• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

daoster

I don't think you'll run into any times when you have to heal. If you want to DPS, that's what you should do. Especially if you are much better at it. You might lose a healer in a FP or something and someone might want you to switch, but if you aren't comfortable it's probably not gonna go too well. If by "not very good at it at all" you just mean not quite as good as DPS, maybe you should give it a go. It just takes practice.

I've played all three (50 sorc and 50 sage (lol, and 42 sage and 38 sage), 50 operative and 37 scoundrel, and 32 mercenary, all healing only) and in order ease of use (aka easy to learn and play) for me it goes: (1) Operative/Scoundrel (2) Sorcerer/Sage (3) Mercenary/Commando.

All that above is from PVP perspective. I have no idea where merc/commando heals are at in PVE since 1.3 came out. All I know is the number of great merc/commando healers in PVP is very small, and from playing my own it seems to take a bit more work due to the hard cast reliance compared to the other healing classes to output the same kind of HPS. What I'm saying is, you might not suck. It might be the class itself isn't a good fit for you and healing. It's a bit more of a learning curve IMO, and healing is kind of a mindset anyway.

Yeah. I mean, I've always played DPS, and the rest of my classes are DPS, so I just selected Mercenary cause I like the dual pistols.. (that's why I chose slinger over scoundrel...). But GAF Empire is, from what you guys tell me, dead, and I'm not in a guild on the Empire side, so when I get to level 50 (only level 26 or so right now), I figure if I was able to heal, I might be able to find groups easier for PVE stuff.

Ugh why is the Inquisitor storyline so much better than the Consular one? Only thing stopping me from playing my GAF character more... :( That and Qyzen is kind of a lame-o too.

From what I hear, Consular's story gets much better later on, while the reverse is true for Inquistor. I'm enjoying the Consular story, especially as a darkside, lol.

Alur

Yeah. I mean, I've always played DPS, and the rest of my classes are DPS, so I just selected Mercenary cause I like the dual pistols.. (that's why I chose slinger over scoundrel...). But GAF Empire is, from what you guys tell me, dead, and I'm not in a guild on the Empire side, so when I get to level 50 (only level 26 or so right now), I figure if I was able to heal, I might be able to find groups easier for PVE stuff.

Well in that case you may be right, if only for the simple fact it'll make your group finder queues for story mode raids shorter so that you can gear up and really get in a real raiding guild. And yeah, GAF Empire is just an alt guild now.

daoster said:
From what I hear, Consular's story gets much better later on, while the reverse is true for Inquistor. I'm enjoying the Consular story, especially as a darkside, lol.

Yeah, the consular story is great on the back end. I never thought much of the inquisitor one after the first chapter.

notworksafe

Really? Hmm...just finished up Balmorra on my Inquis but perhaps I'll jump back on the Consular and level them together.

I was just tired of being "tsk tsk'd" so much by NPCs when playing dark side in the Consular intro. It was kind of a bummer.

Ashodin

Really? Hmm...just finished up Balmorra on my Inquis but perhaps I'll jump back on the Consular and level them together.

I was just tired of being "tsk tsk'd" so much by NPCs when playing dark side in the Consular intro. It was kind of a bummer.

Playing Light Side on Inquisitor is awesome, everyone scolds me and tells me they're gonna fuck me up, and I'm all like, bring it bitch. I'll compassion the fuck out of you.

Consular has like the worst beginnings of all the classes in the game, it's just really boring first chapter.

notworksafe

Playing Light Side on Inquisitor is awesome, everyone scolds me and tells me they're gonna fuck me up, and I'm all like, bring it bitch. I'll compassion the fuck out of you.

And that's why I like playing dark side. People say they want to fuck me up and I reply "Just try it". :D My BH I play more "neutral". I'm just in it for the money, good or bad.

Consular has like the worst beginnings of all the classes in the game, it's just really boring first chapter.

Hmm okay. I'll keep it going and see what develops.

Ashodin

Knight has the best lightsaber acquiring in the game.

Knight = assemble it

Consular = discover it

Inquisitor = lol hand me down

Warrior = don't know, someone fill me in

playing inquisitor is so lol compared to the Jedi lightsaber acquisitions. Literally at the end of your quest it's like "oh yeah here's a lightsaber"

notworksafe

I've also decided that if I'm going to play a Jedi, screw crafting! So other than Slicing, what are the best gathering/investigation professions for easy money?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
You know the one thing I'm to the most excited about regarding tomorrow's patch? That we're finally getting the last of the content we've seen since the summer and that the next patch will be all new stuff that we don't know anything about yet. Even if it's Makeb all we've seen is a trailer. Looking forward to having more stuff to look forward to!

You know the one thing I'm to the most excited about regarding tomorrow's patch? That we're finally getting the last of the content we've seen since the summer and that the next patch will be all new stuff that we don't know anything about yet. Even if it's Makeb all we've seen is a trailer. Looking forward to having more stuff to look forward to!

Yea we just know some hints so far. The Rise of the Hutt Cartel seems to be the next batch of themed content, and the Illum relaunch event stuff is all we have heard of outside of Makeb.

vilmer_

Be nice but they said there would be delay on the next update because of staff holiday vacation, so next will likely be beyond the six week window.

Ahh that's right they mentioned that. They've been really keeping up with their promises of content at a very quick rate. I can't wait to try the new warzone tomorrow!

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Yea we just know some hints so far. The Rise of the Hutt Cartel seems to be the next batch of themed content, and the Illum relaunch event stuff is all we have heard of outside of Makeb.

Yeah. I also think we're going to start seeing more stuff that was developed mainly post launch. Although we know from early leaks they already had more stuff in development from pre-launch I'm thinking that content has likely been tweaked based on how people have reacted to the stuff they released and stuff people have been asking for over the first year. Plus whatever new direction the changes in management have brought.

I think we're going to start seeing them spread their wings more. At least that's my hope.

Wallach

Servers are already up, if anyone's awake.

New things I've seen people link are Cyan-Blue crystals, pieces of a Revan set and a remote control spaceship pet.

Like some of the new gear, have no interest in holiday items though. Wonder if they will roll content of previous packs into newer ones eventually or just keep releasing them as separate cartel packs. Taking items out and putting them direct on the cartel market I can see being not a popular thing with those spending ton of money on these things.

So how are server populations? I played this at release but found the later planets difficult to find groups to some of the heroics so I just skipped them.

So how are server populations? I played this at release but found the later planets difficult to find groups to some of the heroics so I just skipped them.

Much better now but at always the earlier planets have much higher pops and are easier to find groups for heroics. But on busy times you will see multiple instances of the later planets like Corellia even now.

ShaneB

I'm not the best one to answer this considering I've only been playing for a month, but on Jedi Covenant I've never had any issues where I've thought "man, this server is empty."

Zones might feel barren sometimes, but that is more due to zone design instead of population. I've never had any issues with grouping so far.

Alur

Jedi Covenant is great. 1-20 zones are packed, and I see about 80-100 during peak hours (sometimes multiple instances) as I've leveled my scoundrel from 20-40 the last little bit.

I'll be honest with you though - if not getting groups or heroics pissed you off, you might wanna temper those expectations heading back into the game. In my experience the percentage of folks doing those things isn't great no matter how well populated the planet is due to the time required and the fact that most folks are already overleveled. I often see folks spamming for heroics, but I also often see them spamming for some time to get a full group.

HBroward

Awesome, they fixed it so one handed lightsabers and blasters could be used in your offhand.

Ok, there are reports that HM TFB is either bugged or nerfed. A group did a fast clear and the giant Lobel miniboss wasn't there, and the last fight had missing mechanics, making it easier than it already was. I hope this was an oversight, because those mats from the boss were pretty nice.

HBroward

Gee, that sure seemed to work pretty damn well for you last time. Buying things at rock bottom. Seriously though, I wonder if the price of things from the first packs will increase now that everyone is trying to buy this new one... might want to snatch stuff up if you haven't yet.

daoster

Just pulled a throne out of my second ever pack. That's going straight on the auction. :D

I think when I get home, I'm just gonna buy some cartel packs and try to make some credits...might as well, because I'm not doing anything with my cartel coins and keep hoarding it

Alur

So how is the new warzone?

I think it's crazy fun. You got two nodes and a middle area which houses orbs. You get points for taking the orbs back to your node. If you can ninja both nodes right before the explosion you seem to get a big boost as well.

That's completely rambling and if you've never played it you won't understand a word of it...but it's fun. Lots to do to help your team. First game I was in of the new WZ no one knew what to do and we lost, but I figured it out from there and have coached folks along since.

It makes Civil War look even worse than it already looked because of the shit mechanics in it.

StudioTan

Having to buy Life Day stuff from the Market is a pretty shitty move. I'm not exactly angry about it, but it's disappointing.

That new Meditation Throne speeder thing is awesome though. I was looking for all the new stuff on the GTN and wondering why no one was selling anything until i remembered the 2 day waiting period before you could sell :p

UltraMav

Hrmm got Revan's chest piece in my first box and the next two all I got was a shitty pet. Hope the chest piece turns out to be rare.

Alur

Should I go full mystic with my Sage? PVP wise

You talking about gear? I haven't looked at any of the new stats for the Elite WH gear, but IIRC there's not any other set bonus you'd really be wanting. The 4 pc set bonus isn't much of anything though. My sorc has 5 pieces of mystic, though I did toy with trading in a couple 61 or 63 PVE armorings until they put the new gear on the PTR (thanks for that BW!).

Obviously if it's like WH though, certain pieces of the other set are better itemized for us but that's piece meal after the fact, and a lot of work to boot.

StudioTan

What did you think was going to happen?

Well, two main problems with it. One, ALL the Life Day stuff is there. There is absolutely nothing to get if you don't buy it off the Market. Have something you can acquire via drops or some quest or something. Two, even if you ignore point one, it's far too expensive. $20 for the whole pack? That's a bit nuts. That's 4 months worth of free coins and the items are limited time only so you either pony up real cash or you miss getting them.

As I said, I'm not going to rage quit over it or anything but I'll either get nothing or cave and feel like a bit of sucker for buying stuff :p.

Alur

Right now we are approaching 4 instances on the Republic fleet. I have never seen this before.

On our server we had 4 I believe on both sides on F2P launch day and maybe the day after around 8 EST or so. Nowadays it hovers around 2 full ones though.

vilmer_

On our server we had 4 I believe on both sides on F2P launch day and maybe the day after around 8 EST or so. Nowadays it hovers around 2 full ones though.

The amount of people who have come back is astounding. Since F2P the user base has skyrocketed and I'm sure the subs have as well. Great job by Bioware in keeping their promises of content and features. It truly is developing into a top tier MMO.

They really went overboard with the difficulty of these new space missions. 500 space coms for the grade 7 ship parts is silly with how little you get, and the current price people are charging for these parts, 700k+ each? :-\

They should have done a more gradual progression into this, but right now if you had top crafted ship components, you still are likely going to get wrecked unless you somehow were hoarding space coms.... then theres people either trolling or they just used the cartel coins to buy all the grade 7 parts as you got ppl claiming how easy they are :-\

I know they are supposed to be difficult, but I would have expected a better transition into them instead of the huge jump in difficulty from the last space mission to this new series.

Cystm

Just a few brief random thoughts about 1.6 so far...

• The new warzone is fucking fantastic.
  • They are really shooting their wad early by offering revan's armor via packs
  • This.... Lawnmower? Power Generator?

iCHF8gQNBaX9A.png

Is the fucking ugliest thing in this game.
  • I can't wait to PvP with ImpGAF
  • I am loving my sexy ass Sith Warrior.

I haven't forgotten our previous discussion about PvP, I am just too busy with work to delve into to it the way I want to.

Top Bottom