• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Cystm

I like it, looks like you did a shit ton of work. Only thing I don't see in it is straight F2P info such as things that are/will be restricted, but I dunno if that's even necessary.

I'm waiting until things are finalized in that regard. I am thinking about making a thread specifically for the launch of F2play in gaming, then linking to the OT via that thread so a larger scope of information goes out to new players.

You mean like we've already been doing? ;P

Well, then keep up the awesome work! :3

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

Alur

That's pretty fucking good for a 17 button mouse. I might pick one up.

I've got the molten MMO version, best thing I've ever done to improve myself as far as SWTOR/WoW/Rift goes. I've been thinking about getting my friend one as a gift for Christmas, so maybe I'll snag one. What he has is disdainful.

Alur

I'm disappointed in you Trevin.

Why didn't you tell me about the lightning/heals bubble stun hybrid?

I've only ever been 31/x/x on both my sorc and sage, so I hadn't even really considered it...

Ilye told me about the 24/17 hybrid with 2 points in Backlash, I read the forum QQ about it and then I tried it - this has to be the most fun spec I've had in any MMO (non-dps spec, that is). Even in a loss it's fun to just bubble aoe stun the masses for shits at a node before I go down in a blaze of glory.

If anyone has a sorc/sage that heals that hasn't tried it, give it a go for some fun. You lose the AoE circle and 6% to bonus healing, but you gain the root to overload, as well as your bubble popping a 3 sec aoe stun each time it bursts or expires. 8 bubbles bursting aoe stuns is lovely. It definitely adds some life back to PVP for me.

EDIT: Also the variations. I'm not sure if I should keep the 2 points in Will of the Sith or not in the Madness tree.

HBroward

Oh yeah, I should have mentioned that, I never use it as I use the AoE spec for raiding, and (theme developing here) I'm lazy. It is pretty great for pvp though, I can't wait for the free respecs in the next patch. Survivability is through the roof with that spec, and it annoys the hell out of people since so few healers are running it.

I also picked up that naga last night, what a great deal. I already had a regular naga, but I couldn't pass that up. I'm interested to see how the wireless holds up, though I'll probably just use it wired anyway haha.

Alur

Oh yeah, I should have mentioned that, I never use it as I use the AoE spec for raiding, and (theme developing here) I'm lazy. It is pretty great for pvp though, I can't wait for the free respecs in the next patch.

I forgive you I guess.

If only I had dual spec, I'd use full heals for Voidstar and Novare and the hybrid for Huttball. Not sure which would be best for Civil War, and the bubble spec is definitely useful for Novare capping from what I've seen.

Milly79

What a bunch of assholes teasing an event with this picture:

56726_10151148674723860_479138833_o.jpg

Didn't they say way back during launch that they would avoid "real world" holidays as they don't exist in the Star Wars lore but would do their own events in their stead, or something like that?

They could have capitalized with some Rakghoul stuff this week, make their own take on some horror stuff. Guess they are too busy with the f2p conversion.

Didn't they say way back during launch that they would avoid "real world" holidays as they don't exist in the Star Wars lore but would do their own events in their stead, or something like that?

They could have capitalized with some Rakghoul stuff this week, make their own take on some horror stuff. Guess they are too busy with the f2p conversion.
I did the Kaon Under Siege flashpoint today for my SWTOR fix, festive enough for me.

Zafir

I'm disappointed in you Trevin.

Why didn't you tell me about the lightning/heals bubble stun hybrid?

I've only ever been 31/x/x on both my sorc and sage, so I hadn't even really considered it...

Ilye told me about the 24/17 hybrid with 2 points in Backlash, I read the forum QQ about it and then I tried it - this has to be the most fun spec I've had in any MMO (non-dps spec, that is). Even in a loss it's fun to just bubble aoe stun the masses for shits at a node before I go down in a blaze of glory.

If anyone has a sorc/sage that heals that hasn't tried it, give it a go for some fun. You lose the AoE circle and 6% to bonus healing, but you gain the root to overload, as well as your bubble popping a 3 sec aoe stun each time it bursts or expires. 8 bubbles bursting aoe stuns is lovely. It definitely adds some life back to PVP for me.

EDIT: Also the variations. I'm not sure if I should keep the 2 points in Will of the Sith or not in the Madness tree.
It's a very powerful spec, so much so, I'd say it's probably a necessity against melee heavy teams in ranked(Which lets face it, most are thanks to rage/focus fotm).

Quite fun to play as on my sorc, but an absolute nightmare to be against on my Jugg.

Alur

I can make you one, hold on...

Double EDIT of the EDIT (different build): Somewhere around this appears to be the baseline. There's two extra points. I prefer longer affliction to shorter cd on whirlwind, but another sorc I talked to had shorter whirlwind.

Heysoos

I can make you one, hold on...

EDIT: Somewhere around this appears to be the baseline. There's two extra points. I prefer longer affliction to shorter cd on whirlwind, but another sorc I talked to had shorter whirlwind.

Sweet, thanks! Gonna give my Sage a go.

Alur

Sweet, thanks! Gonna give my Sage a go.

It completely changes the game for me. So much more fun. Bubbles blasting in marauders faces...stop that lolsmash. I spent a lot of time with it on both my friend's 50 sage (not even half battlemaster) and my sorc (fully geared) just to see what kind of talents I'd like and the limitations of the spec.

I redid my talents and I think I've finally settled on what I would want. Longer affliction, using subversion to regen force with lightning strike (if necessary), 15 sec quicker whirlwind and 2 sec quicker interrupt, etc. It really has some good synergy.

I think more than anything I'm excited to actually care about something in the game that is available instead of something that isn't there/is broken.

Really annoyed by the PVP situation on my server. We have a decent community, but on the Imperial side there is only one good PVP guild and it's nigh impossible to get in without knowing someone already. Really wish I could find a group to team up with.

vilmer_

Just had a Civil War match where I was guarding grass, and an Assassin stealth capped the node. I was watching the damn thing the whole time :lol I don't get mad much, but that really pisses me off. What kind of glitch is this??

Milly79

Just had a Civil War match where I was guarding grass, and an Assassin stealth capped the node. I was watching the damn thing the whole time :lol I don't get mad much, but that really pisses me off. What kind of glitch is this??

Maybe it was the bug where you can't actually see him and his nameplate was obscured by the turret? Idk. I think that only happens with Marauders, but it's plausible.

vilmer_

Maybe it was the bug where you can't actually see him and his nameplate was obscured by the turret? Idk. I think that only happens with Marauders, but it's plausible.

The thing is, there was no beam above the turret as it was being capped. It just suddenly changed :/

vilmer_

Lag, I suppose. :\

I have seen no beams before.

It's definitely possible, and perhaps I may have overreacted and jumped the gun as I sent in a ticket reporting him/her. I just can't help but think they were glitching as I have not once ever seen something like that. And what made it even worse is that it was an insanely intense fight where we had snow and grass capped before this happened, then we were suddenly 3 capped ugh lol.

Alur

Really annoyed by the PVP situation on my server. We have a decent community, but on the Imperial side there is only one good PVP guild and it's nigh impossible to get in without knowing someone already. Really wish I could find a group to team up with.

That seems to be the case on most every server from the folks I've talked to.

On imp side on JC it's been some variation of the same guild since about two or three weeks into rated. On pub side there's two or three decent ones, but still only one to be in if you want to be serious about things. Downside to no solo or 4 man rated queues :(.

Cystm

Apparently they are intending on allowing you to sell account altering items from the cartel market on the GTN for credits.

So, F2play players really don't have to spend any cash and can just buy the stuff they want to unlock with credits.

How much of an impact is this going to have on the in-game economy? Google is just bringing up threads without any official response from the devs.

CzarTim

Considering the credit cap, they will probably not sell for more than that unless a subscriber looking to lapse is buying it, which seems counter to their business model.

Cystm

This has happened to me twice in the last four days, one of which was tonight. There is definitely something amiss.

Did you guys try AoE'ing around the turret?

Edit: nvm, there was nothing to even indicate that it was being capped in the first place.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Apparently they are intending on allowing you to sell account altering items from the cartel market on the GTN for credits.

So, F2play players really don't have to spend any cash and can just buy the stuff they want to unlock with credits.

How much of an impact is this going to have on the in-game economy? Google is just bringing up threads without any official response from the devs.

Isn't that similar to how other MMOs do it? So basically it circumvents gold farmers because people have a legal way of buying something with cash and then exchanging that for in game money.

Gives free players more options, while someone still is paying real money to get these unlocks still. Shouldn't affect economy so much since it's pretty much not related to crafting materials. And since a person has to specifically buy these unlocks and aren't random, I don't see ton of folks doing it. Seems like waste of money to buy stuff like cargo hold unlocks when anyone gets that for being preferred. The credit limits on free players is also going to make it not worth it to sell most things to them.

HBroward

Tsk tsk. Not paying attention as usual!

:lol

Haha, there were three of us there all watching the node.

Edit: We won 6 of 8 matches against the republic last night, we will lift the Empire out of it's sorry state, if we have to carry every undergeared imp on the server to do it!

ShaneB

Can't decide what class to play :( I mean I like the idea of Jedi Consular and having some versatility, but I hear the story is so terrible. :(

Top Bottom