• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

ShaneB

Smuggler is Pub. :p

Also have heard Jedi Knight is KOTOR 3-ish.

Haven't heard many good things about Trooper.

Oh right, Smuggler is the advanced class, forgot about those., lol

I dont want to be a Jedi Knight, I assume there are lots of those going around. lol

Milly79

Oh right, Smuggler is the advanced class, forgot about those., lol

I dont want to be a Jedi Knight, I assume there are lots of those going around. lol

There's a lot of everything running around now. :p

I would say that Smuggler (Scoundrel AC) is one of the least played classes.

Sentinels, Sages, Vanguards are highly played
Commandos, Gunslingers, Guardians, Shadows are moderately played

Then you have Scoundrel :p

Draxal

When does it pick up?

Um, Act 3.

I think the problem with the republic stories is that all of them have their trouble spots except for the Smuggler.

Troopers Act 1 was pretty damn good (except the part where they confused which guy was where), Act 2 and 3 were so tacked on. Jedi Knight was the opposite, Act 1 sucked but 2 and 3 were amazing.

Consular has a decent final act, but I thought Act 1 was okay, Act 2 was horrible, and Act 3 was decent. Smuggler was solid throughout, but I really think Act 1 was the best as it has the antagonist with the best dialogue.

Smuggler is Pub. :p

Also have heard Jedi Knight is KOTOR 3-ish.

Haven't heard many good things about Trooper.

Trooper starts of strong but fizzles in the end, it probably has the best non companion character dilemma in the game (rep side, haven't played a imp to that high) in Act 3 though.

Zafir

No wonder not many people do ranked when you have a team of 4 smashers, 1 bubblepop specced healer bubbling them and stealthers(op/scound healer shadow/sin tank) to stealth interrupt caps.

Alur

Haha, there were three of us there all watching the node.

Edit: We won 6 of 8 matches against the republic last night, we will lift the Empire out of it's sorry state, if we have to carry every undergeared imp on the server to do it!

I made a serious comeback today and played 14 games and we were actually 13-1 in those. I ran two or three in a premade with Catalina Wine Mixers and the rest of the time it was me and Gaeta on one or the other of his alts. Bubble spec is srs business in a close game.

Kyari

When does it pick up?

Trick question, it doesn't.
A bunch of things happen that, on paper, sound pretty awesome. But they just ... aren't. The entire time I spent playing Consular I just had a constant feeling that I was the "less important Jedi".

Cystm

ibbBHr3It7VJsP.png

Bunch of people could not make it :/

Alur

It's a shame we couldn't do an imp/pub combine screenie since we are all in the same guild in some form or function. It'd turn into chaos the moment some non GAF folks arrived, or maybe some sneaky GAF members themselves.

Cystm

It's a shame we couldn't do an imp/pub combine screenie since we are all in the same guild in some form or function. It'd turn into chaos the moment some non GAF folks arrived, or maybe some sneaky GAF members themselves.

We can do that at faction neutral location. I think that would be awesome.

Mrg8523-

Going to start my subscription again tomorrow. Haven't played since around February. Are there any major changes that have happened? I already know about the server mergers.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Going to start my subscription again tomorrow. Haven't played since around February. Are there any major changes that have happened? I already know about the server mergers.

Since Feb? Quite a lot.

For the major stuff:

- the Legacy system
- new flashpoint
- new operation
- new warzone
- new daily area
- new gear
- lot of quality of life improvements like matching armor color to chest piece

- group finder
- merged GTN between Pubs and Imps
- ranked warzones
- augmentation kits for armor
- more quality of life stuff

- new operation
- new tier of gear

1.5 is coming in the next week or so which has a new daily area, quest for new companion HK-51 and likely Free To Play and the Cartel Market cash shop

Lots of other stuff like new world bosses, pets plus hundreds of other small changes throughout the year.

You can read all the patch notes here.

vilmer_

Soooo I just went to switch characters back to my main, and I can't log in and I'm getting a message with error 2005 which means I've been kicked from the server due to a customer support action... What the shit?

Edit - Was finally able to get in. That was odd.

HBroward

Looks like regular maintenance on Tuesday, so I would imagine it's the week after this one. Could always be a patch later this week, but it seems like it still has too many outstanding issues remaining.

This week is 6 weeks since last update so it should be next week if not this week. Being the F2P launch I could see it getting a bit more delayed though as I would imagine they would want to start advertising such a launch as well.

ShaneB

Thanks for all the advice yesterday from the fine folks in guild chat :) I still have no real idea what class to stick it out with to 50, but I'm enjoying things so far, and it's a universe I like spending time in, so it would be nice if the game clicks and I stick with it. Certainly hope there's a long future for it as well given that there's potential.

Phinor

After skipping Pandas and being done with GW2, I'm quite tempted to pick up a physical CE of this for 30€. I might have to wait and see if the F2P launches tomorrow because if it doesn't, I can probably get the CE before the end of the week to activate the cd-key for bonus cartel coins and stuff before F2P launch. Either that, or 10€ for a regular physical copy. Decisions...

I'm sure they will announce when the game goes F2P launch since they are going to want to get folks to run back to resub before the launch as many no doubt will just to get the bonus cartel coins.

mainframe

Neo Member
So im trying to decide what class to play for pvp

Merc Healer / Maurader/ Assaassin

I got a feeling healers are always in need. SO the likelihood of being invited to a group is higher?? I imagine =)?

Alur

So im trying to decide what class to play for pvp

Merc Healer / Maurader/ Assaassin

I got a feeling healers are always in need. SO the likelihood of being invited to a group is higher?? I imagine =)?

As a player who has played since release and only played as a healer at 50 PVP (both a sorceror and an operative in high level rated), I feel like healing is the best and worst case of scenario of PVP.

Best case scenarios are: if you have some skill and are decent to good you'll be getting invites like crazy yes. You'll dominate the MVP votes. You'll also be easily recognizable to the opposite faction.

On the bad side: if you happen to be unlucky and queue when a bunch of other healers queue, a 4 or 5 healer game happens at least once or twice a night to me if I do say 10 games. It's almost a sure loss, and you're better off leaving the game and just re-queuing. As I said above, you'll be easily recognizable...that goes both ways. Expect to be hounded all game long and take the majority of the damage. I like beinb chased, myself, but some don't.

For the deeps classes I'll let someone else speak on that. I've played em, but not a lot. I just feel like they are a dime a dozen and if you are a decent healer, you'll do well. If you are only a decent dps, you might as well be a healer IMO.

Milly79

Let's see:
Merc healer: Best single-target heals in a game. Will probably end up doing more self healing in PvP. Very hard to get solo'd. Extremely tough with a guard. Hell, you don't even need a guard being a Merc healer. You can seriously take a beating.

Marauder: Best "oh shit/bs" defensive cooldowns in the game.
Rage: lolderp I can hit 4 people for 5k each. It's the easiest of the specs.​
Anni: Bleeds + burst, self-healing, can survive on your own.​
Carnage: Tons of burst. Best healer killer. Preferred if you have pocket heals.​

Assassin: If you're not a tank you really don't get good defensive CDs.
Madness: Dot everything in sight, self-heals.​
Deception: Good single target burst.​
Darkness: Most broken tank spec in the game. Throw on DPS gear and you can probably out-DPS most pure DPS classes while maintaining a good amount of defense.​

If you want burst: Carnage Marauder
If you want to be lame: Darkness Assassin w/DPS gear
If you want big numbers: Madness Assassin
If you want to heal, well: Bodyguard Merc :p

mainframe

Neo Member
As a player who has played since release and only played as a healer at 50 PVP (both a sorceror and an operative in high level rated), I feel like healing is the best and worst case of scenario of PVP.

Best case scenarios are: if you have some skill and are decent to good you'll be getting invites like crazy yes. You'll dominate the MVP votes. You'll also be easily recognizable to the opposite faction.

On the bad side: if you happen to be unlucky and queue when a bunch of other healers queue, a 4 or 5 healer game happens at least once or twice a night to me if I do say 10 games. It's almost a sure loss, and you're better off leaving the game and just re-queuing. As I said above, you'll be easily recognizable...that goes both ways. Expect to be hounded all game long and take the majority of the damage. I like beinb chased, myself, but some don't.

For the deeps classes I'll let someone else speak on that. I've played em, but not a lot. I just feel like they are a dime a dozen and if you are a decent healer, you'll do well. If you are only a decent dps, you might as well be a healer IMO.

Thank you,
that sums up alot for sure, if I solo queue alot (Not 50 yet but when I do) how tough is it to get geared. Is it like WOW pvp where you shouldnt even bother healing if you got a full healing set.

Thank you,
that sums up alot for sure, if I solo queue alot (Not 50 yet but when I do) how tough is it to get geared. Is it like WOW pvp where you shouldnt even bother healing if you got a full healing set.

When you hit 50 you can get a quest at the pvp area that you turn in for a free starter PVP gear set. Without that gear though you will get slapped around. The gear grind for Battlemaster gear after that is really not that bad if you play on a semi regular basis, getting to the next tier stuff after that though really takes alot but also the stat difference between the following sets is not that huge.

Alur

Thank you,

What BattleMonkey said is spot on. You get a free gear set and it'll at least make you die in 5 hits to a fully geared PVPer versus 3, but it's not anything great. Battlemaster gear is the next step up and you can get a full set of it in relatively short time and notice yourself getting a piece of gear per day or two depending on how much you play...very good progression and isn't a great deal worse than War Hero.

War Hero gear definitely takes more time, and as such you should never spend your ranked comms on anything but WH gear. Don't downgrade them to get BM gear early like a lot of new players seem to do. You're trading short term gain for long term pain.

CzarTim

Merc Healing in PVP has been gimped since 1.2. It's a fun class to play, but the numbers don't line up with the other two healers. I am pretty good, and I typically get out healed by a good 100k. Meanwhile I easily out heal other mercs.

Zafir

Merc Healing in PVP has been gimped since 1.2. It's a fun class to play, but the numbers don't line up with the other two healers. I am pretty good, and I typically get out healed by a good 100k. Meanwhile I easily out heal other mercs.
Yeah. I've pretty much dumped my merc for the moment and just play on my Sorc and Jugg. Sorc heals better, and Jugg deals damage better unfortunately. :/

Cystm

Jeff Hickman: The state of the game.

Jeff Hickman said:
When we decided to go Free-to-Play earlier this year, we had weeks of discussion with everyone on the team about where we thought the game was going, what we thought was going right and what was going wrong. We uncovered a lot of issues, but three things really stood out:

1. Our game is awesome. People love it and want to play it.

2. The subscription requirement was driving away huge numbers of people who do not want to commit to paying monthly.

3. The frequency of our Game Updates was way too slow. People were leaving because we were not releasing new content fast enough to keep up with the pace at which it was being consumed.

You are now seeing the results of these conversations. Free-to-Play goes live this Fall, and we are dedicated to getting Game Updates out to you every 6 weeks or so. Though each of these efforts is incredibly challenging for the team, they have accepted that challenge and have tackled them head on!

But we know there is more we can do, more you want us to do. So today, I thought it might be more useful to dive into some more granular and “hot” topics.

Topic #1: Staff: Why are some developers leaving The Old Republic™? How will the game be affected?

Answer: People leave for a lot of reasons. Some have worked on the project for 6+ years and are simply tired and want to go work on something else. Others may not agree with the direction that the game is heading – Free-to-Play is not for everyone and requires a big shift in thinking and culture within the studio. Still others do not have the right skills for the roles that we have as the studio evolves and changes. When any single person leaves, whether we make the decision or they do, it is difficult, but the studio and game live on and thrive as we change, actually thrive because we change. The core of what makes the game and studio great are still here; quality in our game and in our workplace, people that are passionate about both, a camaraderie with each other that helps us support one another, and key people like James Ohlen (who was at BioWare from the very start) who continue to help us carry the banner of BioWare and who are dedicated to help evolve and improve Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Topic #2: Bugs: How does testing work? Why do bugs get through? Why did Game Update 1.4 have so many of them? What are we doing to improve the process?

Answer: MMOs are undoubtedly one of the most complex games on Earth. We employ hundreds of QA professionals to ensure that our game is high quality, but sometimes bugs get through. We test every step of the way as we develop the game or change to the game. We have many, many development environments that work in a sequence to push updates from initial construction, to code and content integration, to internal end-to-end testing, to player facing testing on Public Test Servers and then on to the Live servers. Sometimes (like in Game Update 1.4) we make changes that have unintended (and undiscovered) consequences on completely different parts of the game (the performance issues that showed up in the update are a great example of this). These unintended changes happen more often than you would think (or we would like), though we usually catch them before they go live. We have recently put new measures in place both on the development teams and in QA, as well on Public Test Server (where we should find many of these types of issues), to catch things like this in the future. I am not saying it will not happen again – bugs will always happen – but we will strive to give you the best, high quality, bug-free experience that we can. As a side note, we finally got a lock on the last of the major issues from Game Update 1.4 and appreciate your patience with that one.

Topic #3: Oceanic populations. Are we doing anything about them?

Answer: We are very aware of the concerns with the population levels on the Oceanic servers. The problem is pretty complex, as the solutions we have either split the populations further (like allowing Oceanic players to move to North American servers), or would force players to go to server types (PvP or RP, etc…) that they do not want to be on. Our current plan is to wait for Free-to-Play to launch and see what the influx of new players does to the populations of these servers. We will give it a little time and if we do not see significant improvement, then we will move ahead with the solution that offers the best playing experience for the Oceanic community.

OK, that is it for now. Please keep your comments and questions coming and I will try to answer the biggest, unresolved questions in these “State-of-the-Game” posts. I want to thank you all for the opportunity to be involved with such an amazing game like Star Wars: The Old Republic. I will do everything in my power to take care of the game, and help guide it to a great future.

Cystm

Here's the preliminary thread I intend on making when this goes f2play: Here.

Obviously there needs to be more info on Cartel Costs, but I think it covers everything people would want to know.

See anything I am missing or can improve upon?

Alur

I didn't read too deep cause I've been election watching and stressing all night, but I did want to say something.

/soapbox

The developers of SWTOR should give you a medal (how bout an in game title? The Chronicler? No? okay then) for your dedication to the game, and I mean that in a sincere non-snarky way.

I don't know many folks who still love the game as much as I do, but you definitely exceed my passion for it. I still find the game very enjoyable (though I did take a month off) and I am genuinely glad to see you in here supporting this game despite all the backlash it seems to create at every turn. The narrative of this game was set long ago when 1.2 didn't arrive in a timely manner and it's been negative nancy on the interwebs ever since. I regret that the tone shifted that way and what small part I played in it with my own and my friend's complaints over PVP, so it is very refreshing to see someone trying to remain positive and bring folks into the fold instead of turn them away.

All to say, I appreciate your efforts, please carry on.

/steps down from soapbox

got an email about paying monthly is mandatory to receive the "free" cartel coins (1150 in my case since I bought CE)

still no launch date for F2P though - I dont mind paying for one more month, but not TWO months.

HBroward

got an email about paying monthly is mandatory to receive the "free" cartel coins (1150 in my case since I bought CE)

still no launch date for F2P though - I dont mind paying for one more month, but not TWO months.

It is launching next week. And if not then the next. So no worries about subbing for two months before it hits.

Top Bottom