love to be but no group)

I've just been noticing it more because I see big guilds on my server slowly disappearing as well.

UltraMav

Member
I'm having a lot of fun with GW2. GAF guild is really busy and friendly. We'll see if it has that holding power after I level up. So far it's way better than Wildstar, which kind of makes me regret my preorder.

Heysoos

Member
I'd hold the fort for your inevitable return Heysoos

I know you will! You know, it's funny. I honestly thought that the departure of "Ops 1" to their own guild because they didn't want to help Ops 2, would finally be the downfall of GAF. But in a funny twist, GAF only got stronger and finished content faster while Ops 1 guild fell apart. So if anyone can keep that train going, it's in the right hands.

Been playing for the last 2 months, got bored of it again though recently as the community isn't what it once was.

Might make the jump to FF14 on PS4 and call it a day, just feels like they never capitalised on all the profit they made from the cartel market to build up the game, it languishes for months with no new content and they can't really get away with it anymore with all the new mmo's and FF's revival.

Been playing for the last 2 months, got bored of it again though recently as the community isn't what it once was.

Might make the jump to FF14 on PS4 and call it a day, just feels like they never capitalised on all the profit they made from the cartel market to build up the game, it languishes for months with no new content and they can't really get away with it anymore with all the new mmo's and FF's revival.

Eh, they put out new stuff every 8 weeks which is better than a lot of other MMOs, including FF14. I ended up quitting FF14 due to their 3 month content update periods being way too long.

SWTOR is not that bad on content updates, far better than many. GW2 is only one that really pumps out stuff far more than anyone.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Eh, they put out new stuff every 8 weeks which is better than a lot of other MMOs, including FF14. I ended up quitting FF14 due to their 3 month content update periods being way too long.

SWTOR is not that bad on content updates, far better than many. GW2 is only one that really pumps out stuff far more than anyone.

GW2 does release a lot of content patches but, at least according to my girlfriend who played it to death, it was all very samey stuff. She ended up getting bored and stopped playing because she said they kinda just took the same ideas and redressed them a bit for each patch. Although their world changes were quite cool. I think their upcoming patch is the first one to add any new features.

I feel like the first 3 months we were still feeling the effects of the holidays and the patches were much lighter on content, it seems like they have big stuff planned for the rest of the year though. I've only been logging in occasionally myself because I was capped on PVP gear and comms. ESO is giving me a nice break right now.

carterr

Neo Member
The main setback is that by the time new operations come out in the Fall it would have been close to a year with the same operations. Coming out with NM's 6 months in hardly counts as new content to me. I think you will see a large PVE drop off in the coming months due to the fact that the only "new" raiding content is only accessible by 1% of players. As profitable as the game is these days, its embarrassing that there are such gaps in content.

Eh, they put out new stuff every 8 weeks which is better than a lot of other MMOs, including FF14. I ended up quitting FF14 due to their 3 month content update periods being way too long.

SWTOR is not that bad on content updates, far better than many. GW2 is only one that really pumps out stuff far more than anyone.

It's every 9 weeks now, not 8, still the updates feel too small at the moment, I don't play GSF so the new map means nothing to me, I dislike huttball a lot recently so the quesh map I'll be avoiding probably.

The new flash points have a bit of new story but I'll play them once probably tomorrow and then there is no real reason for me to go back to them.

Don't think my current ops team is good enough for nightmare DF, we still haven't beat Brontes on hard so again nothing great going on there.

Just time for a change I guess, go back to swtor when bigger updates are released

Sorian

Banned
Eh, they put out new stuff every 8 weeks which is better than a lot of other MMOs, including FF14. I ended up quitting FF14 due to their 3 month content update periods being way too long.

SWTOR is not that bad on content updates, far better than many. GW2 is only one that really pumps out stuff far more than anyone.

I'd agree with you except FF14 actually puts out content that most people will use. Each content update for SWTOR is usually low key and is only really good for one section of the player base.

It annoys me that so much of GW2's content is only event like temporary stuff. Yea most of it is small and just gear grinds, but it would be better if I wasn't forced to log in before a 2 week period. I've missed so much in GW2 because I don't play it religiously.

I'd agree with you except FF14 actually puts out content that most people will use. Each content update for SWTOR is usually low key and is only really good for one section of the player base.

Yea didn't find that at all with the first update, was extremely underwhelmed, it was mainly end game focused, so it was going to be a 6 month wait essentially for a content update I would actually care about.

Never seen a MMO actually provide satisfactory content updates for all player types, they all tend to fall into the same issue of it not being for everyone. After that first content update in FF14, I was pretty much done since I didn't want to wait another 3 months, and endgame was awful.

It's every 9 weeks now, not 8, still the updates feel too small at the moment, I don't play GSF so the new map means nothing to me, I dislike huttball a lot recently so the quesh map I'll be avoiding probably.

The new flash points have a bit of new story but I'll play them once probably tomorrow and then there is no real reason for me to go back to them.

Don't think my current ops team is good enough for nightmare DF, we still haven't beat Brontes on hard so again nothing great going on there.

Just time for a change I guess, go back to swtor when bigger updates are released

Find this to be normal with all MMOs. Like I care less about end game raiding content so for this game there was a period where I essentially said screw it and left for other games since it was nothing but high end raid content updates one after another.

Alur

Member
ESO is a lot of fun but it scratches a completely different itch than SWTOR does. It's great for now until we get more content for SWTOR.

Are you in the GAF guild in ESO, StudioTan? I rolled an Ebonheart character to join the guild and actually passed my (pitiful) level 10 main. I'm 13 now, not sure who you are with the weird account naming system in guildchat though.

I'd agree with you except FF14 actually puts out content that most people will use. Each content update for SWTOR is usually low key and is only really good for one section of the player base.

I agree with you here. This is the thing I feel that holds SWTOR back now that it's actually a fully fleshed out, great game. Somewhere in all the time since launch, the player base grew more and more splintered between PVP players and PVE players and now they basically appear to "ignore" a section of the players due to very few people still crossing over into both. It's a no win situation for them. I'm sure they wish they had managed to integrate the two better, or done like most MMOs and mostly ignored PVP and focused 90% on PVE and maintained that way. Would've sucked for a lot of us GAF folks, but might have helped them in the long run.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Are you in the GAF guild in ESO, StudioTan? I rolled an Ebonheart character to join the guild and actually passed my (pitiful) level 10 main. I'm 13 now, not sure who you are with the weird account naming system in guildchat though.

Yep! I'm still not even level 10 lol, I think I'm 8. I play with my gf and she likes to explore every building for books and crafting stuff so we're leveling really slow. I want to get to 10 just to check out the PVP which I heard was good.

The new story stuff is pretty neat, like to see where it goes. Hopefully they don't lock most of it away behind raids though like they did with much of the Dreadmaster storyline.

While tougher than Kuat, these are still incredibly easy FP's we were able to do it with a companion healer just fine with so so gear. Don't know why they are not pushing more hard mode content unless they are holding it all back for the next level cap increase?

Heysoos

Member
Jesus Christ. Played the new Huttball WZ around 4 times. In 3 of the 4 I was THE ONLY ONE with objective score. Did everyone suddenly forget that's still fucking huttball?

Alur

Member
Jesus Christ. Played the new Huttball WZ around 4 times. In 3 of the 4 I was THE ONLY ONE with objective score. Did everyone suddenly forget that's still fucking huttball?

Did that come out today/yesterday? I completely missed it. Gonna have to check it out. I've been so hooked into ESO I overlooked it.

Those name change deals on the CC market were great. I'd hate to see the free trolling they will have wrought, though.

Heysoos

Member
Did that come out today/yesterday? I completely missed it. Gonna have to check it out. I've been so hooked into ESO I overlooked it.

Those name change deals on the CC market were great. I'd hate to see the free trolling they will have wrought, though.

Yesterday. I really like the map, though it honestly favors Jugg/Guardian tanks a lot more than the original hutball

Heysoos

Member
Combat Sentinel is fucking awesome. Guildie suggested I used parsec to keep track of procs for Combat, mainly Opportune Attack for Blade Storm and Hand of Justice for Dispatch. It helped A TON not having to look at the status bar to see when they were up. I got 4 10k+ Dispatches and multiple around 8-9k, and a good amount of Blade Storms 8-9k+. This tool is godly.

Alur

Member
Yep! I'm still not even level 10 lol, I think I'm 8. I play with my gf and she likes to explore every building for books and crafting stuff so we're leveling really slow. I want to get to 10 just to check out the PVP which I heard was good.

I still haven't really checked it out. I hit 21 last night on my "main". I did go into it with my other char when he hit level 10 but couldn't figure out WTF was going on and it was 3 AM so I logged.

Yesterday. I really like the map, though it honestly favors Jugg/Guardian tanks a lot more than the original hutball

Combat Sentinel is fucking awesome. Guildie suggested I used parsec to keep track of procs for Combat, mainly Opportune Attack for Blade Storm and Hand of Justice for Dispatch. It helped A TON not having to look at the status bar to see when they were up. I got 4 10k+ Dispatches and multiple around 8-9k, and a good amount of Blade Storms 8-9k+. This tool is godly.

Favors them more than the original? LOL, that's a lot of favoring then. I've heard about parsec but had/have no clue what it is. I didn't think SWTOR had any kind of addon or tool that would help in that regard.

Also...and you said you were done!

Heysoos

Member
I still haven't really checked it out. I hit 21 last night on my "main". I did go into it with my other char when he hit level 10 but couldn't figure out WTF was going on and it was 3 AM so I logged.

Favors them more than the original? LOL, that's a lot of favoring then. I've heard about parsec but had/have no clue what it is. I didn't think SWTOR had any kind of addon or tool that would help in that regard.

Also...and you said you were done!

pvp is like crack to me :( still not renewing though.

and yeah it kind of does with all their leaps. This map is really vertically oriented, which suits all their leaps extremely extremely well. More than any other tank.

Is GAF guild still active and is this game worth playing without a constant sub? I was in GAF at launch and played a while but got bored and left a couple of months before it went F2P.

I had no idea there was a thread for SWTOR! Glad I found it.

Reached lvl 45 with my DS SW over the weekend, what level will I finish the story at roughly?

Cystm

Member
Is GAF guild still active and is this game worth playing without a constant sub? I was in GAF at launch and played a while but got bored and left a couple of months before it went F2P.

The guild is still active on the republic side. Yes, it is worth playing for free, at least initially until you get acclimated with all of the changes. Then decide if you want to pay for it, I would suggest.

Edit: You can apply here: http://torgaf.com/

I had no idea there was a thread for SWTOR! Glad I found it.

Reached lvl 45 with my DS SW over the weekend, what level will I finish the story at roughly?

No idea, as it depends on you.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I had no idea there was a thread for SWTOR! Glad I found it.

Reached lvl 45 with my DS SW over the weekend, what level will I finish the story at roughly?

The stories go to level 50 but it depends on you, if you just do the class quests you could finish it early or you could do planet quests and level more then finish the story at a higher level. I usually finish around level 49.

No idea, as it depends on you.

The stories go to level 50 but it depends on you, if you just do the class quests you could finish it early or you could do planet quests and level more then finish the story at a higher level. I usually finish around level 49.

Thanks, I was guessing around 50, but I'm a few levels over the recommended quest level at the moment due to double exp over the weekend.

carterr

Neo Member
It seems Manaan is going to be the next planet, here's a message Consular's have been getting in their in game mail

From: Tai Cordan
Subject: On the State of Balmorra
Barsen'thor,
I wish I could report that Balmorra is a haven; that the Empire has been sent packing and that the people are free to get back to living their lives. Sadly, I can't.
That said, there have been improvements, and some level of normalcy has been restored. Whole sectors are actually at peace, where factories have sputtered back to life as the efforts to rebuild continue.
It hasn't been easy. But every day I think of how hard you fought to help restore our government. I think about the stories I've heard of all you've done to help the people of Corellia and Makeb and on and on, and it pushes me to keep trudging forward, no matter how strong the headwinds.
We're landing on Manaan now to negotiate kolto rates. I'd ask you to wish me luck, but it took way more than that just to get a Selkath to talk to me! Be well, my friend.
Tai Cordan
President of Balmorra

Makes sense with the usb drive preview showing off the Selkath NPC info. Cool to return to a KOTOR game planet. The island structures of the planet would work well with the zone nature of TOR. Assume they will be doing underwater instances as well.

Sith Warrior story spoilers:

So my Dark Side Sith Warrior finally
got his revenge againest Baras! It was actually pretty satisfying

I actually enjoyed the story which wasn't something I was expecting from an MMO, hopefully my Sith Inquistor has an interesting story.

hpkomic

Neo Member
I am giving the game a couple of months subscription to see how I feel about it, and picked up a couple Cartel perks. Even joined a guild. So far the community seems... pretty meh. It's been pretty hard to wrangle people up for some of those heroic missions.

That being said, I do enjoy the conversations to an extent. It definitely bloats those Flashpoints and that can be a little bothersome with how long it takes for the rolls for the conversations.

So far I have a level 26 Vanguard and am enjoying the playstyle quite a bit. I have a Jedi Sentinel, but I find Jedi kind of boring and overdone. How difficult is gearing at 55?

I found it easier to find people for Heroic quests at the later stage of the game since the rewards seem a bit more worth it.

I did wait in the group finder for a long time the other night though on my Inquistor.

Its harder to find players to do heroics now since the games been out for a while. Typically the best way to do heroics, is to simply keep an eye on chat and join anyone lfg or linking to a heroic. Instead of sitting around waiting for group to form, just do your questing and join any groups that might be out there forming. Heroics are completely optional content, though they give decent reward for your time compared to normal quests. Just dont bother waiting to form a group, there always is random groups being advertised for heroics in planet chat.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Strongholds being delayed now: http://www.swtor.com/info/news/article/20140423

New features sound nice, but hopefully they have some meat then coming up to take it's place in the next update. Also then have to wonder what about this years big expansion since this now is going into Oct for final release.

That's a shame but the features do sound pretty cool. I don't think we really know anything yet about 2.8 do we?

Wonder how the galactic conquest events will turn out. Imagine something like individual planet based instances or something perhaps.

That's a shame but the features do sound pretty cool. I don't think we really know anything yet about 2.8 do we?

Was supposed to be the biggest update yet, but that was including the strongholds. Only thing I think we know is the next Nightmare Dread raid is being added so far.

Imagine since 3.0 should be around Oct, that might be around when we will see the next "expansion" with Manaan.... since its supposed to be this year?

Sothpaw

Member
So I went back to SWTOR in January after not playing since launch. Had a great time leveling my Agent from 34 to 55 and getting some decent gear from Oricron and HM flashpoints. I left in March but I would absolutely come back if they ever release another Makeb type expansion. Will probably come back this summer anyway and level a republic character.

Since then I have tried ESO and Wildstar. ESO is probably the second worst mmo I have ever played, just ahead of Asheron's Call 2. Wildstar...I don't know if it's the cutesy art style or the what but I just can't get into it.

Anyway just wanted to chime in that, from my perspective, SWTOR is much better than it was at launch and probably my favorite mmo atm. I just need another big world to explore. I wish they spent the dev time from GSF on more pve content.

Heysoos

Member
Cross server queues for everything would be great.

Screw server solidarity and community

In some server's there's hardly any type of PVP community, it seems like it's mostly a place for PVE players to farm for relics. I bet if Bioware made PVP relics useless in PVE, their numbers for PVP would drop like a rock.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Anyway just wanted to chime in that, from my perspective, SWTOR is much better than it was at launch

I don't think you could really find anyone to argue against that, it is essentially objectively correct. Still, "better than it was" doesn't necessarily mean terribly compelling. Diablo 3 was certainly better than it was at launch for a while now, but it took the expansion pack to actually make it a game that felt worth playing.

Whenever I feel the tug of SWTOR again, I quickly get deflated by the fact that I've just never had much fun at endgame and sadly I don't think that is likely to change. Also I still feel utterly useless in space combat, so that doesn't help.

So are the conquest events supposed to be PVE or PVP? I'm hoping they incorporate the guild flagships into a meaningful PVP system that isn't just instanced battles for nothing but comms.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Patch 2.8 goes up on PTS tomorrow. All characters have been wiped so you'll need to copy over your character again if you want to test.

They also posted a new video showing off the Nar Shaddaa sky palace housing. Looks really nice!

I hope something gets added to 2.8, because right now its nothing but class changes and the nightmare mode op.

The new ship role for GSF was also put on hold now which really sucks, as it sounded like something that the game needed to counter the annoyance of sniper wars that GSF has become.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I hope something gets added to 2.8, because right now its nothing but class changes and the nightmare mode op.

The new ship role for GSF was also put on hold now which really sucks, as it sounded like something that the game needed to counter the annoyance of sniper wars that GSF has become.

Yeah, my jaw dropped when I saw the patch notes because of how empty of content it was. However one of the devs said that that's not everything and we're getting a new producer's letter in the next couple of weeks explaining where they're going with 2.8.

Yeah, my jaw dropped when I saw the patch notes because of how empty of content it was. However one of the devs said that that's not everything and we're getting a new producer's letter in the next couple of weeks explaining where they're going with 2.8.

Not sure I expect much if testing on anything new is not going on anytime soon. Two major items being removed from the update. Last summer there was similar situation where the update was mainly just nightmare ops and the cartel cosmetic shit.

Fiktion

Banned
Hey, I played the shit out of this in beta and got burned out before release, but not before ordering a collector's edition which I incidentally never opened.

Now I'm finally getting the urge to give it another go and try some of the classes I missed out on last time, but obviously a lot has changed. I have some questions if anyone can help me out.

1. I don't mind subscribing, but if I cancel later do I lose anything permanently? I don't even know what the current benefits are.

2. Is the game all fucked up with microtransactions now? Is it pay to win?

3. Is it even worth opening my collector's edition at all? Do I still get perks? Anything nice?

Thanks.

Hey, I played the shit out of this in beta and got burned out before release, but not before ordering a collector's edition which I incidentally never opened.

Now I'm finally getting the urge to give it another go and try some of the classes I missed out on last time, but obviously a lot has changed. I have some questions if anyone can help me out.

1. I don't mind subscribing, but if I cancel later do I lose anything permanently? I don't even know what the current benefits are.

2. Is the game all fucked up with microtransactions now? Is it pay to win?

3. Is it even worth opening my collector's edition at all? Do I still get perks? Anything nice?

Thanks.

When your sub runs out or you cancel, you keep playing on a free account. Anything you unlocked while you were subbed you keep, but you are put on caps such as how many credits you an have, coms, etc.

Game does have lot of microtransactions, but it's mostly limits placed upon what you can do, not really pay to win.

You get some collectibles in game, access to the CE vendor in game which has some stuff you can buy that is unique to CE owners, again mostly cosmetic things. There was some bonuses during the transition to f2p for CE owners, but dont know if that still is honored.

Top Bottom