• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

what was the war3 beta like and what did people hack it to do? Wasn't really following what happened then. Really hoping they unlock some hard AIs and 8 player skirmish or something.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
quick blizzard, full public beta before you lose control!

private betas inspire hackers and when [not if] they get through the beta will be out of your hands and last as long as people want it to. make yours public and they'll lose support! its the only way!
me first

Vitet

clip said:
You the best.

You're welcome
chan.png

It's my upload XD The file is the huge StarCraft II beta\Mods\Liberty.SC2Mod of 1,7Gb or so. Open it and filter by OGG. Just search for assets/music and you got it!

Yaweee

Ice Monkey said:
what was the war3 beta like and what did people hack it to do? Wasn't really following what happened then. Really hoping they unlock some hard AIs and 8 player skirmish or something.

People made private servers. It was a lot more complicated due to the constant updates to the game; it was nowhere near as complete as Starcraft 2 appears to be. Orc were barely functional when the beta started.

Smash88

Banned
Enosh said:
I have the same problem -.-

I contacted them some year ago and they told me to send them the whole game I buyed to the US, couldn't be bothered to do that a year ago since the beta was still a long time away. Contacted them now again to see if I can do something without having to send the game to the US

If they even remotely make me do that I will raise some hell (maybe if I call them). I own the game, I should be able to authenticate it, just because they have a piece of shit system on their end is not my problem. I own it, I refuse to pay shipping, just so those guys can diddle away. I can provide you with a picture and a cd-key if needed. Otherwise they can suck my balls. I'm pretty upset, that I won't even have a chance at tying it with my account, nor will I be able to get into the beta.

Tremis

This man does his research.
If people want to play SC1, its really worth running the LatencyChanger plugin (which comes with Chaoslauncher) to get rid of the horrendous input lag you normally get. This actually made it fun to play SC with my friends over battlenet, and while i'm still a noob, after playing the campaign, i couldnt' stand the input lag.

Here is a link to the latest chaoslauncher. http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=65196

Basically, I check off latencychanger and chaosplugin and start broodwar with that. Then you make a game with a name ending in #LL to enable the latencychanger. everyone who joins that games has to have that plugin running though, or it won't work.

autobzooty said:
I dont think which games you have registered has anything to do with the selection process. What matters more is probably the computer specs you submitted.
pretty sure you had to register at least one game if not starcraft itself to be eligible for the beta

Yaweee

Yeah, they were fun. Sorry for picking that godawful map for the first one =(

We really should just make a new SC1 thread in the online forum. I'll create it if people think that is a good idea.

Milabrega

Yeah great games. Pandaman may have won them both, but I had the higher score! All you beta people better watch out for us still stuck on vanilla, we're hungry, and we'll be in wave 2 gunning for you.

mcrae

anyone still playing sc1?

i checked out #gaf and #neogaf on east and west, no one on... im playing a used map settings on east, whisper me if you're up for a game!

*im not good, i normally play use map setting, havent played regular in a looong time so someone equal skill level would be nice :)

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
-COOLIO- said:
the commentary is great but LESS TALKY MORE CRAFTY

Yea. He can take long ass breaks between games. He was on the phone to some "girl" before telling her he is taking a personal break because the game the website he runs is now out. It was fucking hilarious :lol

He seems to be trying to learn terran at the moment. Quality is good, discussion on things seems decent, always trying new things in the next match etc.

The 2v2 he was doing a few nights ago was always on. Very little talking between matches, But right now it seems to be about learning a specific race.

LOL I just realized why I've been doing so badly.

I've been trying out all the races, but one thing that bothered me is that terran was hit or miss for me. I thought I was playing a lot of great players or something, but it turns out I've been doing fine I bet I've just been unknowingly handicapping myself.

I've been playing terran like it's still SC1. I hadn't been using planetary fortress, mule, supply drops, even medivacs when ive been using infantry.

I tried using lots of reapers but I just realized I hadn't purchased nitro boosters.

I tried using lots of marines but never bought the combat shield or whatever, so I was going in with 150 less hitpoints than I couldve. Also like I said I havent been using medivacs!

I'm amazed that I've actually won 3 or 4 games with terran with how much I've been missing about playing them.

The fire bat replacements(can't think of the name) and the hellions are great additions. Each race has a much larger focus on air as well.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
-COOLIO- said:
the commentary is great but LESS TALKY MORE CRAFTY
sometimes i think you may be the greatest amongst us.

method is a great stream, but 2 days ago there was one with a guy doing build orders according to what people voted for in the stream, problem is i didnt bother remembering the name, did anyone else see it/remember the account?

BlueScrote said:
The fire bat replacements(can't think of the name) and the hellions are great additions. Each race has a much larger focus on air as well.

I thought the hellions WERE the firebat replacements...

they replaced both vultures and firebats at the same time, yeah?

Ice Monkey said:
LOL I just realized why I've been doing so badly.

I've won 6 games total so far (and been beaten more than double that), all as Zerg. My problems have been simply not knowing what steps are good to take in SC2. My SC1 strategies were pretty simple and tended to work very well. That, and I was used to playing on mega mineral maps like Big Game Hunters that required zero expansion. Watching replays has helped me a good bit.

So far I've really liked the game. The extra touch Blizzard adds to their games always just makes them that much more satisfactory.

edit: If anyone is up for playing the beta later today (Saturday) I may be up for it

God SC2 is so freaking fun. I'm having a blast.

Gave my other key to my best friend. We grew up on SC1 so it feels like the old days. Its great.

I had never played Toss until tonight.. yet all my wins are with Toss.. They are so good early on..

Zergs are fun too.. Baneling mass rush is funny as hell..

mcrae

TurtleSnatcher said:
God SC2 is so freaking fun. I'm having a blast.

Gave my other key to my best friend. We grew up on SC1 so it feels like the old days. Its great.

I had never played Toss until tonight.. yet all my wins are with Toss.. They are so good early on..

Zergs are fun too.. Baneling mass rush is funny as hell..

how did you get two keys?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
mcrae said:
how did you get two keys?
by channeling the combined hatred of gaf back in time to create the second key that then causes the existence of the hatred.

terminator rules time travel.

TheExodu5

Banned
Hmmm from watching some more replays, the game is actually very demanding in terms of performance hardware.

My Q8300 @ 3.0GHz and GTX 275 drops to 30fps in very normal circumstances (bout 45 pop on each team...no battles occurring at the moment). Dropping everything to lowest brings that up to about 70fps. I'm not sure exactly how scalable the game is at the moment, as I could be CPU limited at low settings.

Definitely kind of disappointed I can't maintain 60fps with decent visual settings though. :(

Pooya

TheExodu5 said:
Hmmm from watching some more replays, the game is actually very demanding in terms of performance hardware.

My Q8300 @ 3.0GHz and GTX 275 drops to 30fps in very normal circumstances (bout 45 pop on each team...no battles occurring at the moment). Dropping everything to lowest brings that up to about 70fps. I'm not sure exactly how scalable the game is at the moment, as I could be CPU limited at low settings.

Definitely kind of disappointed I can't maintain 60fps with decent visual settings though. :(
It's a beta after all , expect performance improvements in the final release and the numerous patches it will get.

God dammit. I realized when I signed up for the beta eons ago it was on the OSX side of my MBP. I updated the system on my windows 7 side a few minutes ago. Am I screwed for getting into the beta?

If not, I really could use a key. :(

Top Bottom