• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game | The Official Thread

Slermy

So, do you guys think they'll ever release Scum & Villainy pilot cards for the YT-1300 & YT-2400? I'm surprised the original Most Wanted pack did not include these.

Toxi

Banned
So, do you guys think they'll ever release Scum & Villainy pilot cards for the YT-1300 & YT-2400? I'm surprised the original Most Wanted pack did not include these.
The problem with this is that Scum and Villainy already has three Rebel ships. Giving them any more makes the two factions feel less distinct.

At most I could see a Scum version of the Outer Rim Smuggler YT-1300 with an Illicit slot. The Rebels rarely use that statline for the YT-1300 anyway.
oJfS3Pn.png

Never say never, but I can't see it happening in the current Xwing climate. The roles of both the YTs have already been taken with existing ships in Scum by this point (especially with the release of the Jumpmaster,) and giving Scum access to both ships just dilutes the differences of both factions. Also, this is a little more of a fluffy reason, the YT1300 is so iconically Rebel I can't see FFG wanting to give any non-Rebel faction access to that ship, despite the expanded story reasons saying why that should be fine.

Tensketch

It's gonna be my first time paying attention to a X-Wing tournament. Hope I can learn to play better from watching pros.

If you're lucky, you may catch a match or two with either Alex Davy or Frank Brooks on commentary. They're the lead designers of X-Wing and they get incredibly passionate talking about the game their watching.

Slermy

The problem with this is that Scum and Villainy already has three Rebel ships. Giving them any more makes the two factions feel less distinct.

At most I could see a Scum version of the Outer Rim Smuggler YT-1300 with an Illicit slot. The Rebels rarely use that statline for the YT-1300 anyway.

This is true, though I wasn't a big fan of them getting Y-Wings to begin with.

Never say never, but I can't see it happening in the current Xwing climate. The roles of both the YTs have already been taken with existing ships in Scum by this point (especially with the release of the Jumpmaster,) and giving Scum access to both ships just dilutes the differences of both factions. Also, this is a little more of a fluffy reason, the YT1300 is so iconically Rebel I can't see FFG wanting to give any non-Rebel faction access to that ship, despite the expanded story reasons saying why that should be fine.

Valid points. Honestly I'd just love to be able to load up my YT-2400 with a Jawa. It's all I want. :(

Tensketch

Paul Heaver was up first on the stream and scored a win.

His List:

Poe
- VI
- R2D2
- Autothrusters

Gold Squadron
- TLT
- Title
- Stressbot

Gold Squadron
- TLT

Bandit Squadron

Nete

I really hope they will feature what they may consider an interesting/diverse match instead the default "let's stream the #1 table all the goddamn tourney".

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Running Poe with VI and R2-D2 is certainly an interesting choice. Feels like he's trying to make him anti-TLT (with R2-D2 and Autothrusters) as well as anti-Soontir (with VI) but I would question how well Poe will be able to keep up with Soontir. But what do I know? Heaver's just the two-time champion of this game going for his third.

Running Poe with VI and R2-D2 is certainly an interesting choice. Feels like he's trying to make him anti-TLT (with R2-D2 and Autothrusters) as well as anti-Soontir (with VI) but I would question how well Poe will be able to keep up with Soontir. But what do I know? Heaver's just the two-time champion of this game going for his third.

I wonder if the VI on Poe is more of an anti-Vader move and is leaving the Soontir countering to the free spinning TLT and stressbot (both very effective anti-Interceptor ship builds).

Nete

Took a break from the stream, and after turned it on again we have the two-times national french champion (both times with a full TIE swarm) playing.

Thisgonnabegood.gif

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Took a break from the stream, and after turned it on again we have the two-times national french champion (both times with a full TIE swarm) playing.

Thisgonnabegood.gif

Does he have another TIE swarm today?

[edit] From Fantasy Flight's Twitter ... the Palpmobile meta is real:
CS_txMOUEAALvYV.jpg

CS_vS57WEAAWbh4.jpg

CS_wmttWcAIqDbM.jpg

"Calculated by # of players using that ship in their build."

Tensketch

Wow, it's awesome to see the StarViper getting some love there at joint 3rd for Scum. But I do understand that scum is only repping 26% of the lists.

Also, I'm happy the Phantom is still in the top 5 despite the fix. It's a good ship, just means the person flying it has to be good.

Also, I legit never thought I'd see the day where a Y-Wing was the most popular ship. FFG sure know how to fix a ship.

And hey! No B-Wing!

Ah, I see. So basically filler.

The Z-95 is amazing for this. Same with academy pilot. Just perfect filler ships and they work so well.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
"Hot Poe on Poe action" LoL

Alex Davy, you so cheeky

Our world championship matchup:

(1st Swiss) - Paul Heaver (7-0-1, 38, 1167, 3.5)
Poe Dameron + R2‑D2 + Veteran Instincts + Autothrusters
Gold Squadron Pilot + R3‑A2 + BTL‑A4 Y‑wing + Twin Laser Turret
Gold Squadron Pilot + Twin Laser Turret
Bandit Squadron Pilot

(10th Swiss) - Nathan Eide (5-1-2, 31, 1227, 3.0)
Corran Horn + R2-D2 + Engine Upgrade + Push The Limit + Fire Control Systems;
Poe Dameron + Veteran Instincts + Autothrusters + R5-P9
Prototype Pilot + Chardaan Refit

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
This play-by-play is almost Dodgeball-tier commentary, LoL

[edit] With Corran dying on like turn four or five and the A-Wing hanging on by a thread ... Heaver is rolling this poor kid.

I think I might be getting into this game, sounds like a little league is starting up at my local shop. Right now I plan to buy 1 of each core set. I think I would like to play as Han Solo.. so I guess I will be getting the Falcon expansion too.

Are there any essential packs I would need to pick up to get some good cards for Han?

Blank!

I think I might be getting into this game, sounds like a little league is starting up at my local shop. Right now I plan to buy 1 of each core set. I think I would like to play as Han Solo.. so I guess I will be getting the Falcon expansion too.

Are there any essential packs I would need to pick up to get some good cards for Han?

Still a newbie here, but from everything i've read, C3P0 is really good on the falcon but also comes in one of the most expensive expansions (tantive 4). Gunner is also recommended but you can use Luke in it's place (albeit, at 2 additional cost). I think most everything else that's essential is already in the pack.

Wish I saw your post earlier, it was on amazon earlier this week for $10.00 with free shipping.

Han is fairly self sufficient, although C-3P0 works well with him as well and Gunner and Predator. If I had to recommend anything, I would say get an Ewing due to it containing the predator upgrade and Corran Horn synergies well with the Falcon.

Nete

C3PO should be pretty cheap to buy from other players now (and easy to find someone selling it), as there are promo versions on the store championship kits.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Han is fairly self sufficient, although C-3P0 works well with him as well and Gunner and Predator. If I had to recommend anything, I would say get an Ewing due to it containing the predator upgrade and Corran Horn synergies well with the Falcon.

E-Wing doesn't have Predator, it has Outmaneuver (which does Han no good).

The TIE Defender and the Kihraxz have Predator.

The Tantive IV also has the crew version of R2-D2, which can be useful on Han. I believe Heaver had C-3PO and R2-D2 on the Falcon he won Worlds with last year.

Good info guys, thanks!

Can you run a new model tie fighter as one of the classic ties in a tournament? If I want to run a tie swarm with OT ties... do I need to have 6 of the same tie or can I proxy two of the new ones?

Blank!

Good info guys, thanks!

Can you run a new model tie fighter as one of the classic ties in a tournament? If I want to run a tie swarm with OT ties... do I need to have 6 of the same tie or can I proxy two of the new ones?

the dials are different for the new tie's so that wouldn't really work. The new ties are pretty good though IMO.

Ah ok cool. The Imperial Aces box looks fun too, I might try to squeeze that into my budget. I was a big fan of Baron Soontir Fel in the old Star Wars ccg.

Nete

Ah ok cool. The Imperial Aces box looks fun too, I might try to squeeze that into my budget. I was a big fan of Baron Soontir Fel in the old Star Wars ccg.

Fel it's on the single TIE Interceptor expansion, although he needs the Imperial Aces box to really shine. At least for tournaments, outside them proxy cards are a thing.

Any chance we'll see R60 T-Wings added? Had a soft spot for those in the old X-Wing PC games.

I hope not. It's even uglier than the original Colonial Viper from BSG :p

Top Bottom