• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

HBroward

Yeah I can see the nerf, I just can't see destroying it completely. Nerf the resolve issues and the problem goes mostly away, or nerf the stun so it breaks on damage...hell, do both if you have to. But making it caster only makes it a lot less desirable.

Also make it so people can't right click the bubble buff off, so it can't be abused as it is now.

But yeah, a point update that is now being held back as the first "expansion" and now costing us money is more of a principle thing to me. It's not like I can't afford $10, but it's just another hoop to make all the raiders jump through to continue raiding and stuff. I just can't forsee any good for the game coming from this.

Alur

Yeah, I'm sure folks wouldn't mind some new flashpoints. They are kind of the forgotten content, but lots of folks do them every day. Some new ones would be interesting at least, and a nice change of pace. Maybe I'd stop getting Kaon every time I queue.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I have no problem with charging subscribers for new content, it just has to actually feel like *more* than would could be done in a major content patch that pretty much all MMO's tend to get once or twice a year. We don't know a lot about ROTHC so far, but I definitely hope it's more than just a single new quest zone and a level increase that itself kind of just seems like justification to call this an "expansion."

Hopefully in the coming months they will release new info that is exciting. At the advertised price, I'm not expecting any of the classic, major "expansion"-level additions like classes/races, but some kind of new features to really flesh out this expansion would be very welcome.

Also make it so people can't right click the bubble buff off, so it can't be abused as it is now.

But yeah, a point update that is now being held back as the first "expansion" and now costing us money is more of a principle thing to me. It's not like I can't afford $10, but it's just another hoop to make all the raiders jump through to continue raiding and stuff. I just can't forsee any good for the game coming from this.

They are also keeping up with shitting on free players by having it cost twice as much. It's already gone over poorly with many and they keep pushing it with stuff like that. It should be a flat $10 for all at most.

Milly79

Meh, I'm not surprised at all. $10 is not much, considering it will be larger than a game update, I will gladly play to keep the game up and running.

HBroward

At the very least if a non subscriber buys it for $20 it should include a one month sub as a carrot or something.

Edit: Ok, maybe half a month sub or something. Or at least one each of all the weekly unlocks.

Cystm

They needed to release way more info on this. This is just.. 5 levels worth of content.

Give us more info, because as of right now, I think we are all for the most part underwhelmed.

I have no problem with charging subscribers for new content, it just has to actually feel like *more* than would could be done in a major content patch that pretty much all MMO's tend to get once or twice a year. We don't know a lot about ROTHC so far, but I definitely hope it's more than just a single new quest zone and a level increase that itself kind of just seems like justification to call this an "expansion."

Hopefully in the coming months they will release new info that is exciting. At the advertised price, I'm not expecting any of the classic, major "expansion"-level additions like classes/races, but some kind of new features to really flesh out this expansion would be very welcome.

Yeah, this ^

Alur

I'm hoping the 5 new levels take quite a bit to get. 1-50 is fairly simple, 5 levels is gonna be cake...

If it's like WoW the EXP required will be like double whatever the last level was, increasing greatly to the final level. Still, all told for a regular player it'll probably take a week or two tops.

The problem is no matter how much EXP they make it, folks will still rush through it to get back to being capped lol.

Wallach

Not really looking forward to trying to find more hotbar space for new skills from 50-55 on my Scoundrel or Operative. Not sure my Sniper even has much room.

They needed to release way more info on this. This is just.. 5 levels worth of content.

Give us more info, because as of right now, I think we are all for the most part underwhelmed.

Which has me fearing theres really not much more to it. Why put up a page and try to get people to preorder with bullet points, and not include all the extras involved? That's pretty darn stupid to reveal it like this and try to get people to preorder by early Jan with such little info?

Alur

Which has me fearing theres really not much more to it. Why put up a page and try to get people to preorder with bullet points, and not include all the extras involved? That's pretty darn stupid to reveal it like this and try to get people to preorder by early Jan with such little info?

I just wonder...how hard is it to hire a PR department in 2012? Seriously. I'd fucking advise them for a free sub lol. They just make gaffe after gaffe like whoever is making the decisions is just out of touch with how the MMO and gaming worlds work.

So yet again they've put their foot in their mouth, got their userbase all riled up...and maybe they'll backtrack and say yes it has X, Y, and Z in it as well...but it'll be too late, and that's that many more players they'll have turned off or have caused to quit.

I just don't fucking understand it. The game is good. Why be so idiotic with your marketing and PR decisions?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I just don't fucking understand it. The game is good. Why be so idiotic with your marketing and PR decisions?

Because Biowarelol and/or Because Ealol

Draxal

Yeah, I'm sure folks wouldn't mind some new flashpoints. They are kind of the forgotten content, but lots of folks do them every day. Some new ones would be interesting at least, and a nice change of pace. Maybe I'd stop getting Kaon every time I queue.

I'm not sure how they're going to do the new flashpoints, I mean I don't want a new Black Talon/Esseles situation again (fun first time but having a person wanting to see the story in subsequent runs all the time in hard mode is a snooze fest).

Anoregon

I'm not sure how they're going to do the new flashpoints, I mean I don't want a new Black Talon/Esseles situation again (fun first time but having a person wanting to see the story in subsequent runs all the time in hard mode is a snooze fest).

That's just an overall issue with combining features like "story driven and fully voiced" (which are good things) within the MMO framework. MMO's generally rely on repetition of content, and those very same features that help make TOR unique end up a hindrance when you've already done the content a few times and have no interest in spending the time to fully experience the story. You just want to spacebar so you can get back to playing your character.

Milly79

Undying title needed. Stat.

And Kephess is a cool guy, it's those trenchcutters in his employ I have issues with...

Odezi made a good point: I could always get the warlord title... Not sure if I want to grind out 90 levels of freaking valor though, especially on a Marauder. Really doesn't suit my playstyle too well.

Eh, they already added 2 flashpoints since launch and it was a non issue.

Milly79

Just saw my first ever speed hack on DK... Guy FLEW past me. No speeder and he was an assassin. There's no way a rocket boost or force speed would give him that much speed. I wish I were frapsing.

As others have said for $20 it doesn't seem like there's enough in it to justify its price. Of course they're going to show us new things in it but I'm fearing it may just be "Hey here's another tier of space missions! You guys like space missions, don't you?"

It does sort of remind me of how LotRO handled some of their expansions. I didn't play those but just how much content were in those packs in comparison to this?

As others have said for $20 it doesn't seem like there's enough in it to justify its price. Of course they're going to show us new things in it but I'm fearing it may just be "Hey here's another tier of space missions! You guys like space missions, don't you?"

It does sort of remind me of how LotRO handled some of their expansions. I didn't play those but just how much content were in those packs in comparison to this?

Moria was a pretty big expansion, and really was the one that felt like a true expansion rather than a small content update. The ones after that like Mirkwood and Rohan were pretty small, only added in a couple new zones and maybe a few weeks worth of content.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I pre-ordered already. $10 isn't that much and I'm quite confident this isn't going to be simply a current planet's-worth of content, I'm sure it will be super-sized. Even if it's 1/4 of the size of a typical expansion it's also 1/4 of the price.

Looking forward to finding out more about it soon though. If they somewhat stick to their 6-8 week update cycle then I expect we get this around end of March-mid April. We'll probably get the Ilum update in Feb.

Cathar were not stated as being part of Makeb. They likely will just be added eventually with one of the random content updates. Cathar will also be for purchase to all, even subscribers on the cartel market.

Cystm

Maaan I just unsubbed last night too and then they hit me with this. :p

ik7lKWmiTM6jj.gif

Alur

Have they said if the expansion will have new class specific quests?

They said:

AllisonBerryman said:
Hi everyone - I asked Jeff Hickman for some clarification for you on whether Makeb will feature an extension of class stories. Here's the info:

"The intent for Rise of the Hutt Cartel is to continue your character's story, but envisioned as part of the ongoing struggle of the Empire vs. the Republic. There are lots of great moments for you to enjoy, and it will be shared as two clear storylines. No class specific storylines are included, though I know you guys are going to love what RotHC has to offer."

We hope this helps clarify!

It's just an Empire and Republic storyline, basically. Everyone will experience the same thing, just with a slightly skewed perspective of your character class it appears.

UltraMav

It warms my cockles that you still have that saved Cystm. :)

Since apparently I am EA's bitch I decided to just throw caution to the wind and six month sub myself and pre-order the "expansion." I have a problem.

Kinyou

They said:

It's just an Empire and Republic storyline, basically. Everyone will experience the same thing, just with a slightly skewed perspective of your character class it appears.
Hm, that's too bad. But now that I think about it, just one planet would probably be way too short for a class storyline anyway.

Measley

Thinking about jumping back into this game, but just as a single player RPG, and not really worrying about the MMO elements.

Is that feasible? Can I play this game for free and just enjoy the story elements? I really have no desire to do flashpoints or warzones or anything else.

Cystm

Thinking about jumping back into this game, but just as a single player RPG, and not really worrying about the MMO elements.

Is that feasible? Can I play this game for free and just enjoy the story elements? I really have no desire to do flashpoints or warzones or anything else.

It is.

The whole story aspect is free so you can just approach it and play through all 8 class stories for free

mileS

Dumb question time.

What happens if I sub. Have more than 2 characters, and eventually let the sub run out or cancel? Do I get to keep them? does it make you delete any?

Dumb question time.

What happens if I sub. Have more than 2 characters, and eventually let the sub run out or cancel? Do I get to keep them? does it make you delete any?

You keep them and can use them but in a future update they are going to lock out players to only 5-6 of those characters unless you pay to unlock more slots if you go free. The characters you make wont be deleted but if you got more than that limit, you will have to choose which ones you want to unlock and the ones over the limit will be locked out unless you pay extra for more slots.

mileS

The one thing I've noticed about this game is how nice the community is overall. Yea sometimes the chat can be awful but find me an MMO that isn't like that. Everyone I have talked to in-game and in Flashpoints has been super super nice. Along with everyone in this thread from what I've seen. Maybe that changes the more you get into PvP? I'm not sure.. I ran a couple today and was surprised just how much fun it is. I'm only a level 17 Sniper so I know once I get all the abilities and talents it will be way more fun. Overall I'm just really looking forward to finishing the story, leveling and getting into the PvP a bit.

H3xum

So I'm a lvl 25 Shadow that just got onto Nar Shaada

Is there ever going to be a point when I'm not poor as crap? I'm biochem and I try to make some decent stuff but recently I've just been trying to sell the mats from bioanalysis. I had one successful sale but they seem sporadic.

Top Bottom