• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
The best update from the patch was not posted, I see:

Clearly the best part of the update.

Also the inventory sorting. I wasn't expecting that in a small patch like this.

There seems to be a bug in the character activation. Everytime you create another character on a random server, it resets all activation choices account wide. This would probably only effect previous subs with large numbers of characters returning as preferred. Though it did allow me to recover mats and money on the 2 characters I don't plan to unlock right away.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
there's no way to earn cartel credits huh? Sucks,

The fact that you can't earn/grind Cartel coins through in-game activities in a way similar to lots of other F2P games is at least partially mitigated by the fact that the vast majority of CC stuff can be bought and sold on the GTN. The harshness of the credit cap limits the actual potential of the "grind cerdits as cartel coins" method for stuff like artifact unlocks, but a decent amount of stuff is usually available for credits. Even as a sub, I buy CC stuff like inventory/cargo hold slots for credits off the GTN because it ends up actually being cheaper than buying through the UI itself.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
So TERA going F2P now too. Is that every decent sized MMO that's out minus WoW in F2P mode now?

Rift is still proudly clinging to it's "exception that proves the rule" status.

EVE is very successful still. Lineage series also somehow is popular and doing well, but I will never understand how that game succeeds.

Rift is still proudly clinging to it's "exception that proves the rule" status.

Friend who was a designer on that game disagrees and blames his loss of a job at Trion due to the companies stubborness to adapt f2p. Hes said for a while that he was hoping they would go that route, as it was obviously not going up. Believe the heads in charge thought that the expansion was going to turn things around. Course soon after, Trion let go a bunch of the Rift staff. Won't be surprised to see Trion jump on the f2p wagon soon. Course not sure how bright Trion is with them releasing a full price $50 expansion to a game with a dried up population in the face of so much competition and close to GW2's release? And they keep taking on new projects with RIFT being the only thing they have running? We can't get reliable numbers from Trion either as they are not public.

TheMink

Whats the best wiki?

Ive been looking at some stuff and there are just lists and lists of equipment and im curious how in supposed to wade through that haha

Are there some main equipment pieces i should look out for?

Jedi knight lvl 8

Alur

Whats the best wiki?

Ive been looking at some stuff and there are just lists and lists of equipment and im curious how in supposed to wade through that haha

Are there some main equipment pieces i should look out for?

Jedi knight lvl 8

There's nothing really like thottbot/wowhead/MMO-Champ for SWTOR. There is torhead.com, but it's a shell of what wowhead is because there is a lot of data that is redundant and or non-existent in game. It is still a very useful tool though.

I don't know what else you mean though as far as a wiki goes. What is it you are wanting to know about the game? It's probably easier to just ask the grizzled vets here, we'll help ya out.

TheMink

There's nothing really like thottbot/wowhead/MMO-Champ for SWTOR. There is torhead.com, but it's a shell of what wowhead is because there is a lot of data that is redundant and or non-existent in game. It is still a very useful tool though.

I don't know what else you mean though as far as a wiki goes. What is it you are wanting to know about the game? It's probably easier to just ask the grizzled vets here, we'll help ya out.

I just get really confused about equipment in mmos because there is so much, is it very simple progression? i.e each weapon and armour is just better than the last, or is it more complicated than that?

Also are armors with augments eventually better than those without them but have better base stats?
Not that i have anything to augment with :p

Thanks for you help :)

EDIT: also is there something i should be saving my money for? Or should just spend it on weapons and armour as they come.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I just get really confused about equipment in mmos because there is so much, is it very simple progression? i.e each weapon and armour is just better than the last, or is it more complicated than that?

Also are armors with augments eventually better than those without them but have better base stats?

EDIT: also is there something i should be saving my money for? Or should just spend it on weapons and armour as they come.

The most important thing you need to know is what stats are required for your character. Check your character screen and see which stat is the highest, that is your main stat and you'll only be wanting to wear gear with that stat. Plus endurance which relates to your health. So, for example, smugglers/operatives are looking for gear with endurance and cunning. Anything else is useless for you. For troopers/bounty hunters it's aim, consulars/inquisitors it's willpower and knights/warriors it's strength. There are secondary stats that are important but for leveling if just stick with upgrades to your main stats you'll be fine.

I wouldn't worry about augmenting until end game.

You should also be using the planetary commendations for getting gear, I never buy stuff while leveling. A better idea is to try to get orange gear, which is gear you can customize the mods inside them, and use your planet comms to get mods. This way you can keep wearing the same look all the way to 50 and beyond.

Alur

First off, are you on Jedi Covenant? If not, and you want to play with GAF (Republic side) you should reroll there and join the GAF guild. It's very active with GAF folks and non GAF and will give you folks to talk to and learn from.

As for your first question, for the most part it's simple progression. You'll see the stat difference when you hover over a new item before you equip it. Not everything you find will be better than the last, you'll just have to check. As a jedi knight (sentinel or guardian) you're gonna want STR items. Heavy armor if you're a guardian, medium if you're a sentinel.

When you say armors with augments, are you asking about the orange pieces of gear that have mod slots? As you level there will be times when green/blue items are better than purple/orange moddable items...however, you can upgrade the mods in those items and keep the look you desire for your character. Orange gear is one of the best things about SWTOR IMO, being able to maintain a look you want.

Saving money: keep your armor updated as much as you can every 2 or 3 levels, and your companion as well from bargain mods on the GTN and planetary commendations. That said, at level 20/30/40 you can purchase riding skills and mounts and you will want to do that. The good news is someone can give you a mount that automatically adjusts to your riding level for free so you only gotta worry about buying riding skill.

Armor and weapons have ratings on them usually before he stat block, that rating usually means a piece is better than a lower number. Now of course you have to look for the gear that is goign to best suit your build. Each class has a primary attribute that you will want to focus on with secondary stats chosen depending on your build.

Augments are just items that you can attach to gear that has a slot and it just adds those stats to the stats of the item. You will always have to compare and see what is best for you but whenever you mouse over an item it will compare it to the comparable item you are wearing, and it will show you in green which stats would go up and which stats would go down in red for if you switch to that item you are looking at.

How you spend your money is up to you, the most expensive needs for money are for when you hit end game at 50, before then you are pretty liberal with how you can spend your money. If you do crafting you will possibly be spending a good chunk on that too, but if you got the right crew skills, you can avoid alot of the extra costs.

TheMink

Thanks all!

How might i obtain orange equipment?
And im guess there are a bunch of different looks to choose from?

EDIT: im not on the gaf server unfortuantely, but im playing with a friend so i shouldnt change, ill make a sub character on the gaf server though

Alur

Thanks all!

EDIT: im not on the gaf server unfortuantely, but im playing with a friend so i shouldnt change, ill make a sub character on the gaf server though

You'll get it from quests, flashpoints (dungeons), off the GTN, etc. It comes from everywhere. Just like any other armor, the pieces look different. The difference with the orange armor is you can just keep upgrading it once you find something you like the look of, unlike the green or blue pieces.

TheMink

You'll get it from quests, flashpoints (dungeons), off the GTN, etc. It comes from everywhere. Just like any other armor, the pieces look different. The difference with the orange armor is you can just keep upgrading it once you find something you like the look of, unlike the green or blue pieces.

Sounds awesome! Thanks! I need to get myself a bad ass hood :)

EDIT:
How does the karma system work? Can i actually become a sith if i do enough sithly deeds?
Or can i always fight for the republic even if im sorta sith :p

I ask because i want to build relationships with the womenfolk but i generally make the jedi desicion on everything else :p

Thanks all!

You get orange gear in pretty much every way you get normal gear. Loot and quest rewards. Also heroic quests usually give out a piece of orange gear as a reward.

Almost all pieces of gear in the game have an orange version available, just orange gear might have different color options than a green or such.

Tideas

Banned
The fact that you can't earn/grind Cartel coins through in-game activities in a way similar to lots of other F2P games is at least partially mitigated by the fact that the vast majority of CC stuff can be bought and sold on the GTN. The harshness of the credit cap limits the actual potential of the "grind cerdits as cartel coins" method for stuff like artifact unlocks, but a decent amount of stuff is usually available for credits. Even as a sub, I buy CC stuff like inventory/cargo hold slots for credits off the GTN because it ends up actually being cheaper than buying through the UI itself.

that depends on how expensive these items are being sold for credit for no? are they higher than the credit cap?

Alur

Sounds awesome! Thanks! I need to get myself a bad ass hood :)

EDIT:
How does the karma system work? Can i actually become a sith if i do enough sithly deeds?
Or can i always fight for the republic even if im sorta sith :p

I ask because i want to build relationships with the womenfolk but i generally make the jedi desicion on everything else :p

The light/dark thing only has an affect on your relics leveling up and your appearance to some degree. You can be as bad as you want, but you'll still be a jedi, just a mean one.

that depends on how expensive these items are being sold for credit for no? are they higher than the credit cap?

Some are. Artiface quality item unlocks usually go for about 1 mil creds on the GTN I think, but they are also the most expensive item to buy with cash from the cartel shop.

TheMink

The light/dark thing only has an affect on your relics leveling up and your appearance to some degree. You can be as bad as you want, but you'll still be a jedi, just a mean one.

Ah i see, makes sense.

Good god, is the forge gaurdian supposed to be messing me up hahaha, i thought my lightsaber would have made this alot easier lol

Ah i see, makes sense.

Good god, is the forge gaurdian supposed to be messing me up hahaha, i thought my lightsaber would have made this alot easier lol
For that fight I had T7 tank him while I dished out the damage. If T7 dies be sure to turn on your damage reduction ability (I forgot what it's called even though I was leveling a JK last night.) That should be enough to take him down.

TheMink

For that fight I had T7 tank him while I dished out the damage. If T7 dies be sure to turn on your damage reduction ability (I forgot what it's called even though I was leveling a JK last night.) That should be enough to take him down.

Beat it! thanks for the tips XD

Btw whats legacy?

I type in a name of what?

Beat it! thanks for the tips XD

Btw whats legacy?

I type in a name of what?
Basically Legacy is like a family tree of sorts. Your Legacy will tie all of your characters on that server together. You can display that Legacy Name as a surname or as a title. As you level up your legacy you can purchase xp boosts, Rocket Boots, a portable mailbox, a special GTN inside of your ship and more. All of your characters will contribute in getting XP for your Legacy so you don't feel tied down to one specific character.

Here's the SWTOR page about the Legacy system: http://www.swtor.com/info/legacy

TheMink

Basically Legacy is like a family tree of sorts. Your Legacy will tie all of your characters on that server together. You can display that Legacy Name as a surname or as a title. As you level up your legacy you can purchase xp boosts, Rocket Boots, a portable mailbox, a special GTN inside of your ship and more. All of your characters will contribute in getting XP for your Legacy so you don't feel tied down to one specific character.

Here's the SWTOR page about the Legacy system: http://www.swtor.com/info/legacy

Thanks boss!

Alur

Anyone else have this problem where the game crashes upon completion of The Black Talon or The Esseles flashpoints?

Yep, that's been a bug for a while. Not real way around it that I know of other than not completing the quest. You just gotta take it on the chin and log back in quick and get back to get your rewards.

Alur

Who is the girl that is in every avatar you ever have Yooni? I've been wondering this for some time and always forget to ask. She looks mildly surprised in every picture.

ShaneB

Have no idea how to find GAF members on Jedi Covenant to get an invite.

You can do a '/who GAF' and find members online and message one.

What is your character name? it's just as easy to say it here and someone will set you up :p

I'm finally done Hoth. I wanted to love it, but man, it sucked so much joy of the game. Glad I'm done with it.

Azih

You can do a '/who GAF' and find members online and message one.

What is your character name? it's just as easy to say it here and someone will set you up :p

I'm finally done Hoth. I wanted to love it, but man, it sucked so much joy of the game. Glad I'm done with it.

If Nayesta on Jedi Covenant could get an invite that would be great :)

kmz

Neo Member

#scrublife

Stalemates at mid in Civil War are always fun:

1310001.jpg

(I'm not Ino.)

daoster

You know, I'm surprised that I haven't been overly bored of this game the second time around. Maybe because I've been alting a lot on my Bounty Hunter, and it's my first time really seeing the Empire side of things
(Taris was kinda a depressing planet, thinking that all the things I did on the Republic side has basically been destroyed).

But yeah...I am liking the Bounty Hunter story, so far...and it's kinda funny that the two classes I've gotten farthest with (finished Smuggler and just landed on Hoth for BH), their stories seem kinda far removed from the actual war...

Really wished that the BH and Smuggler would have been designed as a neutral class, allowing you to pick sides in the war, though of course, that'd create a host of class balance problems for both sides, but eh...

Alur

That's a lot of heals from Ino, I saw that on the official forums. I've never once seen this dude/girl in game though, nor heard of them and all I ever did was PVP. Maybe it's someones alt I guess?

EDIT: Also, Yooni I wouldn't say the ranked one counts any more or less than the one above. Just like the big healing one I posted a while back wasn't worth jack. It's all about actual HPS and DPS in the end, and mostly just looks pretty.

Milly79

I don think it does either, but I think most people we write it off as being a stalemate -- which is fine with me. To me it's amazing as I did it in single target spec with very little aoe. Had I been dirty fighting it would have been much higher damage, but people wouldn't have been bursted down so Hobi had to work too with changing guard. He also admitted he never threw one taunt on me, so I Iiterally got to free cast the entire match on healers.

I'm not discrediting Ino's game at all, but I do know people try and drag games out like that in regs to pad numbers.

kmz

Neo Member
Trust me, we weren't trying to drag it out, just couldn't kill them fast enough because of their damn three Operative healers cross healing. (I'm F'Shep there.)

I don't know how Ino managed to survive though, honestly, since he was our only healer. I think a lot of the Imps DPSers must have been inexperienced (other than Powertaco, he's in Uncensored). I'm surprised you've never seen him though... he PVPs quite a bit, and I know he's done the PUG RWZ thing at least a few times recently.

BTW, that was indeed a damn impressive RWZ match you linked... 5mil+ total healing, holy shit. Wish I could have joined in last night but had other in-game obligations. Have to admit, I've had my run-ins with the LD-50 guys but this pug RWZ thing has been pretty cool.

TheMink

So i programmed some of my buttons on my mouse to be keystrokes for attacks (7,8,9)

It was working absolutely perfect yesterday, i turn on the game today and its recognizing it at all.
Whats the deal?

Anybody else have this issue?

EDIT:

Its a logitech marathon mouse if that helps
Using the program that it comes with to assign keystrokes

Heysoos

So i programmed some of my buttons on my mouse to be keystrokes for attacks (7,8,9)

It was working absolutely perfect yesterday, i turn on the game today and its recognizing it at all.
Whats the deal?

Anybody else have this issue?

EDIT:

Its a logitech marathon mouse if that helps
Using the program that it comes with to assign keystrokes

Is your mouse on the right settings? As in, is it using 7 8 9 on numpad or on numbers above keyboard.

My Logitech mouse software (Logitech Gaming Software) resets it's settings when I reboot.

Top Bottom