• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Alur

One of the best things they did with this patch was basically making all crafting mats (except for grade 1) useful. I just wish the grade 6 mats had bountiful and rich missions.

Yeah I need to quit being so lazy and start sending my guys out.

They pretty much made everything useful again, to a degree, which is a feat in and of itself. Old planets, flashpoints, operations.

I've never seen a better gold sink in a game than this. I really wonder what it'll do to the economy since there are already so many credits out there.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
They're used in fabrication kits (1-3 levels); and you use those kits to trade in for furniture (3 doesn't buy 2 and 1 furniture, only 1 buys 1).

Just to expand on that, there are 3 kinds of crafted items that are exchanged for furniture and there are 3 levels for each kind, Industrial, Synthetic and Universal. Within each of those there are MK-1, MK-2 and MK-3 versions.

MK-1 uses grade 2/3 mats, MK-2 uses 4/5 and MK-3 uses 6/9. Each crafting profession can make either Industrial OR Synthetic and they can all make Universal. Universals require Industrial and Synthetic prefabs along with 2 extra components, a Fabricator Crystal and a Fabricator Design.

So for example, I wanted to add a cargo hold to my Stronghold, to do that I needed 3 Universal MK-2 Prefabs. So to make that I had to craft 3 each of the Industrial Prefabs, Synthetic Prefabs, Fabricator Crystals and Fabricator Designs. I had to do that with my Armormech and my Synthweaver.

There is a good list here which shows all the crafting materials.

One of the best things they did with this patch was basically making all crafting mats (except for grade 1) useful. I just wish the grade 6 mats had bountiful and rich missions.

I know, i wish I'd bought vast amounts of purple silks as soon as the patch hit the PTS. They must have gone up 10000%.

What are the best dailies to do now?

Dulfy very recently put up a new dailies guide:

http://dulfy.net/2014/08/11/swtor-daily-credits-guide/

These are just base credit values though and don't take into account any gear/loot/rep items you can sell and get extra credits out of.

If you're running with a group, Black Hole can be done in under 10 minutes for about 70k, ditto with Czerka for about 50k.

Solo, Illum and Section X and Czerka are good bets.

Man, this is driving me nuts. I'm trying to collect Manaan Research Data, and I've done the flashpoint about 5 times now, and I haven't won a single item. Not a single damned item. It's frustrating as hell, and making me not want to play this anymore.

Man, this is driving me nuts. I'm trying to collect Manaan Research Data, and I've done the flashpoint about 5 times now, and I haven't won a single item. Not a single damned item. It's frustrating as hell, and making me not want to play this anymore.

It is NOWHERE near as bad as the tyhton/korriban ones. Most times you will go through them without a single one dropping yet alone having a chance to roll on it. At least the mannan data seems to drop much more frequently and you have a chance of winning it. My advice if you want a guaranteed one is to do Forged Alliances Part 2 on multiple toons as each time you complete it you get 1 as a mission reward.

Also apparently the initials for the title for next expansion is
SOE

One of the best guesses i saw on Reddit?

Storm over Endor: Treek Goes Home

It is NOWHERE near as bad as the tyhton/korriban ones. Most times you will go through them without a single one dropping yet alone having a chance to roll on it. At least the mannan data seems to drop much more frequently and you have a chance of winning it. My advice if you want a guaranteed one is to do Forged Alliances Part 2 on multiple toons as each time you complete it you get 1 as a mission reward.

Also apparently the initials for the title for next expansion is
SOE

One of the best guesses i saw on Reddit?

Storm over Endor: Treek Goes Home

True that they drop more commonly, but it doesn't really matter, since I just can't get them. :(

I might just end up selling what I do have. I was wanting the little submarine thing, but it would take waaaaay to long. The Research Data items are selling for a fuckton in the GTN, so I could walk away fairly wealthy...

True that they drop more commonly, but it doesn't really matter, since I just can't get them. :(

I might just end up selling what I do have. I was wanting the little submarine thing, but it would take waaaaay to long. The Research Data items are selling for a fuckton in the GTN, so I could walk away fairly wealthy...

True but i only have 3 of them and will hang onto them as i know eventually i will get enough for the mount. It will just take a while :p

Well if it lets me
blast some ewoks
, I'm all for it.

Personally thought i would be blasting gungans before ewoks but i am fine with either :p

Heysoos

Not gonna lie, logged in at around 8:30cst today and I'm kind of sad with how dead the fleet seems. Waited for around 30 minutes for a PVP pop and got nothing so I just closed the game. If things don't pick up soon, I may not be subbed past the month I just subbed for recently. With the way my schedule is, if the game is dead when I play, might as well not sub.

Not gonna lie, logged in at around 8:30cst today and I'm kind of sad with how dead the fleet seems. Waited for around 30 minutes for a PVP pop and got nothing so I just closed the game. If things don't pick up soon, I may not be subbed past the month I just subbed for recently. With the way my schedule is, if the game is dead when I play, might as well not sub.
Is this on JC? Harbinger is always bumpin' with people on it. I can't tell you what the exact PvP queue times are though.

Ah, just after bitching about not getting any items, I did a Manaan run and won 3 Research Datas and Duelist Implant MK2.

I felt so bad about winning every single item that I offered the Research Data to everyone else, but nobody took. So I'm one happy dewd.

Milly79

BC ain't baddddd

squadr0n

Hey im going to hop on for about an hour or hour and a half till later, If anyone from the GAF Guild is on JC could you please send me an invite. My Jedi Guardian's name is Hideokojima

Alur

I dunno man, you sure you were queued? Even at the 1 PM CST (so 2 PM server) and later it's only like 5 minutes max. Last night we started queueing up at 10 PM CST and there were at least 20 pub PVPers around the terminal. Played four games, all pub vs. pub before guild gathered to start killing commanders.

The pub vs pub is pretty rare due the number of imps queueing, and I checked there and it was the usual crew on that side too. I'd chalk that up to bad luck. It's always fairly quick/instant every night til 12:30 or 1 CST for me unless someone AFKs and you get out of line.

I've spent way too much time decorating.

Et tu?

Too much time and too many creds. I need to give it up, but I can't stop won't stop.

Can never get ops to pop even with the newer rotation system they implemented. Was hoping that they new story mode rotations with the bolster would make it alot easier to get into random pug raids but nah, hours in queues and nothing.

Heysoos

I dunno man, you sure you were queued? Even at the 1 PM CST (so 2 PM server) and later it's only like 5 minutes max. Last night we started queueing up at 10 PM CST and there were at least 20 pub PVPers around the terminal. Played four games, all pub vs. pub before guild gathered to start killing commanders.

The pub vs pub is pretty rare due the number of imps queueing, and I checked there and it was the usual crew on that side too. I'd chalk that up to bad luck. It's always fairly quick/instant every night til 12:30 or 1 CST for me unless someone AFKs and you get out of line.

Et tu?

Too much time and too many creds. I need to give it up, but I can't stop won't stop.

Maybe I got of those glitch queues where it won't put you in matches.

Anyways, go GAF go! gotta secure that top 10 finish in Voss

kmz

Neo Member
Can never get ops to pop even with the newer rotation system they implemented. Was hoping that they new story mode rotations with the bolster would make it alot easier to get into random pug raids but nah, hours in queues and nothing.

A lot of people are just full group queuing for that, I think. I know in our guild we were having people get lockouts to the last or second from last boss and then rotating multiple groups in to get the comms/conquest points.

And yeah, I haven't been PVPing as much lately but pops seem pretty healthy on JC.

Alur

It's a little depressing Empire-Gaf is so little compared to its big brother on the Republic side.

We had our moment in the sun prior to the first big server merge.

And that's just an alt guild now for the pub side players anyway, definitely shouldn't be in it if you're looking for regulars.

After that string of bad luck, I've had a fantastic string of good luck. Did my first Op, and won like half the items in it. I got 5 Op gear tokens, plus a few pieces just from drops, so I finally have all my gear 162+.

Not only that, I had the weekly for the Op, plus the GF reward, so I got tons of Ultimate comms in my pocket.

And I did it all in time to do it again this week. Though, to be honest... Ops are a little too long for my taste. Especially when I feel like I'm dragging the team down. Every fight I think "Aw man, this time I'm gonna screw it up, I just know it."

Thankfully most of the gaffes committed were by the tank pulling when we weren't ready.

After that string of bad luck, I've had a fantastic string of good luck. Did my first Op, and won like half the items in it. I got 5 Op gear tokens, plus a few pieces just from drops, so I finally have all my gear 162+.

Not only that, I had the weekly for the Op, plus the GF reward, so I got tons of Ultimate comms in my pocket.

And I did it all in time to do it again this week. Though, to be honest... Ops are a little too long for my taste. Especially when I feel like I'm dragging the team down. Every fight I think "Aw man, this time I'm gonna screw it up, I just know it."

Thankfully most of the gaffes committed were by the tank pulling when we weren't ready.

From the sounds of it you did S&V which is by far and away the longest ops in the game. Don't give up on them because of length. Queue for Dread Fortress/Dread Palace as that is (should) be quick and easy.

From the sounds of it you did S&V which is by far and away the longest ops in the game. Don't give up on them because of length. Queue for Dread Fortress/Dread Palace as that is (should) be quick and easy.

Oh man, you don't know what this means to me. lol.

I tried Dread Fortress once, but got wrecked on the... Gate Commander? I think that's what his name was. Second boss of it.

Hopefully it will be the Op with the bonus when the week resets. I'd like to line my pocket with Ultimate comms again.

kmz

Neo Member
Oh man, you don't know what this means to me. lol.

I tried Dread Fortress once, but got wrecked on the... Gate Commander? I think that's what his name was. Second boss of it.

Hopefully it will be the Op with the bonus when the week resets. I'd like to line my pocket with Ultimate comms again.

Draxus (the Gate Commander) can be a bit tricky. Even in story mode, there's a lot of mechanics, though gear helps with ignoring some of those.

This article is pretty spot on with my view on the guild planetary conquests: http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/0...n-swtor-conquests-are-good-but-not-there-yet/

Ton of work for crappy reward, and only the larger guilds will ever get any reward. Smaller guilds can spend ton of time trying to compete, but they earn nothing in return as they can't compete with large guilds, so what is the point of even trying planetary conquests?

The rewards should be larger, and everyone should get something for participating at least to entice players. As the editor of that article pointed out, their guild has no interest in doing conquests anymore.

For such a robust system Bioware put into the game, it will be a damn shame that majority of the player base is likely going to be excluded from it or turned away from even playing the content. Seems like a massive waste of time and investment on everyones part.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
This article is pretty spot on with my view on the guild planetary conquests: http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/0...n-swtor-conquests-are-good-but-not-there-yet/

Ton of work for crappy reward, and only the larger guilds will ever get any reward. Smaller guilds can spend ton of time trying to compete, but they earn nothing in return as they can't compete with large guilds, so what is the point of even trying planetary conquests?

The rewards should be larger, and everyone should get something for participating at least to entice players. As the editor of that article pointed out, their guild has no interest in doing conquests anymore.

For such a robust system Bioware put into the game, it will be a damn shame that majority of the player base is likely going to be excluded from it or turned away from even playing the content. Seems like a massive waste of time and investment on everyones part.

I agree, it's a great basis for a system but it needs tweaks. I don't mind having a leaderboards since getting to the top is a good goal for bringing a guild together but it does nothing for those guilds that have no hope of competing.

What they need to do is add something similar to what they have for individuals. Make it so that you get rewards for reaching a goal with your guild regardless of if you're on the leaderboards or not. I don't think things should be just given to guilds but making rewards at 250k, 500k and 1M points seems like it would still give small guilds something to work towards.

Hopefully they will keep tweaking it since I think overall people like the concept.

I agree, it's a great basis for a system but it needs tweaks. I don't mind having a leaderboards since getting to the top is a good goal for bringing a guild together but it does nothing for those guilds that have no hope of competing.

What they need to do is add something similar to what they have for individuals. Make it so that you get rewards for reaching a goal with your guild regardless of if you're on the leaderboards or not. I don't think things should be just given to guilds but making rewards at 250k, 500k and 1M points seems like it would still give small guilds something to work towards.

Hopefully they will keep tweaking it since I think overall people like the concept.

Yea all guilds should be able to get a reward even if not in top 10. But also as the article makes not of, the rewards for even the top guilds is not really even worth the effort. It's a fun system they developed, but the rewards all around are bad for even the ones who score in the top 10 for the amount of effort they have to put in. While other smaller guilds are just not going to bother.

As you mention, there should be a personal like goal for guilds to entice them. The whole system overall needs improved reward incentives. The small guild I'm part of already decided it wasn't even going to bother with the system since it's pointless for us.

Neat feature, but the way it's designed only few folks will even take part in it.

Matchew

I sub to this a few months back for a month but got real busy and couldn't play a lot during that time so now I'm in preferred status is the only difference less exp. points? Or is it worth to sub to play the story up to 55?

StudioTan

I sub to this a few months back for a month but got real busy and couldn't play a lot during that time so now I'm in preferred status is the only difference less exp. points? Or is it worth to sub to play the story up to 55?

If you just want to do the stories you can definitely do that as just preferred. Just get some XP boosters and always log out in a rest area (cantina, ship or fleet). You'll be locked out from some gear without buying the unlock and you'll have the credit cap to deal with but you don't need great gear or lots of credits just to get to 50.

StudioTan

Why log out in rest areas?

Ignore that, subs get an XP boost from rested XP they accumulate from staying in rest areas but I guess preferred don't get that. Sorry!

Matchew

Ignore that, subs get an XP boost from rested XP they accumulate from staying in rest areas but I guess preferred don't get that. Sorry!

Oh ok, I didn't know that even when I did sub. Thanks for the help, I think I'm going to sub again at around level 40 to get the boost and the expansion pack.

Oh ok, I didn't know that even when I did sub. Thanks for the help, I think I'm going to sub again at around level 40 to get the boost and the expansion pack.

Rested experience only affects kills, you get double xp. It doesn't change quest rewards.

I bought one of those crazy expensive ships for my Coruscant SH and then found out they don't fit on the pad outside. So now I have to move to Nar Shaddaa!

You think that once Strongholds is available for F2P, they'll offer discounts on expansions for sub people? I sorta want to get the balcony for the Nar Shaddaa stronghold, but the thought of possibly getting a discount in the future makes me not want to get it now. It'd pretty much wipe out my whole money stash. Not that money is all that useful after 55 anyway, though...

At the same time, I'd kind of like to get the Dromund Kaas stronghold all opened up, too.

You think that once Strongholds is available for F2P, they'll offer discounts on expansions for sub people? I sorta want to get the balcony for the Nar Shaddaa stronghold, but the thought of possibly getting a discount in the future makes me not want to get it now. It'd pretty much wipe out my whole money stash. Not that money is all that useful after 55 anyway, though...

At the same time, I'd kind of like to get the Dromund Kaas stronghold all opened up, too.

The prices wont go down for subs. The prices for F2P players will if anything just be higher than sub prices. Whenever they put in any F2P stuff they simply raise prices for them while subs get a cheaper price, but they haven't said theres going to be price differences yet, only thing is that subs get more prestige bonus thingie.

Only can hope for prices to come down in general for housing stuff, but I doubt they will do it with people going to be severely pissed when they spent millions on this stuff only to have any steep discounts come in.

Crappy reward is a little subjective. No it is not something that will make me go OMG I NEED TO CONQUEST TILL MY EYES BLEED but the flagship plans, credits and purple jawa scrap across every toon in guild is well worth it for me personally.

Plus one major thing to keep in mind is that the competitiveness of the ladder will decrease/increase solely based on what event is on during the week, with some weeks having up to 15 planets open on the leaderboard, while others only 4. With Balmorra being split into Pub and Empire, effectively 5 planets and Corellia offering disgusting bonuses, if a small guild wanted to they could easily get on the Corellia leaderboard this week.

Crappy reward is a little subjective. No it is not something that will make me go OMG I NEED TO CONQUEST TILL MY EYES BLEED but the flagship plans, credits and purple jawa scrap across every toon in guild is well worth it for me personally.

Plus one major thing to keep in mind is that the competitiveness of the ladder will decrease/increase solely based on what event is on during the week, with some weeks having up to 15 planets open on the leaderboard, while others only 4. With Balmorra being split into Pub and Empire, effectively 5 planets and Corellia offering disgusting bonuses, if a small guild wanted to they could easily get on the Corellia leaderboard this week.

That is possible, but many guilds are simply not going to bother, and as with any mmo, when you fail to hook players early on or you fuck up the introduction of content, it tends to get pushed to the side and ignored by many. The article is spot on about the rewards to me, it's a ton of work for pitiful rewards. And as the article again points out and many others have stated on the main boards, why bother when you spend tons of time and end up not getting anything for it? The personal rewards themselves are pretty meh it doesn't really give me any incentive to even bother. I can get my personal goal for conquest, but nothing about it makes me want to do it as my time can earn me far more credits and mats doing other things. Also one of the main rewards is as noted again in the article pretty pointless to earn multiple times because of the node gathering restrictions.

The article writer and others feel the same, and what they are doing? Ignoring conquests, this isn't something that might happen, it's already happening. The whole system is incredibly flawed, as with any MMO system you need to have proper incentive for peoples time or the content gets ignored and abandoned when it's not worth the time. SWTOR is full of content that people aren't running or bothering with anymore because of this. Conquests were a great idea as they get people doing old content, that's a great idea in concept, but it's a big time sink, and you need to properly reward the players.

The rewards dont have to be made zomg awesome, but you need to give everyone a fair shake or goals to bother with. Over time big guilds are likely going to not give a crap about conquests once their guild ship is all tricked out, but that is going to take time, and by then will anyone care anymore? As I said, in MMO's players tend to be unforgiving and once they get a bad taste in an experience, they simply ignore it despite attempts by devs to get people to care down the line.

That is possible, but many guilds are simply not going to bother, and as with any mmo, when you fail to hook players early on or you fuck up the introduction of content, it tends to get pushed to the side and ignored by many. The article is spot on about the rewards to me, it's a ton of work for pitiful rewards. And as the article again points out and many others have stated on the main boards, why bother when you spend tons of time and end up not getting anything for it? The personal rewards themselves are pretty meh it doesn't really give me any incentive to even bother. I can get my personal goal for conquest, but nothing about it makes me want to do it as my time can earn me far more credits and mats doing other things. Also one of the main rewards is as noted again in the article pretty pointless to earn multiple times because of the node gathering restrictions.

The article writer and others feel the same, and what they are doing? Ignoring conquests, this isn't something that might happen, it's already happening. The whole system is incredibly flawed, as with any MMO system you need to have proper incentive for peoples time or the content gets ignored and abandoned when it's not worth the time. SWTOR is full of content that people aren't running or bothering with anymore because of this. Conquests were a great idea as they get people doing old content, that's a great idea in concept, but it's a big time sink, and you need to properly reward the players.

The rewards dont have to be made zomg awesome, but you need to give everyone a fair shake or goals to bother with. Over time big guilds are likely going to not give a crap about conquests once their guild ship is all tricked out, but that is going to take time, and by then will anyone care anymore? As I said, in MMO's players tend to be unforgiving and once they get a bad taste in an experience, they simply ignore it despite attempts by devs to get people to care down the line.

Guess what happens though when the medium-smaller guilds stop trying to grind points though, especially when there is more then 3/4 planets. They will see the low scores that are being put on the leaderboard and will go - hey you know what this might actually be achievable.

Not going to lie and say smaller guilds have a chance when there is only 3-4 planets up for grabs but boy when events roll around with 5+ planets the spread of the guilds even on a server as populated as mine (Harbinger) i can see plenty of openings for smaller guilds on Corellia leaderboards in just its second week.

Sure the rewards could be better but at the same time if they are too good then you get people complaining about mega guilds always topping the Top 10's more then they are now and would only move to solidify the current thinking of go big or go home, when in fact it is generally a select 10-20 people in those guilds earning the majority of the points.

Guess what happens though when the medium-smaller guilds stop trying to grind points though, especially when there is more then 3/4 planets. They will see the low scores that are being put on the leaderboard and will go - hey you know what this might actually be achievable.

Not going to lie and say smaller guilds have a chance when there is only 3-4 planets up for grabs but boy when events roll around with 5+ planets the spread of the guilds even on a server as populated as mine (Harbinger) i can see plenty of openings for smaller guilds on Corellia leaderboards in just its second week.

Sure the rewards could be better but at the same time if they are too good then you get people complaining about mega guilds always topping the Top 10's more then they are now and would only move to solidify the current thinking of go big or go home, when in fact it is generally a select 10-20 people in those guilds earning the majority of the points.

They don't need to worry about people complaining if everyone was able to achieve something. That is the whole problem with the system. Either you score in the top 10, or you wasted a week of activities for pretty much no reward. Like Studio mentioned, there should be an obtainable goal just like the personal goals for all the guilds. Top 10 guilds for a planet then get a special bonus worth their effort. Right now a person only will put in their contribution up to their personal goal of points and have no reason to contribute anymore to their guild. So again the smaller guilds are hurt as players have no personal reason to try harder than the larger guilds when they aren't getting anymore reward. Once I get my personal reward, why would I do anymore for my small guild who has no chance of getting in the top 10? They don't need to make the top rewards too good, what they need to focus on is making the content attractive to all players and have obtainable goals. Right now it's nothing but a massive wall for only select guilds. The article is from a player whose guild is basically saying "screw it" to conquests, lot of guilds are going to do that. It's their loss? Sure, but that is a huge waste of Bioware's time if they created a complex system that only a handful of players are going to be using and a system that is going to become more and more unused over time.

It's like ranked pvp, even though you dont rank in the top and get the neat rewards, you still are earning at least the coms for your time spent to get some new gear. The conquest system essentially is you either rank, or you wasted your week of time invested. The personal reward essentially limits how much participation a person is going to put in, a scalable system of reward would be far more efficient or at least a series of reward tiers to keep players going, and even if it isn't for the guild, players would at least be enticed to keep playing with friends also to score more points or themselves, which in turn helps the guild.

Top Bottom