• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Alur

I used spare coins and got a Cyan-Blue crystal and a remote control whatever thingie, as well as a 2V-R8 customization that is bound to my pub toon but only usable on my imp toon (why did they make these bind only again?). Only other things I might want are the masks maybe.

And to chime in on snowblower mount-gate, I actually like it. I would just like it better if it wouldn't look so silly AFTER the holidays.

daoster

I bought two Cartel packs and got NOTHING :(.

So with the remaining coins, I just bought a rocket booster...now my characters look like Iron man flying!

HBroward

I bought some packs yesterday, got two Revan's Chest pieces, A Dominator's Command Throne(recolor of the first one), the Ziost Guardian Lightsaber(has a lightning effect on the blade), the remote spaceship, and a dueling banner.

Only got two packs with some of my remaining coins. Got crappy recolored mount and the cyan blue crystal. Meh to the rest. I've had no luck with these packs heh.

Milly79

I bought some packs yesterday, got two Revan's Chest pieces, A Dominator's Command Throne(recolor of the first one), the Ziost Guardian Lightsaber(has a lightning effect on the blade), the remote spaceship, and a dueling banner.

F2P cash shop has you hooked.

HBroward

Confirmation of no event until after the holidays:

Hey folks!

While we're definitely excited about the new Life Day items in the Cartel Market, I wanted to make sure that you all knew that we do not have an in-game event planned for this. However, this doesn't mean that we don't have any in-game events planned for the future! We'll have more information for you sometime after the holidays.

Thank you!

F2P cash shop has you hooked.

Just doing my part. I paid CC's to get HK on all my low level alts for crafting purposes also. So it didn't all go to packs at least.

Alur

SWTOR takes a beating everywhere, sadly. I love it too, but like I said, it's the red-headed step child for whatever reason. The bad vibes got in too soon just like Dexter.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
TOR taking another beating in this thread. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=503859

Meh. I think it's awesome. My biggest pet peeve these days with MMO's is that everything still gets compared to WoW in terms of content... which has 8 years worth of content.

It's not as bad as it was. Around the time of launch Bioware hate was close to it's peak, SO many people wanted to see it fail. Most of those people have moved on to hating other things now.

I feel like the game has at least stabilized and has a pretty healthy player base. I've given up trying to defend it, I still like it and my guild is very healthy and everyone else in the guild seems to share my opinion so that's enough for me.

Heysoos

It's not as bad as it was. Around the time of launch Bioware hate was close to it's peak, SO many people wanted to see it fail. Most of those people have moved on to hating other things now.

I feel like the game has at least stabilized and has a pretty healthy player base. I've given up trying to defend it, I still like it and my guild is very healthy and everyone else in the guild seems to share my opinion so that's enough for me.

Basically. I agree there are shortcomings to this game and things Bioware needs to improve on, but that's hardly possible to talk about in those threads.

H3xum

So I had a few days off at the beginning of the week and finally started playing.

Made a (sub'd) Shadow. According to the interwebs and rando's i've spoken to, the kinetic 31/0/10 build is still the best even post 1.6

Anyhow, I'm still low level (15) and I'm checking out rotations and stuff. Some of them say roll Force Technique 24/7, especially with Force Breach. Others say roll Combat Technique through the entirety of your play for Force Breach/Particle Acceleration+Project.

At this point and time with my unfamiliarity with the game I'd like to feel like I'm not messing up too much, so, Shadows, which one do you think?

Alur

In my experience (for low levels) Deception/Infiltration is pretty good because you have most of your rotation by level 20. Double Strike can fill in for the top of the tree ability because the top ability is just a modified version, and you have your Project and all of that. I did actually level as tank, however, because it was at release and there were groups everywhere.

Hmm, new space missions are actually pretty fun with grade 6 parts, pretty good challenge.

Don't have full grade 6 stuff installed and they have been crazy hard, only tried a few though so far. Prices on space parts have gone up quite a bit now too so that has become a bt of a pain to gear up now.

Cystm

So I had a few days off at the beginning of the week and finally started playing.

Made a (sub'd) Shadow. According to the interwebs and rando's i've spoken to, the kinetic 31/0/10 build is still the best even post 1.6

Anyhow, I'm still low level (15) and I'm checking out rotations and stuff. Some of them say roll Force Technique 24/7, especially with Force Breach. Others say roll Combat Technique through the entirety of your play for Force Breach/Particle Acceleration+Project.

At this point and time with my unfamiliarity with the game I'd like to feel like I'm not messing up too much, so, Shadows, which one do you think?

30/0/10 or it's variants are entirely dependent on end game gearing. Otherwise you are just a sub par tank or gimped DPS.

6/32/3 is what I recommend leveling with.

Rotation:

Basic:
  • Use Saber Strike if below 20 Force.
  • Use Clairvoyant Strike to generate Circling Shadows buffs.
  • Consume Circling Shadows buffs with Project.
  • Use Shadow Strike when Find Weakness procs from Infiltration Tactics.
  • Follow the priority list and use higher priority abilities as often as possible.

Ideal:
  • Project with 2x Circling Shadows
  • Spinning Strike
  • Shadow Strike
  • Force Breach with Shadow Technique
  • Clairvoyant Strike
  • Saber Strike

Burst:
  • Battle Readiness
    • Use on every single cooldown for increased damage from Shadow Technique.
  • Blackout (with Masked Assault)
    • Use if above 50 Force to initiate a “burn phase” of your damage abilities.
  • Force Potency
    • Use on every single cooldown for increased critical chance to Project and Force Breach.

H3xum

30/0/10 or it's variants are entirely dependent on end game gearing. Otherwise you are just a sub par tank or gimped DPS.

6/32/3 is what I recommend leveling with.

Rotation:

Basic:
  • Use Saber Strike if below 20 Force.
  • Use Clairvoyant Strike to generate Circling Shadows buffs.
  • Consume Circling Shadows buffs with Project.
  • Use Shadow Strike when Find Weakness procs from Infiltration Tactics.
  • Follow the priority list and use higher priority abilities as often as possible.

Ideal:
  • Project with 2x Circling Shadows
  • Spinning Strike
  • Shadow Strike
  • Force Breach with Shadow Technique
  • Clairvoyant Strike
  • Saber Strike

Burst:
  • Battle Readiness
    • Use on every single cooldown for increased damage from Shadow Technique.
  • Blackout (with Masked Assault)
    • Use if above 50 Force to initiate a “burn phase” of your damage abilities.
  • Force Potency
    • Use on every single cooldown for increased critical chance to Project and Force Breach.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

That was actually the initial build I was looking at but I was told I'd be too soft by some randoms I was chatting with.

I might go this route....is there a way to respec?

Wallach

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

That was actually the initial build I was looking at but I was told I'd be too soft by some randoms I was chatting with.

Yeah, in the Combat Training quadrant of the fleet. Should be the southern-most guy on the outer ring on the Republic side.

Cystm

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Well, what are you more comfortable with? Getting in there and dishing out high amounts of damage while toeing the aggro line, or taking damage for a little longer and using your companions to pick up the slack in damage; which in itself is only feasible with gear upgrades every 5 levels or so and not really optimum with out presence buffs.

Alur

I hear you on that Cystm. 43 now on Scoundrel, healing spec'd of course...my poor Bowdaar hits like wet noodles even though I have all companions maxed on Qruul and 1 on my shadow =/. It's not hard or anything, just not as easy as it could be.

H3xum

Yeah, in the Combat Training quadrant of the fleet. Should be the southern-most guy on the outer ring on the Republic side.

Ok, sounds good, I'm going with that. The DPS roll is what I initially wanted but people didn't make it sound too viable so I went the tanky way, but, F it. I haven't gotten to the fleet yet, but, hopefully that's right around the corner.

Hmm weird. It won't let me create any characters on The Harbinger until I delete my two high level characters on Jedi Covenant. It's giving me a message that I've exceeded my character limit. I've deleted all of my reserved name characters because they're all taken after the merges so I'm down to those two now and yet it's still giving me problems.

Alur

Granted it was lowbie, but I ended up top objectives in the new WZ on my first playthrough. Thoughts? I love it! So fun.

I think it's the best yet. So many options for how to play it and ways to win - definitely good stuff. I've still yet to formulate what the best strat or two are...it seems every game every team goes at things completely differently, which I love.

Welp I just read that right now preferred players only get 2 characters per account until the changes come in. Guess I'll wait a bit to make a new character then.

Cystm

Granted it was lowbie, but I ended up top objectives in the new WZ on my first playthrough. Thoughts? I love it! So fun.

It has hardly popped for me, which is too bad, but what I have played has been pretty great.

Stack West. 2 on the Pylon, the rest of the team storms mid and takes control. Pylon D calls out inc. Capture Orbs and farm kills. Rinse and repeat.

Fantastic mix of kill farming for the face rolling masses and objectives.

MOAR.

H3xum

So another newbie question that you guys may or may not know the answer too.

Best Buy has the game for 5 bucks today on it's deal of the day

If I buy like 5 of them, does that mean I can use all 5 of those codes and get subbed for that long or can you only use 1 game code per account?

If I buy like 5 of them, does that mean I can use all 5 of those codes and get subbed for that long or can you only use 1 game code per account?

Pretty sure you can only use one retail code with the game.

Alur

It has hardly popped for me, which is too bad, but what I have played has been pretty great.

Stack West. 2 on the Pylon, the rest of the team storms mid and takes control. Pylon D calls out inc. Capture Orbs and farm kills. Rinse and repeat.

Fantastic mix of kill farming for the face rolling masses and objectives.

MOAR.

That's standard fare yeah, but there's also like a million variations. I've literally seen someone play it that way twice. Every other time one of the two teams is much more aggressive, if not both teams, and often tries to ninja the node before the blast (at bare minimum if not some other crazy odd numbered attack/defend strat) in order to prevent the team getting points for the round

That's not even counting the huge boon a few stealthers going opposite side are for delaying and possibly stealing/preventing node cap outright.

I will say the orbs seem like a bit of flavor just added for the hell of it. The return on them VS farming kills is not very good.

Only one retail key per account.

Cystm

That's standard fare yeah, but there's also like a million variations. I've literally seen someone play it that way twice. Every other time one of the two teams is much more aggressive, if not both teams, and often tries to ninja the node before the blast (at bare minimum if not some other crazy odd numbered attack/defend strat) in order to prevent the team getting points for the round

That's not even counting the huge boon a few stealthers going opposite side are for delaying and possibly stealing/preventing node cap outright.

I will say the orbs seem like a bit of flavor just added for the hell of it. The return on them VS farming kills is not very good.

It's the strongest method to start with before adapting to how the match unfolds. The next strat I would consider using from the start would be to cut to the chase and send 1 west and the rest to east to head them off before they ever capture a node, depending entirely on the strength of your group composition; alternatively you could as (you mentioned) send stealth to east and capitalize on defenders negligence or ADD.

Those I feel are the strongest baseline starting points that will deliver the most consistency.

The Orbs are as effective as your team makes them. In matches where you have a strong makeup, you will tend to see more gains by simply farming kills, but in matches where it's more even, the Orbs can be the deciding factor.

One of the things I enjoy the most about this match is the amount of variability with which you can adapt to, while still having a solid scoring mechanic in mid that blends in Kills and Objectives.

They really hit the sweet spot here on this Warzone. I only wish it popped more frequently!

Rokal

Good summary from the comments, and I couldn't agree more

The author has made the point that they are already giving away the best content for free while crippling it in such a way as to make that content much less enjoyable. So it means people can see everything they want in such a fashion that will make it unlikely they will sign up to get any more.

The article doesnt actually suggest everything should be made free, indeed it says that much of the best content, most of the single player campaign and all of the perks of playing for any length of time should be locked off, while still leaving a solid gaming experience for free players.

Which is a good plan. It means that free to play players will enjoy there time and with any luck will be left wanting more so that they fork out to get more perks and see the story unfold. Thats in stark contrast to the current system which lets people see everything but cripples the gameplay so seeing it all just isnt that fun.

This patch did not include additional character slots for preferred players or the ability to buy character slots. This means there are still "account-wide" unlocks that cost 2.5 as much as single-character unlocks, which can only be used on 2 characters. The only way to get more than two character slots is to subscribe, at which point you do not need the unlocks anymore. Their F2P model is rushed, alienating, and makes no sense.

The F2P model the author outlines would have been better for subscribers and free players, and probably more profitable for Bioware.

Milly79

Got all of this for 400k

Green-Spotted Gizka (145k)
Micro-Aggressor Droid (300k)
Speckled Blurrg (190k)
Phantom Helmet (350k)

parentheses = cheapest on GTN

Now, where is Trevin...

HBroward

Got all of this for 400k

Green-Spotted Gizka (145k)
Micro-Aggressor Droid (300k)
Speckled Blurrg (190k)
Phantom Helmet (350k)

parentheses = cheapest on GTN

Where is a mod I can bribe to ban you, I'm also blocking your number, no more gloating texts. You are killing me.

Cystm

Here is the first part of my changes to the PvP system:

ibrjBKdj4s2bTD.png

Not nearly as much as I wanted to do for Ranked Warzones, but I have to get back to Christmas shopping and it will just have to do for now. World PvP and some other general PvP ideas to come later.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Good summary from the comments, and I couldn't agree more

This patch did not include additional character slots for preferred players or the ability to buy character slots. This means there are still "account-wide" unlocks that cost 2.5 as much as single-character unlocks, which can only be used on 2 characters. The only way to get more than two character slots is to subscribe, at which point you do not need the unlocks anymore. Their F2P model is rushed, alienating, and makes no sense.

The F2P model the author outlines would have been better for subscribers and free players, and probably more profitable for Bioware.

Are you forgetting that any previous player can unsub and keep all his characters? So the price isn't out of line for everyone who isn't a sub. Not to mention many of the unlocks are beneficial to subs as well, like the cargo hold unlock which will give all your characters an extra bay right off the bat.

Frankly I don't see the issue with their system. You can play the game from 1-50 and enjoy all the content. I thought their hotbar restriction was kinda dumb and they've addressed that.

I think many of the people who are complaining about their system are former subscribers who know what's missing, if you have no prior experience with the game I'm sure it's fine.

Rokal

Are you forgetting that any previous player can unsub and keep all his characters? So the price isn't out of line for everyone who isn't a sub. Not to mention many of the unlocks are beneficial to subs as well, like the cargo hold unlock which will give all your characters an extra bay right off the bat.

The model should not have been built in such a way that the "non-subscriber" unlocks like races require you to subscribe to actually use them (get enough character slots to say, create 1 of each race).

You're saying "Yeah but if you subscribe and then unsubscribe, you can bypass X restriction" this is missing the point. The cash shop should not require you to subscribe in order to use it correctly.

The hotbar fiasco was a case of EA/Bioware reaching too far for cash and alienating players.

The fact that server-wide unlocks, which largely only benefit non-subscribers with 2 character slots, exist at 2.5x the cost of single unlocks is a case of EA/Bioware not thinking about their F2P model before they released it.

Look at something like crafting professions. As a premium player with two slots I can either...

Pay 420x2 (840) to buy two single-character unlocks for a crafting profession.
Pay 945 to unlock crafting account-wide (for my two characters)
Subscribe, at which point any characters I have get crafting for free, even if I unsub later

There is no situation currently where the 945 account wide purchase makes sense, it benefits nobody. So why is it in the store?

The character slot issue will be fixed eventually (well, I suppose nothing is a given) but it doesn't change the fact that what we have now is a mess.

Alur

I get your logic Rokal, but I just don't entirely agree.

You argue it makes no logical sense for some of these unlocks to be there because they are either ridiculously expensive, redundant, or comparatively useless versus subscribing for a small amount of time.

I'm not even saying you're wrong, I'm just saying...every business does this. Do you need that 2 GB extra RAM? Does it make that much of a difference to justify the dollars? What about a 64 GB iPhone versus 32 or 16? That 550 vs 580 graphics card? Fully loaded SUV versus the mid tier model that's $7000 cheaper? Standard edition versus collector's?

You see it as useless. I'm not even saying you're wrong, it is a useless item on the store in this context. But fools and their money will part, and if some idiot buys it, it doesn't hurt me, it doesn't hurt you, and it sure as hell isn't hurting anyone else.

Jeff Hickman said:
Additionally, in an upcoming patch (no exact date yet, but players won’t have to wait long), Preferred Status Players will be given four (4) additional character slots, which means that they will have a total of six character slots. As always, Free-to-Play Players can reach Preferred Status simply by purchasing anything from our online store or purchasing a physical copy of the game.

As others have noted, or should have if they did not, anyone who buys anything on the market will have 6 character slots in the very near future...so then your argument seems even more silly to me. Sorry.

I thought we had passed the trolling point for F2P a few weeks ago.

vilmer_

Queued up as dps on two different characters for the sm ops and there was a wait time of no more than 5 minutes each time. This is amazing.

StudioTan

Well, just hit 50 on my 8th character. What do I do with my life now?!

Heh, been playing since launch and still only have one 50 :p I'm not much of an altaholic, I prefer to focus on one character. My next highest is 45 and I also have a 25 and a few in the teens. Legacy level 38 as well so it's not like I don't play a lot lol.

Top Bottom