• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Miroku

NIN90 said:
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORM

what an annoying piece of shit husky is

What I love is that he freaks out the most when the storms don't actually kill anything.

There aren't any real weaknesses to Mech besides the mobility. However, you can easily cover that weakness through use of Sensor Towers. Sensor towers are amazing because you can tell exactly where and when the enemy is coming at you so you can be in position to defend. If you also put missile turrets up, you can be relatively safe from mineral harassment. From there on, it's just a slow push towards the opponent.

You can mass expand, but it doesn't always work if the map allows the Terran to do the same.

I really don't like Husky's "STOOORMSSSS" yelling. I thought his latest dual cast with HD was good, though as he mostly toned it down. I'm not going to tell the guy to change his style, but I'll probably stick to mostly watching his dual casts unless he stops the yelling.

Zzoram

I'm not a fan of storm. I find a Colossus is a better use of the money, since it keeps attacking and doesn't have to wait a minute to recharge.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Zzoram said:
I'm not a fan of storm. I find a Colossus is a better use of the money, since it keeps attacking and doesn't have to wait a minute to recharge.
Against an army composition like Dali's in that video it would be incredibly easy for the Terran to just pump out a few Thor or make use of their vikings to make quick work of any Colossus.

zoukka

PhoenixDark said:
Husky isn't the greatest player but he understands the game, and always has insightful commentary.

Oh come on. It feels like he talks about the same shit every time, guesses the strategys all wrong and just can't keep up with Crota or anyone actually good. His insightful commentary boils down to you can run your lings from this HUUUUUUUUGE gap and SOOOO MANYYYYYY STOOOOOOOOORMSSSSSSS!!1

I know you don't have to be a pro to comment well, but Husky lacks on the entertainment value and doesn't have the expertise to balance things.

V_Arnold

Well, to be honest.... Day 9's commentary >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Everyone else.

But it did not help Husky that he tried to hype the moment of EVERY Psy Storm by shouting too loud. It was bothersome first, horrible later.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Felix Lighter said:
Is there a good source for custom maps. I'm just looking for balanced maps for 1v1 matches.
If there's a second thing Koreans know how to do it's how to make good maps.
Luckily for us we can just steal them now. :lol
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=122171

*Although now that High Ground advantage is gone who knows exactly how balanced they'd be. Should be better than Blizzard maps though.

Personal likes:
Destination
BlueStorm

NIN90 said:
what an annoying piece of shit husky is

I was waiting for someone to say this. I could deal with the video someone posted that was hdstarcraft, but i muted husky within a minute or so. Damned annoying.

Day 9 is such a breath air compared to both of them, though. goddamn.

RedSwirl said:
So we know the final system requirements and I'm trying to get a new laptop soon. This won't be a gaming laptop - primarily work, but I still want it to run a couple games like this and Team Fortress comfortably.

People suggested a while ago that I should get something with either a GTX 260M or a Mobility Radeon 5870. How do you guys think those will do for StarCraft II?

the 260m and recent radeons are very good, but I would advise before getting a laptop to figure out exactly what you wanna do with it. If you just want teh massive gamez and will always be plugged into an outlet, then go for the most power you can get out of your dollar. Get a 260m or higher and bask in it's mobile graphics abilities.

I can't suggest a macbook enough though, please everyone don't destroy me for such sacrilege, but I just can't get over how much I like the effing power plug. Justifies the whole rest of the ridiculously overpriced laptop for me. magnetic power plug for the effing win. I don't think a lot of people realize just how abysmally terrible other power plugs are,...I do and it makes a huge difference for me.

Someone pipe in if they know how good the cards in the 15" are, I'd especially like to know as I'm interested in a matte 15" if the graphics card is up to snuff (bootcamp no less).

Aside from a gaming powerhouse, you may be interested in something in-between. a Good "older" laptop with an i7 and a 230m like I have from HP can come relatively cheap in the fast evolving laptop market. The m11x can also hold its own, although I would advise getting one with the i7 with a 2.66ghz turboboost for starcraft because the core 2 duo m11x is bottlenecked by the cpu.

Above all, You have to be VERY dedicated to computer gaming for a gaming laptop to be really justified. I thought I was for a little while, and ended up making a mistake because I stopped playing computer games as much as I had expected, so I ended up getting an m11x which was a good tradeoff between the two types of laptop.

pedr0theli0n

Neo Member
Ice Monkey said:
I was waiting for someone to say this. I could deal with the video someone posted that was hdstarcraft, but i muted husky within a minute or so. Damned annoying.

Day 9 is such a breath air compared to both of them, though. goddamn.

The 'STOOOORRRRM' thing was maybe a bit much, but i think he does it more of as a throwback to korean casters (who go craaaazy for that kinda thing). And I for one can not STAND day 9. His voice has to be the epitome of dorkdom, and also... really not that great of a player from what I've seen, at least not anymore/in SC2.

Ice Monkey said:
Above all, You have to be VERY dedicated to computer gaming for a gaming laptop to be really justified. I thought I was for a little while, and ended up making a mistake because I stopped playing computer games as much as I had expected, so I ended up getting an m11x which was a good tradeoff between the two types of laptop.

two types of laptop? I think an m11x is considered a gaming laptop no?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
pedr0theli0n said:
really not that great of a player from what I've seen, at least not anymore/in SC2.

What exactly is your criteria for commentating? Day9 may not be A-tier pro level like a WhiteRa or TLO but he's still a really great player. As long as he understands the game really well (and he does) than he makes for a great commentator.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I guess I'm late to this, but i saw that the Beta was closing tomorrow. 1 week to go until i can play again. :,( Can't wait to see the human campaign and its awesome cutscenes at last.

scoobs

crota: "a SINGLE marine gonna go ahead and do a little bit of an engagement with this SINGLE overlord." Awful commentary.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Kinyou said:
Has this been posted here yet?

DalaiLamer vs. WhiteRa http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLW5ius_lI4

My head is still literally spinning from the awesome that game was. :lol
Very sad late game management from the Terran. Ok game.
pedr0theli0n said:
The 'STOOOORRRRM' thing was maybe a bit much, but i think he does it more of as a throwback to korean casters (who go craaaazy for that kinda thing). And I for one can not STAND day 9. His voice has to be the epitome of dorkdom, and also... really not that great of a player from what I've seen, at least not anymore/in SC2.
Day9 and Tasteless were both very good players at their prime in SC. Now however they don't have the same ability to practice as they did before, because of work and college.
What he truly understands are the core mechanics of the game, and that is the most important thing.
Zzoram said:
But templar can get all their damage out right away and you don't have to be as proective of them. Also the ability to reinforce immediately (and in any number you want) is another factor that makes players use them. I also slightly favor the collosus, but HT are a fine unit as well.

Hazaro said:
But templar can get all their damage out right away and you don't have to be as proective of them. Also the ability to reinforce immediately (and in any number you want) is another factor that makes players use them. I also slightly favor the collosus, but HT are a fine unit as well.

Another ability players tend to overlook is Feedback. It can one hit kill a Banshee when it's energy is fully charged. I tend to go for the Colossus more often than not, but High Templars are certainly a devastating unit when used properly.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
MisterAnderson said:
Another ability players tend to overlook is Feedback. It can one hit kill a Banshee when it's energy is fully charged. I tend to go for the Colossus more often than not, but High Templars are certainly a devastating unit when used properly.
Feedback also useful for stopping drops but yes it is an insanely useful ability. Don't even have to research it.
Plus it looks AWESOME

Nocebo

SuperAndroid17 said:
Crota and day 9 are horrible at casting :lol

I usually fall asleep listening to them.
Day 9 is a great caster. Me and a friend thoroughly enjoyed listening to a few of his commentaries yesterday and we don't even play SC2 or SC1. When I put on a match commentated on by a different caster the difference in enjoyability was astronomical :lol

chrono boost your probes! Christ being new to starcraft and watching these youtube vids is like listening to a foreign language. No exaggeration, every third or fourth word is a smh moment. Being a noob in this is going to suck on so many levels I can't even really imagine it.

zero margin said:
two types of laptop? I think an m11x is considered a gaming laptop no?

an m11x has a decent graphics card but it has a concentration on portability, battery life and being inexpensive so it's very far from what I would consider a gaming laptop.

It may change in the future but as of now, starcraft cam chug on the ulv core 2 duos in the base model, but it does play sc2 better than run of the mill thinkpads IMHO.

zoukka said:
He has bad voice. And he isn't too competent of a player. So not a good caster at all.

GTFO. Husky is a total throwback to the Korean casters who go completely ballistic in great moments. His insight into the game is fine and hes certainly one of the most entertaining casters to listen to.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The Official Thread will be up tomorrow whenever the beta closes.

Also I still need a volunteer to do the EU/AU online meetup thread. I really don't want to have to do it myself since I'll already have enough responsibilities with the OT and the NA online meetup thread. =/

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
4 part video of Artosis with UpMagiC, a very good and accomplished Terran player.
You might have heard his name before because he was part of the Starcraft betting scandel.
Right now after 4 days of play he is in the Diamond league on the Asia server.

The first interview with someone involved with the betting scandal. An absolute must-see. UpMagiC talks about whats happened, his future plans, and even plays IdrA a few times in SC2 for our enjoyment.

Bonus stuff: UpMagiC vs IdrA - Match from UpMagiC's point of view

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=137134

Zertez

Wow people hating on Husky and Day[9]. They are the best US SC2 commenters going now imo, outside of DJ Wheat. Day[9] is best when he is paired with someone that helps fill the time gaps, like Chill or DJ Wheat. HD is another story, he has improved a lot, but he clueless most of the time on strategies. Even with common builds, he is lost.

It was almost painful to watch Dimagga in the King of the Hill Beta tournament tonight. IntotheRainbow destroyed him. I dont think Ive ever seen Dimagga look that helpless. Idra is matched up against Tester, so I dont think Zerg will make it out of round 1. TLO did not disappoint and looks like he has improved a lot focusing with Terran. His harass build was sick and Huk got squashed any time he looked like he showed a sign of life. I couldnt stop laughing at the mass BC late game. If tonight was any indication, Terrans are going to do very well in this tournament. Link to KotH tournament, good stuff.

http://day9tv.blip.tv/posts?view=archive&nsfw=dc

MisterAnderson said:

Mind blown. This is probably really rare, but still good to know nonetheless.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
watervengeance said:
Mind blown. This is probably really rare, but still good to know nonetheless.
160hp / 200 energy so it doesn't even need to be at full. Plus if you hit it and it doesn't die it won't be able to cloak for 25 seconds (and when it does it will have 0 energy)
150hp for the medivac

vesp

anyone played with the editor enough yet to tell me if it is capable of creating a front end for your mod similar to what League of Legends has as a launcher? Have any idea for something I want to do but require a persistent customization ability for each player.

zoukka

Crota is awesome. His casts are for people interested in the matches as players themself. If you only watch those casts because you want to be entertained, then I can understand if you don't like him.

Excape

And Husky may be a throwback to Korea or whatever, but his voice and persona don't hold that shit off. It's like five seconds to the cast and my GF shoved headphones to my head, the first time she heard it :lol

zoukka

I've had a lot of success with fast expand. I mean really fast expand by putting hatch down 14/15 pool and a pool at 15/16. The last game was really close when my opponent tried to roach me and when that failed he sent mutas my way. I only had three queens against 5 mutas but I made it and immediately spored myself, knowing I'm ahead in expansions.

The game ended hilariously when I had 30 hydras and 3 infestors against 40-ish mutas and a ton of banelings. With fungal growth I lost about 10 hydras :lol

Top Bottom