• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

F#A#Oo said:
I can think of 2 Zerg players who recently followed everything you said and still lost e.g. Dimaga and Sheth...they out expo'd their opponents AND they attacked like a swarm...and though it might look like they have the edge throughout and are in comfortable controlling positions...quality units have shown themselves to be better then mass numbers in the end and what looks like a comfortable win turns into a depressingly awkward and sometimes embarrassing loss...even IdrA has lost plenty of matches in this manner most notably to WhiteRa...

Believe me, I know exactly what you speak of. It especially becomes tricky against mech. However, I've won matches by just "playing like prototypical zerg".

And I know this almost goes without saying, but Zerg benefit from upgrades almost more than other races. A ball of fully upgraded zerglings that happen to break through a defense point becomes a true plague of locusts just chewing through bases in seconds.

I understand all other Zerg players' frustrations, but I think once you know the ins and outs of the race it becomes a true force. Zerg just spread so fast on the map and if you play well you can control map like no other. Even going as far as burrowing banes at expansion points to manually detonate if somebody tries to expand there!

Nardonicus said:
speaking of zerg...

here is some Idra rage...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyUdeIh9ic8 :lol

I tried playing zerg again when phase 2 started back up but I just can't get the hang of them. I was hoping to make them my main, but I just have a lot more success with Terran.

Maybe I will give them another go, they are just so fun and I like the idea of them...probably just requires a lot more practice.

Poor Idra. :lol

Nardonicus said:
speaking of zerg...

I tried playing zerg again when phase 2 started back up but I just can't get the hang of them. I was hoping to make them my main, but I just have a lot more success with Terran.

Maybe I will give them another go, they are just so fun and I like the idea of them...probably just requires a lot more practice.

God, I hate this guy. Seriously, he should not be allowed into invitationals until he knows how to behave like an adult. Calling people fags should seriously hit the "zero tolerance" button immediately.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
JasoNsider said:
Believe me, I know exactly what you speak of. It especially becomes tricky against mech. However, I've won matches by just "playing like prototypical zerg".

And I know this almost goes without saying, but Zerg benefit from upgrades almost more than other races. A ball of fully upgraded zerglings that happen to break through a defense point becomes a true plague of locusts just chewing through bases in seconds.

I understand all other Zerg players' frustrations, but I think once you know the ins and outs of the race it becomes a true force. Zerg just spread so fast on the map and if you play well you can control map like no other. Even going as far as burrowing banes at expansion points to manually detonate if somebody tries to expand there!
My biggest issue with Zerg right now is that even if their map expansion is good Terran can still outdo them in that area. Command Centers can be built up safely in the base and lifted off to places Zerg can't go until much later in the game. Who would ever waste a Baneling ball to destroy a Command Center at an expansion in your example? You're throwing away precious gas/minerals/eggs while your opponent continues to outtech you. A ball of fully updgraded zerglings is probably one of the most useless things in the game. They have no ability to break through walls and get destroyed by any opponent who has actually spent resources on units that require gas.

Furthermore relying on base expansion to outdo your opponent isn't always viable. Other races are just as capable of controlling the map, especially Protoss with the ability to warp in units wherever they place down a pylon, or even Terran through a proxy barrack and planted tanks. There's nothing about the Zerg that lends them to map control better than other races, they just have to go for it more, so it's more common to see them try for it. A lot of games don't even necessarily last long enough for a Zerg player to make use of outmacroing their opponent.

I really love the Zerg, but they are just so easy for other players to cheese against, or use predetermined builds with no thought as to what the Zerg player is up to.

LowParry

Nardonicus said:
speaking of zerg...

Wow...what a....

any one want to play with me? Tyranus is the name i think i am noob i got the invite this morning, way to go blizzard give me beta with only one weekend to play.

scoobs

I've been watching PsyStarcraft's channel on youtube and i think he's onto something with burrowed roach against mech. Its extremely strong mid-game so if you can be aggressive enough to not let the terran player get dug-in with turrets and spread out siege tanks... its relatively easy to break them. I just had a hilarious game where i burrowed underneath about 6 siege tanks and 2 thors and massacred it all within 5 seconds w/ about 30 roaches.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Nardonicus said:
speaking of zerg...

lol idra is so funny to watch. He seems so easy to beat if you do some sort of all in early push.

scoobs

Corran Horn said:
lol idra is so funny to watch. He seems so easy to beat if you do some sort of all in early push.
its because he is a macro player and is SUPER stubborn about getting down his expansion. In that first video he refused to cancel his hatchery.. dude is stubborn lol.

Kinyou

Nardonicus said:
speaking of zerg...

I love it when players want to "forbid" certain builds. If it's in the game, it's allowed. Even if it's actually unfair, the only way to get it patched is to use it.

btw. I have to say even though Idra made some rather bad decisions (but who am I to judge?), the Zerg really looked a bit too weak in the first game...

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
scoobs said:
its because he is a macro player and is SUPER stubborn about getting down his expansion. In that first video he refused to cancel his hatchery.. dude is stubborn lol.
Yep. I dont know why people just rush him in every tourny.

I just have a hard time seeing that if people do a cheesy move its in bad taste but then I watch some Kespa tourny and see Flash do a cheesy move and its cool :lol

Dance In My Blood said:
My biggest issue with Zerg right now is that even if their map expansion is good Terran can still outdo them in that area. Command Centers can be built up safely in the base and lifted off to places Zerg can't go until much later in the game. Who would ever waste a Baneling ball to destroy a Command Center at an expansion in your example? You're throwing away precious gas/minerals/eggs while your opponent continues to outtech you. A ball of fully updgraded zerglings is probably one of the most useless things in the game. They have no ability to break through walls and get destroyed by any opponent who has actually spent resources on units that require gas.

Furthermore relying on base expansion to outdo your opponent isn't always viable. Other races are just as capable of controlling the map, especially Protoss with the ability to warp in units wherever they place down a pylon, or even Terran through a proxy barrack and planted tanks. There's nothing about the Zerg that lends them to map control better than other races, they just have to go for it more, so it's more common to see them try for it. A lot of games don't even necessarily last long enough for a Zerg player to make use of outmacroing their opponent.

I really love the Zerg, but they are just so easy for other players to cheese against, or use predetermined builds with no thought as to what the Zerg player is up to.

Well, I have to disagree on a couple of the points, but we both know this is situational in a lot of cases. For instance, where you say that fully upgraded Zerglings are useless, I say it can be one of the more effective units if used properly (ie don't run them at a wall).

In general I find Zerg lend themselves best to expanding simply because they literally creep towards their opponent 300 minerals and 6 larvae at a time. While this is sort of akin to warpgates, it's a little more beneficial I find as you can queen-up and then all of a sudden you have more larvae than you know what to do with. Essentially it just feels like the Zerg "multiply" in a way, due to the hatching style of build. Even if this is only a half-truth (again, warp gates are KIND of similar) it definitely lends itself well to the idea of the race being insects that spew a "Creep" and slowly, insidiously envelope the enemy into their hold.

Obviously everybody's mileage may vary, but I've found this to be pretty much spot on for the most part. Especially when you get fast zerglings and fast overlord transport (effectively giving you an awesome way to move around the map with units you were already building).

And, finally, absolutely nothing tops the Brood Lord. The moment I can contain a terran into fearing the Zerg pressure, I start brooding up. At that point there is little chance for their survival, as they are turtling, I own the map, and my broods will slowly start chewing away at their defenses.

This is a whole lot of words to essentially say yeah, there are some oddities, but nothing unsurmountable once you get comfy.

zoukka

Idra doesn't use lings. He's a great player, but stubborn like some of you said. Loves his roaches.

I've seen him going more traditional in some videos and he rapes. Also if you don't end the game soon with Idra, you're doomed.

He's a ragey nerd in the end though.

scoobs

Kinyou said:
I love it when players want to "forbid" certain builds. If it's in the game, it's allowed. Even if it's actually unfair, the only way to get it patched is to use it.

btw. I have to say even though Idra made some rather bad decisions (but who am I to judge?), the Zerg really looked a bit too weak in the first game...
rushing w/ non-upgraded roaches is completely countered by 1 tank. Its idras fault for pushing so early.

zoukka

scoobs said:
rushing w/ non-upgraded roaches is completely countered by 1 tank. Its idras fault for pushing so early.

Not really. You should always use the units you have. And that tank was almost cheesecake early.

Idra failed in retreating though.

Dresden said:
Is massing mutalisks and corrupters a viable tactic?

Massing anything is a bad tactic if you don't do it for a reason. Muta's aren't that strong in direct confrontations.

Kinyou said:

You got it man:

41hhfd11orl-_ss500_.jpg

Read it, love it. It's an eye-opening read, even for those who already understand what it means on the surface.

If it's in the game, it's fair. Even glitches are fair so long as everyone is playing the same version. The point is that a game is simply a set of rules and so long as everyone is playing by the same rule set then you have the power to do the same thing your opponent does.

Ever since reading Sirlin's stuff I've been all about the "play to win" mentality, even if I lose and mostly play for fun.

I've even identified some "scrub" like players in the game already. You beat them with a basic build and they call you "noob" or "that's broken" or "this sucks". It's not voodoo. It's a style or strategy that any player can use. Furthermore the game will evolve over time so something that at one time seems inescapable will some day be old-hat and easy to counter.

Does anyone know if they made Diamond League a league that you can only climb up to? I've heard a lot of people telling me they've gone 5-0 in placement matches and have only hit Platinum. I just played my 5 placement matches, won them all, and was placed in Platinum. Has anyone gotten to Diamond through their first five placement matches? I'd like to know.

It's possible that it's because I played fairly low level players in my placement matches thus far (a few of them told me they were in Silver at the start of the match). In phase 1, 5-0 would pretty much land me in the 'old Platinum, new Diamond' league. Either way, I think I'd like Diamond to be "rank up only", but I was wondering if anyone knew anything on the matter.

FromTheFuture said:
Does anyone know if they made Diamond League a league that you can only climb up to? I've heard a lot of people telling me they've gone 5-0 in placement matches and have only hit Platinum. I just played my 5 placement matches, won them all, and was placed in Platinum. Has anyone gotten to Diamond through their first five placement matches? I'd like to know.

It's possible that it's because I played fairly low level players in my placement matches thus far (a few of them told me they were in Silver at the start of the match). In phase 1, 5-0 would pretty much land me in the 'old Platinum, new Diamond' league. Either way, I think I'd like Diamond to be "rank up only", but I was wondering if anyone knew anything on the matter.

I did in the first round of beta, yes. As for phase 2 I'm not sure :S

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Zerg takes a good amount of macro ability to play well, a great sense of timing, and excellent scouting. For these reasons I think it's a little harder to play, but no worse. I think HD said it pretty well in his "Countering the 4 Gate" video he made for zerg players in that zerg, as a race, is primarily reactionary outside of the early game.

Sure you can do 1 hatch builds to push banelings or roaches out quickly, but once you get into the mid game you NEED to scout and counter to be successful. Those two early strats are easily countered, often you need to fake them to be effective. Against fast banshees you have to get either to lair for overseers or get some spore crawlers out.

If you see tanks and thors coming you have to be ready with burrow tech roaches, if you see bio you need to be ready with infestors or if you're feeling insane ultras. I don't have a good answer for hellion/marauder early outside of rushing air and trapping them or just out-playing them, if anyone has a solid answer I'm interested.

Against protoss you have to be even more careful scouting, as the counter to 4 gate, for example, would kill you against a void ray. In the case of a 4 gate you've gotta have solid spine crawlers and a roach/ling army. 3 Gate robo you have to look for either immortal or colossus, lings/hydras for the first, corruptors for the second. Against fast air you have to get either early queens or spore crawlers to rush to hydras. Stuffing void ray cheese might be my favorite thing in this game.

Zerg is weak without the right army comp, very hard to win without it. Combine that with having to balance drone and army production in the early and mid game and you get a very tricky race to play well.

EDIT: If Idra went for the rocks in that game and got some more roaches while knocking them down e might have been fine, they weren't being watched at all. His overlord at the front would've seen the terran army move out and he would've been able to flank the tank. Oh well, there are an endless list of tiny, game changing should have's for every game :lol

dimb

JasoNsider said:
Well, I have to disagree on a couple of the points, but we both know this is situational in a lot of cases. For instance, where you say that fully upgraded Zerglings are useless, I say it can be one of the more effective units if used properly (ie don't run them at a wall).
The problem I run into with this is that I need to push a wall with Zerglings. Even if you hit 200/200 waiting for them to come out once they do their units taking up supply will be remarkably better. Every other race will have some kind of defense in place that Zerglings just won't be able to push through without some kind of unguarded back entrance. The best reliable push is just roaches to take the brunt of the damage backed by infestors or hydras. Outside of early defense and scouting the Zerglings find a way to become obsolete very quickly compared to the other races alternatives (Marines and Zealots).

JasoNsider said:
In general I find Zerg lend themselves best to expanding simply because they literally creep towards their opponent 300 minerals and 6 larvae at a time. While this is sort of akin to warpgates, it's a little more beneficial I find as you can queen-up and then all of a sudden you have more larvae than you know what to do with. Essentially it just feels like the Zerg "multiply" in a way, due to the hatching style of build. Even if this is only a half-truth (again, warp gates are KIND of similar) it definitely lends itself well to the idea of the race being insects that spew a "Creep" and slowly, insidiously envelope the enemy into their hold.
I don't want to sound like I don't like the Zerg, because I really do, but how often are you really going to move out past your fast expansion, if even that? Most games are going to conclude much faster than that, and creep is so slow now with the nerfs you'll have a fleet of Protoss carriers at your door before you get it very far out into the map.

In general I feel like if I'm not ending the game fast as Zerg it's over. You're talking a big game about Broodlords, which are a fun unit and everything, but Zerg air is kind of a joke. They rely on a completely separate, more expensive upgrade path and are rolled over by enemy units like the Void Ray and Viking. Going to Broodlords requires a Lair + Greater Spire + Corrupters, all of which are easily scouted, and by the time your enemy sees any of this they are able to easily adjust to the powerful anti-air units like the Thor or do something like Void Ray/Phoenix/Carrier, all of which are actually versatile and require little to not micro. Zerg's main air force, the Muta, isn't viable for anything other than early harassment.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Dance In My Blood said:
In general I feel like if I'm not ending the game fast as Zerg it's over. You're talking a big game about Broodlords, which are a fun unit and everything, but Zerg air is kind of a joke. They rely on a completely separate, more expensive upgrade path and are rolled over by enemy units like the Void Ray and Viking. Going to Broodlords requires a Lair + Greater Spire + Corrupters, all of which are easily scouted, and by the time your enemy sees any of this they are able to easily adjust to the powerful anti-air units like the Thor or do something like Void Ray/Phoenix/Carrier, all of which are actually versatile and require little to not micro. Zerg's main air force, the Muta, isn't viable for anything other than early harassment.
Every other air tech also relies on a different tree, and nothing can switch as fast as zerg. Late in the game it is possible to hide a greater spire and the initial corruptors, and if you time it right you don't have to hide them for long at all. As long as you keep your opponent engaged and paying attention to things other than scouting you can put them in, just make sure to have extra corruptors or hydras to cover. Brood Lords are generally under-utilized because SC2 games are fast in general, not just because of zerg.

dimb

Procarbine said:
Every other air tech also relies on a different tree, and nothing can switch as fast as zerg.
Protoss shield upgrade is universal.

JasoNsider said:
If it's in the game, it's fair. Even glitches are fair so long as everyone is playing the same version. The point is that a game is simply a set of rules and so long as everyone is playing by the same rule set then you have the power to do the same thing your opponent does.

Ever since reading Sirlin's stuff I've been all about the "play to win" mentality, even if I lose and mostly play for fun.

I've even identified some "scrub" like players in the game already. You beat them with a basic build and they call you "noob" or "that's broken" or "this sucks". It's not voodoo. It's a style or strategy that any player can use. Furthermore the game will evolve over time so something that at one time seems inescapable will some day be old-hat and easy to counter.
I disagree with the notion that if its in the game its fair, with that kind of logic, Blizzard would never bother to patch the game since no matter how imbalanced something is, its available both to players, so its fair right? WRONG.

Also you don't need to read some book to "play to win", its our innate nature to want to win.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
scoobs said:
I've been watching PsyStarcraft's channel on youtube and i think he's onto something with burrowed roach against mech. Its extremely strong mid-game so if you can be aggressive enough to not let the terran player get dug-in with turrets and spread out siege tanks... its relatively easy to break them. I just had a hilarious game where i burrowed underneath about 6 siege tanks and 2 thors and massacred it all within 5 seconds w/ about 30 roaches.
Terrans fault for not making Ravens / Sensor towers / Turrets over the map and taking map control. I can never see myself skipping on Ravens vs Z or P. Amazing unit. I disagree it being strong midgame if Terran has that many mech units. I'd say it's strong early game when the Terran doesn't have a fast raven or turrets up and the Z went for fast burrow.
zoukka said:
Idra doesn't use lings. He's a great player, but stubborn like some of you said. Loves his roaches.

I've seen him going more traditional in some videos and he rapes. Also if you don't end the game soon with Idra, you're doomed.

He's a ragey nerd in the end though.
Idra is great. He's really accomplished a lot and understand the game quite a bit.
I enjoy his BM and personality although he could probably use less of the word 'gay' (same goes for Artosis).
He only gets ragey since that game has 0 strategic value for him. At higher level play those sorts of tactics are usually not used so much and strong starts / and follow ups are preferred because its safer.
When you play 10+ hours a day like he does I can understand the frustration of getting games that are worth nothing. I believe he's playing to improve right now.

Also he doesn't like roaches. People have been saying that Idra is Roach/Hydra but he himself says no. We also might see him switch to Terran although he likes Zergs playstyle better. He just plain thinks Zerg needs a buff compared to Terran, many other Asia Zergs think so as well. The Roach nerf just hit too hard.

Here's a 30 minute interview (Artosis + IdrA) taking community questions.
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=134638
FromTheFuture said:
You must be promoted.

BishopLamont said:
I disagree with the notion that if its in the game its fair, with that kind of logic, Blizzard would never bother to patch the game since no matter how imbalanced something is, its available both to players, so its fair right? WRONG.

Also you don't need to read some book to "play to win", its our innate nature to want to win.

If it's in the game it's a fair tactic. Period. Once it's patched, that's just a new rule set. There are Street Fighter tournaments whereby people fight knowing the glitches in the game. The glitches become part of the fight in some way; part of the ruleset. Obviously there are exceptions, but that's the basis of the philosophy. In the end, that terran player should not be called an asshole just because he used a strat that's available in the game's ruleset. He just did everything in his power to win, given the tools within his grasp.

Also, again, the book addresses the very thing you brought up. As in, it seems obvious what "playing to win" means but it can be discussed pretty far. There's actually a fair bit of discussion to be had over the topic even though it seems so superficial at first glance.

How many patches are there for the beta? I'm not sure why I was accepted into it 2 days before it closes- nothing like spending 4 hours downloading patch after patch and then getting to play for one day.

Mudkips

Banned
I just crashed while loading into a game, had SC2 tell my my install was corrupt, then proceed to try to repair it only to give up, saying the data wasn't on their servers.
Then I launched it again and it patched me to 17 again, and won't let me log in.

BETA.

Hazaro said:
Terrans fault for not making Ravens / Sensor towers / Turrets over the map and taking map control. I can never see myself skipping on Ravens vs Z or P. Amazing unit. I disagree it being strong midgame if Terran has that many mech units. I'd say it's strong early game when the Terran doesn't have a fast raven or turrets up and the Z went for fast burrow.
Idra is great. He's really accomplished a lot and understand the game quite a bit.
I enjoy his BM and personality although he could probably use less of the word 'gay' (same goes for Artosis).
He only gets ragey since that game has 0 strategic value for him. At higher level play those sorts of tactics are usually not used so much and strong starts / and follow ups are preferred because its safer.
When you play 10+ hours a day like he does I can understand the frustration of getting games that are worth nothing. I believe he's playing to improve right now.

Also he doesn't like roaches. People have been saying that Idra is Roach/Hydra but he himself says no. We also might see him switch to Terran although he likes Zergs playstyle better. He just plain thinks Zerg needs a buff compared to Terran, many other Asia Zergs think so as well. The Roach nerf just hit too hard.

Here's a 30 minute interview (Artosis + IdrA) taking community questions.
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=134638

You must be promoted.

This. This. This.

Unless you're playing in a tournament for money, I see no point in doing this unless you're practicing this kind of play, but you should typically be doing it against a practice partner anyway. All it really accomplishes in the end is that you gain some epenis for beating a higher level player.

yanhero

JasoNsider said:
You got it man:

http://sobercannibal.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/41hhfd11orl-_ss500_.jpg

Read it, love it. It's an eye-opening read, even for those who already understand what it means on the surface.

That may be true, but that would make an exceedingly boring game if everyone just plays the same race with the same strat/unit. The strive for balance between the races/units will diversify viable strategies that can win and create a funner game. Its as simple as that. If you want a boring game, then sure, you shouldn't care about balance.

Deadly

Nardonicus said:
speaking of zerg...

"I'm honored...to receive Idra rage" :lol :lol :lol They had a rematch and Masq won again:lol

Ashhong

Nardonicus said:
speaking of zerg...

oh man :lol i dont understand how he can rage at that? how was masq's build cheap in any way?

JasoNsider said:
If it's in the game it's a fair tactic. Period. Once it's patched, that's just a new rule set. There are Street Fighter tournaments whereby people fight knowing the glitches in the game. The glitches become part of the fight in some way; part of the ruleset. Obviously there are exceptions, but that's the basis of the philosophy. In the end, that terran player should not be called an asshole just because he used a strat that's available in the game's ruleset. He just did everything in his power to win, given the tools within his grasp.

Also, again, the book addresses the very thing you brought up. As in, it seems obvious what "playing to win" means but it can be discussed pretty far. There's actually a fair bit of discussion to be had over the topic even though it seems so superficial at first glance.
Just because people use glitches, doesn't mean its right or fair. Its not in the developers intentions to have glitches. The reason SF players make use of glitches is because Capcom doesn't give a crap about fixing them, the only time they do is when they release a new version of a game, eg. 2nd strike, super street fighter 2 turbo, etc etc. Why did MW players get banned from Live for using glitches? It's not right or fair, to justify it by saying people use it is the same as justifying murder because people do it.

Jokey665

I can't take Sirlin seriously about anything ever since he said he wanted Starcraft to have a hard APM cap because it was too physically taxing to play on a competitive level.

Vaporak

BishopLamont said:
Just because people use glitches, doesn't mean its right or fair. Its not in the developers intentions to have glitches. The reason SF players make use of glitches is because Capcom doesn't give a crap about fixing them, the only time they do is when they release a new version of a game, eg. 2nd strike, super street fighter 2 turbo, etc etc. Why did MW players get banned from Live for using glitches? It's not right or fair, to justify it by saying people use it is the same as justifying murder because people do it.

"right" in some sort of moral sense has nothing to do with fair in the game sense, and you seem to be continuously confusing the two. If everyone has exactly the same access to glitches or "cheap" tactics then they are fair by definition because they don't give any advantage to either side. Blizzard doesn't do balance changes to make the game more fair, they do them to make the game more strategically interesting. That however has NOTHING to do with how you should play if you want the best chance of winning.

Top Bottom