• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm cross-posting that in the AusGAF thread, Zealous. Cheers.

Yaweee

The lack of SC2 beta got a friend and me to try some WC3 2v2.

Oh god, I'm so horrible. I played it a few months ago but seemingly forgot EVERYTHING there is to know about it.

One of our opponents started trash talking after winning the game (my partner quit), so I just minimized the game rather than quitting. Yeah, it's a douchey move, but holy fuck nothing gets to me worse than completely uncalled for trash talking. WC3 is by far the worst mannered community I've ever encountered on the internet.

mcrae

lol at some of the comments on the facebook fan page. one of the most recent replies, in response to blizzard's announcing the community-driven site unlocked the first milestone:

"release the game or i will die within the next week"

and yeah,i am fucking horrible at WC3. fuck that game.

Zertez

Is the data transferred between MP SC2 games very high or is it more a matter of milliseconds of lag mattering? I remember raiding with guild mates in EQ from all over Europe, Russia and Australia/New Zealand. My guild was almost entirely Euro players on a US server and they very rarely lagged. That was over almost a decade ago. Is SC2 MP that more demanding? or is the lag of a couple milliseconds here and there that crippling to the game?

Kind of confused why MP games with people outside your region is a no go, outside the reason some think money. Players in the HDH seemed ok most the time as well. I can understand why they wouldnt automatically match you up against a pool in Europe/Asia/Aus, but I dont see why they wont allow it if a players wants to play on those servers.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Zertez said:
Is the data transferred between MP SC2 games very high or is it more a matter of milliseconds of lag mattering? I remember raiding with guild mates in EQ from all over Europe, Russia and Australia/New Zealand. My guild was almost entirely Euro players on a US server and they very rarely lagged. That was over almost a decade ago. Is SC2 MP that more demanding? or is the lag of a couple milliseconds here and there that crippling to the game?

Kind of confused why MP games with people outside your region is a no go, outside the reason some think money. Players in the HDH seemed ok most the time as well. I can understand why they wouldnt automatically match you up against a pool in Europe/Asia/Aus, but I dont see why they wont allow it if a players wants to play on those servers.

The biggest reason behind region locking the multiplayer isn't the latency. Different countries and different regions are going to have different pricing models, and they want to insure that those pricing models stay within those countries. Otherwise, lots of people would game the system and choose the cheapest model for their needs.

mcrae said:
ah right, i totally forgot you've been working on the official thread. hope its still coming along good!

Yeah, been working on it on and off for a couple months. Still not quite done. If I was a game developer, I'd said that I've almost hit Alpha. It's already longer and better looking than my Darksiders OT.

Yaweee said:

Oh god, I'm so horrible. I played it a few months ago but seemingly forgot EVERYTHING there is to know about it.

One of our opponents started trash talking after winning the game (my partner quit), so I just minimized the game rather than quitting. Yeah, it's a douchey move, but holy fuck nothing gets to me worse than completely uncalled for trash talking. WC3 is by far the worst mannered community I've ever encountered on the internet.
Oh yes. DotA is even worse. My god have I been angry because of this stupid game. (wait, more like because of the stupid players who play it, the game is great) I hope SC2 doesn't become like this, at least in the beta most players were pretty cool.

edit: @ fanboi's post: Nice. Blizzard still seems to care about the fans (at least they pretend to for the time being). We'll see if it actually will be implemented.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
fanboi said:
These have been the same answers they have been giving out, just not directly.

They've said they were looking into cross region and chat channels.

The only difference is that they mentioned there will be PRIVATE channels as well as group interest channels.

And they still won't be in time for launch,

fatty

What software programs do you guys recommend using for a basic headset with mic (I have a Logitech one from a couple of years ago I still haven't used)? During the Beta my friends and I were using Xbox Live but I'd like to find a non-intrusive PC one that is easy to use and very minimalistic in design.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
making an account for the forums so i can post a trace route (from aus) is the most batshit insane thing ever.

I don't even have one of those games installed :lol

Tacitus_

fatty said:
What software programs do you guys recommend using for a basic headset with mic (I have a Logitech one from a couple of years ago I still haven't used)? During the Beta my friends and I were using Xbox Live but I'd like to find a non-intrusive PC one that is easy to use and very minimalistic in design.

Skype, Teamspeak, Ventrilo

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
fatty said:
:lol what

Skype, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, Steam (quality not so great), Battle.net (quality not so great)

valeo

Yaweee said:

I'm playing Dawn of War 2 :( It's not the same

fatty said:

Mumble is the best

pedr0theli0n

Neo Member
it makes me sad not see this thread on the first page all the time...
Could anyone point me to a way of playing the beta offline during this downtime, preferably against some AI? Also preferably on Mac, but I do have a windows partition.

JoeMartin

I really can't even fathom why it isn't in to begin with. Well actually I can but that brings the only two possible answers to content control and money grubbing, neither of which I'm willing to accept for Blizzard yet.

But still, for a sequel to a game that thrived on an international competitive community this really is a massive step in the wrong direction.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Anyone called dibs on the official sc2 thread? If not i dont mind taking a stab at getting something together to put up around phase 2

Ashhong

fatty said:

Wait, you guys would turn on your xbox and use voice chat when playing SC2? Wouldn't a phone be easier? Ventrilo is very minimalistic and low on resources...
:lol

ZealousD

Mr Cola said:
Anyone called dibs on the official sc2 thread? If not i dont mind taking a stab at getting something together to put up around phase 2

I've already got it covered.

Either way, an OT can't go up until a week before release. So July 20th it'll go up.

joelseph

fatty said:

Ventrillo.

It should be the first program installed on a new image.

The second thing you should do is normalize it.

Steps to normalizing Vent:

- Go to Setup

- Enable Direct Sound

- Select the SFX Button

- Select Compressor and click Add.

- Under Compressor Properties use the following settings

- Gain = Adjust for how loud you want people to be. (I use 15)

- Attack = 0.01

- Release = Around 500

- Threshold = Around -30

- Ratio = 100

- Pre delay = 4.0

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Im currently working with the ai programmes during the beta break, trying to improve under various scenarios. What i could use is someone to sort of point out the common errors in my play, but sans a replay feature thats obviously a hard thing to do. To counter this ive got a user stream which is pretty decent quality, so i may aswell ask here if theres anyone who both loves watching sc2 (of all levels :D) and loves to teach or sort of mentor, if such a person exists here get in contact with me and id love to work something out. Ive got a vent and the stream is pretty good, and im sort of high silver low gold as Terran (though im using the break to get used to Z and P). Im not new, i know builds, counters and all that jazz but i often get flustered and do the criminal thing of building up minerals and making rather elementary mistakes.

Anyway if that interests anyone feel free to pm me or post here

Mr Cola

ZealousD said:
I've already got it covered.

Either way, an OT can't go up until a week before release. So July 20th it'll go up.
No worries dude good luck, need any help give me a holler and ill do me best!

Mr Cola

Someone on tl quoted a blue member saying first week of july i believe

FoxSpirit

Phloxy said:
Anyway to use the beta an play against a.i still? Haven't tried it in a long time.

Yeah, with the Starcraft ALLin1 launcher and the GreenTea AI. Beware though, it's freakin ruthless. Great for training.

ZealousD

FoxSpirit said:
Yeah, with the Starcraft ALLin1 launcher and the GreenTea AI. Beware though, it's freakin ruthless. Great for training.

I'm pretty sure that the GreenTea AI cheats. I did a 3 racks Marauder+Ghost timing push, was pushed back by a superior ground force WITH cannons, then had both Void Rays AND Collosi on my ass as a counter-attack. Fucking ridiculous. You can't have a Protoss ground force strong enough to repel a Mara+Ghost push and yet tech that high and with that much breadth. Not without a resource boost.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
There's an AI manager that tells you what bonuses the AI has but I can't remember what it was called.

Anyway, there are a ton of resources for offline play and AI right now.

Hazaro said:
Anyway, there are a ton of resources for offline play and AI right now.

Problem is though playing against the insane custom AI's is good practice it lacks the satisfaction of beating someone online. Practicing the game will do no good since there is bound to be a massive list of changes when the beta goes back online.

if only it had LAN :lol

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
ChronicleX said:
Problem is though playing against the insane custom AI's is good practice it lacks the satisfaction of beating someone online. Practicing the game will do no good since there is bound to be a massive list of changes when the beta goes back online.

if only it had LAN :lol
Hackers are so slow!
Where are my private servers, etc.

I was on iccup recently re-reading their FAQ and they have a direct download to Starcraft on their website :lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
omg, I could be versing decent AI right now?

to google!

FoxSpirit

ZealousD said:
I'm pretty sure that the GreenTea AI cheats. I did a 3 racks Marauder+Ghost timing push, was pushed back by a superior ground force WITH cannons, then had both Void Rays AND Collosi on my ass as a counter-attack. Fucking ridiculous. You can't have a Protoss ground force strong enough to repel a Mara+Ghost push and yet tech that high and with that much breadth. Not without a resource boost.

Are you sure you didn't include the GreenTea Racer AI? Because this one money cheats over time (normal opening but then resource boost).

FoxSpirit

So, no new posts. Is anyone still playing or am I the only one on GAF who's still active? :D

Btw, new AI revision, DarkGreenTea 0.48c, it's very awesome. About 15 solid strategies with every race and plays well against Zerg (and not so good as Zerg). Good for me :)

Blizzard

Banned
FoxSpirit said:
So, no new posts. Is anyone still playing or am I the only one on GAF who's still active? :D

Btw, new AI revision, DarkGreenTea 0.48c, it's very awesome. About 15 solid strategies with every race and plays well against Zerg (and not so good as Zerg). Good for me :)
Um, we can't play because the beta isn't active right now, right? :lol

mcrae

FoxSpirit said:

i played AIs before i got a key, but now that i've tasted the real thing im just going to wait till the beta restarts, or the game releases.

Top Bottom