• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Any chance I could come back and complete my Revan set or is all hope lost? lol

Depends what pieces you're missing, the only parts that seem to be widly available are the chest and lower robes each for about 200-300k

The mask runs for 10mil +, seen it as high as 27mil and as low as 9mil

The belt runs for about 3mil but it's also harder to find.

I'm so glad the new patch actually makes containment work!

And here's your Manaan flashpoint confirmation.

Story2014_4_854x480.jpg

Syf

Banned
Woo. Still hoping we get a full planet like Makeb, and when he talks about it being the largest content expansion since Rise of the Hutt Cartel that suggests it probably will be. Either way though I'm happy to hear significant new content is on the way.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Strongholds is going up on PTS tomorrow! Tattooine looks awesome, can't wait to get that one.

No guild ships on PTS yet but the new Manaan flashpoint will be there.

Guild ships will apparently be 50 million credits.

They also reiterated that the other expansion is still scheduled for this year and that 2.10 will actually be coming out early Sept.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
2.10 eh? Wonder what's slated for that.

At the very least it'll be the last part of the story started with Assault on Tython leading up to the expansion. Manaan is the second part.

StudioTan

It sounds like it will be nothing more than the class balance changes that were supposed to be in 2.9, they are getting pushed back a few weeks. I doubt there is much content in 2.10 if at all with only a couple weeks apart.

They weren't supposed to be a couple of weeks apart though, Strongholds got pushed back a month. I'm sure the people working on flashpoints weren't really being used for GSHs and were on their own schedule. We do know there are 3 parts to the story before the expansion hits.

They weren't supposed to be a couple of weeks apart though, Strongholds got pushed back a month. I'm sure the people working on flashpoints weren't really being used for GSHs and were on their own schedule. We do know there are 3 parts to the story before the expansion hits.

There still should be an update in Oct, and I doubt a paid expansion is going to lead with only 2 months of marketing, when basic content updates get many more months of hype building in front of them.

StudioTan

There still should be an update in Oct, and I doubt a paid expansion is going to lead with only 2 months of marketing, when basic content updates get many more months of hype building in front of them.

I'm just going by what Eric Musco said in the stream and posted on the forums:

Hey everyone,

As of now you will have seen our initial patch notes for Game Update 2.9 and noticed something missing, class changes. There are a few reasons that there are no class changes in 2.9, I wanted to explain their reasoning and tell you when you can expect them.

Game Update 2.9 – Is a large Digital Expansion that brings loads of new features to mess around with. With so much going on in the update we knew we would get very little testing on any class changes on PTS. As such, we felt it would be risky to make any class adjustments in 2.9.
Game Update 2.10 is close! – We have bumped any class changes we were considering for 2.9 into Game Update 2.10. The reason is that 2.10 is only a few weeks later (currently slated for September 9th) and allows to give some “breathing room” around 2.9’s large update. While I am setting expectations, I want you to know that the class changes in 2.10, although there are quite a few, they are not extremely robust either. There is a good reason for that though…
Expansion! – As you might expect, I can’t go into details yet. However it is safe to say that when our “Rise-like expansion” comes later this year, you can expect quite a lot of class changes

Thanks everyone. I know there aren’t class changes, but go on PTS anyway and decorate your Stronghold!

StudioTan

PTS is up!

5,000 credits for the Coruscant apartment and I would assume DK as well. Just under 1.5 million to unlock it all.

2.5 million for tattooine :O Just under 10 million to unlock it all but you get the entire outdoor space for the first 2.5 million. You can also use CCs.

ADDED: After playing with it for a bit, man, there is a LOT of stuff here. Crafting will certainly be viable again I think. Plus the resources required come for all levels, they're not just end game crafting materials.

Plus there is crafting involved in the galactic conquest stuff that they haven't even talked about yet, it looks like it might be a pretty in depth system.

PTS is up!

5,000 credits for the Coruscant apartment and I would assume DK as well. Just under 1.5 million to unlock it all.

2.5 million for tattooine :O Just under 10 million to unlock it all but you get the entire outdoor space for the first 2.5 million. You can also use CCs.

ADDED: After playing with it for a bit, man, there is a LOT of stuff here. Crafting will certainly be viable again I think. Plus the resources required come for all levels, they're not just end game crafting materials.

Plus there is crafting involved in the galactic conquest stuff that they haven't even talked about yet, it looks like it might be a pretty in depth system.

5,000 credits? Wow that's a lot cheaper than I thought it would be.

Syf

Banned
That all sounds really good. How quickly can you get to and from your place if you're starting on the fleet? Is there a quick travel option or do you have to fly to the planet?

StudioTan

That all sounds really good. How quickly can you get to and from your place if you're starting on the fleet? Is there a quick travel option or do you have to fly to the planet?

You travel directly there from a new menu at the top of the screen from wherever you are. From your stronghold you can travel back to where you were, to the fleet, to the main area of the planet or to your ship.

StudioTan

Manaan map from the SWTOR subreddit.

So it seems there is some sort of an area but not an actual planet.

From watching Twitch streams of the PTS it looks amazing.

Yeah, I did the flashpoint. It's really well done but easy since it's tactical. Based on data mining there are apparently hardmodes for all the tactical FPs that are currently disabled. The best guess is we'll get them with the expansion since they will likely raise the level cap again.

The area on Manaan is quite big but there is nothing there except the flashpoint and the vendor. I'm guessing there will be more to it at some point, maybe a daily area or some story content from the expansion.

I'll link my screenshot in case some people want to experience it themselves - Manaan

The area on Manaan is quite big but there is nothing there except the flashpoint and the vendor. I'm guessing there will be more to it at some point, maybe a daily area or some story content from the expansion.
That's very disappointing to hear. I hope they populate it more because it looks awesome.

New Mission log UI.

Glad to see them working on some UI improvements.

If only I could get a grid for interface editing.

Heysoos

So how would I go about joining the Republic GAF guild? I am already on Jedi Covenant, and was looking for a guild to work with.

Sorry I've been at work all day. If you still want in just let me know when you'll be on. The guild is still active, but due to the lack of content it's been slow from what I heard. I haven't really played in a couple of months.

The lack of content is kind of killing the community off though, game definately feels a lot less active last time I logged on during prime time hours. Lack of content is making big PVE guilds slow down.

StudioTan

Did you guys see the datamined info about planetary conquest? It seems like it could be a pretty big system for guilds. I wonder when they'll reveal it officially? I'm thinking next week.

kmz

Neo Member
I'm already super bummed about all the damn Alien Data Cubes and stuff I vendored thinking they were worthless. Fuck.

Sounds neat, but also sounds like most of the Conquest stuff is simply reusing current content and having guilds compete in some manner over them. Probably some kind of turn in type deal of which guild does most turn ins of something earned from these events?

Sorry I've been at work all day. If you still want in just let me know when you'll be on. The guild is still active, but due to the lack of content it's been slow from what I heard. I haven't really played in a couple of months.

The lack of content is kind of killing the community off though, game definately feels a lot less active last time I logged on during prime time hours. Lack of content is making big PVE guilds slow down.

I should be on the rest of tonight, but I am not completely sure. My main Republic character is named Felkara.

unbias

This game these past couple weeks has seen a large number of people join, it seems. On The Harbinger, the republic fleet now has 3 instances worth of people on it at any given time, filled up. Seems everyone is getting in a star wars mood. Good to see because this game has improved dramatically, since launch. Most enjoyable MMO for me since the launch of WoW.

StudioTan

This game these past couple weeks has seen a large number of people join, it seems. On The Harbinger, the republic fleet now has 3 instances worth of people on it at any given time, filled up. Seems everyone is getting in a star wars mood. Good to see because this game has improved dramatically, since launch. Most enjoyable MMO for me since the launch of WoW.

People start filtering back when new content is about to be released. That's certainly the case with me. I didn't quit the game but I had barely logged in the past few months since there wasn't anything new and summer is keeping me busy. Now with housing coming I've been logging in almost every day getting things ready and earning money so that I'm ready when the patch hits.

unbias

People start filtering back when new content is about to be released. That's certainly the case with me. I didn't quit the game but I had barely logged in the past few months since there wasn't anything new and summer is keeping me busy. Now with housing coming I've been logging in almost every day getting things ready and earning money so that I'm ready when the patch hits.

Ya, but it seems more then normal... I dunno, maybe it is just me, but it seems like it is getting more popular then normal even, before a content release.

That certainty was it for me and my friends.

BioWare posted some more Manaan backstory. This time from the Sith Empire side.

Lana Beniko’s Journal: Darth Arkous

Observation of my subject continues. It’s entirely business as usual. Oversight, consultations, strategy discussions. A good deal of his time is spent behind closed doors without my presence. It’s always been that way with us, but it used to be I had no reason to question the reason for his privacy.

Working with him from day to day as if nothing’s amiss has not been easy. When I look him in the eye and ask him a question and know that he’s lying to me, it is difficult to believe that this is the same man who recruited me into his world. How far back does the deception go?

My first impression of Darth Arkous was that of a vain and pompous statesman. I recall not being all that impressed with him, but his offer to act in an advisory role for the military was too promising an opportunity to pass up. This was especially true as my first exposure to Arkous’s work would involve overseeing the invasion of Talay, the site of a major Republic outpost and communications hub.

Despite the self-assured manner in which he carried on about his plan, I had to admit it was a clever initiative that would minimize resistance while maximizing confusion amongst the planet’s populace. What not even Arkous had accounted for, however, was that the Republic was executing a plot of its own that would threaten to place his offensive in jeopardy.

An SIS team was already aboard Arkous’s ship when we departed from Dromund Kaas. I was meditating, setting my passions free to roil and reach. Spies are taught to withstand the persuasive powers of the Force, to protect their minds from harm. While this sort of discipline is useful against direct confrontation from someone like myself, it tends to be a fairly useless means of mental camouflage. Point of fact, it acts as a virtual beacon to any Sith familiar with the telltale signs of someone walling off their thoughts.

I could sense that the enemy assets--four of them--were apart from one another, unable to communicate for fear of discovery. I sought out the one nearest to me and, after some initial resistance, convinced him to tell me everything. They were to slice whatever data they could and then remotely detonate an explosive device on our craft from the safety of an escape pod. I had been concerned the spies were sent to subvert the Talay initiative, but it was clear they knew nothing of it. Not yet, at least. They still had a reasonable chance of revealing our plan to their superiors, and an even better chance of killing us all.

I reached out to Arkous, warning him of the danger. Separate but working together we silently stalked and eliminated two more. I then came upon the final SIS agent, who was busy priming the explosive device within the belly of the ship. I thought I had the drop on her, but she had surgical enhancements. Inhumanly alert and impossibly fast. I struck and missed and by the time I recovered she was already on her way to the escape pods.

With the need for subterfuge over, I sounded the alarm. As I worked to defuse the bomb the crew tried their best to stop the agent, but they failed. She had already launched the escape pod. I gave word to the bridge to jam all communications and then let Darth Arkous decide whether to pull her in via tractor beam or obliterate her with our cannons. That was when she detonated a secondary device inside the ship’s electrical hub.
We had no comms. No tractor beams. No weapons. And we had no idea what she might have learned of our initiative, and there was nothing we could do about it. Even the Force couldn’t stop her from broadcasting the data if she wanted to. I watched the pod depart, wishing I had done more, when I witnessed something truly astounding.

The pod slowed as a figure rocketed from our ship. It was Darth Arkous, outfitted for space. He slammed against the pod and plunged his lightsaber into it. That was enough to compromise the pod’s integrity. Its interior became the agent’s tomb.

Darth Arkous went above and beyond to preserve the Empire’s edge against the Republic. He may have played the self-important bureaucrat, but by his actions he was undoubtedly a selfless and devoted patriot. From that moment forward, I was certain I had made the right choice in becoming his advisor.

My subject recently made arrangements to pilot a shuttle to Onderon. He claimed he must negotiate a sensitive matter with the planet’s temperamental queen regarding troop commitments. That would be all well and good if he was actually going to Onderon.

He has arrived on Manaan instead. Without the proper clearance codes I find myself unable to land, but I must see this through, if only to prove that he’s simply engaged in something petty or embarrassing. Unfortunately, I don’t think I’ll prove any such thing. I feel with every fiber of my being that this is something more.

Something terrible.

unbias

Ya, sounds awesome. I'm really starting to get back into this game. I hope even more people give it a try, cause it has come a long way, imo.

Really tempted to get back into the game yet again after beating the Sith Warrior story a few months ago.

I'm not sure what it is but my mind always wanders back to SWTOR even after all of my friends stopped playing. I'm think part of it is because of the storylines (only completed JK and SW).

StudioTan

The Rakghouls are back!

On Tat this time but it's the same underground area as Alderaan.

Moff

yeah thats exactly what I expected when I saw the event on alderaan.

shame they didnt continue you it in the manner the started it on tatoonie. that was a great event.

Armaros

Really tempted to get back into the game yet again after beating the Sith Warrior story a few months ago.

I'm not sure what it is but my mind always wanders back to SWTOR even after all of my friends stopped playing. I'm think part of it is because of the storylines (only completed JK and SW).

The knight and warrior storylines are the most 'epic' in scale. Since they both deal with the
Sith Emperor

The others are more personal or on a smaller scale.

The imperial agent one feels the most different out if all IMO. Feels almost like a Bond movie.

StudioTan

Frankly, I don't think Bioware gives a shit about PvPers. :/

The conquest stuff has open world PVP for some of the content so it seems like they want to encourage PVP.

UltraMav

I think they're just severely understaffed. It seems like they have the best intentions with improving the game, just not the resources to please more than one group at a time.

I think they're just severely understaffed. It seems like they have the best intentions with improving the game, just not the resources to please more than one group at a time.

Yeah pretty much. I think what happened was when the game initially failed they sacked almost everyone with an intimate knowledge of how the game worked, was programmed. With the success of F2P bringing in people and the Cartel Market bringing in additional revenue from largely subscribers all the new staff have first had to learn the game. Hence the frequent response to a request is they can't do things as the engine won't let them and then a few months later rolling it out.

I agree they seem genuine, they are just hamstrung by decisions made before they came on board.

Abraxas

I was on a couple of days ago, and its incredible how quickly the population has declined. Even a few months ago on my RP server, there was at least 30-50 on most planets. Now I see 5-10 if i'm lucky, and chat is dead.

Shame, because this is the first MMO i've really given a crack, and the story (at least for the inquisitor) is far above my expectations.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I was on a couple of days ago, and its incredible how quickly the population has declined. Even a few months ago on my RP server, there was at least 30-50 on most planets. Now I see 5-10 if i'm lucky, and chat is dead.

Shame, because this is the first MMO i've really given a crack, and the story (at least for the inquisitor) is far above my expectations.

Yeah I still love SW:TOR and it's one of the really really good WoW clones, but their early mistakes just cost them too many people, and it's part of the reason why my friends and I just can't stay with the game when we come back. Too few people playing (especially ranked arena).

ESO and Wildstar probably made things a lot worse, and the upcoming WoD launch (that will most likely coincide with the SW:TOR xpac) is probably going to be the final nail in the coffin.

Frankly, I'm impressed that the dev team can even keep producing some quality raid content and the like, it's obvious that the team has been cut down a lot since launch, and their resources/budget are probably very small.

Haven't noticed this really on our server, as others mentioned before it seems to have been a spike of population in game and typically you see a big spike when new content patches are about to hit as well. Last night was on and planetary and fleet pops were same they were months ago, before I took a hiatus.

Queues for some content is taking a while though, in large part I think due to the long gap in any new end game content, most are decked out already in gear with nothing to do sadly and the last three updates just were the tactical FP's which end game centric players had no interest in.

The delay of strongholds left a huge content gap that I think probably did some harm, they have to hope 2.9 works out and that they get out the info soon for their big expansion to keep up some interest. They need to get back into a more regular mode of content releases, they can't afford to have massive content gaps anymore.

And at this point, they REALLY should be looking into cross server queues for content.

StudioTan

Yeah I still love SW:TOR and it's one of the really really good WoW clones, but their early mistakes just cost them too many people, and it's part of the reason why my friends and I just can't stay with the game when we come back. Too few people playing (especially ranked arena).

ESO and Wildstar probably made things a lot worse, and the upcoming WoD launch (that will most likely coincide with the SW:TOR xpac) is probably going to be the final nail in the coffin.

Frankly, I'm impressed that the dev team can even keep producing some quality raid content and the like, it's obvious that the team has been cut down a lot since launch, and their resources/budget are probably very small.

I'm not sure that's true, the staff isn't what it was at launch but that staff was huge, like 800 people, but I think they still have a pretty big staff. They are just split between different content.

We're in a content gap mostly because GSHs was pushed back a month. Both it and the guild ships/conquest stuff are pretty big systems. On top of that you have people working on OPs, FPs and other content. You have event teams. Another team is working on content for the Cartel market. There was a team working on GSF that has since been moved to something else. Then there is the team working on the next expansion for later this year.

I think the slowness in providing changes is more to do with the fact the game is so big, not that the staff is small. There is a big hierarchy to go through to get stuff into the game.

You only have to look at WoW to see that the size of the team doesn't relate to how quickly content is coming out. They've twice now gone about a year without any content releases before expansions come out. Their last content patch was Sept of 2013. Granted their expansions are bigger but if you combine all the stuff that will have come out this year for SWTOR it would be comparable to a WoW expansion.

Draxal

I'm not sure that's true, the staff isn't what it was at launch but that staff was huge, like 800 people, but I think they still have a pretty big staff. They are just split between different content.

We're in a content gap mostly because GSHs was pushed back a month. Both it and the guild ships/conquest stuff are pretty big systems. On top of that you have people working on OPs, FPs and other content. You have event teams. Another team is working on content for the Cartel market. There was a team working on GSF that has since been moved to something else. Then there is the team working on the next expansion for later this year.

I think the slowness in providing changes is more to do with the fact the game is so big, not that the staff is small. There is a big hierarchy to go through to get stuff into the game.

You only have to look at WoW to see that the size of the team doesn't relate to how quickly content is coming out. They've twice now gone about a year without any content releases before expansions come out. Their last content patch was Sept of 2013. Granted their expansions are bigger but if you combine all the stuff that will have come out this year for SWTOR it would be comparable to a WoW expansion.

Wow has done it with every expansion so far so this is the sixth time that this has happened.

Problem with MMO's in general is that content takes a while to deliver and players devour it instantly. (This is the big problem with flash point design, it justs get old hat after a week but it takes a lot longer than to develop).

Top Bottom