• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Wow this game is really causing a graphics war huh? Guess it's time to upgrade, I hope my 8800 GTS can handle this game on its highest settings, though I only have a dual core. Any thoughts?

deathberry

Neo Member
GregLombardi said:
Wow this game is really causing a graphics war huh? Guess it's time to upgrade, I hope my 8800 GTS can handle this game on its highest settings, though I only have a dual core. Any thoughts?

Yea, the 8800GTS is going to struggle on Ultra settings, an 800GT might have pulled through. And depends on what Dual Core you have. Anything @ 3ish GHz should be fine.

deathberry said:
Yea, the 8800GTS is going to struggle on Ultra settings, an 800GT might have pulled through. And depends on what Dual Core you have. Anything @ 3ish GHz should be fine.
That makes me sad..I only have a 2.4 ghz dual core. Maybe I need to upgrade my Mobo + GPU + processors? Le sigh. I just got this comp 1.5 years ago!

But don't you think that Blizzard will optimize the system requirements as the Beta progresses? In some Beta's that I have been in, the optimization became much, much better near launch!

Olivero

How am I for SC2 guys?

8EvXr.png

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Olivero said:
How am I for SC2 guys?

8EvXr.png
i dunno, what do you think?

* PC Minimum Requirements:
• Windows XP SP3/Vista SP1/Windows 7
• 2.2 Ghz Pentium IV or equivalent AMD Athlon processor
• 1 GB system RAM/1.5 GB for Vista and Windows 7
• 128 MB NVidia GeForce 6600 GT/ATI Radeon 9800 PRO video card
• 1024x768 minimum display resolution
• 4 GB free hard space (Beta)
• Broadband connection

jonremedy

The beta runs fine on my computer. With texture and graphics quality at 'high' I get anywhere from 70-50 fps, and I don't really notice when it drops below 60. My computer is Q6600 2.4 GHz, 4GB of RAM and 9800GT which is the same card as 8800GT. Everything is running at standard frequencies. Starcraft 2 only uses a maximum of 2 CPU cores and only 1 of the cores is maxed out.

deathberry

Neo Member
GregLombardi said:
That makes me sad..I only have a 2.4 ghz dual core. Maybe I need to upgrade my Mobo + GPU + processors? Le sigh. I just got this comp 1.5 years ago!

As jonremedy pointed out, 2 cores should be enough, unless you're running multiple apps (apart from antivirus and firewall) in the background. You'll probaly get High settings with 40+ fps. And honestly, I don't see the need for RTS games going over 30 fps making any significant difference, these aren't racing of fps games.

Next beta codes will roll out in the coing week, so hang on there folks!

Heres one...I have a 2.4 ghz Macbook Pro from years ago with the old ass GeForce8600M...(and 4 gigs of ram)..

How well do you think it will run SC. I know Im not expecting ultra, maybe not even high, but I just want to run it at maybe 1280 x 960 or whatever at now mega-low shit settings to get a smooth framerate :p

(and before you say "no mac beta yet", I switched to my windows 7 partition and updated my beta settings...so hopefully I have a chance for now!)
Much Thanks.

jonremedy

Xal-Shoota said:
Heres one...I have a 2.4 ghz Macbook Pro from years ago with the old ass GeForce8600M...(and 4 gigs of ram)..

How well do you think it will run SC. I know Im not expecting ultra, maybe not even high, but I just want to run it at maybe 1280 x 960 or whatever at now mega-low shit settings to get a smooth framerate :p

(and before you say "no mac beta yet", I switched to my windows 7 partition and updated my beta settings...so hopefully I have a chance for now!)
Much Thanks.

I'm positive you'll get 40-60 fps with everything on medium at that resolution.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
For some reason, Battle.net is unable to identify my CPU, it only says "AMD Processor model unknown". I hope it doesn't hurt my chances for future waves.

I have a AMD Athlon II X4 2.6 ghz, am i missing some driver so that Battle.net is unable to see that?

Calantus

I'm getting better at the game, playing as protoss. I'm getting the build order down and i'm finally not dieing in the first five minutes. Still can't beat the computer :lol, i swear all of these custom maps have the CPU set at hard, or higher.

edit: playing starcraft 1

Bisnic said:
For some reason, Battle.net is unable to identify my CPU, it only says "AMD Processor model unknown". I hope it doesn't hurt my chances for future waves.

I have a AMD Athlon II X4 2.6 ghz, am i missing some driver so that Battle.net is unable to see that?

No, it just probably isn't programmed into their system scan.

Zzoram

Ice Monkey said:
by the way, holy hell I remember why I never played any ladder/melee games on war3 or sc despite having bought them several times...I've played more sc/war3 8 player compstomp ffa tonight than sc2 beta.

I absolutely cannot stand losing as much as I do in ladder/matchmaking games. I know, it's just because I'm terrible but it's just taking way too long for me to learn one lesson at a time, i.e: 20 minute games to learn how to defend against DTs as I'll explain. And I have no idea how to apply my beatings to a respectable lesson most times.

I got completely owned in the last game before I ragequit the beta tonight. I had no joke, 30 marines or more, and 5 medivacs. 5 dark templars destroyed my entire resources and i had to fly my command center away, so i retaliate by destroying the toss player's terran teammate with my m&m. terran player's exp and main base were decimated, and what happens? toss drops in his 5-8 dark templar to the teammates base and my marines are gone in less than 20 seconds. I couldnt do a scan to reveal them because he destroyed that command center.

Anyways, I dont even know what to do in the future to counter any of this. ok maybe some missiles near the command center but by the time i notice he's in the base and get my marines there the missiles are dead im sure, and then he'd do exactly like he did this time: moved the DT away for about 10 seconds when I scan sweep and then get back to destroying the base. not only that but now i have to keep a scan sweep available at all times, bypassing any mules or planetary fortress defense i couldve been getting.

Then, what do i do to counter DTs in general with m&m? weren't science vessels what you used before, but now they're gone?

This game wasnt even endgame, i spammed marines as fast as i could and yet he had DTs up the ass and a billion void rays backing them up by the time I was running in with 30 marines for my m&m.

This is basically every game i've played against toss, their tech somehow always ends up winning the game for them, its no wonder everyone plays toss in the beta matches ive played.

I'm getting really tired of blizzard not allowing harder difficulty compstomp or 8-player maps, or if they need to force matchmaking to let like 20-30 thousand people or more in so I can ACTUALLY PLAY AGAINST PEOPLE MY LEVEL, 9/10 games ive played have been against people way above my skill level.

You should always build 1 detector tower at your base entrance and at your mineral line. Also, build a Raven, it's a mobile detector that can follow your Medivacs around. That late into the game, you would've had plenty of opportunity to do it. DTs are pretty worthless once you can detect them.

The beta isn't allowing 4v4 or high difficulty AI yet but the full game will have those things. Also, as more people get into the beta, there will be more people playing at lower levels.

Milabrega

Yeah Icemonkey detection is key especially when playing vs a Protoss player as terran. Best advice I can give is watch your replays. You will see where you went wrong and the vulnerabilities of your opponent. If you get truly stomped out, you can just watch that higher skilled person play and learn from that.

Zyzyxxz

Bisnic said:

Is it one of the new processors that has a model number that ends in a Phenom II XX5 ?

Most likely they haven't updated their CPU list.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
DieH@rd said:
Nice, hopefully we will at last see some endgame units [Mothership :D ]
edit - damn, thats T not P :) my bad
I watched a mothership on a stream. Brutal unit. So much energy also, spells cost so little.
But you can only have a single one so I guess it is ok? Has 400/400 Shield/HP though.
Milabrega said:
Been watching this stream: http://www.teamliquid.net/video/userstream.php?user=FrozenArbiter
Psi storm looks just as devastating if not more so than before.
I heard it only does 80 now? And the Bnet delay/lag/inputlag/delay makes it a hard cast.

Tworak

Hazaro said:
I heard it only does 80 now? And the Bnet delay/lag/inputlag/delay makes it a hard cast.
Tyler(I think that's NonY) tore up some major face with storm when I watched his stream so I dunno...

zguL

Speaking of NonY; he is about to play in the SC1 TSL semifinals right now.

Stream: mms://live.teamliquid.net:80 (open with VLC)

TheExodu5

Banned
Minsc said:
It makes sense to me. He's going this these steps:

1) Once you can prove you're CPU limited your framerate is the highest it can get and lightening the GPU load shouldn't improve the framerate, since you're CPU limited.

2) Same framerate across high and low resolutions means CPU limited... lowering the resolution puts less load on the GPU, so frame rate normally goes up if you are not CPU limited.

3) Lowering shaders (normally a GPU feature) increased the framerate by over 100% - should have had no effect if his CPU is limiting the framerate.

So this is either a bug, or shaders include items that are being calculated by the CPU.

Gracias. Explained it much better than I could.

Zzoram

InsertCredit said:
Thanks guys! Will this be his last major feat in sc1 before switching over?

Nony is one of the very few Americans who was good enough to represent the USA at WCG (he won the US qualifiers) and Nony was invited to train in Korea on a professional team. He didn't stay past 2 months though because he had a girlfriend back home he wanted to marry.

Zzoram said:
Nony is one of the very few Americans who was good enough to represent the USA at WCG (he won the US qualifiers) and Nony was invited to train in Korea on a professional team. He didn't stay past 2 months though because he had a girlfriend back home he wanted to marry.
aww <3

Can't wait to face him in the platinum league ;)

Enosh

Zzoram said:
real pros choose SC over girlfriends

aznpxdd

Woo...guess I still got it. (I was a pretty hardcore SC player back in the day)

I just handled all 3 players in a 4 player FFA. Damn the Marine/Marauder/Stim/Medivac combo is deadly.

I'm really excited about this, but I'll probably never play online.

I'm one of those RTS guys that enjoys taking their time. Watching his little minions do as their told. slowly deciding what I want to do next and where to go.

I am the type that becomes cannon fodder online. I'm scared to learn to play extremely fast, as I feel like I will miss the little things that I appreciated.

*shrugs*

idunno.

IceMarker

For those of you in the Beta who suck at Starcraft in general like me, but still play online, what's the copper league like? Is it full of pros who just want an easy win or are there actually players in that league I have a chance at actually winning against?

Seriously I don't want another SFIV on my hands where I get so mad at the online community whooping my ass where I quit multi forever. :lol

NeoUltima

I specwise my laptop can run SC2 easily...but I have serious overheating issues. CPU and GPU get well above 90c when gaming.

Anyone know of a cheap, effective cooling solution? (I already have it raised up btw)

Milabrega

MrMister said:
Seriously I don't want another SFIV on my hands where I get so mad at the online community whooping my ass where I quit multi forever.

If you are in the beta, your hands are kind of tied on the game modes you have right now and the people who play. Come release however you'll have all kinds of noob friendly communities and game modes to play.

ZealousD may not want to jump the gun on an official thread, I mean, we don't have a release date and well, this Official Beta thread was made in June last year, but beta only started this week.

Watched the last two matches and the current match on this stream some good proxy pylon and forcefield play from a Protoss player. Though he doesn't change from his stalker/immortla build type, then again he's faced three zerg's and they've all gone roach/banelings -> Hydra. SO w/e works.

Gribbix

MrMister said:
For those of you in the Beta who suck at Starcraft in general like me, but still play online, what's the copper league like? Is it full of pros who just want an easy win or are there actually players in that league I have a chance at actually winning against?
I haven't played much in the copper league yet so I can't comment on that yet. However, you're only allowed one profile per battle.net account. You also can't delete your profile and start over with a new one. I'm pretty sure this was done to prevent higher ranked players from creating new profiles in order to wail on the less skilled players. The only way for a highly skilled player to beatdown on lower ranked players would be for them to intentionally lose games so that they'd drop into a lower ranked league. Of course, you'll occasionally run into an unranked yet high-skill player but that's expected since battle.net requires these sort of matches as a metric in order to rank new players.

My PC couldnt run it with the below stats

Athlon X2 6000+
2GB of Ram
GeForce 7900GT

I upgraded the card to a 5670 1GB

Now it runs it just fine on High settings .. I have effects on Ultra.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Milabrega said:
ZealousD may not want to jump the gun on an official thread, I mean, we don't have a release date and well, this Official Beta thread was made in June last year, but beta only started this week.

I say this full well expecting the game to come out in August/September. I'm that antsy. :lol

http://www.livestream.com/sclgifted

Starcraft Legacy is starting, doing 2v2's with good commentary.

This is my favorite stream so far. It doesn't have the high visual quality of the Starcraft Method stream, but it looks better than most of the beta streams. The thing that helps it stand apart from the others is Gifted's commentary and involvement in the chat. He also isn't taking things very seriously, which adds a nice casual feeling to the stream.

Top Bottom