• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game | The Official Thread

Thanks to this thread (and my love for tabletop gaming and Star Wars) I picked up 2 core sets the other day, 1 Force Awakens and 1 Original Trilogy. I just went to my friends house to learn the game. I know it's a 1 on 1 game but we had 2 other people there dying to play so we just each controlled certain ships the whole game.

Oh my god, this game is so fun. I already can't wait to get new ships and try out the game with every advanced rule (we sort of disregarded a few things since it was our first time.) There were so many close calls and lucky dice rolls, got super excited at times.

Now I just need money for all the rest. What have you all done to me?

From what I hear, the Imperial Aces and Rebel Aces packs are good buys, maybe a Y-wing and a TIE Advanced? It will be a little while before I can afford these but it's good to know a game plan and look out for deals.

Slermy

Welcome to the club!

You can definitely play with multiple people. Keep the point totals the same on both sides, and it should work out just fine. Actually played a 2 vs. 3 game tonight and it was still quite fun.

Both Aces packs are tremendous buys. Really though, just buy what you think looks great. My personal first purchase after the core set was my favorite ship, the TIE Defender, along with a Z-95. This worked out pretty well as I was able to field a Defender & 1 TIE for the same points as an opponent's X-WIng & Z-96.

Tensketch

From what I hear, the Imperial Aces and Rebel Aces packs are good buys, maybe a Y-wing and a TIE Advanced? It will be a little while before I can afford these but it's good to know a game plan and look out for deals.

Falcon and Slave 1 packs are amazing early buys as there's definitely something great about having a 2v2 where 1 player each team has control of such an iconic ship.

Walshicus

Falcon and Slave 1 packs are amazing early buys as there's definitely something great about having a 2v2 where 1 player each team has control of such an iconic ship.
I just really really hate the Slave 1 design. Too tall for my liking. I went with the Decimator as my first Imperial large ship.

Thanks for the suggestions! I hear they are making some of the new ships for TFA? Any word on the release date? I like some of the new designs but I only see the x-wing and TIE fighter for pre-order, which look like the same ones that came with the core set.

Nete

There will be new TFA ships for sure in the future, don't worry. In the next Wave we will get the T-70 X-wing and the TIE Fighter from the new core (although with different pilots and cards), but there is no doubt there will be new TFA ships on the next Waves.

These guys are usually working 2-3 Waves by advance. Next will probably hit around May or so.

Well my friend enjoyed the game even more than I thought and he already started looking into buying some miniatures. Now I can just focus on 1 faction which will be great for my wallet. Looking to build a gameboard this weekend out of some plywood since my dining room table isn't quite big enough. I ordered one of the FFG game mats to use. Super excited.

Tensketch

Well my friend enjoyed the game even more than I thought and he already started looking into buying some miniatures. Now I can just focus on 1 faction which will be great for my wallet. Looking to build a gameboard this weekend out of some plywood since my dining room table isn't quite big enough. I ordered one of the FFG game mats to use. Super excited.

That happened to me, I had a few games with my friend and a week later he turned up with a bunch of stuff I'd never seen before it was great.

However, neither of us collect a single faction, we just get em all.

I wish so badly that there was an online "companion game" of some sort that allowed online matchmaking with this game. I know there's Vassal, but it would be cool if FFG had some kind of Skylanders-esq plan in place where, on top of being able to play the game with the physical pieces, you could optionally scan your mini's into your game profile in order to use them in a fully supported online version of the game.

It just sucks that when I am in the mood to play this I have to find a friend to physically come over/go over there and bring all my stuff/bring all my stuff to a game store. I can't scratch the itch enough! :(

5taquitos

I wish so badly that there was an online "companion game" of some sort that allowed online matchmaking with this game. I know there's Vassal, but it would be cool if FFG had some kind of Skylanders-esq plan in place where, on top of being able to play the game with the physical pieces, you could optionally scan your mini's into your game profile in order to use them in a fully supported online version of the game.

It just sucks that when I am in the mood to play this I have to find a friend to physically come over/go over there and bring all my stuff/bring all my stuff to a game store. I can't scratch the itch enough! :(

This would be amazing, and would probably get me fired.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
New preview of the Ghost from Wave 8!

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/12/4/lothal-rebels-part-one/

FFG said:
This behemoth enters the game with four attack, zero agility, six shields, and a whopping ten hull. Then, its brute force can be further enhanced by a wide array of possible upgrades, including a system upgrade, turret, two torpedoes, and two crew slots. Finally, you can even equip your VCX-100 with the Ghost Title upgrade to field it in your games as though it were Hera Syndulla's signature vessel.

Named for her ability to evade Imperial sensors, the Ghost featured static jammers and baffled dampeners that meant it detected on many sensors as mere cosmic radiation. On multiple occassions, these modifications allowed Hera Syndulla and her crew to avoid getting caught in fights that they couldn't win; however, the Ghost and her crew saw their fair share of battle, as well. Accordingly, it was equipped with a nose turret gunner station underneath the cockpit and a 360-degree Dorsal Turret that was mounted midship.

The second ship in the Ghost Expansion Pack is the attack shuttle, a worthy addition to any Rebel squadron. The attack shuttle offers three attack, two agility, two shields, and two hull, as well as the focus, evade, and barrel roll actions. Notably, it is also the first Rebel ship for X-Wing Standard Play that comes without the acquire target lock action and the first ship in X-Wing for any faction to arrive without a non-unique pilot.

hera-ghost.png
ezra-shuttle.png

ghost.png
phantom.png

kannan-jarrus-crew.png
zeb-orrelios-crew.png

reinforced-deflectors.png
dorsal-turret.png

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Kamikaze B-Wings!

Kanan works on the ship he's aboard, BTW. So you can combo him with Push the Limit on a YT-1300 to take green or white maneuvers and keep rolling with two actions per turn.

yeah, Kanan is huge on a PTL YT-1300.

Zeb is going to be better on Low pilot skill big base ships. Such a killer blocker. Blocks for your other ships, and if he keeps in firing arc, he throws a 4 or 5 dice shot at an un-modified ship. Good god.

Slermy

I find the shuttle to be really fascinating. Able to attack twice while docked? No Targeting Computer? I definitely wasn't expecting that.

Sigh... I need to stop buying ships.

They're adding Star Wars Rebels content? That's cool.

So my local game store plays this Heroes of the Aturi Cluster once a week, I looked at it briefly but the rulebook is huge. Is this fun to play with 2 people and do you need many ships for it? Keep in mind I only own 2 core sets so I'm unsure what else I need to get the most out of it.

Tensketch

Interesting night for me last night.

So do you guys remember the guy I told you about, the one I was convinced was cheating by changing his moves mid-turn? Well he turned up to our regular Friday night X-Wing event. I got to play him. I'm wise to his games, he picks up mid-turn, specifically when you are moving your ships so your focus is on your ships, not him. I've never had any proof that he cheats though, it's always the same story from people I've spoken to 'I think he cheated' 'The way he held his dial was a bit strange' 'I swore he had a different dice result' etc.

3 turns in, while I am moving my 6 tie swarm, he 'checks' his Poe Dameron dial, without turning my head, I watch as he starts to change his move. Finally caught him. I call him out and I can see him trying to figure out how to get out of it. He ends up telling me that he set the wrong move at the start and that he should've told me and that he was sorry and to make it up to me, he'll just go with the move he was going to do. I continued to play (and lost, but I couldnt focus after that).

I stayed friendly, after all, it's a game. But I made sure he knew that I've been wise to his ways in the past and I've spoke to numerous other people who have said the same thing. But after that, I don't know what to do next. I feel like if I were to demand a judge or witness be present any time I play him in an official capacity, I'd be pushing things too far. But he's won tournaments, he's been cheating and winning tournaments and has been getting away with it.

Blank!

yeah, Kanan is huge on a PTL YT-1300.

Zeb is going to be better on Low pilot skill big base ships. Such a killer blocker. Blocks for your other ships, and if he keeps in firing arc, he throws a 4 or 5 dice shot at an un-modified ship. Good god.

The only issue I see is it works for both you and your opponent. Seems like an easy way to backfire you.

Ghost + Phantom shooting twice is kind of overrated I feel? It's 60 points total just for the combo and not counting turret price. It's a nice bonus (and basically "free" if you were going to run Ghost anyway...) but I feel like most people will probably deploy pretty quickly.

IIRC, any time you want to check your dials outside of the planning phase, you have to notify the opponent first. Just stop what you're doing and stare at him. But honestly, if enough people know this is going on I don't know why you wouldn't tell a judge/event holder and have them deal with it. It sounds pretty damn blatant.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
The only issue I see is it works for both you and your opponent. Seems like an easy way to backfire you.

No you want the shot. You have five unmodified dice, which will wreck any ace that is Unmodified defense rolls. Plus you have the turret shot too. So you could throw 8 dice at a blocked Soontir.

It's really devastating if you land in front of it. The Ghost is a hardcore aggro ship

Toxi

Banned
Zeb is a giant game changer
He seems like hilarious fun.

Also notable is that you can toss Fire Control System on the Ghost. Combined with the Phantom, that means even if you get blocked you still get modified dice on the second roll. Or you could toss Enhanced Scopes on so you will always be blocking and never blocked.

The Ghost really looks like a fun ship in general.

Tensketch

IIRC, any time you want to check your dials outside of the planning phase, you have to notify the opponent first. Just stop what you're doing and stare at him. But honestly, if enough people know this is going on I don't know why you wouldn't tell a judge/event holder and have them deal with it. It sounds pretty damn blatant.

Ive spoken to numerous people who have all said the same thing whilst playing him, during the turn, while you move your ships, he picks up his dial to 'remember' what move he is doing. They've all said that the way he holds his dial, it looks like he's changing the move. I caught him doing exactly that a few nights ago and he tried to play it down.

Interesting night for me last night.

So do you guys remember the guy I told you about, the one I was convinced was cheating by changing his moves mid-turn? Well he turned up to our regular Friday night X-Wing event. I got to play him. I'm wise to his games, he picks up mid-turn, specifically when you are moving your ships so your focus is on your ships, not him. I've never had any proof that he cheats though, it's always the same story from people I've spoken to 'I think he cheated' 'The way he held his dial was a bit strange' 'I swore he had a different dice result' etc.

3 turns in, while I am moving my 6 tie swarm, he 'checks' his Poe Dameron dial, without turning my head, I watch as he starts to change his move. Finally caught him. I call him out and I can see him trying to figure out how to get out of it. He ends up telling me that he set the wrong move at the start and that he should've told me and that he was sorry and to make it up to me, he'll just go with the move he was going to do. I continued to play (and lost, but I couldnt focus after that).

I stayed friendly, after all, it's a game. But I made sure he knew that I've been wise to his ways in the past and I've spoke to numerous other people who have said the same thing. But after that, I don't know what to do next. I feel like if I were to demand a judge or witness be present any time I play him in an official capacity, I'd be pushing things too far. But he's won tournaments, he's been cheating and winning tournaments and has been getting away with it.

That's some shit.

Slermy

... I don't know what to do next. I feel like if I were to demand a judge or witness be present any time I play him in an official capacity, I'd be pushing things too far. But he's won tournaments, he's been cheating and winning tournaments and has been getting away with it.

I think you'd be in the right, but if you really want to play it safe, bring a friend along as a "casual observer" the next time you think you're going to be playing him. Have your friend keep an eye out on his actions if he is caught again, I think you'd be absolutely fine requesting "official" witnesses from that point onward.

Tom_Cody

The individual expansion packs for the T-70 X-Wing and the TIE/FO Fighter are shipping now! Should be in stores by Dec. 17. (dat timing)

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/upcoming/
Sweet.

I try to be disciplined and only buy ships once I have a game immediately in front of me and I know I am going to use it, but I will definitely be buying some over each ship over the next few months. I have enjoyed using each ship from the Force Awakens starter set.

I played a demo game of X-Wing at my local shop. I really liked it, so I bought the new core set, the Falcon, and the Slave I.

They also gave me some sort of promo Poe card.

I'm putting together a fairly large order on Amazon. Any suggestions on what I might be missing?

I want to play:
"Fat Han"
Some sort of Baron Soontir Fel build
Darth Vader's Tie Advanced
Wedge Antilles
Tie Swarm
Tie Interceptor list of some sort
Tycho in A-Wing

So far I have in my cart:

A-Wing
Tie Interceptor
Tie Advanced
B-Wing
StarViper
Rebel Aces
Imperial Aces
X-Wing
Tie Fighter
Core Set
Kihraxz
Tantive IV

Is the Tie Bomber worth it for Adrenaline Rush? What about Lambda Shuttle? Tie Defender/E-Wing for Outmaneuver? K-Wing/Y-Wing?

I will be buying the Imperial Assault Carrier next month, mainly for the Tie Fighter cards I have seen.

The Scum ships (and Tantive) are in the list for the upgrade cards. I don't think I will play the Scum faction anytime soon.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I played a demo game of X-Wing at my local shop. I really liked it, so I bought the new core set, the Falcon, and the Slave I.

They also gave me some sort of promo Poe card.

I'm putting together a fairly large order on Amazon. Any suggestions on what I might be missing?

I want to play:
"Fat Han"
Some sort of Baron Soontir Fel build
Darth Vader's Tie Advanced
Wedge Antilles
Tie Swarm
Tie Interceptor list of some sort
Tycho in A-Wing

So far I have in my cart:

A-Wing
Tie Interceptor
Tie Advanced
B-Wing
StarViper
Rebel Aces
Imperial Aces
X-Wing
Tie Fighter
Core Set
Kihraxz
Tantive IV

Is the Tie Bomber worth it for Adrenaline Rush? What about Lambda Shuttle? Tie Defender/E-Wing for Outmaneuver? K-Wing/Y-Wing?

I will be buying the Imperial Assault Carrier next month, mainly for the Tie Fighter cards I have seen.

Looks like a great collection to start with. Adrenaline Rush is not so useful that it's worth buying the TIE Bomber pack just to get it, but TIE Bombers can be fun — the most useful thing in that pack is probably one of the pilots, Captain Jonus, who boosts nearby ships using secondary weapons. Oh, and a copy of Proton Bombs.

The TIE Advanced isn't competitive without the upgrade cards in the recently released Imperial Raider. It's $90, but it comes with an alt paint job of an Advanced, and the upgrade cards and new pilots for the Advanced are worth it. Besides, you get a big Star Destroyer-like model to play, which is cool.

The Lambda Shuttle definitely has uses. It combos well with the Emperor Palpatine crew that comes with that Imperial Raider, too...

Make sure you get one of each Core Set — the original one released in 2012 with a red logo and the new Force Awakens one released a few months ago.

Looks like a great collection to start with. Adrenaline Rush is not so useful that it's worth buying the TIE Bomber pack just to get it, but TIE Bombers can be fun — the most useful thing in that pack is probably one of the pilots, Captain Jonus, who boosts nearby ships using secondary weapons. Oh, and a copy of Proton Bombs.

The TIE Advanced isn't competitive without the upgrade cards in the recently released Imperial Raider. It's $90, but it comes with an alt paint job of an Advanced, and the upgrade cards and new pilots for the Advanced are worth it. Besides, you get a big Star Destroyer-like model to play, which is cool.

The Lambda Shuttle definitely has uses. It combos well with the Emperor Palpatine crew that comes with that Imperial Raider, too...

Make sure you get one of each Core Set — the original one released in 2012 with a red logo and the new Force Awakens one released a few months ago.

Good info. I have the Force Awakens set and have the original one in my Amazon cart.

The main reason I had the Advanced in my cart was to play as Vader. Is he not very good?

Also... is the Fat Han build scumbag to run? I don't want to run something totally OP at the local shop, but really like the idea of a strong Han list.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Good info. I have the Force Awakens set and have the original one in my Amazon cart.

The main reason I had the Advanced in my cart was to play as Vader. Is he not very good?

Also... is the Fat Han build scumbag to run? I don't want to run something totally OP at the local shop, but really like the idea of a strong Han list.

LoL, Fat Han isn't scumbag to run ... for a while. Use it consistently and your opponents might get a little tired of it, heh. Although you need some ships to go with Han, like three Z-95s, or a couple X-Wings. It's not just about the YT-1300.

Vader is great. The ship he flies is not, though. It needs the title card that comes in the Imperial Raider to make it better — it adds a system upgrade slot to the ship and says that any system upgrade card attached is discounted by 4 squad points, making every system upgrade in the game free ... except for the new one that also comes in the Imperial Raider. It costs 5 but is TIE Advanced-only so it really only costs 1 and it adds a critical hit to each attack the Advanced makes as long as it has an unused target lock on the target. Most people use that upgrade, Advanced Targeting Computer, on the aces while using Accuracy Corrector on the lower-PS Advanced pilots.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
LoL, Fat Han isn't scumbag to run ... for a while. Use it consistently and your opponents might get a little tired of it, heh. Although you need some ships to go with Han, like three Z-95s, or a couple X-Wings. It's not just about the YT-1300.

Vader is great. The ship he flies is not, though. It needs the title card that comes in the Imperial Raider to make it better — it adds a system upgrade slot to the ship and says that any system upgrade card attached is discounted by 4 squad points, making every system upgrade in the game free ... except for the new one that also comes in the Imperial Raider. It costs 5 but is TIE Advanced-only so it really only costs 1 and it adds a critical hit to each attack the Advanced makes as long as it has an unused target lock on the target. Most people use that upgrade, Advanced Targeting Computer, on the aces while using Accuracy Corrector on the lower-PS Advanced pilots.

yup, Vader goes from ok to excellent with the Raider expansion.

he's playable casually without it though

Blank!

you can also proxy/sub the card in for casuals and even most tourney's provided you make a friend or two. Raider is expensive just to fly Vader IMO :/

I think I'm going to scale the purchase back a bit and pick up the rest after Christmas.

I already ordered the A-Wing and Interceptor the other day. I think an original core set and rebel aces / imperial aces would be enough for now. I'll proxy the cards to make fat Han for now and I'll be able to fly Fel too.

*edit* Got Rebel Aces, Imperial Aces, old Core, X-Wing, Tie Fighter on the way. This should be a good mix of ships to play a few lists with my friend. I'll have to do some googling to find proxies for printing...

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I think I'm going to scale the purchase back a bit and pick up the rest after Christmas.

I already ordered the A-Wing and Interceptor the other day. I think an original core set and rebel aces / imperial aces would be enough for now. I'll proxy the cards to make fat Han for now and I'll be able to fly Fel too.

*edit* Got Rebel Aces, Imperial Aces, old Core, X-Wing, Tie Fighter on the way. This should be a good mix of ships to play a few lists with my friend. I'll have to do some googling to find proxies for printing...

Yep, definitely plenty of options. Probably best not to buy everything all at once ... this way, you can spend some more time trying out all the different options each ship and upgrade give you.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Yep, definitely plenty of options. Probably best not to buy everything all at once ... this way, you can spend some more time trying out all the different options each ship and upgrade give you.

and know it's a long road when you start to want to run multiple Bs, or Squints or whatever.

oh and Scum and Villainy haha

Question for fellow S&V focused players: what are your thoughts on generic Kihraxz Cartel Marauders w/ Glitterstim?

I'm thinking of running 2 with a fat Bossk, but have no idea how they play.

Walshicus

In the very unlikely event any of you live in Chichester, England, there's a board game / miniatures / comics and coffee shop opening up on North Street selling X wing. Pretty safe bet they'll run tourneys...

Tensketch

Question for fellow S&V focused players: what are your thoughts on generic Kihraxz Cartel Marauders w/ Glitterstim?

I'm thinking of running 2 with a fat Bossk, but have no idea how they play.

My experience with k fighters is that you have to accept that they're gonna die. So running them as fat backup may not be the best choice. I don't know why they're so squishy but they've never survived for me as well as doubling up on generic z-95s

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Zeta Leader will love hanging around Epsilon Leader (the TIE/FO that removes stress tokens from everyone at Range 1 of it)

Targeting Astromech + Integrated Astromech is a nice little buff to old X-Wings. Gives them dice modification after K-turning and gives them essentially an extra shield. Rookie Pilots with those two cards would cost 23. Now the question is whether that's worth taking over a naked 22-point Blue Squadron B-Wing. With the Rookie, you lose two shields, Barrel Roll and the 1-turn maneuver in exchange for one more agility die, white 3-banks, 3-turns and target locks on K-turns.Somewhat more maneuverable and a little better at jousting but squishier and without the option of taking a System upgrade like FCS or Accuracy Corrector. ehhhhh the B-Wing still kinda looks better, but at least the gap is closer.

Really loving this release, but in terms of competition play, most of these characters will probably only show up in Crew form. PS 3-7 is either not high enough, or not worth the cost upgrade from a generic.

The shuttle has a really nice dial, and no generic pilot which I find interesting. Sabine adding bomb slots to any ship with a crew slot is pretty fun.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
there's a lot of huge stuff in that expansion. The crew is insane.

Ghost could see some play with that dial

Sabine's attack shuttle with PTL is huge. Do a barrel roll or boost, push the limit for an action, reveal a green manuever, and then take another action. Unstressed, focus/evaded, and repositioned.

Could even engine upgrade for more fun

Ezra Attack Shuttle PTL + Kanan could be fun too

So I just got my Raiders and my Imperial Star Destroyer models for Armada. The ISD is bigger than my hand. The model is so detailed that I kinda just want one to sit on my desk.

Top Bottom