• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

The combat and the BAM action kept me invested in it, but I didn't know a soul in that game and they finally merged servers in SWTOR so I went back to it. I petered off at level 31 or 32. I was playing a Lancer. I had joined Believe, the GAF guild, but everyone on was pretty much max level and we were only like two months in when I started so it felt like I was on an island.

I honestly didn't find the story/world/quest setup any worse than WoW's was. It just didn't have a familiar cast of characters for me to be attached to. How far did you guys get leveling?

Problem was that the story/content presentation was extremely generic old school. Even current WoW at least has interesting quest presentation and attempts some story elements. Other recent games like GW2, TSW, TOR all have pushed for more interaction with the game world with story to help make you care. Tera questing felt like a huge step back in presentation. Fun combat and gorgeous graphics, but completely soulless world killed any interest.

Be interesting to spend more time with it onces its free though just to play it for the combat and pretty shiny graphics

The combat and the BAM action kept me invested in it, but I didn't know a soul in that game and they finally merged servers in SWTOR so I went back to it. I petered off at level 31 or 32. I was playing a Lancer. I had joined Believe, the GAF guild, but everyone on was pretty much max level and we were only like two months in when I started so it felt like I was on an island.

I honestly didn't find the story/world/quest setup any worse than WoW's was. It just didn't have a familiar cast of characters for me to be attached to. How far did you guys get leveling?
I think I'm around 17 or 18. I know it's low and it doesn't sound like I gave the game a chance but those first ten levels at the starter zone were pretty boring. Then heading into the woods area I finished a couple parts of that place and just stopped.

I enjoy the combat but those quests aren't fun at all.

Cystm

I think I'm around 17 or 18. I know it's low and it doesn't sound like I gave the game a chance but those first ten levels at the starter zone were pretty boring. Then heading into the woods area I finished a couple parts of that place and just stopped.

I enjoy the combat but those quests aren't fun at all.

The best part of Tera is the combat, which you can't really appreciate at the earlier levels, like almost entirely.

I got up to twenty.... Six? Or close to it with my slayer, and picked up some great abilities that really open up that class, I can see it being fantastic at max level, particularly in PvP. That's what keeps me going with the game. That said, PvP is locked out on my trial account, or they don't have lowbie PvP at all, so thats all nebulous and strictly in theory.

I hate everything else about the game though, the setting, the pegasus taxis, the cutesy character models,

Cystm

The character limit on my phone is terrible. Forgive the double post.

While playing my Slayer I can relate character abilities to those found in TOR, particularly Gaurd/Jugg, and you can see just how much better the classes would be with similar mechanics found in Tera.

This is coming from someone that thoroughly enjoys the combat in TOR.

With the dynamic questing and other questing mechanics (for example, getting credit for enemy kills without the archaic function of having to tag it before everyone else.) That are found in GW2.

Cystm

Fuck I need a new phone.

TOR would be a better game if it would renovate the areas I touched on.

More when I get home, posting from my phone is dredful.

Draxal

Problem was that the story/content presentation was extremely generic old school. Even current WoW at least has interesting quest presentation and attempts some story elements. Other recent games like GW2, TSW, TOR all have pushed for more interaction with the game world with story to help make you care. Tera questing felt like a huge step back in presentation. Fun combat and gorgeous graphics, but completely soulless world killed any interest.

Be interesting to spend more time with it onces its free though just to play it for the combat and pretty shiny graphics

Gotta agree here, it had korean presentation/grind which was a bit annoying.

The ranged classes not being able to kite properly also annoyed me a ton (couldn't cast instant while running making chars root themselves for a second).

I'm honestly more interested in the secret world

Alur

I'm honestly more interested in the secret world

I dabbled in that for all of an hour or two after SWTOR and TERA not long after it released (3 weeks maybe?) and I just couldn't hack the visuals. It looked like shit to me compared to those two, and I couldn't get past it. I'm shallow, I know. The concept seemed interesting...but my character and the world was just like stepping back in a console time machine.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I dabbled in that for all of an hour or two after SWTOR and TERA not long after it released (3 weeks maybe?) and I just couldn't hack the visuals. It looked like shit to me compared to those two, and I couldn't get past it. I'm shallow, I know. The concept seemed interesting...but my character and the world was just like stepping back in a console time machine.

Yeah, I agree, the environments were pretty nice but the animations are horrible.

TERA is beautiful and I love the designs and environment but the leveling is just....ugh. It's tolerable the first time but there is only 1 path for progression. I played the Korean version, NA beta and then live. I can't stomach going through the Isle of Dawn for a 5th or 6th time.

Draxal

EA pleased so far with SWTOR since going F2P and citing it as one of the reasons for the quarters earnings

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/01/31/ea-pleased-with-swtor-f2p-so-far/

I believe it, the people who are left probably put a shitload of money into the game (just look at the auction house). F2P ist just better at fully monetizing those people.

I just wish the super rare stuff in the cartel packs weren't so rare and could be bough in the cartel market directly but cest la vie.

Heysoos

Okay, so leveling without trying to hit ranked wz comms cap makes reaching 50 so much better. Such a time sink :lol.

Also I'm not sure if it's just me but the server lag is pissing me off.

Okay, so leveling without trying to hit ranked wz comms cap makes reaching 50 so much better. Such a time sink :lol.

Also I'm not sure if it's just me but the server lag is pissing me off.

Theres been a lot of lag and disconnects these past 3 days, bunch of complaints on the forum. Was fine for me today but yesterday I kept getting booted and it was unplayable.

Milly79

Servers have been fine for me. The two days before it were prettttttty terrible. I think things are sorted out for the most part.

Mordeccai

So against my better judgement I kind of want to give an MMO a spin. I played SWG for two years when I was like fourteen and loved the SHIT out of that game. Had a great guild who welcomed my annoying teenage ass and somehow put up with me, actually still talk to a few of them today. Quit that when the CURB hit as my entire guild basically disbanded and then jumped ship to WoW which I played up until the end of WOTLK and then quit because it was fucking with my college hard core.

I'm trying to decide between this, Guild Wars, and Tera. Now I know SWTOR and Tera are free so I may as well try em out but I was wondering if anybody here has any input? I didn't mind WoW's combat much at all and never got that big into PvP, I used to wreck BG's with an ele shammy a few times a month but that was it.

As of now I'm heavily leaning towards SWTOR because I love the hell out of star wars and if its anything like old swg I'm sold in a heart beat.

Cystm

It is nothing like SWG.

No game is really like SWG.

So against my better judgement I kind of want to give an MMO a spin. I played SWG for two years when I was like fourteen and loved the SHIT out of that game. Had a great guild who welcomed my annoying teenage ass and somehow put up with me, actually still talk to a few of them today. Quit that when the CURB hit as my entire guild basically disbanded and then jumped ship to WoW which I played up until the end of WOTLK and then quit because it was fucking with my college hard core.

I'm trying to decide between this, Guild Wars, and Tera. Now I know SWTOR and Tera are free so I may as well try em out but I was wondering if anybody here has any input? I didn't mind WoW's combat much at all and never got that big into PvP, I used to wreck BG's with an ele shammy a few times a month but that was it. 

As of now I'm heavily leaning towards SWTOR because I love the hell out of star wars and if its anything like old swg I'm sold in a heart beat.

Individually they are all flawed in their own ways, but seeing that you prefer a Star Wars setting, this would be the logical choice.I prefer the combat of Tera, the dynamic questing in GW2 and the story and Star Wars atmosphere in TOR.

Browse the OP if you haven't already. Download TOR and roll a Republic character on Jedi Covenant with the rest of GAF.

If you run across a character named Yooni, Kill on sight.

BillyBats

Banned
EA pleased so far with SWTOR since going F2P and citing it as one of the reasons for the quarters earnings

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/01/31/ea-pleased-with-swtor-f2p-so-far/

Good to hear. I keep seeing "SWTOR lost so much money lol, bomb." type comments everywhere but no real numbers to back up the claims. It's a really good game and I find it so weird that many people have outright anger against it. Just read the comments in that article (especially a poster named GreaterDivinity...he/she is making sure NO ONE enjoys the game lol) or any thread mentioning it on GAF.

Mordeccai

No game is really like SWG.

Individually they are all flawed in their own ways, but seeing that you prefer a Star Wars setting, this would be the logical choice.I prefer the combat of Tera, the dynamic questing in GW2 and the story and Star Wars atmosphere in TOR.

Browse the OP if you haven't already. Download TOR and roll a Republic character on Jedi Covenant with the rest of GAF.

If you run across a character named Yooni, Kill on sight.

Thanks for the info man.

If I want to roll a healer, I should go Consular/Sage correct?

Milly79

Sage: Squishy, annoying as shit if you're specc'd into stun bubble. Semi-mobile.
Scoundrel: Free heal under 30%, plus rolling dots. Very mobile.
Commando: The tank of the healers. Can take a massive beating. The least mobile of the 3.

I'd say Scoundrel, Sage, Commando in terms of difficulty of play (just from word of mouth).

Cystm

Who are you even playing on now Cystm? :p

I log in on my Sith Jugg from time to time. Really just waiting for some new content. I have a lot of other games to play while the game is stagnant.

Natural Selection and XCOM being the most played out of all of them.

Sage: Squishy, annoying as shit if you're specc'd into stun bubble. Semi-mobile.
Scoundrel: Free heal under 30%, plus rolling dots. Very mobile.
Commando: The tank of the healers. Can take a massive beating. The least mobile of the 3.

I'd say Scoundrel, Sage, Commando in terms of difficulty of play (just from word of mouth).

Don't make Sage your first class. You'll hate the game. Play a scoundrel. The story is fantastic and the class is a lot of fun. Sage is too imo, but the story drags ass until chapter 3.

Mordeccai

Oooh, I love DOTs and HOTs. It'll make me feel right at home from my days of being a druid and shammy. Scoundrel it is. I'll make the character tomorrow night and contact the gaf guild then. Thanks guys

Alur

Don't make Sage your first class. You'll hate the game. Play a scoundrel. The story is fantastic and the class is a lot of fun. Sage is too imo, but the story drags ass until chapter 3.

As one of the resident healers in the thread, I'd have to say I disagree with you here Cystm. I know you are just talking about story, but...the actual gameplay of a scoundrel/operative from 1-20 and really even 1-30 is absolutely soul crushing IMO and I have both a 50 operative healer and 50 scoundrel healer that I had to slog through. Just not a lot of tools in the beginning and the class feels very weak. It definitely makes up for it on the back end though.

Sage/sorcerer has a lot more going for it at early levels when it comes to ease of use IMO, though the story does indeed leave a lot to be desired until Chapter Three. Scoundrel story is awesome. (BTW, same holds true on Empire side. Sorcerer story is blah, Operative story is the best in the game probably, better than Scoundrel IMO.)

Oooh, I love DOTs and HOTs. It'll make me feel right at home from my days of being a druid and shammy. Scoundrel it is. I'll make the character tomorrow night and contact the gaf guild then. Thanks guys

For max level, right now it is Scoundrel/Operative > Sage/Sorcerer >> Commando/Mercenary. Scoundrel and Sages can hang out in more or less the same stratosphere, but in completely different ways. Commando is a beast, as Yooni (Milly79) said, but they take a lot more work to play well. If you are great at Commando, you'd be unbelievable at the other two, for instance.

Scoundrels/operatives are all about keeping the hots rolling, and your free heal below 30% is amazing. Quick and/or instant casts everywhere, not unlike some kind of version druid as you said. They also have great survivability tools.

Sages/sorcerers are front loaded healers and can put out some great numbers. They are also my favorite class to play. You get force speed, a knockback, some stuns and a bubble (like disc priests) for survivability. All your heals have cast times for the most part, but not exceedingly long ones.

Definitely join up with GAF though. Good folks who can help you out with the questions you'll probably have.

Tarazet

For max level, right now it is Scoundrel/Operative > Sage/Sorcerer >> Commando/Mercenary. Scoundrel and Sages can hang out in more or less the same stratosphere, but in completely different ways. Commando is a beast, as Yooni (Milly79) said, but they take a lot more work to play well. If you are great at Commando, you'd be unbelievable at the other two, for instance.

Scoundrels/operatives are all about keeping the hots rolling, and your free heal below 30% is amazing. Quick and/or instant casts everywhere, not unlike some kind of version druid as you said. They also have great survivability tools.

Sages/sorcerers are front loaded healers and can put out some great numbers. They are also my favorite class to play. You get force speed, a knockback, some stuns and a bubble (like disc priests) for survivability. All your heals have cast times for the most part, but not exceedingly long ones.

Definitely join up with GAF though. Good folks who can help you out with the questions you'll probably have.

Scoundrels/Operatives are also an energy based class, not a mana based one (Sage/Sorc). You can literally heal forever, as long as you stay within the highest regen bracket. Commandos/Mercs can too, but the output is lower and they rely a lot on annoying autoshot heals.

ShaneB

The Smuggler story has felt kinda meh in my opinion, but that could be in part just to it's all put together in MMO trappings. I never really felt like I could just concentrate on story stuff because I had all these other quests to do, and everything felt disjointed, and I'd often forget why I was doing such and such a task. That being said however, I still haven't finished it, but am nearing the end I assume, and it least is a different take on the Star Wars universe, dealing with the underworld aspect of it instead of just pure jedi/sith stuff.

Maybe I'm just moody because now with my first character at 50, a gunslinger, it doesn't feel like it's the right class for me. OF course, maybe I'm being hasty and still have a lot to learn about the class, and I'm probably just really bored of sharpshooter spec and feeling like a turret, whereas my WoW days as a Warrior had me definitely feeling like a mobile beast. So I'll probably stick with Saboteur since I feel like I'll spend plenty of time in pvp anyway.

I definitely love the game, but was never one for lots of alts, but at least this games gives me a unique reason to play through the various classes. Consular next probably since playing a healer would be a big change from pure dps.

Draxal

The Smuggler story has felt kinda meh in my opinion, but that could be in part just to it's all put together in MMO trappings. I never really felt like I could just concentrate on story stuff because I had all these other quests to do, and everything felt disjointed, and I'd often forget why I was doing such and such a task. That being said however, I still haven't finished it, but am nearing the end I assume, and it least is a different take on the Star Wars universe, dealing with the underworld aspect of it instead of just pure jedi/sith stuff.

Maybe I'm just moody because now with my first character at 50, a gunslinger, it doesn't feel like it's the right class for me. OF course, maybe I'm being hasty and still have a lot to learn about the class, and I'm probably just really bored of sharpshooter spec and feeling like a turret, whereas my WoW days as a Warrior had me definitely feeling like a mobile beast. So I'll probably stick with Saboteur since I feel like I'll spend plenty of time in pvp anyway.

I definitely love the game, but was never one for lots of alts, but at least this games gives me a unique reason to play through the various classes. Consular next probably since playing a healer would be a big change from pure dps.

Yeah, the side quests kinda didn't work for the Smuggler as it kinda made no sense for him to do that, and charge classes are just more fun in general (although creative use of cover system kinda works like it). You might struggle alot with the consular, they do have the force speed which does make grinding etc faster, but the story is just really really dry especialy doing the same side quests again.

Tarazet

My main was a Sniper, and I always liked Marksman the best. It's not quite as mobile as Engi/Saboteur, and none of the trees are as mobile as WoW's Hunter, but I feel that it's more mobile than Lethality/DF. The reason is that you get a lot of reduced cast time or instant attacks as an MM. In Leth/DF, you still use Aimed Shot and XS Flyby more or less on cooldown, but the cast time is longer, so you have to just sit there and cast. In MM, you can cast Orbital in 2 seconds, use an instant auto-crit Snipe, use Followthrough (while moving if needed), then a 1.5s Ambush with the guaranteed proc. That's a shitload of damage in not a lot of time.

If you are going to play a healer, the Scoundrel/Operative is very enjoyable at higher levels. You can heal yourself endlessly while kiting melee like a Resto Druid.

Milly79

I... Do not agree. I guess I can say have fun face tanking, because you're not moving in MM and you're not as sturdy as Engi to sit there and get beat on. At least with Leth you can kite for quite a bit and still have damage ticking. It may not be a lot, but it's more than no damage.

Heysoos

Can't survive for shit on my Sage. :lol. As soon as someone sees me, they make a beeline straight for me so they can get off their high crit numbers to stroke their epeens.

Tarazet

I... Do not agree. I guess I can say have fun face tanking, because you're not moving in MM and you're not as sturdy as Engi to sit there and get beat on. At least with Leth you can kite for quite a bit and still have damage ticking. It may not be a lot, but it's more than no damage.

You don't facetank as an MM. You knock back/down, root, stun. Then, if they're still interested in killing you, you die. But they'll avoid you next time because you were such a pest to kill.

You don't facetank as an MM. You knock back/down, root, stun. Then, if they're still interested in killing you, you die. But they'll avoid you next time because you were such a pest to kill.
All the specs play like this, except with engy you'll probably not die if they're still after you. ;)

Seriously though. I've pretty much swapped back and forth from MM and Engy, with some dabbling in Leth/LethHybrid and I always come back to Engy. More utility, the burst is fine, more durability, more energy management. I generally do about the same damage/burst between MM and Engy. Engy is just busier, but is overall a better spec in a premade, or with a competent team.

You could argue that once you've used your probes and ambush, you're twiddling your thumbs for burst, and this is true, but it's not that bad.

Anyway, play the spec you like playing. Unless it's full Lethality.

Heysoos

What is with the sudden influx of lag and CTDs since last patch. I hadn't crashed to desktop IN A LONG TIME. Now, I've had 3 in a span of an ~hour, all 3 of which cost me sure Warzone win count. -_-

Edit:

For healing sages, should I still go for War Hero power relics?

Also, do Vanguards make good PVP tanks? I was thinking of mixing it up and making my Vanguard a tank for a couple of matches, to mix it up. However, I only have DPS gear and I don't feel like regrinding just for tank gear. :p

Tarazet

All the specs play like this, except with engy you'll probably not die if they're still after you. ;)

Seriously though. I've pretty much swapped back and forth from MM and Engy, with some dabbling in Leth/LethHybrid and I always come back to Engy. More utility, the burst is fine, more durability, more energy management. I generally do about the same damage/burst between MM and Engy. Engy is just busier, but is overall a better spec in a premade, or with a competent team.

You could argue that once you've used your probes and ambush, you're twiddling your thumbs for burst, and this is true, but it's not that bad.

Anyway, play the spec you like playing. Unless it's full Lethality.

Engineering has amazing burst, probably better than any other class. That makes it a good PvP spec if you don't have fantastic gear and just want to get as much damage in before you fall over. The probes plus the extra damage on Series of Shots and Orbital Strike make it hurt a lot. It's not as good in sustained firefights, though.

Also, do Vanguards make good PVP tanks? I was thinking of mixing it up and making my Vanguard a tank for a couple of matches, to mix it up. However, I only have DPS gear and I don't feel like regrinding just for tank gear. :p

Unless you're a Shadow, PvP tanks are only good as Huttball runners.

Heysoos

Engineering has amazing burst, probably better than any other class. That makes it a good PvP spec if you don't have fantastic gear and just want to get as much damage in before you fall over. The probes plus the extra damage on Series of Shots and Orbital Strike make it hurt a lot. It's not as good in sustained firefights, though.

Unless you're a Shadow, PvP tanks are only good as Huttball runners.

Figured there was a reason I never saw Vanguard tanks. lol

Alur

For healing sages, should I still go for War Hero power relics?

As far as I know PVP power relics are still the best. I haven't been around since two days before Christmas though. New math may have changed that, I suppose, but I doubt it.

Milly79

Never got mobbed by multiple people I take it. Cause you're not going anywhere if you wanna do damage AKA face tanking.

I'm just going against the fact you said MM > Leth for mobility. That's completely wrong. Leth has shorter DF CDs. Let's see MM has Snipe, Ambush, SoS, EP -- basically only FT, TD out of cover on the run. Leth has SoS, EP, Cull, Ambush (very long cast time, only used on certain targets). You can throw CG, CD on the run anytime, while humping pillars and kiting. I spend a lot less time in cover in Leth/DF > MM/SS

I personally switch all the time. On my Slinger I generally run SS as I like the animations better, and on my Sniper I run Leth for the same reasons. Would like to get into Engi/Sabo sometimes to dabble with it.

Also, try out 0/10/31 Leth. The AoE damage is amazing.

Darth -- What is a standard rotation/skill used in a WZ for engi? I can't see what the filler would be.

JMizzlin

So I've been downloading the patches to this game on-and-off for the past month. It's just taking so long at 150kbps speeds and I've had various complications when trying to let it download overnight.

Is it possible to download it from anywhere else? I just want to play.

Mordeccai

So I've gotten my smuggler to level eight, combat is alright. Really hoping the game opens up when I get my star ship, running around Ord Mantell has been kind of nonengaging.

Darth -- What is a standard rotation/skill used in a WZ for engi? I can't see what the filler would be.
I usually do, Interrogation Probe -> Plasma Probe -> Explosive Probe -> Series of Shots -> Ambush/Snipe/Grenade -> Take Down -> Rifle Shots/Grenade -> Repeat.

Sometimes you can blow through it all fast enough that on your second round, explosive probe just isn't ready, so you skip that. Also plasma probe isn't always there to use if you have to create area denial or abuse the snare.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
So I've gotten my smuggler to level eight, combat is alright. Really hoping the game opens up when I get my star ship, running around Ord Mantell has been kind of nonengaging.

It depends on what you mean by opens up. The starter planets are pretty small, and Ord Mantell is pretty drab. Your next planet
Coruscant
is heavily corridored but the planets start to get huge around level 25ish. You will still pretty much do them in order though, so it doesn't open up in that sense, although many later planets have bonus series quests that you can come back to a few levels after leaving the planet.

Having said that there is a lot to do besides planet quests. Do flashpoints as you go, they start at level 10 and the group finder makes this easy now. Also do some PVP and even space missions can be fun. All of that helps to break up the feeling of being on the same planet for a while.

Second, don't feel like you have to do every quest. There are a few types of quests on each planet you'll be doing:

- Your class story, this needs to be done to progress your story and you'll always do these.
- Planet quest arcs. The early planets don't have these but later each planet will have a main story to follow that will take you through each area of the planet. Most of these are worth doing.
- Regular side quests.
- Heroic quests, recommended for either 2 or 4 people. You'll see people spamming for groups for these. Sometimes you can get some nice rewards for them included moddable orange gear.

My first character I did every quest and I was 5 levels past what I was fighting by the 3rd planet. Now I do all the quests on a planet on one character, then on another I'll just do my story and maybe planet quest only on the next character.

Then, on top of that each planet will have 5 datacrons hidden around the planet which boost stats or give you a coloured shard you can combine with other coloured shards to make relics. Early on you'll find these just by exploring but getting to them gets more and more difficult with jumping puzzles, special items required to open access to them or requiring 2 or more people to access.

Then you have crafting and gathering after level 10, talking to companions and gaining their affection etc.

So just do a little bit of everything and it'll help break up the feeling of being stuck on a planet for the next 5 levels.

As for scoundrel, they can feel a little limited until you get to about level 30. The best part of playing a Smuggler, IMO, is the conversation dialogues. There are some truly funny moments throughout their story.

Top Bottom