• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Pre

Downloading this for the first time. I've heard about how the game has fallen off quite a bit since launch, but I want to try it anyway because I'm looking for a WoW alternative and prefer something F2P.

Any advice for getting started?

Low Tier
Downloading this for the first time. I've heard about how the game has fallen off quite a bit since launch, but I want to try it anyway because I'm looking for a WoW alternative and prefer something F2P.

Any advice for getting started?

its not rly f2p
crazy.gif

Milly79

its not rly f2p
crazy.gif

It totally is F2P, if you just want to check out the story lines. After that, not so much. I'd find a friend referral link to get some free goodies to start out with, then put down $5 on something in the Cartel Market so you can have less restrictions with preferred status.

Paganmoon

So after playing a bit for the first time since launch, some things stood out to me, or I got re-reminded of them.

• The world is pretty lifeless, you have these great big avenues everywhere, with a few mobs or NPC scattered to the sides, it just doesn't feel like a living, breathing world.
  • After two and a half years, they still haven't fixed tons of graphical bugs, like force lightning sticking on mobs for a few extra seconds, or dead mobs still standing up. Plus a number of GUI bugs, like character profile pictures dissapearing for a second when you change target.
  • After playing a few other recent MMO's, not being able to just change the style of my characters outfit feels so wrong, getting a new helm, putting it on and seeing how poorly it fits with the rest of the armor... yeah can't get used to that anymore
  • The combat, there's something about it I just can't put my finger on, it's just not dynamic enough.
  • Currently on Corellia on my Sith Inquisitor, doing the last quests there including the class quest, and it feels like I'm spending half the time just traveling from point A to point B, the distances are just too far apart, which could've been fine, if the world didn't feel so dead. (100% speeder btw, not walking)

I decided to give the game another go when I heard about the next expansion and it's focus on a particular character from the singleplayer games, but man, I don't think I can stick around for it.
It might have been different if I had friend to play with, but running around this dead world on your own just isn't fun.

Really disappointed (again), since The Old Republic era is my favorite Star Wars era. I'll probably finish the class quest, that's about it.

Man this game really could've been great... saddens me to think about the possibilities it had :(

Heysoos

So after playing a bit for the first time since launch, some things stood out to me, or I got re-reminded of them.

• The world is pretty lifeless, you have these great big avenues everywhere, with a few mobs or NPC scattered to the sides, it just doesn't feel like a living, breathing world.
  • After two and a half years, they still haven't fixed tons of graphical bugs, like force lightning sticking on mobs for a few extra seconds, or dead mobs still standing up. Plus a number of GUI bugs, like character profile pictures dissapearing for a second when you change target.
  • After playing a few other recent MMO's, not being able to just change the style of my characters outfit feels so wrong, getting a new helm, putting it on and seeing how poorly it fits with the rest of the armor... yeah can't get used to that anymore
  • The combat, there's something about it I just can't put my finger on, it's just not dynamic enough.
  • Currently on Corellia on my Sith Inquisitor, doing the last quests there including the class quest, and it feels like I'm spending half the time just traveling from point A to point B, the distances are just too far apart, which could've been fine, if the world didn't feel so dead. (100% speeder btw, not walking)

I decided to give the game another go when I heard about the next expansion and it's focus on a particular character from the singleplayer games, but man, I don't think I can stick around for it.
It might have been different if I had friend to play with, but running around this dead world on your own just isn't fun.

Really disappointed (again), since The Old Republic era is my favorite Star Wars era. I'll probably finish the class quest, that's about it.

Man this game really could've been great... saddens me to think about the possibilities it had :(

Hero Engine is shit.

There is tons of customization you can do on your outfits, and they have constantly added more options with the orange, and legacy gear options. Adaptive gear, as well as dye slots.

The living world thing is pretty crappy, they created an overly huge game world that are empty. Remember around 1.2 they said they were gonna look about adding more NPC's via their scaling engine, as the game spawns NPC's in the game world depending on the performance going on. Only you see these NPCs (the ones you cant click on or mouse over), other players dont see them. They said they were gonna look at adding more to give the world a more lived in feel but that never happened. Like coruscant space port, it's huge, and it has almost no NPC's in it. It's freaking coruscant, it should be jammed with people.

Graphical bugs and MMOs are pretty common, been doing lot of Wildstar lately and it's packed with them too. FFXIV is one of the more polished MMO's though I've recently played.

Moff

I actually think the adaptive gear is one of the best ways, if not the best way, to customize the look of your equipment in MMOs, because it sill feels like you are actually wearing that cool piece of armor, and not some magic transmog rubbish. its also much more customizable itself.

and I really think the combat is superb in SWTOR, its practically the no1 reason why I played that game so long, all classes feel really good, or at least the ones I play regularly.

apart from that, yea, the (modified) hero engine sucks, it was always and will always be the games biggest problem, for me at least.

Ocho

and I really think the combat is superb in SWTOR, its practically the no1 reason why I played that game so long, all classes feel really good, or at least the ones I play regularly.

Agreed. I would say not dynamic combat is what I disagreed the most with Paganmoon's post. I guess it's no Widlstar, but it's much better than FFXIV and maybe even WoW.

Voidwolf

Are Concealment Operatives viable in PvP again? I'd finally had it with this game after 2.7 nerfed us for the millionth time. I heard they brought back the interrupt on Jarring Strikes in 2.8 but does it interrupt absolutely everything the way it did before - like a stun - or just casts/channels?

I'm a die hard Star Wars fan and I've been playing this since it came out but I'd just gotten so fed up with the combat team's flavor of the month approach to class balancing.

I actually think the adaptive gear is one of the best ways, if not the best way, to customize the look of your equipment in MMOs, because it sill feels like you are actually wearing that cool piece of armor, and not some magic transmog rubbish. its also much more customizable itself.

apart from that, yea, the (modified) hero engine sucks, it was always and will always be the games biggest problem, for me at least.

The one thing I liked about SWTOR combat was that you essentially were always fighting in a group, and not just constant one on one fights you get in MMOs. You and your companion usually versus a cluster of bad guys, instead of picking off a room one by one henchmen which take a long time to kill. The mix of elites with easy mobs in the groups made combat feel more larger scale and you felt powerful

Syf

Banned
I don't get the combat complaint either. Combat in TOR is one of the reasons why I enjoy it so much, and I've played quite a few MMOs.

Paganmoon

Dynamic was probably a poor choice of word, but was the first thing that came to mind. As I also said, there's something about the combat that I can't put my finger on, but it doesn't sit well with me. But yeah, less dynamic is the first thing that pops into my head when I think about it, rigid might be another word for what I'm thinking maybe? I don't know.. Maybe I'm not playing Sith Sorcerer as one should, not using the right abilities, so not getting the full experience?

About the equipment styles, all I've seen available are hide head slot, and unify colors, not quite the range of say DC Universe online, or transmogrification of WoW. I think DC Universe online has the best way to handle character appearance, where items that drop have a distinct style to them, and you collect those styles, everytime you wear a new item, thus opening it up to be used in the "style interface" making the character look exactly as you want it.
I recall you could take almost any orange item, and modify it with item modifications, so it suits your needs, is that the customization you were talking about Moff? It's workable but it's not as easy and fast as the styles of DCUO, and not really usefull when question/leveling up imo.

And yeah, the Hero Engine, me and a friend had big discussions about that choice back during gameplay beta, the summer before release. We couldn't understand why they chose it, such a big game, must've been better engines for it, hell with such a big game (as it was trying to be), they could've made one in-house imo. One of our bigger issues was the warping when going up inclinations (hills etc), where if you moved erratically, you would warp all over the place on the other players screen. Something I hadn't seen in a game since Everquest.

But it's not all bad I suppose, there are things that have improved, the performance being one, setting everything to max, including shadows, I get a steady 80fps now, whereas before I was in my 40's, and the shadows looked horrible, but I was still hoping for them to have come much further in that time.

Anyway, I'll be playing my class quest, and probably doing some other stuff on and off during the rest of my subscription, playing on EU Progenitor, Empire side on Kaldiin, and Republic side on Eloune, so hit me up if you're on the server and are ok with a noob running along with you.
Come to think of it, I've got like 2500 cartelpoints (security key was still active on my account, free cartelpoints for the past 2 years hehe), so could do a servertransfer if there are friendly people elsewhere :)

You can get almost all gear in an orange variant so you can create a unique look. Random looted green/blue gear obviously is something you are stuck with, but that look is available in orange from a crafter/vendor typically somewhere.

Adaptive armor was added later which is armor that assumes the armor type of wearer, so if you wear medium armor, it turns into medium, if your light, it turns into light. It's not restricted by type of player.

Sorc perhaps is an issue for you, as it's a more stand back and press button classes. Melee users and hybrids do lot more movement and feel more fun to me. I found the spell caster types boring to play since you mainly just stand in a place going zap zap

Really no game has touched DCUO customization.

Syf

Banned
Look up orange quality gear on the GTN to see some of the options for adaptive armor. There's a lot of it available these days. When I'm leveling I like to just fill the adaptive armor with mods bought using planetary commendations from those mod vendors. Cheap to do and you keep the look you want.

Also yeah, personally I find sorc/cons class to be pretty dull in combat. The non-force user classes are my favorites to play. Maybe try out the other classes if you aren't enjoying sorcerer.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

I agree with you, the adaptive armor is a nice way to give people control of their armor appearance without it feeling like you're not actually wearing the armor. The biggest issue I always had with transmog in WoW is you're not actually wearing what you look like and it creates a sort of disconnect there.

Also I'll agree with the combat in swtor feeling amazing, it has been a long while since i've felt a genuine rush to actually fighting something like I do in this game. Even doing your basic rotation feels really dynamic. I think the issue that swtor has is that the game has a very long ramp up time, a lot of classes don't actually feel engaging till late 30s or mid 40s and there are a ton of specs you can't even play properly without the level 45 talents. Like infiltration shadows, your level 45 talent is clairvoyant strike...which becomes your main spam move and puts a buff on you that basically makes the whole spec work. The same goes for focus / vigilance guardians, the builds don't really fit together until 45 when you get the last talent and then you go "OH THAT'S HOW IT'S SUPPOSED TO WORK!"

The hero engine really does feel like the biggest limitation but it's not the worst thing I've ever seen. It has some nice stuff, like the way it handles cloth physics, sure it gets a bit glitchy and clippy, but I like that cloth feels like cloth.

Got my Jedi Knight to 50 and that about wraps up the class stories for me. Glad to finally get through it. Been leaving it off for quite a while now.

Heysoos

You can't talk to him, Milly. I tried to tell him to go to BC when I xferred like 5 months ago now and he just wouldn't do it. He even has a free transfer to use and he's too cool for it.

I didn't know you were still logging in Heysoos. How is the PVP scene on JC now?

I haven't really, just logged on to invite him. :p I just honestly don't have much time. Work is short staffed until we can get seasonals in, so I've been pulling a bit of hours.

Not a lot since they said they want lvl 15-20 to be able to afford them. Adding to them and decorating will cost probably as it adds up. Tat and Nar Shadda strongholds will cost more than faction home planets.

RPGCrazied

Not a lot since they said they want lvl 15-20 to be able to afford them. Adding to them and decorating will cost probably as it adds up. Tat and Nar Shadda strongholds will cost more than faction home planets.

I hope so, I couldn't even afford a mount, until a gaffer helped me secure one. It needs to stay under 20k lol

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
They have the Nar Shaddaa stronghold priced at 250,000 credits on the Galactic Strongholds page.

Really the only pricy thing about strongholds so far is the amount of locked rooms.

Yeah but they consider that one and Tat as luxury ones. As BattleMonkey said they in the last stream that they want people who are appropriate level for Coruscant and DK to be able to afford those ones.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Yeah but they consider that one and Tat as luxury ones. As BattleMonkey said they in the last stream that they want people who are appropriate level for Coruscant and DK to be able to afford those ones.

Oh I totally missed that, I thought the implication was that all homes would be considered pricey.

I imagine the point of entry for the Coruscant and DK would be really, really low (like 5-10k) but the price increases substantially the more rooms you unlock - i would think possibly 100-500k for the full unlock on those planets. Expecting over 1mil for a full unlock on Nar Shadda and Tatooine.

Guild Capital ships will be the real money sink though.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

Yeah, I had and still have my gripes with SW:TOR, but the combat is absolutely stellar compared to most other MMOs--beats out WoW, GW2, ESO, etc... All the animations are fluid, and removing auto attack is a great decision, makes everything have more impact. Not to mention class rotations are all extremely fun, simple, and yet fairly deep.

Wish the WoD devs would take some notes instead of just butchering every WoW class, mindlessly removing half of their rotations.

Milly79

I agree, as I'm trying to break into WoW right now for high-end PvP, but it's just so... Blah. The combat is pretty bad coming from swtor, and I just really can't get into it. I would love to sub to swtor again, but I know the communities aren't there for what I really want. It's such a drag. Low level dungeons are piss easy as well, which is a huge turn off and everyone is just... Better than me it seems, but that comes with playing forever and I haven't been serious into WoW since 2007/8.

God dammit, Bioware. Why couldn't you have ultimately done just a little better? :(

Paganmoon

Ok, I'm really not seeing the draw of the combat in this game. I've played casters in Everquest, everquest 2, Vanguard, WoW, this is by far the worst combat of them all, abilities don't seem responsive enough, you cycle through a very few set of abilities, and within the first 2 seconds of combat, you can tell if you're going to die cause you made a poor pull, or if it's going to be a cakewalk, and you just mindnumbingly pressing your rotation until all mobs are down. there is no middle ground. I've been trying to follow guides, see if I'm just not using the abilities right, but everything I find seems to indicate this is the way to play the Sith sorcerer.

And I get it, other classes are more fun, but I like casters, I want to play casters. At this point the combat of Mental Controller in DCUO is more fun, and your ability set there is limited to 7 abilities total at a time... I really, really want to like this game, Old Republic era is my favorite Star Wars era but, man...

I know it can be quite annoying for you guys who like the game to have me come here and vent and rant about it, but I'm hoping someone here can point me to a playstyle with the sorcerer/inquisitor that isn't so damned boring, cause if the only other response is play a different class, well, I guess I'm going to have to give up on ToR again :(

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Arsenal Mercenary is the only "caster" I really enjoyed. My Sorc experience is similar to yours.

Ok, I'm really not seeing the draw of the combat in this game. I've played casters in Everquest, everquest 2, Vanguard, WoW, this is by far the worst combat of them all, abilities don't seem responsive enough, you cycle through a very few set of abilities, and within the first 2 seconds of combat, you can tell if you're going to die cause you made a poor pull, or if it's going to be a cakewalk, and you just mindnumbingly pressing your rotation until all mobs are down. there is no middle ground. I've been trying to follow guides, see if I'm just not using the abilities right, but everything I find seems to indicate this is the way to play the Sith sorcerer.

And I get it, other classes are more fun, but I like casters, I want to play casters. At this point the combat of Mental Controller in DCUO is more fun, and your ability set there is limited to 7 abilities total at a time... I really, really want to like this game, Old Republic era is my favorite Star Wars era but, man...

I know it can be quite annoying for you guys who like the game to have me come here and vent and rant about it, but I'm hoping someone here can point me to a playstyle with the sorcerer/inquisitor that isn't so damned boring, cause if the only other response is play a different class, well, I guess I'm going to have to give up on ToR again :(

Without changing classes, your experience isn't going to change with the sorc. DCUO is a more real time combat system so it's going to be more interesting, while your playing one of the most passive classes in TOR. I've enjoyed the game with most classes, but the sorc ones are the two that I have avoided due to how meh I find them to play. Too much passive sitting back just pressing buttons while you depend on your tank companion to keep the aggro.

I redid the character and went for the assassin AC since it was so much more fun.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I agree, as I'm trying to break into WoW right now for high-end PvP, but it's just so... Blah. The combat is pretty bad coming from swtor, and I just really can't get into it. I would love to sub to swtor again, but I know the communities aren't there for what I really want. It's such a drag. Low level dungeons are piss easy as well, which is a huge turn off and everyone is just... Better than me it seems, but that comes with playing forever and I haven't been serious into WoW since 2007/8.

God dammit, Bioware. Why couldn't you have ultimately done just a little better? :(

Why would you break into WoW during the deadzone between expansions lol? Wait for WoD to launch, then jump in; trust me, your experience will be 100x better. And yeah, WoW isn't SWTOR, people have been PvPing there for years and are actually good. Can't just jump in and completely destroy noobitos within a day of resubbing (which I must admit, is part of the appeal of SW:TOR), takes a lot of time, practice, and a few friends to get good at WoW pvp.

Though next expansion will probably be easier considering they are removing half the buttons. Watching pro player streams, their action bars went from 4-6 fully decked out bars to 2-3 with holes everywhere.

Milly79

Why would you break into WoW during the deadzone between expansions lol? Wait for WoD to launch, then jump in; trust me, your experience will be 100x better. And yeah, WoW isn't SWTOR, people have been PvPing there for years and are actually good. Can't just jump in and completely destroy noobitos within a day of resubbing (which I must admit, is part of the appeal of SW:TOR), takes a lot of time, practice, and a few friends to get good at WoW pvp.

Thought next expansion will probably be easier considering they are removing half the buttons. Watching pro player streams, their action bars went from 4-6 fully decked out bars to 2-3 with holes everywhere.

Yeah, I just wanted to get a little experience with it right now, though. Leveling a Monk, and I guess it's been pretty fun overall, seeing the zones again when I haven't played in years. I definitely won't get serious into PvP until MoP hits, though. I will admit that the button bloat and whenever I get into macroing is a serious downside for me. I really liked having to hit everything in swtor, although I guess I have a different view on macros (which I've been told it just replaces buttons, lol).

There are a ton of noobs in swtor though. I remember pvping in low level WoW a few months back and just got destroyed. I know who's good in swtor and what-not. The good thing about swtor is there are just as many noobs on your team as well, so it balances itself out. I'm sure WoW is the same way, I just haven't PvP'd once since I picked it back up.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Low level WoW pvp is way worse than SW:TOR cause I'm pretty sure there's no bolster and so the people at the end of a level bracket just pwn everyone; also people make twinks. It's at max level and arenas where you'll notice people are generally a lot better (or just more geared lol). Lack of any kind of bolster makes WoW gearing a gigantic pain in the ass.

Also blizzard doesn't care about low level PvP, so when they mess with the damage formulas for end-game balance, it destroys low level balance. I remember at the beginning of MoP, warrior shield slam could 1 shot people at lower levels because of how it scaled.

Manaan backstory is up.

Since KOTOR: Manaan

Shuuru // Personal Datalog

It is not a foolish endeavor to try and anticipate one’s future path, or even the path of an entire civilization. But it can be. If we do not first take stock of that which lies in our wake, we can never truly know how to negotiate the currents ahead. It is with this concern in mind that I indulge in this analysis of the ebb and flow of my dear home, Manaan.

For a long time--longer than we have records for--the Infinite Empire ruled our world. They enslaved us until their eventual fall, and we Selkath vowed we would never be placed in servitude again. As offworld explorers eventually arrived on our world, they came to see our kolto as a vital resource in their contest for dominion over the galaxy. We in turn came to see how valuable kolto could be. Due to our history, however, we also saw how it could become a detriment.

Therefore, my ancestors wisely vowed to remain neutral in the galactic fray. They even went so far as to allow both the Galactic Republic and the Sith Empire to establish embassies on our surface metropolis, Ahto City. While their truce on our world was tense, the importance of kolto to their efforts gave them no choice but to conduct themselves in a lawful manner.

At least, that was what we believed.

A visit from a Jedi named Revan changed everything. He exposed a terrible truth--that the Sith were abducting and manipulating our youth, indoctrinating them into the ways of the dark side of the Force. This revelation did not sit well with my ancestors, and the resulting tensions eventually sparked an uprising led by one of those abducted children, Shasa--by this point a powerful Force practitioner in her own right.

The Sith were driven from Ahto City, their embassy razed. We continued our relations with the Republic, but warily so, ever mindful of the pattern of transgressions visited upon us by offworlders. More and more, we Selkath turned to our Force-wielding Order of Shasa--so named for the brave architect of the Sith’s ouster--for guidance. Taking after the pragmatic stance of their namesake, the order sought the abolishment of the Republic embassy from Ahto City, thereby isolating Manaan from the ongoing turbulence beyond its waters.

Ultimately, the action was unnecessary. Like how the flutter of a single fin is said to culminate in a great wave, it seemed as though our actions caused the Empire to crash and disperse. Tensions finally abated. For a time we Selkath prospered. Many of our kind even ventured out into the great sea of stars in search of new lives and opportunities.

We did not know it then, but like the fabled Binexan Shark the Sith Empire rose up from the black depths in a stronger, bolder form. When this resurgent Empire demanded our allegiance, my ancestors attempted to extend the same offer of neutrality they had found acceptable in the past. We only served to anger them. They bombarded our world from space, sinking nearly every last surface structure, Ahto City included.

With their inaction in our time of need, the Republic delivered the finishing blow--and this without having fired a single shot. Betrayed and embittered, we retreated to the depths, no longer willing to associate with any offworlders in any way. To us, they were all slavers. Abductors of our children. Calm-water friends at best.

Those years are said by many to be the greatest in Selkath history. Our own culture and traditions thrived. There was little strife. In our independence from the rest of the galaxy, we were together. But many secretly yearned for the ways and means the offworlders’ presence brought, and we came to find ourselves in economic distress. After a great deal of debate it was finally decided that, despite the lessons our past afforded us, our absence from the galactic stage was not to be permanent.

As our first new surface structure in many years, the Mercantile Plaza opened with strict rules as to who was given landing privileges. At first, this meant only special ambassadors from Republic-aligned worlds were allowed to visit. By this time I was heavily involved in shaping extra-planetary policy, and I pressed to extend an invitation to the Sith. I had been dissatisfied with the Republic’s inaction in our time of need and did not wish to invite a second bombardment from their enemies.

In the time since once again offering the Empire a kolto trade agreement and a presence on Manaan, the Republic has proven itself a more assertive and competent ally than in the past. I can earnestly say they have won me over. That does not mean, however, that we should renege on our deal with the Empire. It serves us well to strike a balance. After all, what guarantees do we have that either side would remain at arm’s length if left unchecked?

The answer to such a question lies in the churn of our wake.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
So the leaked stuff was spot on as usual. Guess its going to be another ROTHC like expansion on this new planet

It may be just a flashpoint, someone said it was supposed to be the second part of story after the Tython and Korriban ones.

yM4dEPM.jpg

EDIT: Although I suppose it's possible that there may be flashpoint associated with the expansion or that this story is a lead-up to the expansion. Regardless, Manaan is awesome.

If they plan on doing a paid expansion this year, they need to start pimping it, course they want to focus on the housing stuff, but people want content which seems to have been delayed by this housing "expansion"

Well, I have been playing this game for quite a while, and only now decided to check if there was a GAF guild. My main is an arsenal Merc, but i have a Jedi Guardian on the pub side.

Manaan would be a pretty damn cool place to visit.

kmz

Neo Member
I think some are speculating that it's a future feature (maybe with Strongholds?) that they didn't mean to release yet.

Top Bottom