• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Moff

yeah the stronholds are a great addition, I just love how they benefit from everything you can do in this game, just like the conquests.

too bad I dont really play anymore so they will stay empty until I find some time again to invest in this game.

Doing individual conquest objects doesn't earn a person anything other than the points for conquest correct? If a person can't get the weekly point requirement in time or involved in a guild going for the top 10, is their any point in attempting conquest objectives?

It sounds like a cool system but if there is only rewards for the top 10 guilds, why will smaller guilds even bother? There should be rewards obtainable by all, even if nothing special. The top 10 requirement per planet for guilds is kinda silly. Personal conquests don't help the guild really outside of giving it some points, but again if it's not a big top 10 scoring guild it really doesn't contribute anything.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Doing individual conquest objects doesn't earn a person anything other than the points for conquest correct? If a person can't get the weekly point requirement in time or involved in a guild going for the top 10, is their any point in attempting conquest objectives?

It sounds like a cool system but if there is only rewards for the top 10 guilds, why will smaller guilds even bother? There should be rewards obtainable by all, even if nothing special. The top 10 requirement per planet for guilds is kinda silly. Personal conquests don't help the guild really outside of giving it some points, but again if it's not a big top 10 scoring guild it really doesn't contribute anything.

You get the personal rewards for reaching 35k:

Gathering Lockbox (Universal)
Scrap: Scavenged
Scrap: Assorted Droid Parts
25k Credit Chip

You get the personal rewards for reaching 35k:

Gathering Lockbox (Universal)
Scrap: Scavenged
Scrap: Assorted Droid Parts
25k Credit Chip

That's what I mean though, you need to do alot to even reach 35k, for not so special reward. Guilds only get rewards for scoring in the top 10, so why would smaller guilds even bother to try anything?

There should be at least small rewards for doing each objective as incentive, while top scorers get a big bonus. But with only 10 guilds able to get rewards, many guilds are just not going to bother. Individual players can attempt to earn their own rewards but the rewards don't seem worth it.

For larger guilds and such its a cool system if they are going to attempt, but it also seems like something many will bother to even try because of lackluster rewards.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
That's what I mean though, you need to do alot to even reach 35k, for not so special reward. Guilds only get rewards for scoring in the top 10, so why would smaller guilds even bother to try anything?

There should be at least small rewards for doing each objective as incentive, while top scorers get a big bonus. But with only 10 guilds able to get rewards, many guilds are just not going to bother. Individual players can attempt to earn their own rewards but the rewards don't seem worth it.

For larger guilds and such its a cool system if they are going to attempt, but it also seems like something many will bother to even try because of lackluster rewards.

We'll have to see how it shakes out. Right now there are 3 planets to conquer so 30 slots available to get rewards. Maybe not really small guilds but mediums guilds should have fighting chance. I believe they said the number of planets available to conquer will vary as well so other weeks will have more slots with rewards.

I'm sure they have a good idea how many guilds will be able to afford ships.

Alur

Initial thoughts:

- Neater than expected. Had some fun messing with the decorations.

- Your guild ship looks like Esseles.

- Money is being printed at Bioware HQ. These packs will probably outsell the last few like gangbusters.

- I still wish there was some endgame content in this patch, but it's definitely a time consumer regardless.

We'll have to see how it shakes out. Right now there are 3 planets to conquer so 30 slots available to get rewards. Maybe not really small guilds but mediums guilds should have fighting chance. I believe they said the number of planets available to conquer will vary as well so other weeks will have more slots with rewards.

I'm sure they have a good idea how many guilds will be able to afford ships.

Still only 30 guilds a month can get rewards is going to be a big turn off for many guilds I imagine. Folks will want to get into bigger guilds or just won't bother to try and compete with the big ones. And if personal conquests don't give any meaningful reward it's going to also kill player enthusiasm. Everyone should have something of value they are going for with this.

Initial thoughts:

- Neater than expected. Had some fun messing with the decorations.

- Your guild ship looks like Esseles.

- Money is being printed at Bioware HQ. These packs will probably outsell the last few like gangbusters.

- I still wish there was some endgame content in this patch, but it's definitely a time consumer regardless.

Well with new level increase coming soon and expansion they are not going to bother with endgame at this point. Which of course I think is not the smartest thing since theres been such a content gap for endgame now that was a bit too big.

Moff

and its even cross realm
of all the things they could do cross realm, they chose something that would have been much better server exclusive

the manaan flashpoint is pretty good though. looks very nice and good boss design. best of the tactical ones so far in my opinion.

StudioTan

and its even cross realm
of all the things they could do cross realm, they chose something that would have been much better server exclusive

the manaan flashpoint is pretty good though. looks very nice and good boss design. best of the tactical ones so far in my opinion.

It's not cross realm. Are you talking about the @ Whatever after the guild names? Those were from the server merges.

Alur

Still only 30 guilds a month can get rewards is going to be a big turn off for many guilds I imagine. Folks will want to get into bigger guilds or just won't bother to try and compete with the big ones. And if personal conquests don't give any meaningful reward it's going to also kill player enthusiasm. Everyone should have something of value they are going for with this.

IMO (and I know lots of folks disagree) driving people into larger guilds in this game is the best for the game at this point given the population...assuming it works, which it appears to be doing on Jedi Covenant over the last week or so.

The biggest killer of MMOs after a lack of content is lack of people to play with. It's led to me quitting WoW a few times, SWTOR at least three times, ESO, Wildstar, etc. Large guilds ensures there are plenty of names online for you to party with if you so desire, at least. Other than tradition, I don't see any reason an 8 man raiding group can't join an established guild and make new friends + keep their raid group. I've seen it happen several times in SWTOR.

I think the "only top ten" choice could be an issue, like you, but if it drives people to form larger collectives I can only see it as a good thing.

and its even cross realm

It's not cross realm. Are you talking about the @ Whatever after the guild names? Those were from the server merges.

Yeah. As StudioTan said, that's just leftover server names from the mergers near as I can tell. We were second on the list (first pub guild) on Jedi Covenant, and two of the guilds listed were Canderous Ordo which no longer exists.

IMO (and I know lots of folks disagree) driving people into larger guilds in this game is the best for the game at this point given the population...assuming it works, which it appears to be doing on Jedi Covenant over the last week or so.

The biggest killer of MMOs after a lack of content is lack of people to play with. It's led to me quitting WoW a few times, SWTOR at least three times, ESO, Wildstar, etc. Large guilds ensures there are plenty of names online for you to party with if you so desire, at least. Other than tradition, I don't see any reason an 8 man raiding group can't join an established guild and make new friends + keep their raid group. I've seen it happen several times in SWTOR.

I think the "only top ten" choice could be an issue, like you, but if it drives people to form larger collectives I can only see it as a good thing.

I don't see how pushing for a handful of large guilds really is a good thing, and the game is not exactly dying for players. Getting players involved in guilds is important, but they should all have chances.

And in causing guilds to break down into other guilds, what happens is you actually piss off many players who see their guilds go down, friendships split, etc, and they end up quitting.

The whole only 30 winning guilds get rewards is an awful idea. There should be at least some reward obtainable for all other guilds who reach a specific point similar to personal rewards, instead all thats going to happen is the same 30 or so big guilds are going to consistently win the conquests killing any participation from everyone else. If everyone had a chance to earn something, then it would give all guilds and incentive to play conquests which is FAR more important for the game where you have tons of players actively doing tasks around the game world.

Same thing happened with rated pvp, the same teams dominated which killed any enthusiasm for other players to participate, making the whole ranked pvp scene die out.

Alur

I don't see how pushing for a handful of large guilds really is a good thing, and the game is not exactly dying for players. Getting players involved in guilds is important, but they should all have chances.

And in causing guilds to break down into other guilds, what happens is you actually piss off many players who see their guilds go down, friendships split, etc, and they end up quitting.

I don't see how it splits up friendships. You either go together, or you don't go.

The game can certainly use more players. Just because it's not barren like it was pre-mega merger doesn't mean it's great. The fleet numbers are definitely quite a bit smaller than they were even earlier this year. It's not dying, but players have more players to play with can't be a bad thing IMO.

Folks that don't want it can stay in their smaller guild.

The whole only 30 winning guilds get rewards is an awful idea. There should be at least some reward obtainable for all other guilds who reach a specific point similar to personal rewards, instead all thats going to happen is the same 30 or so big guilds are going to consistently win the conquests killing any participation from everyone else. If everyone had a chance to earn something, then it would give all guilds and incentive to play conquests which is FAR more important for the game where you have tons of players actively doing tasks around the game world.

It is a bad idea, I agree. But people will peter completely out on this within a month tops, and probably more like 2 weeks. It happens in every game. It's not going to be that hard to get on the leaderboard if you have a raid team of active players, IMO. You might be on the bottom of the leaderboard, but you can get on there. It's just not going to happen right this second.

It shouldn't be this way, though, you're right.

Same thing happened with rated pvp, the same teams dominated which killed any enthusiasm for other players to participate, making the whole ranked pvp scene die out.

That's a different thing entirely, though. People PVP to just PVP. There's satisfaction from gear, from beating others, from getting better, and from rewards. This conquest thing doesn't have the incentives to keep the same guilds gunning for it directly like they are right now.

It's possible those big guilds who raid multiples a week and such will still have a decent advantage, but any guild who has a full raid team or more should be able to get there if they want.

StudioTan

There is so much to do in this patch I feel a little overwhelmed. Not the least of which is the fact that it gives you reasons to do so much of the previous content.

Also made a bunch of money selling the furniture stuff since I'd been collecting mats for the past month. Prices are already dropping fast though.

Hnnnnngh. That Manaan nostalgia. I just ran around taking screenshots for like the first 10 minutes I was there.

The flashpoint was pretty good, too. I'm kind of curious to see if they'll be adding more content to Manaan. Having an actual planet with only one quest on it seems a little silly.

So how do you get the imperial troop npc? The stronghold windows in edit mode says the source is the warzone vendors, but when I go to them, none seem to have the npc for sale.

So how do you get the imperial troop npc? The stronghold windows in edit mode says the source is the warzone vendors, but when I go to them, none seem to have the npc for sale.
There's a separate Warzone and Space decorations vendor on the opposite side of where the Stronghold vendors are in the Crew Skills quarter.

Draxal

There's a separate Warzone and Space decorations vendor on the opposite side of where the Stronghold vendors are in the Crew Skills quarter.

Picked it up to thanks to this.

Wish there was more npcs available and they raised the limit (I understand why the npc limit is there though).

Syf

Banned
Today was the most fun I've ever had with this game. Running with the guild hitting conquest targets and raiding, even had some spontaneous world pvp break out on Alderaan. I love this update.

squadr0n

Just put in my app for the torgaf guild! Cant wait to get back into this game. Ive got a sith inquisitor level 38 but I applied with my Jedi Knight Guardian.

kmz

Neo Member
Yeah. As StudioTan said, that's just leftover server names from the mergers near as I can tell. We were second on the list (first pub guild) on Jedi Covenant, and two of the guilds listed were Canderous Ordo which no longer exists.

Saw a sage named "Pizzil" or something from Starsiders in some warzones last night... I'm guessing that wasn't you?

Stronghold stuff is alot of fun, love all the little trophies from past achievement. Also it's now making my GF and me want to run lot of the old content and go planet hopping to try and get the unique furniture/deco drops that are now everywhere

Alur

Today was the most fun I've ever had with this game. Running with the guild hitting conquest targets and raiding, even had some spontaneous world pvp break out on Alderaan. I love this update.

I spent more time off the fleet doing things last night between WZ queues than I have in ages. It is nice to have a purpose to go back.

Saw a sage named "Pizzil" or something from Starsiders in some warzones last night... I'm guessing that wasn't you?

Nah, but he's a friend. He is one of the original folks from Keller's Void too, though. One of the original PVP superstars I guess you could say from back in the day. Me and Bruta were in Starsiders for a bit there til Wahnsinnige quit again and everyone disappeared. I'm on Wilend, scoundrel heals.

Stronghold stuff is alot of fun, love all the little trophies from past achievement. Also it's now making my GF and me want to run lot of the old content and go planet hopping to try and get the unique furniture/deco drops that are now everywhere

I was unaware that there were going to be drops everywhere...I do love this a lot. We are planning on going through all the flashpoints again (which I've never done at least 1/3rd of them the FIRST time) along with the older raids and things of that sort.

It's not quite the same as new warzones or a new raid, but it's pretty damn good for free-ninety-nine.

I was unaware that there were going to be drops everywhere...I do love this a lot. We are planning on going through all the flashpoints again (which I've never done at least 1/3rd of them the FIRST time) along with the older raids and things of that sort.

It's not quite the same as new warzones or a new raid, but it's pretty damn good for free-ninety-nine.

Yea for those into doing a stronghold, you will want to go around doing old content over. Also almost all the planet heroics have chances of dropping cool decorations as well. We took a break from the game for Wildstar, ESO, and lack of updates, but now we are excited to play. With 2.10 soon and hopefully the expansion, things might be looking very much up.

Draxal

Yea for those into doing a stronghold, you will want to go around doing old content over. Also almost all the planet heroics have chances of dropping cool decorations as well. We took a break from the game for Wildstar, ESO, and lack of updates, but now we are excited to play. With 2.10 soon and hopefully the expansion, things might be looking very much up.

I'm just trying to get as many imperial guardsman/republic troopers as possible.

Alur

I know that feel. I did ESO and Wildstar too. SWTOR houses seem more customizable and accessible (and definitely larger at start than I ever had in WS), but they don't look quite as nice.

It's something I never thought I'd care about but here I am trying to get guildmates and stuff to run old content for random loots. These MMOs do strange things to ya.

aww yiss guess who's back

I spied you. Maybe I'll see ya for some PVP one of these nights.

EDIT: Draxal, what are the guardsman made from/where are they bought from?

Draxal

I know that feel. I did ESO and Wildstar too. SWTOR houses seem more customizable and accessible (and definitely larger at start than I ever had in WS), but they don't look quite as nice.

It's something I never thought I'd care about but here I am trying to get guildmates and stuff to run old content for random loots. These MMOs do strange things to ya.

I spied you. Maybe I'll see ya for some PVP one of these nights.

EDIT: Draxal, what are the guardsman made from/where are they bought from?

200 warzone commendations from the vendor.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I'm kind of considering dumping 1800 of my 4k or so cartel points to transfer a char just so i have all my legacy shit on another server. Hrmm.

Patch tomorrow. No notes.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=7619407#edit7619407

On August 21st, all game servers will be unavailable while we perform maintenance. Patch 2.9a will be implemented during this downtime. Details are as follows:

Date: Thursday, August 21, 2014
Duration: 3 hours
Time: 3AM PDT (10AM GMT) - 6AM PDT (1PM GMT)

Thank you for your patience as we maintain service for Star Wars™: The Old Republic™.

-----
I'm kind of considering dumping 1800 of my 4k or so cartel points to transfer a char just so i have all my legacy shit on another server. Hrmm.
Use a referral link and get a transfer for free if you're preferred.

Heysoos

Just put in my app for the torgaf guild! Cant wait to get back into this game. Ive got a sith inquisitor level 38 but I applied with my Jedi Knight Guardian.

If you're playing today, let me know and I'll send you an invite to the guild if you haven't already received one.

Well no... For this WEEK it is 30 guilds. Next week it could be an event that has another 3 planets up for grabs or all 12 or an event with anywhere in between. So at any one week we have somewhere between 30-120 guilds getting those rewards. Some servers i doubt would even have 120 guilds that have cap ships. My guild is a medium sized guild and even we are close to getting on the leader board this week (even though we are likely to fall off and not be anywhere near it at the end)

They got to add the red imperial guards eventually. Course we are limited by that 25 NPC limit :(

Personally i still expect this to rise come a future patch and the initial burst of people creating strongholds passes.

Even though little new content was added, conquest has changed this game in the short-medium term at least. Old content is relevant again, we are now active in world pvp which has not happened in months (years?) and people are just more excited about the game in general, especially since 2.10 is right around the corner.

Draxal

I'm liking the coruscant/dk apartment over the nar shadaa one. Since I don't play enough to afford the tatooine one, how does that one compare?

Alur

I'm liking the coruscant/dk apartment over the nar shadaa one. Since I don't play enough to afford the tatooine one, how does that one compare?

I'm liking Nar Shaddaa the most right now. Tatooine is almost _too_ big.

I did Nar Shaddaa to something like 17%, realized I could get a Coruscant apartment for 5,000 credits and went and took it all up...

PSA: If you're not very observant (like me) and were a subscriber during the necessary period you can get a Coruscant apartment for 5k credits. Discount!

...partially because it's different and partially because I don't love the brown/green of Nar Shaddaa houses.

On the downside, expanding your lovely Coruscant apartment is more expensive than this Dulfy list speculates. Way more. For me, though, I don't have enough stuff to fill like 15 rooms at the moment. So just a few to start is great.

Last night we did a story mode and nightmare guild run through Karagga's Palace for the Hutt flag, gold plated Hutt, and Statue of Karagga for our guild flagship. That statue has to be one of the top ten decorations in the game currently. We were successful:

uEqSgiu.jpg

EDIT: Apparently Coruscant IS cheap and I have reading comprehension issues.

Draxal

I did Nar Shaddaa to something like 17%, realized I could get a Coruscant apartment for 5,000 credits and went and took it all up...

PSA: If you're not very observant (like me) and were a subscriber during the necessary period you can get a Coruscant apartment for 5k credits. Discount!

...partially because it's different and partially because I don't love the brown/green of Nar Shaddaa houses.

On the downside, expanding your lovely Coruscant apartment is more expensive than this Dulfy list speculates. Way more. For me, though, I don't have enough stuff to fill like 15 rooms at the moment. So just a few to start is great.

Last night we did a story mode and nightmare guild run through Karagga's Palace for the Hutt flag, gold plated Hutt, and Statue of Karagga for our guild flagship. That statue has to be one of the top ten decorations in the game currently. We were successful:

The duly list is correct for that apartment, the only really expensive (and if you play much more than me 1 million is trivial) was the balcony. The rest of the apartment is 50k and less to expand except for the garage which was 250k.

Alur

The duly list is correct for that apartment, the only really expensive (and if you play much more than me 1 million is trivial) was the balcony. The rest of the apartment is 50k and less to expand except for the garage which was 250k.

LOL! Wow. <3.

I was looking at my total credits in the bottom corner of the prompt, not the credits it costs in the center of the prompt. Wow. Much shame.

I take it all back. Coruscant be cheap for such a crowded city. NYC should be ashamed.

Giolon

One if the upgrades cost 80K instead of the 50k dulfy listed, but other than that the prices were about right. I think some of the CC prices were off by 100 too, at least they were on the first day.

StudioTan

One of the best things they did with this patch was basically making all crafting mats (except for grade 1) useful. I just wish the grade 6 mats had bountiful and rich missions.

Top Bottom