• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Ponn01 said:
Have a question related to this game. I got a new powerful laptop, culv, it just doesn't have a cd/dvd drive. Got it mainly for this game and got a good preorder price on it but i'm trying to figure out how to get it on this laptop without having to buy an external drive I would only be using once for this game. I'm assuming once its on their and registered with Blizzard I won't need the disc drive again but I need to find a way to get on the machine once I get it. I've asked all my friends and no one has a external dvd drive. Any ideas?

A few things:
-get a cheap external DVD drive from NewEgg, I'm sure it will come in handy for other uses.

-When you buy the boxed version of the game, it is likely you'll be able to download the client once you register the key with bnet. Who knows, maybe even the beta will update to the full version once you register a key.

-there will likely be iso images floating around on the internet. I wouldn't normally suggest this, but as long as you have a valid key, you could probably find an image of the disc out there and work from that. This would be my absolute last resort / act of desperation, I would sooner purchase a cheap external drive. Come to think of it, you could ask a trusted friend to create a disc image for you.

spazzfish

Ponn01 said:
Have a question related to this game. I got a new powerful laptop, culv, it just doesn't have a cd/dvd drive. Got it mainly for this game and got a good preorder price on it but i'm trying to figure out how to get it on this laptop without having to buy an external drive I would only be using once for this game. I'm assuming once its on their and registered with Blizzard I won't need the disc drive again but I need to find a way to get on the machine once I get it. I've asked all my friends and no one has a external dvd drive. Any ideas?

Ok i'm assuming this will work. I don't see why it wouldn't.
Create an account here http://eu.blizzard.com/store/
When you get your retail copy just register your cd key on the site.
You will then be able to digitally download your game.
I've done this with all my retail diablo, starcraft and warcraft keys and it's allowed me to throw my old disks away.

J-Rod

Ponn01 said:
Just rip it to an .iso file on a pc with a disc drive (use img burn), then transfer that file over to your laptop via network or thumb drive, and lastly, mount it with virtual clonedrive.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
Does anyone know of any good articles or thread discussions about how each new race plays? I'm curious to see thoughts on how each race stacks up against each other. Thanks in advance!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Can anybody currently get replays to work during the downtime?

I was wanting to Fraps the finals of the GAF Beta tournament but I get a black screen every time I try to load a replay under every circumstance. Any version, any replay. Nothing works.

If anybody is able to load replays atm, can you please Fraps those games? I really wanted to upload them to YouTube and maybe do a commentary. Once phase 2 starts we actually can't watch our old replays anymore.

Kagami

J-Rod said:
Just rip it to an .iso file on a pc with a disc drive (use img burn), then transfer that file over to your laptop via network or thumb drive, and lastly, mount it with virtual clonedrive.
You may not even need to mess with disk images.
If Blizzard is using internet activation + battle.net as their copy protection, they probably won't bother with disc-based copy protection. You can just copy the files into a folder, onto a USB thumb drive, onto your camera's memory card, whatever.

Tenks

ZealousD said:
Can anybody currently get replays to work during the downtime?

I was wanting to Fraps the finals of the GAF Beta tournament but I get a black screen every time I try to load a replay under every circumstance. Any version, any replay. Nothing works.

If anybody is able to load replays atm, can you please Fraps those games? I really wanted to upload them to YouTube and maybe do a commentary. Once phase 2 starts we actually can't watch our old replays anymore.

Are you using a program like SC2AllIn1 or SC2 Manager?

Emitan

Kagami said:
You may not even need to mess with disk images.
If Blizzard is using internet activation + battle.net as their copy protection, they probably won't bother with disc-based copy protection. You can just copy the files into a folder, onto a USB thumb drive, onto your camera's memory card, whatever.
I'm suggesting this.

To everyone who's talking about just downloading it from B.net, Blizzard said they're not going to have a DD version until later after launch. He might as well just buy the disc.

Bisonian

Tenks said:
Has the July1 rumor ever actually been confirmed? Last time I checked the PC BanG never actually got the beta back

Nope. People are repeating the same story over and over again, even though we already know it's false from the PC BanG stuff.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Bisonian said:
Nope. People are repeating the same story over and over again, even though we already know it's false from the PC BanG stuff.
The thing is, it fits into the time schedule.
2 weeks ago moderators said the beta would restart "soon" and a week ago they said the same.
SC2 releases July 27th and they won't keep the beta up till release. So there's about a 2 week frame that fits for another beta restart. So people are reasonable believing the beta will start July 1st or the next week.

Des0lar said:
2 weeks ago moderators said the beta would restart "soon" and a week ago they said the same.
SC2 releases July 27th and they won't keep the beta up till release. So there's about a 2 week frame that fits for another beta restart. So people are reasonable believing the beta will start July 1st or the next week.

Hope to god this is true - I just got a new Macbook pro thats itching to run some SC2 on it. SC2allin1 keeps me occupied for the time being I guess.

Bisonian

Des0lar said:

Sure, it could be July 1st, and it could also be the 2nd, 4th, 13th, or 17th as well... etc, etc. People are amped about July 1st because of the now proven false schedule going around. There's no reason to believe it'll be the 1st anymore then any other day.

I'm sorry to hear that Blizzard is releasing the game in similar form to what we saw before. I wish they'd take some time to make some improvements, but I guess they know everyone's going to buy it regardless of whether its a 10.0 or a 9.0 game. It felt, in the beta, much closer to a 9.0 than a 10.0 to me, but I can't speak to the single player, that's for damn sure.

All I know is that I truly hope that Kerrigan dies by the end of the Trilogy. I hate her with a vengeance.

ZealousD

Bisonian said:
Sure, it could be July 1st, and it could also be the 2nd, 4th, 13th, or 17th as well... etc, etc. People are amped about July 1st because of the now proven false schedule going around. There's no reason to believe it'll be the 1st anymore then any other day.

Well a blue post on battle.net definitely said early July. So I don't think it'll be the 17th.

ZealousD

Bisonian said:
You aren't too familiar with how Blizzard operates I see ;)

Well, the new Phase 2 patch is going to have a data wipe with it, and remove all of the previous patch data from the game.

http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=25172121561&sid=5000

You really think they'd make a fundamental change that big and yet only have Phase 2 up for a week? A week is not a long enough time period for that kind of testing.

Ashhong

how close to the release can they keep working on the retail copy? i mean they gotta print them sometime dont they

edit: i guess it doesnt matter, just have a patch up and ready to dl by midnight, release day.

ZealousD

Ashhong said:
how close to the release can they keep working on the retail copy? i mean they gotta print them sometime dont they

They can simply load on an old build and do a "day 1" patch.

Bisonian

ZealousD said:
Well, the new Phase 2 patch is going to have a data wipe with it, and remove all of the previous patch data from the game.

http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=25172121561&sid=5000

You really think they'd make a fundamental change that big and yet only have Phase 2 up for a week? A week is not a long enough time period for that kind of testing.

They have data wiped many times over beta already, the rest of that is just deleting old folders. A week to test a patch for a game that they say is already complete, yeah I don't see them having a problem with that. Now do I think it'll be as late as July 17th? No, of course not.

The point I was trying to make though is from being an old WoW player, and from following Blizzard since it's infancy through incidents like the SC1 release date, I do not believe anything they say about any date. I'll believe the beta reopens when I'm actually downloading it no matter what they say. These guys invented "Valve Time" before Valve was even a twinkle in anyone's eye.

ZealousD

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarg

Fraps won't include the overlay that covers the replay bar. Cam Studio will include it, but it doesn't record the game sound. This is FRUSTRATING. >=(

ZealousD

Okay, so I figured it was about time that the finals of the 1v1 Beta Tournament was uploaded to YouTube. I went ahead and recorded a commentary for Game 1 and put it up.

It was an HD feed, so a 720p option will show up after it finishes processing. Also, if you want the replay bar covered, make sure your annotations are turned ON. Circumstances outside my control have made it extremely difficult for me to have a normal overlay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD29QQ-LhmI

Please tell me if you think my commentary is bad enough that you just wish it wasn't there. I won't feel insulted if you would prefer a version without my commentary. So if I totally suck, let me have it.

ZealousD said:
Okay, so I figured it was about time that the finals of the 1v1 Beta Tournament was uploaded to YouTube. I went ahead and recorded a commentary for Game 1 and put it up.

It was an HD feed, so a 720p option will show up after it finishes processing. Also, if you want the replay bar covered, make sure your annotations are turned ON. Circumstances outside my control have made it extremely difficult for me to have a normal overlay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD29QQ-LhmI

Please tell me if you think my commentary is bad enough that you just wish it wasn't there. I won't feel insulted if you would prefer a version without my commentary. So if I totally suck, let me have it.
Cool, will watch as soon as at least the 480p version is up because the I can't see stuff in this quality right now :D

Anyway did you guys watch the 2v2 teamUS vs teamEU ?

Man what an amazing set of games the stuff that TLO and Jinro did were insane :lol

ZealousD

TheThunder said:
Man what an amazing set of games the stuff that TLO and Jinro did were insane :lol

Yeah their shared base strategy seemed unbeatable. It's hard to punish a large Protoss ground army unless you have pure superior numbers. Made me think of other possible map styles that would make 2v2 more balanced. The Lost Temple / Metalopolis style is too vunerable to rushes. The shared base with choke covering the naturals favors Terran and Protoss over Zerg. Seems like the kind of 2v2 maps you can make is pretty limited.

TheThunder said:
Cool, will watch as soon as at least the 480p version is up because the I can't see stuff in this quality right now :D

Anyway did you guys watch the 2v2 teamUS vs teamEU ?

Shared base pumping on games 2+5 was pretty insane. Only way I can see to beat it is to either do it yourself or turtle hard. It does showcase the need for a Mule nerf though :lol

My favourite game out of them was game 4 though.

joelseph

close to the edge said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvIr0eF5EFg&feature=channel

TLO & Jinro vs qxc & artosis, some really awesome 2v2 games. I especially like the strategy with TLO going Protoss and Jinro getting all the expansions and then transferring him all the money from the mules so he can build a gazillion Gateway units. I'll definitely try this once the beta comes online again.

Game 1 was CRAZY! Can't wait to watch the rest.

Ashhong

close to the edge said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvIr0eF5EFg&feature=channel

TLO & Jinro vs qxc & artosis, some really awesome 2v2 games. I especially like the strategy with TLO going Protoss and Jinro getting all the expansions and then transferring him all the money from the mules so he can build a gazillion Gateway units. I'll definitely try this once the beta comes online again.

Pretty common strategy. Works really well in Twilight Fortress if your teammate is terran or zerg. Just wall off and build a shit ton of warp gates while ur teammate expands and mines. The enemy literally just cant take the pressure. I just send wave after wave in and eventually they die

mcrae

thoughts as of 3 minutes in: you're not really talking about potential strategies, what they could be going for, generally any insight other than what is obvious on-screen.
overall: it sounds as if you're trying to be quiet so as to not wake up someone in the room with you, but when i turn up the sound it gets too loud at certain points. try and just talk louder as in everyday conversation.

good job man, keep em coming!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
The Lamonster said:
Blizzard said it will be available for digital distribution "after launch" so if you don't mind waiting days, weeks or even possibly months, you could axe your pre-order and just buy it digitally. Sup to you.
That's actually really disappointing to hear. I actually assumed they would release it digitally similar to how steam releases their games.

ZealousD

mcrae said:
overall: it sounds as if you're trying to be quiet so as to not wake up someone in the room with you

Well, they weren't in the same room...... but yeah... :lol

Lafiel said:
That's actually really disappointing to hear. I actually assumed they would release it digitally similar to how steam releases their games.
They said the same thing with Wrath release. Yet there was an official (yet unlinked and not advertised) source for those who bought online to get the client.

This is obviously far from a sure thing, but it may happen again.

Top Bottom