• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Think I should just suck it up and level up an Imp if I want to enjoy PVP on off hours. So fucking useless these reps are.

The irony is I find I win more on my lowbie pubs than I do on my lowbie imps. At max level though imps rule on my server, there are just way more premades on that side at 55.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
do they let you change jobs yet?

been thinking about coming back but i dont want to play my vanguard :(

No, you can't change your class. You'd have to roll an alt.

Alur

Think I should just suck it up and level up an Imp if I want to enjoy PVP on off hours. So fucking useless these reps are.

You should've done that ages ago, either way! Always nice to be able to swap.

I think the PVP has dropped off a bit last two weeks versus where it was at because we are all so focused on conquest.

I know our guild is in a "life or death" battle with Hellbent over Ilum. Came back from 400k down this morning to be 430k in the lead tonight. I'm pretty sure the guild has just given up on raiding for the week in order to win this one planet.

Besides, what planet conqueror title is more awesome than Conqueror of Ilum, the former PVP headquarter in the old days? It's the ultimate PVP title lol.

do they let you change jobs yet?

been thinking about coming back but i dont want to play my vanguard :(

Nope, no class changes, but vanguards are pretty strong right now.

Is leveling any faster nowadays?

Compared to when was the last time you were playing the game? Since F2P transition yea leveling has gotten quicker for subs and there are more alternate activities that you can earn xp from like Starfighter, the recurring events like Bounty Hunting, Rackghoul, tactical fps. Subs got a general 10% xp increase across the board when the game went F2P. Makeb recently got it's xp rewards for exploration given a massive buff.

Also each planetary quest ending of a storyline gives players a consumable XP buff now, and also you can earn more xp buffs from bonus series planetary quest chains.

Legacy system also lets you purchase xp buffs for your characters that are small but permanent. So overall they have been increasing the leveling up speed. F2P players don't get all the benefits though.

Heysoos

Been having problems logging in all day. It keeps giving me errors. Have to restart the game like 10 times before it works.

StudioTan

Holy crap Makeb is easy now. I have a character who had just started at level 49 and the bolster took me from 10k health to 26k.

Heysoos

Not sure what they did to Sents/Maras, but man, I feel like I have much better survivability in less geared toons than I do on on my Sent.

Alur

Not sure what they did to Sents/Maras, but man, I feel like I have much better survivability in less geared toons than I do on on my Sent.

I have heard this from pretty much everybody. Seems they really got hosed unless you're one of the A+ ranked players, and even the few of them I've seen are squishier than they were.

That flashpoint nerf/maintenance coming down tomorrow is courtesy of our guild (and others), by the way. We figured out you could stealth to the end and invite others and get 12k conquest every 8-10 mins or so, kind of like how you see folks farming the instances solo anyway. The guild we passed (Hellbent) figured it out, started doing it as well, and complained to Bioware about it on the forums which you can read here.

Nerf was announced, we were still up 330k. They brought in folks from their sister imp guild and pumped their numbers to about 25-30+ running Ilum in that manner...they are now up by 1.2 million conquest points (from that 330k deficit at 4:00 PM CST) as of 9:00 PM CST.

We stopped doing the Ilum "bug" or whatever they are calling it about 4:30, but they have continued doing it even though they were the ones who complained about people using it. Gotta love it.

I think I'm done with conquest for a bit. Hell, I really don't even want to play anymore. Shady or not, there were a bunch of guilds using it and we put in a lot of time to get and maintain that lead...only for them to beg for a nerf and turn around and use it themselves once they got their way and knew we couldn't keep up once it went live.

TLDR: Medium sized guild figures out way to hang with the big boys. Big boys use their podcaster/community guy to complain to Bioware. Bioware rules the method as unintended and announces patch for tonight. Big boys decide to bring over their imp buddies to double up on the bug before it's patched after (A) complaining about it and (B) knowing we stopped using it and most importantly (C) already outnumbering us by about ten on a regular basis ensuring we couldn't keep up by conventional means if their lead was large enough.

That flashpoint nerf/maintenance coming down tomorrow is courtesy of our guild (and others), by the way. We figured out you could stealth to the end and invite others and get 12k conquest every 8-10 mins or so, kind of like how you see folks farming the instances solo anyway. The guild we passed (Hellbent) figured it out, started doing it as well, and complained to Bioware about it on the forums which you can read here.

Nerf was announced, we were still up 330k. They brought in folks from their sister imp guild and pumped their numbers to about 25-30+ running Ilum in that manner...they are now up by 1.2 million conquest points (from that 330k deficit at 4:00 PM CST) as of 9:00 PM CST.

We stopped doing the Ilum "bug" or whatever they are calling it about 4:30, but they have continued doing it even though they were the ones who complained about people using it. Gotta love it.

I think I'm done with conquest for a bit. Hell, I really don't even want to play anymore. Shady or not, there were a bunch of guilds using it and we put in a lot of time to get and maintain that lead...only for them to beg for a nerf and turn around and use it themselves once they got their way and knew we couldn't keep up once it went live.

TLDR: Medium sized guild figures out way to hang with the big boys. Big boys use their podcaster/community guy to complain to Bioware. Bioware rules the method as unintended and announces patch for tonight. Big boys decide to bring over their imp buddies to double up on the bug before it's patched after (A) complaining about it and (B) knowing we stopped using it and most importantly (C) already outnumbering us by about ten on a regular basis ensuring we couldn't keep up by conventional means if their lead was large enough.

Or you know... It wasn't intended? Other events based on what was mined have specific FP's as one time events. Sure it's BW's fault but at the same time not everything revolves around some inter-guild drama.

But part of the reason it is getting changed now rather then later i imagine has to do with exactly what you described. Now personally i have no problem with a group of 4 55's going into the instance and stopping it to claim the 4000 points - thats fair they earned it. But to just bring in people on battle of illum just for the bonus boss and then conquest points is knowingly exploiting it and have no sympathy to those that abuse it willingly.

My guild is medium sized - only has 100 unique players. Yet we are 3rd on the Balmorra (Pub) leaderboard on Harbinger (which i believe is most populated US-West Server). We are not crafting, we are either running FP's (properly) or we are doing Balmorra heroics. We are having 10-15 people a day run balmorra at least once on one toon (with some doing it prehaps 3-4 times a day if they want) with the rest of the points coming from people doing what they normally do. Saying medium sized guilds can't compete and have to resort to exploiting in order to place is rubbish. If there was a way for bioware to determine who was doing it i would encourage points removal from any and all guilds that did it.

Sure calling out and crying about an exploit on the forums and then doing it is terrible (and hilarious they tried to take a moral high ground only to do it themselves) but it doesn't excuse your guilds or any other guild that knowingly exploited it.

EDIT: TBH after more thought i wouldn't call it an exploit but maybe a creative/novel solution to farm conquest points. At the end of the day whether it is being classed as an exploit (you broke the rules) or a creative solution (therefore you simply got outplayed), the Ilum leaderboard was always going to attract the big guilds because of the large conquest bonuses. We personally played Balmorra because it was split between pubs/imps (and offered same bonuses as Ilum) but Corellia would have been a great option as well.

My guild has been taking advantage of the flashpoint conquest point grind for Hoth on Harbinger. Last I checked we were in 1st with a Republic guild close to us. I soloed Black Talon for about an hour or two just to finish my conquest cap for the week.

Looks like I'll have to resort to PvPing for my points in the coming weeks.

It has been pretty crazy though. There are guilds recruiting on the fleet looking for people just to grind conquest points. It's insane.

Heysoos

There really seems to be no point in trying to compete in conquest unless you're a huge guild. GAF managed a top 10 spot on Voss last week, mainly due to the fact that we did a TON of crafting, but it was hardly worth it at all. There's no way we could ever compete for a number 1 spot unless they open a lot more planets and we get lucky with the competition, or if we merge into a bigger guild, which is not going to happen because the guild is mostly a tight knit group of mature players.

Most of the guild has pretty much turned their attention into building the ship and finding new decorations.

There really seems to be no point in trying to compete in conquest unless you're a huge guild. GAF managed a top 10 spot on Voss last week, mainly due to the fact that we did a TON of crafting, but it was hardly worth it at all. There's no way we could ever compete for a number 1 spot unless they open a lot more planets and we get lucky with the competition, or if we merge into a bigger guild, which is not going to happen because the guild is mostly a tight knit group of mature players.

Most of the guild has pretty much turned their attention into building the ship and finding new decorations.
Yeah. They need to find some way to make it worthwhile for the smaller and medium sized guilds to compete without having to stand on the fleet recruiting like a madman.

Alur

Or you know... It wasn't intended? Other events based on what was mined have specific FP's as one time events. Sure it's BW's fault but at the same time not everything revolves around some inter-guild drama.

Of course it wasn't their intention to have people farm repeatables that weren't meant to be repeatable last week, nor did they mean for people to stealth farm flashpoints this week. But they should have seen it coming. The flashpoint thing has been used and youtubed forever.

That has nothing to do with guild anything. And as I stated, I don't care about the nerf. I knew what it was as they did it, and then as I joined in. It's the fact that another guild went to reddit and the official forums to complain about us and slander us...and then proceeded to double and triple up on the very same thing.

Saying medium sized guilds can't compete and have to resort to exploiting in order to place is rubbish. If there was a way for bioware to determine who was doing it i would encourage points removal from any and all guilds that did it.

Medium sized guilds don't have to exploit to place. I never said that. That's the talk you've been having with BattleMonkey I believe.

Medium sized or small guilds will have to be extremely lucky to win, however, based on the planet they choose, the objective, and who decides to go against them. And winning determines who gets their guild ships completed the quickest.

This particular PVE objective with FP's and the like was our guild's wheelhouse, for example. Unfortunately, we chose a planet with a much larger guild also on it, stumbled on a way to compete and it got patched. That part is fine. The bad part, as I said, is the people complaining did three times what we did after we had ceased to use the bug. They have a 1.8 million lead right now (4:00 AM CST). Wowza.

My guild has been taking advantage of the flashpoint conquest point grind for Hoth on Harbinger. Last I checked we were in 1st with a Republic guild close to us. I soloed Black Talon for about an hour or two just to finish my conquest cap for the week.

Looks like I'll have to resort to PvPing for my points in the coming weeks.

It has been pretty crazy though. There are guilds recruiting on the fleet looking for people just to grind conquest points. It's insane.

Yeah, it has been very crazy. I, and most of the people involved, were glad they decided to patch it. Having to keep that up for a few more days would've been terrible. We had fun with it the first night. Today it was a grind. By tomorrow it would've been torture.

And the CS folks posted again in the complaint thread saying they are going to adjust PVP conquest to wins, possibly, so that probably won't be viable for too long. They are aiming for 2.10 for that and some other conquest changes.

And the CS folks posted again in the complaint thread saying they are going to adjust PVP conquest to wins, possibly, so that probably won't be viable for too long. They are aiming for 2.10 for that and some other conquest changes.
Welp. Crafting it is then!

Yeah. They need to find some way to make it worthwhile for the smaller and medium sized guilds to compete without having to stand on the fleet recruiting like a madman.

They simply need to have an obtainable goal that every guild can earn. Just like the personal reward, once a guild reaches a specific point, give them a reward. Those who do get in top 10, then get bonus shit. Simple as that.

Guild I'm with is about 20 people only, so yea we are shit out of luck of ever bothering with conquests. Guilds with 100+ are even acting like they are out of luck, so that's huge numbers of guilds/players that are essentially saying "fuck it" to the conquest system.

They simply need to have an obtainable goal that every guild can earn. Just like the personal reward, once a guild reaches a specific point, give them a reward. Those who do get in top 10, then get bonus shit. Simple as that.

Guild I'm with is about 20 people only, so yea we are shit out of luck of ever bothering with conquests. Guilds with 100+ are even acting like they are out of luck, so that's huge numbers of guilds/players that are essentially saying "fuck it" to the conquest system.
Yeah I'd like to see something like that. A tiered rewards system would do wonders for the conquest system.

vilmer_

Haven't played this game in ages and I decided to fire it back up. I still had the game folder on another drive lol. Man the mounts in this game now are some of the coolest I've ever seen. And there's still a shit ton of people playing. Going back and forth between this game and WoW the difference in the communities is absolutely insane. I don't feel like I'm playing with a bunch of kids and teenagers like WoW is infested with.

Of course it wasn't their intention to have people farm repeatables that weren't meant to be repeatable last week, nor did they mean for people to stealth farm flashpoints this week. But they should have seen it coming. The flashpoint thing has been used and youtubed forever.

I agree - it was an oversight and they should have seen it coming from a mile away but they didn't and that is why it was patched mid-week instead of for when Clash in Hyperspace rolls around again.

That has nothing to do with guild anything. And as I stated, I don't care about the nerf. I knew what it was as they did it, and then as I joined in. It's the fact that another guild went to reddit and the official forums to complain about us and slander us...and then proceeded to double and triple up on the very same thing.

As i said above - i laugh at that guild for their hypocrisy. However like i also said in my edit in my eyes if it was an exploit then you are both as bad as each other IMO or if it was simply a "creative solution" then you got outplayed by a larger guild who also wants to win. While it is hilarious they tried to take a moral high ground over it and then proceed to do it themselves, they are at the end of the day also trying to win and likely didn't think BW would strip points so they went for it.

Medium sized guilds don't have to exploit to place. I never said that. That's the talk you've been having with BattleMonkey I believe.

Medium sized or small guilds will have to be extremely lucky to win, however, based on the planet they choose, the objective, and who decides to go against them. And winning determines who gets their guild ships completed the quickest.

Ok this makes more sense about wanting to win but at the same time lets keep expectations in check. As a medium sized guild i knew when details first emerged from this that we would not be expecting to place first in the first few months (unless the 15 planet event came up then we might have a chance). Expecting a win against these larger guilds last week and this week when the events are less then two weeks old, they are also using their massive crafting stockpiles etc... It is just unrealistic to expect to place in the top 5 guilds in a brand new event as a medium sized guild. When this has been out for a few months and possibly some modifications have been made to the system and the large guilds have exhausted their supplies then i imagine medium sized guilds can easily have a crack at top spot.

Yep. Some "personal guild goals" would be nice.

Necrovex

Oh my lord, I finally completed my Imperial Agent's class quest. I really liked how everything turned out in the end. I would return to my beloved Chiss if Bioware continued the class quests.

I created a Jedi Knight, so I'll play him a little, but I won't power through the game anytime soon. Time to focus on other stuff. I plan to stop playing once my subscription ends in 15 days.

Heysoos

I've been very slowly leveling my Jugg, and man I think I've spent more time fighting
Imps than the Republic
so far. Might be because I'm only doing the class quest and ignoring the planet stories though.

Necrovex

I've been very slowly leveling my Jugg, and man I think I've spent more time fighting
Imps than the Republic
so far. Might be because I'm only doing the class quest and ignoring the planet stories though.

How are you maintaining your level if you're only doing your class quest?

Flunkie

Banned
Feels good to finally be in the GAF guild. Thanks for the help/advice tonight. :) Gonna get back into this this fall/winter...

I'm finally starting to feel like my character isn't a total noob. Not totally decked out yet, but I'm at a good place, I think. Mostly 168 stuff (at least on the main pieces), and even got a 180 item. Lots of augmented stuff, too. Also, have the Stalker 2-piece set bonus.

I hit liked a damned truck. A typical maul hit will be like 3500, and a good crit will be over 8000.

nRSglzi.png

I'm having a huge issue with getting into ops flashpoints though. I know everyone is a DPS, so all DPS positions are being filled... But I was in queue for like 3 hours and couldn't get in. It's frustrating, because I'd like to get more 180 gear.

Alur

I'm having a huge issue with getting into ops flashpoints though. I know everyone is a DPS, so all DPS positions are being filled... But I was in queue for like 3 hours and couldn't get in. It's frustrating, because I'd like to get more 180 gear.

What server are you on? Jedi Covenant?

Syf

Banned
I never queue for ops tbh, unless I'm already in a premade. Takes way too long that way. Hang around on fleet and there's plenty of story mode ops groups to join in chat, and you get ultimate comms from those.

On my server, at least.

What server are you on? Jedi Covenant?

Harbinger. I've heard it's one of the more populated servers, so it makes me even more baffled that I just can't land a group.

Last time, when I queued up for Scum and Villainy, I think I only waited about an hour. Not exactly quick, but pretty reasonable.

Maybe I'll do like Kherion said and chit chat on fleet to get a group.

Alur

Harbinger. I've heard it's one of the more populated servers, so it makes me even more baffled that I just can't land a group.

Last time, when I queued up for Scum and Villainy, I think I only waited about an hour. Not exactly quick, but pretty reasonable.

Maybe I'll do like Kherion said and chit chat on fleet to get a group.

Yeah, hanging out on fleet and watching general chat is a good way to get in.

The other is just joining a more active guild. The guild I'm in on Jedi Covenant, for example, is a casual raiding guild. Every night there's some raid, whether it's old or new. Saturday we did EV nightmare for giggles with whoever was around and then after the group shrank down to 8 and we went into an EC nightmare run for tanks, decorations, and the Warstalker title, for example. Always folks doing flashpoints, and some nights we do group PVP.

Lots of stuff going on. It's really the best way to get regular enjoyment without frustrating yourself. I'm sure there's more than one similar guild on your server. If not, you get one free transfer as far as I remember. Just sayin'. :p

Alur

Well really, the only reason I'm getting frustrated is because I'm competing with my friend for gear, and he's always able to land an op. lol

Just hop in the queue and watch the fleet at primetime. There's always ones forming, even into the wee hours on our server. It is rougher as a DPS, for sure.

Alur

Oh so ec nim is a joke now? I remember that taking is like 30 hours for a down. I can't remember anything so exciting.

Well, if you're geared and you have dps who can handle the tanks fight and a team that can deal with the trandoshans on Kephess, it's not too bad.

16 man is still pretty rough as I understand it, but a group who knows the mechanics can handle EC NM 8 man pretty quick now. I had never cleared it past story mode and we did it in an hour and three minutes this past weekend. I don't have much PVE gear myself, but they put me on the ground for the tanks fight so that was easy for me after doing so much PVP.

We've had five tank mounts drop in two weeks. I rolled a 90 on one and another dude rolled a 92 as they were about to give it to me. /sad /mad

StudioTan

So I just had a thought about what BW could do to address guild size disparity in the conquest stuff without having to add separate tiers of rewards.

Similar to how they calculate guild bonuses for XP based on unique accounts they could multiply your total inversely but the number of unique accounts you have in your guild. So lets say you had a guild of 10 people who all reached their 35k goal. Their total would get something like a 500% bonus so they would have 1.75M points instead of 350k. Meanwhile a guild with 100 people wouldn't get a bonus at all so you would need 50 people to get to 35k to match that other guilds total. One guild need 100% of their players vs the other needing 50% of their players to reach the same goals. Still gives a bonus for having a big guild but the small guild has a chance.

I don't know what the numbers would but a system like that could work to even the playing field a bit.

Well, if you're geared and you have dps who can handle the tanks fight and a team that can deal with the trandoshans on Kephess, it's not too bad.

16 man is still pretty rough as I understand it, but a group who knows the mechanics can handle EC NM 8 man pretty quick now. I had never cleared it past story mode and we did it in an hour and three minutes this past weekend. I don't have much PVE gear myself, but they put me on the ground for the tanks fight so that was easy for me after doing so much PVP.

We've had five tank mounts drop in two weeks. I rolled a 90 on one and another dude rolled a 92 as they were about to give it to me. /sad /mad

Exactly this. 8 man NiM is very easy but Kephess still is demanding on the tanks for a tank swap as 2 deaths leads to an insta-wipe. However 16-man pugs are generally doomed to always fail on the tanks simply because most do not even realize that there are two shields that spawn with ads on BOTH sides (meaning there are 4 shields with ads on 16 rather then 2 on 8) and requires the group on each tank to again split on the shield phase to make 2 groups of 8 become 4 groups of 4.

Extremely difficult without voice co-ordination and is almost a requirement. I did eventually do tanks on NiM in a pug (after going through 8-9 groups that just couldn't) but even then there were 3-4 people who consistently went under the wrong shield and threatened to derail it all :/

I'm finally starting to feel like my character isn't a total noob. Not totally decked out yet, but I'm at a good place, I think. Mostly 168 stuff (at least on the main pieces), and even got a 180 item. Lots of augmented stuff, too. Also, have the Stalker 2-piece set bonus.

I hit liked a damned truck. A typical maul hit will be like 3500, and a good crit will be over 8000.

nRSglzi.png

What spec are you playing? The Stalker set is DPS, but you seem very endurance heavy and are using a shield, not a focus. Your crit is also quite low. I assume you are in a mix of dps and tank gear?

I'm on Harbinger, though mostly pub side, most ops are formed on fleet and then the leader uses GF to get everyone in. It's pretty easy to find TC at all hours, though most of the ops I do are in guild and then we put out a call on fleet to fill in gaps.

What spec are you playing? The Stalker set is DPS, but you seem very endurance heavy and are using a shield, not a focus. Your crit is also quite low. I assume you are in a mix of dps and tank gear?

I'm on Harbinger, though mostly pub side, most ops are formed on fleet and then the leader uses GF to get everyone in. It's pretty easy to find TC at all hours, though most of the ops I do are in guild and then we put out a call on fleet to fill in gaps.

I'm pretty much entirely geared to power and willpower. Not sure why my endurance is so high, considering I've been mixing and matching pieces from different sets, solely to get those stats high (using healer, force lord, and stalker gear).

I use a shield just because nine times out of ten, whenever I get into tactical flashpoints I have to tank because there's always a DPS jugg that doesn't fucking feel like it. It's not optimal, but it works surprisingly well since I don't respec.

Should I be gearing for higher critical rating? It's certainly not too late to, since I've got plenty of things to upgrade, but this seems to be working really well for me.

EDIT: Oh boy, looks like the server crashed.

EDIT 2: Back up. Lost about an hour of work. What the fuck, is this game from 15 years ago or something?

Man, Harbinger is just fucking dying today. Mail wasn't working, then I tried to travel to my stronghold and that just kind of froze everything. I was still able to move around and shit, but everyone around me stopped. Ended up just logging out.

EDIT: Apparently people are unable to connect to the server.

Top Bottom