• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Draxal

Kinda hard to say at this time of day, primetime will be better indicator, but even some of the destination serves right now with multiple transfer sources are still listed as light /standard on the server list. Unless they increased server capacity already and they are able to stuff far more people in now

It seems like they already did (somebody said fatman had 400 on fleet and was only listed as heavy compared to 200 last week with very heavy).

Holy shit, 80 origin servers onto 19 destination servers? Population must be pretty bad, that's 40% of all servers being cleared out.

It seems like they already did (somebody said fatman had 400 on fleet and was only listed as heavy compared to 200 last week with very heavy).

Wow yea they did seem to increase server capacity then. The fleet instanced or they actually allow 400 on fleet now?

Holy shit, 80 origin servers onto 19 destination servers? Population must be pretty bad, that's 40% of all servers being cleared out.

The destinations seem to have higher pop caps than before and less instancing going on from forum reports, plus you got a bunch of people who simply are not transfering for various reasons yet and will need to be forced off with merges eventually. They had originally over 200 servers with tiny pop caps at launch which caused so many problems.

skrilla

Neo Member
I know, I just thought they'd slow down a bit on that one to give it time to level off before sending more people in.

Yeah it is beginning to look that way. Especially if they are cramming the servers full, they're going to need all of the West Coast PvP refugees in one place to make that happen.

Mav, if you don't mind me asking.. what guild are you in?

Dunlop

No juyo yet.

Arg, I'm so bored with this game and I have 2days to decide if I want to cancel before I'm billed another month. Hopefully they are not done for the day

Cystm

The near instant queues are so nice. The influx of bad players is not. Those lowbie queues are so bad at times.

HBroward

It's pretty crazy the populations are going to be so high, JC hit 270 on imperial fleet last night, can't even imagine what we are going to see by the time they are done.

I think the spreading too thin of the populations did more to kill this game than anything else, hopefully now with packed servers and good experiences the game will start to grow again.

SpudBud

It's pretty crazy the populations are going to be so high, JC hit 270 on imperial fleet last night, can't even imagine what we are going to see by the time they are done.

It's nice to see 250+ on the fleet. It's strange going from maybe 75 during primetime to "OH MY GOD SO MANY PEOPLE." This ended up being a really good move by bioware.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I think the spreading too thin of the populations did more to kill this game than anything else, hopefully now with packed servers and good experiences the game will start to grow again.

The spreading itself definitely did some serious damage, but it's the way it exacerbated other issues, like lack of LFG tools and a fairly lackluster endgame in general that really hurt.

I logged in to Fatman to change my legacy name since I knew my old one would be taken and there were 250 people on the fleet at 2:30pm. Quite a far cry from 5 people on the fleet during primetime.

Yea it did. Almost as many servers as WoW has with a tenth of the playerbase? At launch they kept opening more servers even when they had severs that were standard and no wait.

Take note all future MMO's: Develop a way to handle server boom-bust populations better. Be it overflow, cloning the server temporarily, merging, etc... They already have instancing tech on most games; now they need to take it to the next level with worlds building.

Oh not saying it is an easy task here, but it is almost damn necessary to keep the game alive past the first few months, especially if hyped up (SWTOR needed these servers for about 1 month, then it cooled off quickly)

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I logged in to Fatman to change my legacy name since I knew my old one would be taken and there were 250 people on the fleet at 2:30pm. Quite a far cry from 5 people on the fleet during primetime.

Then wow they seriously upped the population limits on each server because all the destination servers, including Fatman, are currently listed as Standard.

Supposedly they now have "mega servers" (say that with a booming voice for effect!)

No clue what that means...yet, but may explain those numbers.

Take note all future MMO's: Develop a way to handle server boom-bust populations better. Be it overflow, cloning the server temporarily, merging, etc... They already have instancing tech on most games; now they need to take it to the next level with worlds building.

Oh not saying it is an easy task here, but it is almost damn necessary to keep the game alive past the first few months, especially if hyped up (SWTOR needed these servers for about 1 month, then it cooled off quickly)

Lot of games have already done well using instancing. Most MMOs out that are one server are really just multiple servers with instances. The tech is not really new like some MMO's have tried to make it seem like.

Then wow they seriously upped the population limits on each server because all the destination servers, including Fatman, are currently listed as Standard.

Throw in some new content fast, make sure the ranking pvp works and is fast paced, make sure the other social tools are working, and they may have a chance to see sub numbers start going up again.

Alur

The near instant queues are so nice. The influx of bad players is not. Those lowbie queues are so bad at times.

From what I've seen on JC, the pubs made out pretty nice. The JC imps already hate them, and they seem to be able to queue as groups (I've ran into 6 8 man premades now) mostly at will. I haven't seen many pub scrubs, but I have seen a fair share of imp ones who just got their recruit gear.

Lot of games have already done well using instancing. Most MMOs out that are one server are really just multiple servers with instances. The tech is not really new like some MMO's have tried to make it seem like.

Yes, with creative load handling (like EVE) it works well. Now that server tech seemingly is improving fast with Cloud computing research, they should be able to be able to apply it to almost any idea they can. I am honestly ok if I see 4 different "zones" and even have to switch to find friends, knowing there is 50000 people on the server to do things.

Francois424

Neo Member
Still nothing for MindTrick.

By the time I get there all my toons will only have droid names */cry*
Should be OK for Legacy Name tho.

CzarTim

From what I've seen on JC, the pubs made out pretty nice. The JC imps already hate them, and they seem to be able to queue as groups (I've ran into 6 8 man premades now) mostly at will. I haven't seen many pub scrubs, but I have seen a fair share of imp ones who just got their recruit gear.
Don't worry, BW makes sure to put me with all the scrubs against the imp premades.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Throw in some new content fast, make sure the ranking pvp works and is fast paced, make sure the other social tools are working, and they may have a chance to see sub numbers start going up again.

Yeah, the game is definitely salvagable to having a long-term presence and playerbase if they do manage to get their act together appropriately. The real question is if they will manage to remain purely subscription or implement a F2P hybrid model like DDO.

CzarTim

Yeah, the game is definitely salvagable to having a long-term presence and playerbase if they do manage to get their act together appropriately. The real question is if they will manage to remain purely subscription or implement a F2P hybrid model like DDO.

Once 1.3 comes out, they need to focus on pushing out content as fast as possible. 2 content patches in 6+ months is ridiculous.

Once 1.3 comes out, they need to focus on pushing out content as fast as possible. 2 content patches in 6+ months is ridiculous.

1.1 shouldn't count since it was a couple weeks after launch and only really added a flashpoint. 1.3 is not really a content update. Technically we have gotten one actual content update in 6 months, which is pathetic.

Draxal

Apparently you can now transfer from swiftsure to the bastion.

Megaservers confirmed.

UPDATE 3:00PM CDT June 13th, 2012

Origin Server --> Destination Server

NA Server
Ki-Ta Kren --> Jedi Covenant
Telos Restoration Project --> Jedi Covenant
Axial Park --> Jedi Covenant
Hanharr --> Jedi Covenant
Fort Garnik --> Jedi Covenant
Kaas City --> Canderous Ordo
Assassins of Sion --> Canderous Ordo
The Constant --> Canderous Ordo
Wall of Light --> The Harbinger
Zaalbar --> The Harbinger
Kaiburr Crystal --> The Harbinger
Master Gnost-Dural --> Drooga's Pleasure Barge
Lord Praven --> Drooga's Pleasure Barge
Dark Reaper --> The Bastion
The Swiftsure --> The Bastion
Wound in the Force --> The Bastion
Warriors of the Shadow --> The Bastion
Shadowtown --> The Bastion
Mandalore the Indomitable --> The Bastion
Infinite Empire --> The Bastion
The Maw --> The Bastion

European Server (German)
Opila Crystal --> The Jedi Tower
Darth Revan's Mask --> Jar'Kai Sword
Darth Traya --> Jar'Kai Sword
Exis Station --> Jar'Kai Sword
Brianna --> Jar'Kai Sword
Blotus the Hutt --> Jar'Kai Sword

European Server (English)
Dxun Battle Circle --> The Red Eclipse
Kellian Jarro --> The Red Eclipse
Flames of the Crucible --> The Red Eclipse
The Arkanian Legacy --> The Red Eclipse
Starstorm One --> Tomb of Freedon Nadd
Ahto City --> Tomb of Freedon Nadd
The Ravager --> Tomb of Freedon Nadd
Niman --> Tomb of Freedon Nadd
Hex Droid --> Tomb of Freedon Nadd
Scepter of Ragnos --> Tomb of Freedon Nadd
Chuundar --> Tomb of Freedon Nadd
Trayus Academy --> Tomb of Freedon Nadd
Tott Doneeta --> Tomb of Freedon Nadd

European Server (French)
Hrakert Rift --> Darth Nihilus
Star Map --> Darth Nihilus

Zafir

Looking at how little destination servers there is for Europe it looks like my server may not be one. Sigh. Not looking forward to losing my names. >.<

Giolon

*sigh* Bioware removed the hoods from Black Hole/Campaign gear for Twi'lek Consulars. Every day they make it harder and harder for me to keep playing this game.

Moaradin

This is crazy. My guild decided to transfer from Swiftsure to Bastion. I didn't expect us to transfer at all. I think most west coast servers can transfer to Bastion so I think most of them will to get a high pop.

Cystm

Apparently you can now transfer from swiftsure to the bastion.

Megaservers confirmed.

UPDATE 3:00PM CDT June 13th, 2012

Origin Server --> Destination Server

NA Server
Ki-Ta Kren --> Jedi Covenant
Telos Restoration Project --> Jedi Covenant
Axial Park --> Jedi Covenant
Hanharr --> Jedi Covenant
Fort Garnik --> Jedi Covenan
t
Kaas City --> Canderous Ordo
Assassins of Sion --> Canderous Ordo
The Constant --> Canderous Ordo
Wall of Light --> The Harbinger
Zaalbar --> The Harbinger
Kaiburr Crystal --> The Harbinger
Master Gnost-Dural --> Drooga's Pleasure Barge
Lord Praven --> Drooga's Pleasure Barge

European Server (German)
Opila Crystal --> The Jedi Tower
Darth Revan's Mask --> Jar'Kai SwordDark Reaper --> The Bastion
The Swiftsure --> The Bastion
Wound in the Force --> The Bastion
Warriors of the Shadow --> The Bastion
Shadowtown --> The Bastion
Mandalore the Indomitable --> The Bastion
Infinite Empire --> The Bastion

The Maw --> The Bastion
Darth Traya --> Jar'Kai Sword
Exis Station --> Jar'Kai Sword
Brianna --> Jar'Kai Sword
Blotus the Hutt --> Jar'Kai Sword

European Server (English)
Dxun Battle Circle --> The Red Eclipse
Kellian Jarro --> The Red Eclipse
Flames of the Crucible --> The Red Eclipse
The Arkanian Legacy --> The Red Eclipse
Starstorm One --> Tomb of Freedon Nadd
Ahto City --> Tomb of Freedon Nadd
The Ravager --> Tomb of Freedon Nadd
Niman --> Tomb of Freedon Nadd
Hex Droid --> Tomb of Freedon Nadd
Scepter of Ragnos --> Tomb of Freedon Nadd
Chuundar --> Tomb of Freedon Nadd
Trayus Academy --> Tomb of Freedon Nadd
Tott Doneeta --> Tomb of Freedon Nadd

European Server (French)
Hrakert Rift --> Darth Nihilus
Star Map --> Darth Nihilus

Gat damn.

Giolon

Wow. Unsubbing right now.

Hey, character appearance is important to me. There's a reason loads of people bitched about the 1.2 armors, b/c they look un-star wars-like and goofy. Part of the reason I play is to have a cool-looking character, and I don't think I'm the only one (even if I am, it wouldn't change my opinions). I'd like my character to be able to wear a hat or a hood - that's a legitimate desire. It's not the reason to quit, but it's one more papercut upon the others that have already built up (new shitty Project animation, Empire favoritism, buggy Operations, poor dev communication, buggy Republic Datacrons, lies about crafting, over-expensive moddable gear system, and bad AH interface just to name a few).

Francois424

Neo Member
Althought it IS minor, I agree with Giolon myself.

They really need to make a toggle for that. Because before ppl that wanted no hoods were bitching, now it's the otehr ppl that were satisfied before that are bitching... heh

Like the mix of armors we get, helps fit with the fantasy and time period instead of the awful KOTOR designs that simply copied the OT. Course it's true they simply had alot of bad designs, I just hope we don't get nothing but pure clones of OT/PT clothing from now on. Fantasy like inspiration mixed with sci fi is what kotor should have been that would have actually fit with the world created by Dark Horse.

And they are reducing mod swap costs and you can always use orange gear. Their biggest problem to me has simply been not letting a person swap out their Columi/Rakata set bonuses which has caused majority of players to not even bother with switching to orange gear looks they like, even if they can afford it.

aett

There were 140 people on the Republic Fleet on Drooga's Pleasure Barge just now. That may not be 400, but it's ten times the amount of people I've seen at once on the Pub Fleet back on Darth Xedrix.

Alur

I really like what they've done with the mergers.

Agreed.

It leads me to wonder...were the first group of the transfers yesterday (KV included) the biggest fish of what was left fed into the biggest pond?

Just wondering, cause they've added like 8 or 9 more servers to us, and now they are doing multiples at a time....these servers must be down in the low 10-20 range of active players on each side or something, or they have seriously done some work on the servers.

Draxal

Agreed.

It leads me to wonder...were the first group of the transfers yesterday (KV included) the biggest fish of what was left fed into the biggest pond?

Just wondering, cause they've added like 8 or 9 more servers to us, and now they are doing multiples at a time....these servers must be down in the low 10-20 range of active players on each side or something, or they have seriously done some work on the servers.

Nah ... there's a bunch of pve east servers that had around the same pop as Kv or a little bit higher, some are definetely going to be a source server.

Top Bottom