• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
But will you be able to switch between different housing specs? I want to be able to have a saved comfort spec and party spec to swap between without having to mess with my bars.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I feel like they are really doing this expansion right. First of all giving 2 features that people have been clamouring for, namely guild ships and legacy banks. Then also making the credit costs reasonable and lastly mixing up the furnishings between crafting, drops and cartel market. I feel like there will be something for everyone and it's more than a fluff feature and those that like packs can still give Bioware their money while other stuff can be earned through game content. Good job BW.

The only thing that's sucky is that you're limited to Coruscant, Dromund Kaas and Nar Shaddaa. I would loved to have had a house on Tattooine. I also want to know if you'll have free movement of your items within your house, having set places for stuff would dampen my enthusiasm somewhat.

Haven't played this since the free 30 days, how is it now?

A lot has been added and improved. Best place to look for an overview is here.

The game is quite good shape these days.

They better allow you to freely place stuff, but I fear they wont since they didn't show off that function anywhere. Makes me afraid that it's very restricted

Draxal

I feel like they are really doing this expansion right. First of all giving 2 features that people have been clamouring for, namely guild ships and legacy banks. Then also making the credit costs reasonable and lastly mixing up the furnishings between crafting, drops and cartel market. I feel like there will be something for everyone and it's more than a fluff feature and those that like packs can still give Bioware their money while other stuff can be earned through game content. Good job BW.

The only thing that's sucky is that you're limited to Coruscant, Dromund Kaas and Nar Shaddaa. I would loved to have had a house on Tattooine. I also want to know if you'll have free movement of your items within your house, having set places for stuff would dampen my enthusiasm somewhat.

I kinda like the fact that it's limited to the big cities, what I've heard about Galaxies and cities of abandoned houses in the deserts of Tatooine seems atmosphere damaging.

I expect alot of set pieces all behind the monetary gate, because properly monetarizing that sort of stuff is the main reason why the game's making money.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
They better allow you to freely place stuff, but I fear they wont since they didn't show off that function anywhere. Makes me afraid that it's very restricted

It's almost certainly going to be instanced, unless you are talking about furniture and stuff within your house. No idea about that.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
It's almost certainly going to be instanced, unless you are talking about furniture and stuff within your house. No idea about that.

Yeah, we mean objects within the house. Some MMOs have a system where you can only place items in certain slots, I want to able to place items anywhere. Sizing is a bonus but X-Y-Z movement and rotation are important. With that you can design some cool stuff.

Alur

Yeah, we mean objects within the house. Some MMOs have a system where you can only place items in certain slots, I want to able to place items anywhere. Sizing is a bonus but X-Y-Z movement and rotation are important. With that you can design some cool stuff.

I'd gear up for mild disappointment then, cause I'd say if you could do it they would've been all over showcasing it for the unwashed masses.

I will admit to being one of the folks here who wasn't keen on housing, but it's free and it looks like it'll at least be a neat little time sink so I can't complain much. I've only logged in once in the last two weeks, but I'm keeping my sub active in the meantime I reckon til the new PVP patch hits. Steady improvements, great little features, moar stuff. SWTOR is still my baby.

Flunkie

Banned
Is GAF guild still active, and can I get an invite if so? Otherwise I'll just stay in my own where only 4-5 people are on at any given time.

Heysoos

Is GAF guild still active, and can I get an invite if so? Otherwise I'll just stay in my own where only 4-5 people are on at any given time.

They're still active. Late night/early morning might be a little empty, but that just seems to be the case server wide lol.

carterr

Neo Member

There will be a lot of us on tonight, we are mostly active around raid times so you can just /who GAF and whisper a member for an invite, tell them I said it was cool.

Draxal

Darth Revan minifig posted in the lego thread.

/drools.

edit. Pic added

cd94SZF.jpg

Heysoos

That armor looks nice.

I wonder if we're ever getting some sort of upgrade on the graphics side of the game. I know it was very poorly optimized, but man I really hate seeing how bad a lot of the armors look. They look super low res most times.

Alur

That armor looks nice.

I wonder if we're ever getting some sort of upgrade on the graphics side of the game. I know it was very poorly optimized, but man I really hate seeing how bad a lot of the armors look. They look super low res most times.

Are you back playing again? I hadn't seen you since the night Titanfall dropped.

And yeah, that Temple Guardian armor is pretty damn sweet. That's some armor design I can get behind.

BTW: I just noticed the Bantha mount. I like it...but man if there aren't enough brown/grey/black mounts in this game. It looks good on the big screen, not so good in a video game.

Heysoos

Are you back playing again? I hadn't seen you since the night Titanfall dropped.

And yeah, that Temple Guardian armor is pretty damn sweet. That's some armor design I can get behind.

BTW: I just noticed the Bantha mount. I like it...but man if there aren't enough brown/grey/black mounts in this game. It looks good on the big screen, not so good in a video game.

I honestly haven't been playing anything. I'm still subbed though so I can play whenever. I've just been busy with school/work so I've just been watching TV when I get home. Hit me up whenever you see me on Steam.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
shameless hijacking and advertisement aka updated gaf eso impressions:

My god, some of these quests are pretty amazing. I am only Level 7 at the moment, taking my time exploring and picking up quests as I go, but I was involved in a quest that seemed to go on and on and it was a blast. Characters that I interacted with earlier in the game ended up re-appearing as the quest came to conclusion. Even early this game has some pretty fun quests and visually it is pretty damn impressive.

Overall, having a blast with the game and no where near the cluster fuck that was the Beta at all. I know some are having some quest issues, but for me, it has been pretty much smooth sailing.

Game is great, by far the smoothest launch I've been in, the only bug I've encountered is the horse dismounting at random times.

Buy the game and form your opinion, even the beta wasn't a good representation.

Now who wants some crow?

So glad to read some positive feedback today. I played one beta weekend and had a lot of fun and-though I could see where some of the hate came from-I thought a lot of the negativity was overblown.

must....resist...

Didn't play the beta, but played about 7 hours today.

I'm definitely enjoying it more than I thought I would. Combat is fun and a little more involved than typical MMO's, movement is more important. The game looks really nice too.

I went in pretty blind, had heard general rumblings of negativity, but I'm really having fun playing it.

Yep me too... loving this game so far. Best MMO in town imo - equal if not better than FFXIV.

now come join me you fools

ESO is legit very fun and definitely in my top 3 MMOs (and I've played most MMOs), can't say it's my favorite yet cause I haven't reached max level yet. (coming from a dude who has played most MMOs out there). Don't let the bad gaf rep from early alpha/beta cloud your view of the game, give it a fair look with some research of your own or streams. Though as always, the best way to judge a game is to actually play it, though in this case, $60 and a monthly sub is unfortunately quite the investment--a worthy one however :).

Would love to quest it up with some of the GAF Empire originals, we had some good times (though I think milly is the only one from there that still reads this thread?).

Quite a few hours over multiple beta weekends told me that ESO was not for me. The combat system in ES titles has always been awful, and this felt even worse, can't bring myself to play something like that for long.

Most of the folks posting their love for it are the same ones who were talking it up during the beta too, so I can't really take it seriously.

Gothos

So, I came back to SWTOR after loooooong time and damn, I think the game is much more beautiful than I remember. Everything on Tython was so vibrant and nice :) Anyway, just arrived at the fleet and of course I can't decide upon the advanced class, heh. Who do you guys think looks more badass in their higher level armor - Sentinel or Guardian? :p They oth suck comapred to Juggernaut but oh well, I can't make myself to play again as Empire...

So, I came back to SWTOR after loooooong time and damn, I think the game is much more beautiful than I remember. Everything on Tython was so vibrant and nice :) Anyway, just arrived at the fleet and of course I can't decide upon the advanced class, heh. Who do you guys think looks more badass in their higher level armor - Sentinel or Guardian? :p They oth suck comapred to Juggernaut but oh well, I can't make myself to play again as Empire...

With all the adaptive armour you can basically look like anything you want now.

They have done several improvements to visuals, enabling higher res textures, improved shadows, some lighting enhancements, and they recently tweaked the colors in the game overall to be more vibrant as well.

Gothos

Good changes. Wish they did something about the skill clutter. I'm level 11 and already my skill bar is completely full :/

UltraMav

So, after spending approximately an hour in groupfinder for a tactical flashpoint with no pop and logging into a 400 member guild with only me online for the upteenth time this week, I'm about ready to give up on The Bastion. How is GAF's server doing?

carterr

Neo Member
So, after spending approximately an hour in groupfinder for a tactical flashpoint with no pop and logging into a 400 member guild with only me online for the upteenth time this week, I'm about ready to give up on The Bastion. How is GAF's server doing?

We have about 400 characters in guild and have around 4 to 5 on at any given time. Most of us are active around 8 pm est with operations and raiding so those times we get anywhere from 12 to 20.

UltraMav

We have about 400 characters in guild and have around 4 to 5 on at any given time. Most of us are active around 8 pm est with operations and raiding so those times we get anywhere from 12 to 20.

I just decided to call it a day. Sub expires in 5 days so I'm just gonna let it lapse.

For some random reason GW2 is on sale for 25 bucks so I'm gonna check that out for awhile before Wildstar hits.

I'll probably be back to SWTOR after I get bored of those and when there is some new significant questing content released.

Alur

I just decided to call it a day. Sub expires in 5 days so I'm just gonna let it lapse.

For some random reason GW2 is on sale for 25 bucks so I'm gonna check that out for awhile before Wildstar hits.

I'll probably be back to SWTOR after I get bored of those and when there is some new significant questing content released.

I don't know your timezone, but Milly's final server Begeren Colony is a pretty sweet pub destination for PST folks. A lot less hostile than other servers.

Jedi Covenant (where GAF is) is just kind of meh for the pubs, really. You've got great PVE opportunities, but PVP is a bear for them now.

ESO is legit very fun and definitely in my top 3 MMOs...

Would love to quest it up with some of the GAF Empire originals, we had some good times (though I think milly is the only one from there that still reads this thread?).

I almost pulled the trigger on it when there were 3 days of early access left, but the game just looks so damn dreary. That's always been my problem with ES games though. I've legitimately never completed one because of the combat + the atmosphere. They are almost too realistic with all the gloom and drab villages. I might still check it out eventually, but you're right...$60 is a steep entry fee for something I'm already on the fence about.

And I am Kruul. We are indeed the only original forum imp GAF folks left once Trevin/HBroward hit FFXIV. We are kind of the rakata now. A near extinct race.

Heysoos

Yeah. I think my time is done for reals now. Going to let my sub lapse until cross server queues for PVP are implemented. Which they probably never will, so I'm guessing I'm done with this game. Running into the same premades over and over and over and over isn't fun. Much less so when you're constantly starting matches down 1-3 players right off the bat. 4 of the 7 matches I played today finished because we only had 5. It isn't fun. Stomping on people isn't fun either. There's no in between in this game anymore. You're either destroying or getting destroyed by the same premades. There's like zero fun in that. I really really like this game. There's just nothing left for me here. PVP is essentially dead on JC. Unless you play on prime time, and even then, it's EXTREMELY hit or miss. Still have 20 some days left, I should have cancelled earlier, but whatever.

Milly79

Yeah. I think my time is done for reals now. Going to let my sub lapse until cross server queues for PVP are implemented. Which they probably never will, so I'm guessing I'm done with this game. Running into the same premades over and over and over and over isn't fun. Much less so when you're constantly starting matches down 1-3 players right off the bat. 4 of the 7 matches I played today finished because we only had 5. It isn't fun. Stomping on people isn't fun either. There's no in between in this game anymore. You're either destroying or getting destroyed by the same premades. There's like zero fun in that. I really really like this game. There's just nothing left for me here. PVP is essentially dead on JC. Unless you play on prime time, and even then, it's EXTREMELY hit or miss. Still have 20 some days left, I should have cancelled earlier, but whatever.

giphy.gif

I gave my account away the other day.

UltraMav

If anyone here is picking up Wildstar when it releases please send me a message. I'd like to actually play with some gaffers and want to pick the right server at launch this time. :p

Alur

And here we were just talking about a server xfer. You sir are quite impulsive!

I gave my account away the other day.

As in, you gave it away permanently or you gave it away until such a time as you come back? All that shit you had on there would've been worth some money to someone. Some fool would've bought it for a couple hundred.

If anyone here is picking up Wildstar when it releases please send me a message. I'd like to actually play with some gaffers and want to pick the right server at launch this time. :p

I will be picking it up for sure...though I still haven't logged into the beta in ages.

And...I caved last night based on Priapus/Anbokr's recommendation and bought ESO.

I am genuinely surprised and impressed. The game is beautiful, quests are probably as close to SWTOR as you can get (all VA'd), and I actually enjoy the combat. I'm not sure what everyone was shitting on graphically, and the launch reviews seem to have 180'd compared to what my SWTOR pals had said about it in the beta. I personally thought the screenies were quite drab and depressing, but there is color to be found in the game.

I've made it to level 6 with two toons, leveling up all three sets of skills as I went...pretty fun stuff. There's a town I was in that started with a "D" that was pretty swell as well.

If you're looking for some MMO lovin', it's really not what folks have said. That 22 GB download ain't much fun, though.

Milly79

I gave it to someone I can trust to not do anything harmful. I removed my cc, so they can't go nuts with that stuff. I can also go back whenever I want and play. They won't do anything with it. Really didn't mind just doing it for some reason. I know I could've made money, but oh well.

Heysoos

And here we were just talking about a server xfer. You sir are quite impulsive!

As in, you gave it away permanently or you gave it away until such a time as you come back? All that shit you had on there would've been worth some money to someone. Some fool would've bought it for a couple hundred.

I will be picking it up for sure...though I still haven't logged into the beta in ages.

And...I caved last night based on Priapus/Anbokr's recommendation and bought ESO.

I am genuinely surprised and impressed. The game is beautiful, quests are probably as close to SWTOR as you can get (all VA'd), and I actually enjoy the combat. I'm not sure what everyone was shitting on graphically, and the launch reviews seem to have 180'd compared to what my SWTOR pals had said about it in the beta. I personally thought the screenies were quite drab and depressing, but there is color to be found in the game.

I've made it to level 6 with two toons, leveling up all three sets of skills as I went...pretty fun stuff. There's a town I was in that started with a "D" that was pretty swell as well.

If you're looking for some MMO lovin', it's really not what folks have said. That 22 GB download ain't much fun, though.

I'd still be down for using my free transfer, though to be honest I'm pretty pissed at Bioware. They don't seem to give a shit about the ever dwindling PVP population. I hear it's getting bad even in PVP servers. Which sucks because I fucking love this game's PVP.

Let me know how ESO is though.

Cystm

So, this is going on right now:

There will be hourly deals on the Cartel market this Friday (April 4), according to the SWTOR twitter account.I will be updating this page hourly to reflect the deals

Each deal is only available for the hour, once the hour is over, it is gone.

Treek and other cartel market items on sale 4/4! Get deep discounts on a different cartel item each hour – Today, April 4 – 9am-12am CDT (2pm-5am GMT!)

• [*]9 am CDT – Armored Woodland Varactyl – 480 CC (80% discount) – GONE – Pic
    [*]10 am CDT – Republic’s Red Engine Reactant/ Imperial’s Purple Engine Reactant – 36 CC (90% discount) – GONE Pic
    [*]11 am CDT – Dye Module kit – 40 CC – 80% discount – Pic
    [*]Deep Pink and White Dye Module – 600 CC (newly added, not hourly) – Pic
    [*]White and Deep Pink Dye Module – 600 CC (newly added, not hourly) – Pic
    [*]Noon CDT – Mercenary Contract: Treek – 420 CC – 80% discount
    [*]1 pm CDT – Valiant Jedi Armor Set – 144 CC – 90% discount – Pic
    [*]2 pm CDT – Ivory Mouse Horranth – 24 CC – 90% discount
    [*]3 pm CDT – 5 Pack: Major Experience Boost – 72 CC – 80% discount
    [*]4 pm CDT – Sienar PR-3 – 180 CC – 90% discount – Pic
    [*]5 pm CDT – Quick Travel (single use) – 9 CC – 90% discount
    [*]6 pm CDT – Carbonite Chamber – 96 CC – 80% discount
    [*]7 pm CDT – Eradicator’s Warsuit – 180 CC – 80% discount/ Eradicator’s Mask –96 CC – 80% discount (look under equipment)
    [*]8 pm CDT – Destroyer Armor Set – 120 CC – 90% discount
    [*]9 pm CDT – Character Rename – 100 CC (90% discount)
  • 10 pm CDT – Going Places Bundle – 430 CC (90% discount)
    Includes Rocket Boots I-III, Exploration Experience I-V, Legacy Travel I-III, 10 Quick Travel passes, 10 fleet passes and assorted priority transports.

Alur

I love that as someone who has CC laying around.

The part where they are still making a killing on the stuff, even at huge discounts, hurts my feels though.

Still sad I missed a few of the others, like the varactyl.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
ESO is great i'm tellin you all, now that we got a few more believers, hop aboard the train!

The beta is nothing like launch, everything is much better--don't let those old impressions get you down. Best MMO I've played in the last few years. Need to get trevin on dis shizz.

StudioTan

ESO is great i'm tellin you all, now that we got a few more believers, hop aboard the train!

The beta is nothing like launch, everything is much better--don't let those old impressions get you down. Best MMO I've played in the last few years. Need to get trevin on dis shizz.

ESO is a lot of fun but it scratches a completely different itch than SWTOR does. It's great for now until we get more content for SWTOR.

Sorian

Banned
Sad to see so many regulars dropping. I wasn't a part of GAF when SWTOR launched so I was never on any of the right servers but I've enjoyed my time with it. It might be getting close to my time to take an extended retirement as well. I've been with my raid group for over a year but I don't think I can continue with them anymore, out of the 10 DF/DP HM fights, we can only down 4 consistently and its rough not making any progress in months, especially with NiM springing up next week.

StudioTan

Sad to see so many regulars dropping. I wasn't a part of GAF when SWTOR launched so I was never on any of the right servers but I've enjoyed my time with it. It might be getting close to my time to take an extended retirement as well. I've been with my raid group for over a year but I don't think I can continue with them anymore, out of the 10 DF/DP HM fights, we can only down 4 consistently and its rough not making any progress in months, especially with NiM springing up next week.

Eh it's not that unusual with MMOs to see people leave during lulls in content patches or when other big MMOs come out. Many come back later when new stuff is released. GW2 made some people leave for a while but they got bored with that and came back.

I'm not on the GAF server but my guild is still really busy and raiding throughout the week.

Top Bottom