• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Heysoos

Haha, no worries, didn't think it'd be this complicated finding the gaf guild.

Well, the problem is that the GAF guild is only really alive over on the Republic side. :) There is an Imperial GAF guild, but it's mostly for alts for the Republic guild and rarely has anyone playing on it. You're welcome to join it, but honestly I'd advise against it unless you like playing solo. If you're committed to playing on the imp side though, one of our GAF imp players might be able to get you into one of their guilds.

Azih

Well, the problem is that the GAF guild is only really alive over on the Republic side. :) There is an Imperial GAF guild, but it's mostly for alts for the Republic guild and rarely has anyone playing on it. You're welcome to join it, but honestly I'd advise against it unless you like playing solo. If you're committed to playing on the imp side though, one of our GAF imp players might be able to get you into one of their guilds.

Got it. I'll solo my first character then. Go over to the other side for my next character.

Cystm

Imperial GAF is alive in SA's guild... "That's no Goon".

I played a single Warzone yesterday. I think I am going to be taking a break until they release something new. I just wasn't feeling it.

Alur

I played a single Warzone yesterday. I think I am going to be taking a break until they release something new. I just wasn't feeling it.

Speaking of which. I threw a generous amount of cursing your way about 3 or 4 days ago Mr. Cystm.

You posted that XCom: Enemy Unknown pic and I was like "what's that?". Coincidentally, I had also just taken a break from SWTOR and started playing games on Steam. $30+ dollars later I am engulfed in killing aliens. You cost me bones, sir.

Bones.

Lots of them.

I'll forgive you because it's awesome as hell though. Perfect fit for me after FTL because I was looking for something fairly similar. Not the same thing, but the attachment to my oddly named crew is.

As for releasing something new in SWTOR, have they talked about when the next patch is heading up on the test server yet? I haven't been keeping up at all.

Cystm

Speaking of which. I threw a generous amount of cursing your way about 3 or 4 days ago Mr. Cystm.

You posted that XCom: Enemy Unknown pic and I was like "what's that?". Coincidentally, I had also just taken a break from SWTOR and started playing games on Steam. $30+ dollars later I am engulfed in killing aliens. You cost me bones, sir.

Bones.

Lots of them.

I'll forgive you because it's awesome as hell though. Perfect fit for me after FTL because I was looking for something fairly similar. Not the same thing, but the attachment to my oddly named crew is.

As for releasing something new in SWTOR, have they talked about when the next patch is heading up on the test server yet? I haven't been keeping up at all.

That game is so fucking good and is likely going to be my GOTY. Dark Souls and a few others are on deck. I say this knowing that I am doing it wrong, but I really need to get through them.

The X's are games that are essentially done. Sleepy Dogs for example has been completed, but I still need to find that last damn trunk mission to get 100% complete. XCOM will still be played through again, but the campaign is complete. Hotline Miami was.. a bit like playing a flash game with a really fucking good sound track. I enjoyed Frog Fractions more.
iyTO5b0cyDQNe.png
That's right. I have never played the Assassin's Creed franchise. I got about midway through Mirror's Edge and I am only a few levels from completing Darksiders. I own every single AC game and while I am okay putting them off as I have clearly had no problem doing that before, I mistakenly jumped into AC 1 with the intention to simply play it for ten minutes and then move on, but ended up collecting every possible flag in the first area and an hour later I found myself having a hard time putting it down. That's just the few games I have installed atm too, mind you. I feel like I am on the precipice of that Steam backlog deluge.

I am also checking out Tera. I am still in the starter zone and have two whole abilities. It's fun so far, I guess? The combat has potential, but it is way too early to saying anything definitively.

Edit: FTL needs to be portable. That game is fucking great, but I think it would be a lot better on the go.

Alur

Hotline Miami was.. a bit like playing a flash game with a really fucking good sound track.

Hotline Miami is the reason I actually stayed away from SWTOR. That was the first game I had beaten in ages. I loved the shit out of it and am still saddened there weren't more levels. It oozed awesome and yes the soundtrack was amazing.

I feel like I am on the precipice of that Steam backlog deluge.

I had one game, one, on my Steam account before the week leading up to Christmas. I now have 40+ due to bundles/trading/whatever. I know that feel.

I am also checking out Tera. I am still in the starter zone and have two whole abilities. It's fun so far, I guess? The combat has potential, but it is way too early to saying anything definitively.

I don't know what class you are playing (I played a lancer to 32) but the combat is definitely a nice shot in the arm. My advice to you as a fellow MMOer would be to keep at it until you get to your first BAMs (somewhere around 14-15 if I remember correctly). Shit was as awesome as most boss fights in raids, and that was just the first one. Nice adrenaline rush.

Edit: FTL needs to be portable. That game is fucking great, but I think it would be a lot better on the go.

I'd love this as well for my phone/iPad. Crazy fun. I've been playing with the mods, specifically the one that turns the starter ship B version into a Star Destroyer and another ship into the Death Star. Good times. See, I'm kind of still playing SWTOR...right?

I've been playing TERA a bit and I feel the combat is a bit slow. Though I'll chalk that up to being a Berserker but I don't know if it's the game's fault or my fault. I guess it's because I'm new but things seem to take forever to kill compared to people around me including other Berserkers. I don't know. It feels like there's more to the combat other than clicking or holding down mouse buttons and ability keys but I just haven't figured it out yet.

H3xum

This freaking game....

I was finally getting into it, I got a 30 day sub and started playing and then I was gone for 10 days on a business related trip and when I came home my sub was over.

I attempted to login and play my guy without resubbing but it said I had to verify an e-mail address, so I clicked the message which popped up their page, I logged in, verified, and tried again. No dice.

I searched forums and tons of people were experiencing this and the official solution was to re-verify the e-mail. So I had yet another e-mail sent to me with instructions to click a link on it and then validate my credentials. When I log in successfully it says that the verification code has expired.

So basically I'm locked out of the account as far as I can tell.

Heysoos

This freaking game....

I was finally getting into it, I got a 30 day sub and started playing and then I was gone for 10 days on a business related trip and when I came home my sub was over.

I attempted to login and play my guy without resubbing but it said I had to verify an e-mail address, so I clicked the message which popped up their page, I logged in, verified, and tried again. No dice.

I searched forums and tons of people were experiencing this and the official solution was to re-verify the e-mail. So I had yet another e-mail sent to me with instructions to click a link on it and then validate my credentials. When I log in successfully it says that the verification code has expired.

Might be time to call Customer Support. The good news is, they're pretty competent at their job. One of the better CS experiences I've had.

Cystm

This freaking game....

I am sorry you have had such shitty luck with this game. It's really terrible that it has hassled from the word go.

Draxal

I didn't fall for the main board bait thread this time. Haven't been playing due to lack of internet, kinda want to finally finish the consular storyline (on voss atm) and the continue on the agent one (i love the new cash black imp officer outfit). I honestly think f2p probably got additional money spent from subscribers buying additional stuff then probably nonsubs paying.

I didn't fall for the main board bait thread this time. Haven't been playing due to lack of internet, kinda want to finally finish the consular storyline (on voss atm) and the continue on the agent one (i love the new cash black imp officer outfit). I honestly think f2p probably got additional money spent from subscribers buying additional stuff then probably nonsubs paying.
What was it this time?

Also yeah there are tons of Cartel Market items on the GTN. I've been searching every day for unlocks for cheap on there since I'm not a subscriber. I should probably sub up sometime though as I really want to do just about everything in this game.

daoster

What was it this time?

Also yeah there are tons of Cartel Market items on the GTN. I've been searching every day for unlocks for cheap on there since I'm not a subscriber. I should probably sub up sometime though as I really want to do just about everything in this game.

Same sex marriage is "regulated" to one planet only! Those bigots!

Well, at least that's what I kinda got from gleaning over some of the posts this morning.

Well, at least that's what I kinda got from gleaning over some of the posts this morning.
People making mountains out of mole hills again. The BioWare and SWTOR hate on this forum has gotten so hilariously sad.

I wouldn't be surprised, most of the folks decked out in cartel market stuff are subscribers. And people were buying crazy amount of cartel packs at a time. Only they will know, but wouldn't be surprised that lot of their income since f2p is still coming from subscribers and the cash shop, and not f2p players. Seeing how they keep changing the free/preferred status stuff, perhaps it's not really working on that end.

Alur

I honestly think f2p probably got additional money spent from subscribers buying additional stuff then probably nonsubs paying.

They've made enough off all the folks I know (and what you others have said in this thread) and myself to cover a lot of extra months worth of subbing. I'd say you are far and away right, but I guess I'm not surprised.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

No, it's worse. Even Fox is jumping on this with hilariously bad "reporting".

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/01/14/star-wars-game-segregates-gay-characters-on-gay-planet/

The gay planet will appear only in an expansion pack called “Rise of the Hutt Cartel,” and it will include characters with canned, flirtatious dialog for same-sex players. The move has generated controversy among everyone involved, with some calling for a separation of sexual preference from the game, and others lambasting what they say feel like digital segregation.

Rokal

I've been playing TERA a bit and I feel the combat is a bit slow. Though I'll chalk that up to being a Berserker but I don't know if it's the game's fault or my fault. I guess it's because I'm new but things seem to take forever to kill compared to people around me including other Berserkers. I don't know. It feels like there's more to the combat other than clicking or holding down mouse buttons and ability keys but I just haven't figured it out yet.

Berserker is probably the slowest class in the game. Your attacks have long charge times and some of them lock you in place (less as you level) or into a long animation, but your attacks hit like a truck. I loved the class and how you really had to plan your attacks, especially vs BAMs. If you're looking for something faster, Warrior and Slayer are probably more your style.

TERA looks and plays great but I thought the quest system and the story (or lack thereof) was one of the worst the genre had to offer. I still wonder what SWTOR would be like if it had combat more like TERA, if the quest system wasn't the only innovation it had to offer the genre. Actually aiming blaster shots, feeling connected to your lightsaber attacks instead of just watching elaborate non-interactive animations, etc. It could have had broad-enough appeal and been refreshing enough to pull the WoW numbers they were looking for.

The last couple MMOs to come out have been heart-breaking with opposite strengths and weaknesses but no MMO really nailing everything. This Penny Arcade comic summed it up last year and it's still true

i-5SpGRMQ-950x10000.jpg

Yaska

1.7 details out on the main page, a Gree event ( recurring for lvl 50s) and a reputation system for different factions (seems to unlock titles).

Heysoos

http://www.swtor.com/gameupdates
GET READY TO HELP THE GREE - YOUR PROWESS WILL BE GREATLY REWARDED!

Adventure with other Level 50 players or journey alone to assist the Gree in their continual pursuit of information. Those who are brave enough to help the Gree will be rewarded for their service.

Events are available to Free-to-Play Players and Subscribers at no additional cost. Visit the Free-to-Play Features Chart for more information.

Visit the Cartel Market and find items to add to your arsenal. Need Cartel Coins? Buy Now.
NEW RECURRING EVENT: RELICS OF THE GREE

Explore Ilum's contested area in the Western Ice Shelf to uncover the mysterious purpose of the Gray Secant, an enormous ancient Gree starship.
Get ready to face a powerful opponent that awaits you at the center of this ancient vessel.
Earn exclusive Gree technology, including highly-advanced weapon and armor!
Look for opportunities to join this recurring event throughout the rest of the year. More details to come!

NEW SYSTEM: GALACTIC REPUTATION

Check out an all new exciting way to level up your character.
Advance through six ranks of increasing prestige: “Outsider”, "Newcomer", "Friend", "Hero", "Champion", and "Legend".
Earn Reputation Points by completing missions for allies such as the Gree and the Voss, or for military divisions within the Republic and the Empire.
Galactic Reputation is tied to your character’s Legacy, so enjoy earned Reputation Points and ranks across all characters in your Legacy!

Yooni called it.

This isn't what they were talking about when they said they were going to revisit ilum, right?

Pretty sure it is. They are basically putting PVE objectives in the pvp area to fight over. Says its going to be recurring throughout the year and is not a one time event, so looks like a carrot on stick to draw ppl to illum to fight.

Sounds like it won't be permanent though and instead will come and go?

Kinda sounds like it will be like a dynamic event that comes and goes? Hope the frequency of it is not something that they turn off and back on every few weeks/month. Make it a limited type of event that comes and goes during the week so that players will flock to illum to battle.

I'm guessing this is probably the last major update before the expansion pack comes out.

I dunno, they still haven't revealed anything about the expansion.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Pretty sure it is. They are basically putting PVE objectives in the pvp area to fight over. Says its going to be recurring throughout the year and is not a one time event, so looks like a carrot on stick to draw ppl to illum to fight.

Sounds like it won't be permanent though and instead will come and go?

Explore Ilum's contested area in the Western Ice Shelf

That's the key word right there. I think if this PVE content can generate the spontaneous PVP we had during the Rakghoul event it's going to be great.

I don't have much opinion on the rep grind as I've never done much of that in an MMO except in AoC. New forms of progression are always welcome though.

HBroward

I never claimed there would be an event, merely showed Yooni a comment posted on Reddit by someone who had claimed to have datamined this info about an event that was added in the last patch. But at least you get to keep leveling Kephess instead of OMG GOTTA GRIND OUT THE EVENT!!1!!!1

If the rep rewards are nothing amazing, don't mind. Would be nice if the rep though were retroactive for what we already did, but I doubt it. If it's just stuff like titles, then I don't really have much interest.... I never enable titles heh.

ShaneB

I love titles, so I wish there were a million of them to unlock. lol

Also, that "gay planet" thread makes my head hurt. I know I should've avoided it.

Also, that "gay planet" thread makes my head hurt. I know I should've avoided it.
The hilarious thing is that it took two weeks for people to even care about it and form a faux outrage over it. Even then people are too stupid to learn why they're doing it.

The hate for this MMO is strong on NeoGAF.

StudioTan

That thread reads like the end result of some internet Telephone game, just a complete and utter distortion of the facts and then outrage based on that incorrect information.

Heysoos

haha that thread is a complete clusterfuck. People don't even bother reading anymore, and constantly make completely misleading headlines. It's like our own little Fox News.

Veezy

que?
haha that thread is a complete clusterfuck. People don't even bother reading anymore, and constantly make completely misleading headlines. It's like our own little Fox News.

That thread reads like the end result of some internet Telephone game, just a complete and utter distortion of the facts and then outrage based on that incorrect information.

The hilarious thing is that it took two weeks for people to even care about it and form a faux outrage over it. Even then people are too stupid to learn why they're doing it.

The hate for this MMO is strong on NeoGAF.

I did what I could to fight the good fight, but understanding a situation completely versus believing sensationalist faux journalism is an uphill battle.

CzarTim

Mods of the GAF guild: torgaf.com will be going down on the 29th unless someone takes it over. There is a post on the officer section with the details. If you don't have access, PM me here.

Top Bottom