• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Anybody playing Wildstar this weekend?

Im in the ongoing beta. Was the MMO I was most hyped for but really the beta killed lot of my enthusiasm. I guess I expected something really different or ground breaking, but it's just more of the same. And the questing is extremely boring with the combat being neat at first, but turns repetitive. They need to make it essential that you use all your abilities in combat, but as the game is in it's current beta state, you essentially just run around the screen using the same 1 or 2 attacks with the occasional use of something else into the mix.

The more interesting features of the game come much later, but you spend so many hours doing extremely dry quest content to get to it. They created such a cool and unique setting, but then put it in one of the most dry gameplay environments.

UltraMav

The more interesting features of the game come much later, but you spend so many hours doing extremely dry quest content to get to it. They created such a cool and unique setting, but then put it in one of the most dry gameplay environments.

Was my impression as well. Hopefully I can grind out high enough to try out the first dungeon and adventure this weekend, to see how they stack up. What class are you, I was thinking of trying out warrior this time.

Milly79

I got a weekend key. Seems most of the PvPers are going to WS when it releases. Is that what it's mainly based around? I literally know nothing about it. :p

Alur

I got a weekend key. Seems most of the PvPers are going to WS when it releases. Is that what it's mainly based around? I literally know nothing about it. :p

It's pushing being the PVPer's game hard. It's a lot faster combat than SWTOR, more like WoW in that sense I guess you could say as far as the speed of it.

I don't know how you'd feel about the setting itself, Milly, but I think you'd probably enjoy the higher speed PVP.

EDIT: Also, I found FFXIV beautiful too. I loved every bit of it minus the endgame elitism. It is also a pain in the ass to level secondary classes that are DPS without FATEs being overloaded now, though, which is why I ended my second stint. If you are heals or tank it's not too bad.

PS: Did you pour one out for Legwand? I for one am excited for Jarnkrok, even if he never amounts to anything. #hope

Milly79

It's pushing being the PVPer's game hard. It's a lot faster combat than SWTOR, more like WoW in that sense I guess you could say as far as the speed of it.

I don't know how you'd feel about the setting itself, Milly, but I think you'd probably enjoy the higher speed PVP.

EDIT: Also, I found FFXIV beautiful too. I loved every bit of it minus the endgame elitism. It is also a pain in the ass to level secondary classes that are DPS without FATEs being overloaded now, though, which is why I ended my second stint. If you are heals or tank it's not too bad.

PS: Did you pour one out for Legwand? I for one am excited for Jarnkrok, even if he never amounts to anything. #hope

I'm worried it's gonna be too much like GW2. Guess I'll find out this weekend.

And no. He's an asshole. Overpaid for what he did. I know he didn't want to leave, so I'm thinking he comes back in the off season maybe.

Heysoos

huh well this is odd

my power went out in the middle of playing, but it came back instantly. However, now when I try to log in it won't let me even past the launcher and I can't load anything swtor related, like swtor.com or their forums.

Cystm

If it's not like SWG where you can make your own towns, it's garbage. If it's just an instance zone it might as well not be in the game.

Hopefully it's SWG and improved at that, but I doubt it.

It's going to be just like your starship, except you will be able to customize it, which of course I'm sure they were greatly influenced in doing this since it means they can put TONS of shit to sell on the cartel market for this thing. They didn't want to let players customize their ships since it interfered with the cutscenes/story stuff. But I don't expect anything other than a simple instanced house zone that will be like your ship, that a player would need to be in your group to enter. If this is their GSF sized expansion idea? Perhaps they might do something like have Guild housing for shared stuff. But the obvious motivation behind this is how much cartel market money they can make selling junk to put in your place.

Moff

pretty silly honestly, the ship should have been your customizable house, and I always tought they wont do housing exactly because the ship is supposed to be your home.
if they start addressing silly customer wishes, they should have done guild capital ships first

UltraMav

So I take it your companions will stay on the ship? Teaser showed T7 there too, though, so maybe not. Or maybe just active companion goes with you?

In the livestream it was referred to as SSHP (super secret housing project), so yea this is going to be the next small scale expansion thingie.

pretty silly honestly, the ship should have been your customizable house, and I always tought they wont do housing exactly because the ship is supposed to be your home.
if they start addressing silly customer wishes, they should have done guild capital ships first

Dual spec? Coming since 1.2

Housing? Nah you got your ships. "hey we can make obscene money selling shit on the cartel market by adding housing".... put it in!

Flunkie

Banned
Really enjoying this game so far. I'm at level 20 now and have bought a few Cartel upgrades on the market (boots, permanent upgradey stuff). I actually have never liked PvP before in any MMO (well, liked any MMO ever, for that matter) but I actually really enjoy it here. I still haven't gotten to play Huttball, though! I always get shitty team deathmatch or hold the point mode.

Anyways, great game.

Can't wait for SWG2... I swear general talks about it at least twice a day now.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Really enjoying this game so far. I'm at level 20 now and have bought a few Cartel upgrades on the market (boots, permanent upgradey stuff). I actually have never liked PvP before in any MMO (well, liked any MMO ever, for that matter) but I actually really enjoy it here. I still haven't gotten to play Huttball, though! I always get shitty team deathmatch or hold the point mode.

Anyways, great game.

Can't wait for SWG2... I swear general talks about it at least twice a day now.

Yeah, it's weird, same with me. I don't know what it is about the PVP in SWTOR that appeals to me whereas I never PVPed in any other MMO. In fact that's mostly what I do lol

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Yeah, it's weird, same with me. I don't know what it is about the PVP in SWTOR that appeals to me whereas I never PVPed in any other MMO. In fact that's mostly what I do lol

SW:TOR pvp is honestly as equal playing field (gear-wise) as you can get in an MMO with bolster, especially at lower levels. It's also fairly easy to pick up and play and be effective with a fairly low skill floor for each class--the devs really did a good job with these two things--both help rope in non-traditional pvp'ers.

In other MMO's like WoW you have to endure endless hours of getting shit on to grind gear that isn't even that great, then you have to step into arenas and get shit on again by people with much better gear. Not to mention arenas put a magnifying glass on skill, it really does take great coordination, timing, and just plain game sense (and gear) to climb to the top. Not to mention that stuff like WoW has been adding abilities on abilities, expac after expac, so in order to be effective there you're basically required to download a few mods and keybind at least 30-35 keys.

You can easily see how one is much more appealing than the other.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Why do I need a house when I fly my house? Why not let us customize the spaceship?

Why do I need a house when I fly my house? Why not let us customize the spaceship?
I remember hearing something a while back that they couldn't edit the spaceships or else things would break. I forgot who said it but it was in response to somebody asking about decorating the ships.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
WTF? personal starships are cooler than houses any day. What a weird choice.

Alur

SW:TOR pvp is honestly as equal playing field (gear-wise) as you can get in an MMO with bolster, especially at lower levels. It's also fairly easy to pick up and play and be effective with a fairly low skill floor for each class--the devs really did a good job with these two things--both help rope in non-traditional pvp'ers.

In other MMO's like WoW you have to endure endless hours of getting shit on to grind gear that isn't even that great, then you have to step into arenas and get shit on again by people with much better gear. Not to mention arenas put a magnifying glass on skill, it really does take great coordination, timing, and just plain game sense (and gear) to climb to the top. Not to mention that stuff like WoW has been adding abilities on abilities, expac after expac, so in order to be effective there you're basically required to download a few mods and keybind at least 30-35 keys.

Yeah, I am the same as you, StudioTan, on MMO PVP. I did some arenas in WoW, but nothing too serious. Anbokr has the reasoning nailed down.

I will add that SWTOR PVP also feels slower paced than other MMOs. It all just seems more deliberate and I feel like you have more breathing room to do whatever it is your class was designed to do. WoW PVP could result in (basically) insta-death versus certain classes, or two class combos. Unless you're sorely undergeared (or very terrible), you don't get see insta-death to one player or even two.

Swtor pvp is good, it feels structured and seems built around the class roles. They did inherit the good scenario design from its WAR roots.

Flunkie

Banned

Yep, that's exactly how I've felt in all the other MMOs. I'm usually just overwhelmed. That being the bigger part, and partly I don't care enough about the universe to spend forever and ever grinding. The Star Wars universe helped to keep me engaged and made the learning the systems that I'm not used to in MMOs worthwhile. The PVP design actually allowed me to feel like I'm succeeding even while being underlevelled is refreshing. It's a genre that I've associated with nothing but frustration, having to juggle a gazillion keys, and no "direct" control over my player (I have always preferred action RPGs over click and key-based stuff) - that is now opened up to me.

The subscription model, however much it gets shit on, is another reason why it was accessible to me. The F2P, although gimped, allowed me to get hooked to the point now where I'm considering buying my first time card for a MMO ever.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Yeah, I am the same as you, StudioTan, on MMO PVP. I did some arenas in WoW, but nothing too serious. Anbokr has the reasoning nailed down.

I will add that SWTOR PVP also feels slower paced than other MMOs. It all just seems more deliberate and I feel like you have more breathing room to do whatever it is your class was designed to do. WoW PVP could result in (basically) insta-death versus certain classes, or two class combos. Unless you're sorely undergeared (or very terrible), you don't get see insta-death to one player or even two.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I feel like there is time for tactics and intelligent skill utilization during a fight and most importantly I like the overall strategy of the WZs themselves. That's why I love huttball and really dislike ancient hypergates. Sure there are times when you just get stun locked and die in 3 seconds but for the most part I feel like I'm always in control of my own destiny in a fight. I will say though that I might have felt differently if my first class wasn't a gunslinger. I tried to PVP on my Guardian and had no fucking clue what I was doing or how to control the situation whereas making the jump from PVE slinger to PVP isn't as great a leap.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
The subscription model, however much it gets shit on, is another reason why it was accessible to me. The F2P, although gimped, allowed me to get hooked to the point now where I'm considering buying my first time card for a MMO ever.

Yeah man, I really prefer the subscription model for most MMOs. You know everyone is on a potentially equal playing field in all respects (aside from things like RNG and in-game achievements), and not every new feature or content is cannibalized and cut up into a thousand pieces for maximum $$$ drain.

I want to pay $15 a month, I want access to everything, and I want a constant stream of content, plain and simple.

Alur

I think you hit the nail on the head. I feel like there is time for tactics and intelligent skill utilization during a fight and most importantly I like the overall strategy of the WZs themselves. That's why I love huttball and really dislike ancient hypergates. Sure there are times when you just get stun locked and die in 3 seconds but for the most part I feel like I'm always in control of my own destiny in a fight. I will say though that I might have felt differently if my first class wasn't a gunslinger. I tried to PVP on my Guardian and had no fucking clue what I was doing or how to control the situation whereas making the jump from PVE slinger to PVP isn't as great a leap.

I'll never understand folks who are against huttball. It's the neatest PVP style game I've ever seen. Maybe it existed in another game before, but whether it was their idea or not, it was the game that truly hooked me. It's the one game where you can have a team full of terrible dpsers and undergeared folks and still win with teamwork, and is the best benchmark for measuring teamwork (when the teams aren't stacked with leaps and pulls).

As Flunkie said, even as a terrible player you can contribute to a team by playing the actual objective in SWTOR. You might spend all game guarding a node and rarely fighting anyone, but you can be useful in SWTOR PVP regardless of skill level if you have an interest in being useful.

I am not a fan of deathmatch PVP. I'd rather play an FPS for that...that said, I don't like FPS games much either. The arenas in SWTOR were a neat concept, but the matchmaking is so lopsided most games (due to getting multiple heals on one team and none on another, for example) it's a foregone conclusion before it even starts.

If I could play SWTOR PVP right now with all the awesome players we lost over the past few years from GAF Empire, PD, Starsider, VM, etc, and the other ones we played against in those times plus the folks playing now, I'd still play like nobody's business. Unfortunately, with MMOs it is very hard to keep people playing for long periods of time with no real incentive. It works with FPS games to a degree cause you can get in and get out quick, but not so much an MMO.

When you go from playing folks you know and respect (albeit begrudingly) to folks who just group up to crush pugs and "LOL" and "try harder" each other, it's not quite as fun as it used to be. I still feel it's the best designed and balanced MMO PVP, though.

I never felt like I had time to breathe in 8v8 ranked and for the most part arenas...

Even at it's worst in ranked it feels like more time than you would ever encounter in WoW arena - even at relatively low rating levels, for example. SWTOR arenas are a different story, I'll give you, as they are just deathmatches. Sometimes you do get insta-gibbed there just because you run up against a perfect counter to your team.

And what are you talking about no time to breathe playing a sniper/gunslinger in ranked. As a former ranked healer, I resent that comment :p.

StudioTan

I never felt like I had time to breathe in 8v8 ranked and for the most part arenas...

Yeah sure in ranked but I'm talking about in general PVP where you're not always facing the best players. Plus as Alur said when I started I still felt I was able to contribute to my team because I was able to help with objectives. I didn't have to put up the highest DPS numbers but I knew to watch for caps and interrupt or to look to pass the huttball so I still felt useful and wasn't discouraged.

clone wars season 6 got me in a SW vibe. kinda interested to hop on and see whats different since i quit 3 months after reaching cap at launch.

The free 2 play model seems a bit iffy on free.... is the exp really that bad? I kinda wanna make a sith warrior, i don't mind subbing for a bit.

Really curious how this game runs, upgraded much of my pc since i played SWTOR. The game ran like complete ass at launch :X

Speaking of which, how is end game stuff a few years in? I remember being bored as fuck with illum.

I recall... they did raise the cap and have new solo stuff right? Are there any more class stories or is that pretty much done?

clone wars season 6 got me in a SW vibe. kinda interested to hop on and see whats different since i quit 3 months after reaching cap at launch.

The free 2 play model seems a bit iffy on free.... is the exp really that bad? I kinda wanna make a sith warrior, i don't mind subbing for a bit.

Really curious how this game runs, upgraded much of my pc since i played SWTOR. The game ran like complete ass at launch :X

Speaking of which, how is end game stuff a few years in? I remember being bored as fuck with illum.

I recall... they did raise the cap and have new solo stuff right? Are there any more class stories or is that pretty much done?

F2P players do not get rested xp bonus, and earn 25% less general xp.

The game has gotten several optimization and graphical improvement updates. Game looks and runs much better than it did in it's launch window.

Endgame currency you can earn from a variety of activities, typical MMO stuff of dungeons, raids, daily areas, daily/weekly quests, and so on. They have added 5 raids and several flashpoints to the game since launch, as well as 5 different daily hub questing zones. There was a few added quest chains as well added like the HK-51 quest, seeker droid quest, and the shroud stuff. Recurring events like Bounty hunting week, Gree, etc are now in common rotation and give endgame tokens as well when around.

Reputation levels and rewards have been added all over the game as well now too for another activity for those grinders of specific content.

Individual class stories pretty much end in the original lvl 50 range, they continue to add story lines or expand on the galaxy war storyline through content but it's general Republic/Empire storylines and not personal. The planet Makeb added new story line for both Pub and Empire, each being about 2-4 hours to complete on each side and each is unique. Storylines have been running through content such as the Dreadmaster stuff that has been ongoing since the games 3rd Raid and has bits placed throughout content such as the daily planet Oricon. But there is quite a bit of new solo content that's been added, but alot also is group content.

Lot of features and tweaks been made to the game, tons of customization options for characters especially. Galactic Starfighter was added which adds a whole another game within the game essentially.

StudioTan

Since 3 months after launch? Yeah, a lot has changed and been added. Ilum is outdated content as the level cap is 55 now. The biggest change are Makeb which is a 50-55 planet and Galactic Starfighter which is the Xwing vs Tie Fighter style space PVP. There are a number of level 55 daily areas now, new raids, new flashpoints etc.

The best place to look is here: http://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/wiki/major_changes

kmz

Neo Member
Tanks are and have always been all melee.

DPS wise Snipers/Slingers are probably some of the best both in DPS numbers and utility, but all classes bring something to the table.

Do melee still kinda suck compare to range in dps and tanking?

Everything changes patch to patch with class changes/tweaks, but all the "ranged" tanks really are melee as well, majority of their abilities require you to be within melee ranges or very close either way, they simply have more ranged attack options available to them. But stuff like the Juggernaught/Guardians have gotten lot of buffs.

Melee dps I think is tougher to play, but they can be beast mode in right hands.

wtf why did they reset all my layouts and other options lol.

how do you display your other hotkey bars again?

fuuuck i forgot i've gotten a g700 since my naga died last year. gonna have to rebind stuff...

Did they ever add something that allows you to switch skill builds easier? Always annoying switching between a more dps build for solo stuff than tank build for flashpoints and what not on my guardian.

lolol cash shop. theres gotta be a slave leia outfit in here right?

StudioTan

wtf why did they reset all my layouts and other options lol.

how do you display your other hotkey bars again?

There is a little plus next to your hotkeys that opens the UI editor.

Did they ever add something that allows you to switch skill builds easier? Always annoying switching between a more dps build for solo stuff than tank build for flashpoints and what not on my guardian.

Not yet.

lolol cash shop. theres gotta be a slave leia outfit in here right?

You can buy all the cartel stuff on the GTN and there's been a slave outfit since launch. They've added more though. At the bottom of your inventory windows click Collections to see all the cartel stuff that is available.

carterr

Neo Member
Tanks are and have always been all melee.

Not entirely true, especially in the NM's of most ops. Vanguard tanks' range puts them a step ahead for a lot of fights. You can keep up a solid 1k dps from 30 meters for a short period of time and its valuable in some cases when being forced to stay in melee range such as on a Guardian leads to more damage and less control.

StudioTan

New SWTOR insider video for March.

I hadn't seen the new space PVP map, it's really impressive looking. Reminds me of the opening scene of RotS.

Also new cartel pack type coming in April that has all the armor sets from the pre-Starfighter packs. The cool thing is you'll get the entire armor set in one crate. That should help me fill in my collection :p

Sothpaw

Servers down? I saw double xp weekend and want to get a republic character rolling. Will play second fiddle to my awesome Agent of course.

What are the prices like in FFXIV? I remember doing a bit of crafting in anticipation, but I quit after the first month.

Anyways, Guild ships sounds fun!

Higher priced stuff was around 250million. It was meant for guilds but that was ridiculous money either way. Our guild were saving up several million but after prices came out, most quit the game as it was one of the things the few of us were interested in still before we dumped it.

Wow they actually are putting in Guildships? Thought that would be something a long ways off.

Feeling guildships wont be in right away if they aren't showing anything about them right now

Top Bottom