• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Wow has done it with every expansion so far so this is the sixth time that this has happened.

Problem with MMO's in general is that content takes a while to deliver and players devour it instantly. (This is the big problem with flash point design, it justs get old hat after a week but it takes a lot longer than to develop).

Really? Last time I played WoW was the week that BC came out so I haven't really been following it. Well that just furthers my point I guess heh.

I agree with your second point, especially since the content they've been putting out has been pretty easy. I haven't done the tactical FPs much at all but I will when the inevitable HMs are released.

I'm fine with bits of content every few months, but they need to not have large gaps for a game like this. They kinda really screwed the pooch with doing pretty much nothing for late game players with the last several rounds of FP's and then pushing other stuff back, which also will have no interest for end game players. They went with the idea that players would repeat the content via new grinds to earn FP specifc rewards instead of making it properly part of end game activities.

I like the idea of making content more accessible, but they need to think about everyone.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I'm fine with bits of content every few months, but they need to not have large gaps for a game like this. They kinda really screwed the pooch with doing pretty much nothing for late game players with the last several rounds of FP's and then pushing other stuff back, which also will have no interest for end game players. They went with the idea that players would repeat the content via new grinds to earn FP specifc rewards instead of making it properly part of end game activities.

I like the idea of making content more accessible, but they need to think about everyone.

I agree. I don't know why they didn't put HMs in when they released the tactical FPs. I understand they were trying to make finding groups easier but there should have been another difficulty level. Having said that datamining has shown that there are HMs that haven't been unlocked yet so maybe they are waiting until the next expansion and likely a level cap raise to do that. That's what I'm hoping for anyway.

I agree. I don't know why they didn't put HMs in when they released the tactical FPs. I understand they were trying to make finding groups easier but there should have been another difficulty level. Having said that datamining has shown that there are HMs that haven't been unlocked yet so maybe they are waiting until the next expansion and likely a level cap raise to do that. That's what I'm hoping for anyway.

Probably since they need HM flashpoints to go with a level increase most likely. So they probably will use all these tacticals as the new HM's for lvl 60 which I assume is going to be new level cap. They pretty much already said new abilities are coming so another 5 level increase seems spot on.

At the same time wouldn't mind them doing something with the old content to make viable, right now not much reason to do the lvl 50 content, and they are nerfing Makeb to be easier to obviously make the transition to the new content easier since before you kinda wanted to buff up a bit at 50 to do Makeb and such further content.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I think the slowness in providing changes is more to do with the fact the game is so big, not that the staff is small. There is a big hierarchy to go through to get stuff into the game.

You only have to look at WoW to see that the size of the team doesn't relate to how quickly content is coming out. They've twice now gone about a year without any content releases before expansions come out. Their last content patch was Sept of 2013. Granted their expansions are bigger but if you combine all the stuff that will have come out this year for SWTOR it would be comparable to a WoW expansion.

I agree and blizzard has shot themselves in the foot twice with cata and now MoP getting no content for over a year. I still remember a post-cata interview where they said they are restructuring the entire WoW team so that such an "expansion deadzone" doesn't happen again. Well... it happened again, and for a lot longer. I haven't checked the time between tbc and wrath, and wrath and cata, but I think they were a lot shorter than cata/MoP and now MoP/WoD.

However, I don't think even 1 year of SW:TOR is comparable to a WoW xpac. WoW expacs are humongous, we'll see how large 3.0 is, but to me, everything from Rise of the Hutt Cartel up to and including 3.0 is comparable to an xpac like TBC or Wrath of the Lich King.

One thing I hope SW:TOR steals from the upcoming WoW xpac is the new structure of dailies/weeklies. Not as many dailies and weeklies will be lengthy story-based quest chains drawn from a pool of many many chains so that each week brings a new, fresh, randomized chain. Great solution to the same boring daily or dungeon grinds of old.

Giolon

I forgot to mention this the other day, I logged into the game and I got Friend Referral credit and got the Kurtob Alliance speeder, so someone must've gotten my referral link posted a few pages back working. So whoever it was that used it, thank you!

I forgot to mention this the other day, I logged into the game and I got Friend Referral credit and got the Kurtob Alliance speeder, so someone must've gotten my referral link posted a few pages back working. So whoever it was that used it, thank you!
It might've been me. I used your link so I can level my Commando faster during Double XP week.

Moff

dulfy has a planetary conquest guide
http://dulfy.net/2014/08/07/swtor-planetary-conquests-guide/

I have to admit, I am pleased. I expected all you could do was grind dailies on the spezific planet. but the way it looks, your guild "locks" on a planet and then can do various activities in the whole game to earn conquest points. also on that planet, but basically anything you can do in the game will earn conquest points. like warzones, starfighter, flashpoints. and honestly thats a great idea, giving you a reason to play everything in the game again. I like it.

The knight and warrior storylines are the most 'epic' in scale. Since they both deal with the
Sith Emperor

The others are more personal or on a smaller scale.

The imperial agent one feels the most different out if all IMO. Feels almost like a Bond movie.

Yeah that's the one I've been thinking about starting up next and probably sub for a few months or so.

Yeah that's the one I've been thinking about starting up next and probably sub for a few months or so.

It is almost universally agreed that Agent's story is best. Act 1 is taken right out a typical spy novel while 2-3 is takes a spy novel with a sci-fi novel and smashes them together. Also i think it has the most impactful choices in the game BY FAR (Act 1 ending alone has i think it was 9 different endings, which all have impacts on Act 3)

dulfy has a planetary conquest guide
http://dulfy.net/2014/08/07/swtor-pl...nquests-guide/

I have to admit, I am pleased. I expected all you could do was grind dailies on the spezific planet. but the way it looks, your guild "locks" on a planet and then can do various activities in the whole game to earn conquest points. also on that planet, but basically anything you can do in the game will earn conquest points. like warzones, starfighter, flashpoints. and honestly thats a great idea, giving you a reason to play everything in the game again. I like it.

Playing it on PTS and it really is something special IMO. I am not so much into strongholds minus the legacy storage but the way they have made so many aspects of the game relevant again through the conquest metagame is VERY impressive. IMO they should look at upping the personal rewards a little more as well to ensure that people participate.

Alur

Logged in Friday night to see if anyone was around and found Homi/Bruta and have PVP'd a little each night since.

Still as good as ever in that aspect, though it is hard to adjust to the movement and all the keys after ESO and then Wildstar back to back.

Still three or four small groups (4-6 people) of super serious pug busters left though.

Giolon

I for one am hoping for Togruta.

Who isn't? Bio has said they aren't going to do it at the Cantina events I went to though b/c their tentacle clipping issues are even worse than Twi'leks since they fall in front of the shoulders. I still hold onto my fool's hope though.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
any star wars game that allows you to be a wookie with a lightsaber is automatically the best so bioware needs to get on my level already

Who isn't? Bio has said they aren't going to do it at the Cantina events I went to though b/c their tentacle clipping issues are even worse than Twi'leks since they fall in front of the shoulders. I still hold onto my fool's hope though.

Eh. I am still miffed that Twi'leks can't even wear hoods.

Heysoos

Logged in Friday night to see if anyone was around and found Homi/Bruta and have PVP'd a little each night since.

Still as good as ever in that aspect, though it is hard to adjust to the movement and all the keys after ESO and then Wildstar back to back.

Still three or four small groups (4-6 people) of super serious pug busters left though.

what are you playing now

Alur

what are you playing now

why do you ask you never listen

nah but for reals

what are you all playing? getting back to swtor?

I'm still on JC playing my scoundrel mainly. I've got a sage on Yooni's server but didn't know he was playing still.

Been getting on about 10 or 11 EST most nights, though tonight won't be on til a little later.

You got time to play now or you still super busy?

Milly79

I play every now and then. Would definitely play more if I had people... I'm on BC though.

Usually only on before 9pm cst though.

I'm not transferring back, though.

Alur

I play every now and then. Would definitely play more if I had people... I'm on BC though.

Usually only on before 9pm cst though.

I'm not transferring back, though.

Yeah, you are definitely too early for me. I guess we learned that in Wildstar though. Kids don't go to bed til 8:30 usually and that's if they actually go to bed, heh.

I'd stay there too if I were you, but unfortunately I don't think Homi will go with me (and you play too early for me most days) so can't come there either =/.

Heysoos

I'm still on JC playing my scoundrel mainly. I've got a sage on Yooni's server but didn't know he was playing still.

Been getting on about 10 or 11 EST most nights, though tonight won't be on til a little later.

You got time to play now or you still super busy?

Isn't PVP pretty much dead at those hours on JC though? :( I'm not particularly busy right now. I was thinking of subbing for a month once that update hit.

Alur

Isn't PVP pretty much dead at those hours on JC though? :( I'm not particularly busy right now. I was thinking of subbing for a month once that update hit.

Goes pretty good til about 1 or 2 CST, so 2 or 3 EST. It's great til about 2 EST, how it is after that depends on the day, but sometimes you get another hour.

Heysoos

Goes pretty good til about 1 or 2 CST, so 2 or 3 EST. It's great til about 2 EST, how it is after that depends on the day, but sometimes you get another hour.

I've been craving some multiplayer fun, so the itch to go back has been really hitting me. I usually use BF4 when a multiplayer itch hits me, but it's been pissing me off lately with nonstop rubberbanding and netcode issues.

Alur

I've been craving some multiplayer fun, so the itch to go back has been really hitting me. I usually use BF4 when a multiplayer itch hits me, but it's been pissing me off lately with nonstop rubberbanding and netcode issues.

Been all Heroes of the Storm alpha for me, til this anyway. It's pretty fun and fairly rewarding win or lose which is nice.

EDIT: and I'm on BTW, on Wilend.

Loading screen for the new FP coming after manaan (2.9) in 2.10, which is actually launching in 1 month from now, so only a month between 2.9 and 2.10.

Possible spoilers if you recognize the image from KOTOR (unlikely) but absolutely stunning. From the datamined info, the upcoming 3.0 expansion is set to be fantastic for KOTOR fans.

The planet is
Rakata Prime

UeUxaen.png

StudioTan

Loading screen for the new FP coming after manaan (2.9) in 2.10, which is actually launching in 1 month from now, so only a month between 2.9 and 2.10.

Possible spoilers if you recognize the image from KOTOR (unlikely) but absolutely stunning. From the datamined info, the upcoming 3.0 expansion is set to be fantastic for KOTOR fans.

The planet is
Rakata Prime

UeUxaen.png

Was just about to post this. Love the feel of that location. The artists did such a great job with Makeb, I'm anxious to see what they have in store for the next expansion.

Man, I'm way more excited for Galactic Strongholds than I feel I should be. Maybe I'm just excited because I get the five free rooms. lol.

I'm kind of a sucker for houses in MMOs, ever since Ultima Online.

On a side note, does anyone know a good guild on Imp-side Harbinger? I'm level 55 (Assassin), but have very little experience with flashpoints and ops. I'm pretty good at flashpoints with regard to picking up strategies of bosses, but I fucked up pretty bad on Dread Fortress, and people are less than patient when doing group finder...

Alur

I come back to 10,000 cartel coins because I had apparently bought some + the monthlies kept adding up. I buy one hypercrate tonight since they are 40%. Got the walker.

That is the very first and only time that shit has ever worked out.

Looks like TOR is being featured at gamescom tomorrow morning at 9:15 PDT. Wonder if they'll show some of the expansion content.

http://ign.com/events/gamescom?schedule=true

Severely doubt it. I don't think they want to talk about the expansion at all until 2.10 has been out for a week or so - especially given what the nature of the content is likely to be
(return of revan against both empire and republic - mainly empire but against pubs as well)
. If this is the case (and judging from the datamines it would suggest so) then it would explain why they are so eager to kick 2.10 the door so fast after 2.9, so that they can actually reveal the expansions contents following part 3 of the forged alliances arc on
rakata prime
. Especially so, if it is coming out before the end of year. With 2.10 releasing on the 9/9 i could easily see an announcement for the expansion near end of September with release anytime after November 11th (9 week content gap from 2.10). I am thinking maybe closer to the third anniversary on December 20th, perhaps the 12th of December.

TLDR: I don't think they want to show off the expansion or describe it in any meaningful detail till 2.10 has been out and people have experienced the flash-point.

Expecting a stream of strongholds and flagships at best (maybe manann but likely strongholds).

Syf

Banned
Just watched it, time got pushed up. They talked mostly about strongholds and a renewed interest in the game with the Star Wars films coming up. Said they'll be talking a lot more about post-strongholds content in "the next few weeks."

StudioTan

Just watched it, time got pushed up. They talked mostly about strongholds and a renewed interest in the game with the Star Wars films coming up. Said they'll be talking a lot more about post-strongholds content in "the next few weeks."

Just got to watch this. It's nice that they're there promoting the game and that IGN gave them a segment but the interviewer seemed pretty clueless about the game.

Look forward to finally hearing about the next expansion.

Just got to watch this. It's nice that they're there promoting the game and that IGN gave them a segment but the interviewer seemed pretty clueless about the game.

Look forward to finally hearing about the next expansion.
You weren't kidding about him being clueless. Lots of awkward dead air too. lol

Glad to see EA give this game a spotlight again. Hopefully it becomes a trend and not a once in a while thing.

Top Bottom