• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Yaweee

Draft said:
There's nothing wrong with playing like that. Comp stomp, no rush, BGH, these are all important parts of the Starcraft phenomenom.

Wow. I agree with Draft completely.

Zaptruder said:
It's kind of amusing, but after watching the GOM SC league, that kind of play is really the equivalent of toddlers playing with blocks. It's just, hur hur, build em up, smash em down kind of play, and who wins is really kinda inconsequential.

That's OK though, because that's how some people will have fun with the game. It may be degenerate to a lot of people, but Blizzard has always had a streak of making games that could be enjoyed at a very large variety of skill levels.

It's one thing to make a game/editor toolset that accommodates that sort of play, versus making a game that encourages it or requires it.

Blizzard

Banned
Won said:
Actually, reading that interview, it looks like it doesn't track win - losses, meaning every pro could just choose the "playlist" to stomp some newbs. I hope you enjoy that! :p
Ooh, so what you're saying is that I need to go play on the PRO leagues, since all the pros will be busy playing in the newb leagues. :O Good point!

(I guess I thought they meant they changed the gameplay somewhat so you couldn't just zergrush like crazy, but maybe it's just a matchmaking type thing)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Zaptruder said:
It's kind of amusing, but after watching the GOM SC league, that kind of play is really the equivalent of toddlers playing with blocks. It's just, hur hur, build em up, smash em down kind of play, and who wins is really kinda inconsequential.

There's no finesse, no feint, no reading the opponent... it's very basic sort of play.

I really really hope that Blizzard is going to go out of their way to make observing high level play really easy, really smooth. Including the commentary stuff I suggested (i.e. allow people to comment on games and upload them to Blizzard servers as MP3s... the commentaries and games can then get rated by players).

The other point I realised after watching all that GOM stuff is that, commentaries really help provide a great deal of interesting context to what we're watching.
Kinda good, nowhere near the Korean commentators. A few videos on youtube are subtitles and amazing to just see what they are talking about.

Boxer starts the game with a 2 proxy Barracks...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nJLLMpfPKc

Here's FireBatHero playing (on screen) live for TV against random people on Bnet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJAxljlRe2s
So awesome.

Wollan

EU.battle.net icon get

sc2beta.gif

Hazaro said:
Kinda good, nowhere near the Korean commentators. A few videos on youtube are subtitles and amazing to just see what they are talking about.

Boxer starts the game with a 2 proxy Barracks...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nJLLMpfPKc

Here's FireBatHero playing (on screen) live for TV against random people on Bnet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJAxljlRe2s
So awesome.

wow you're right, their commentary is so much more informative.

i've been watching a lot of pro matches lately to try to improve my game, but the commentary here really teaches me a lot!

Zaptruder

Banned
Fragamemnon said:
That's OK though, because that's how some people will have fun with the game. It may be degenerate to a lot of people, but Blizzard has always had a streak of making games that could be enjoyed at a very large variety of skill levels.

It's one thing to make a game/editor toolset that accommodates that sort of play, versus making a game that encourages it or requires it.

Absolutely.

More to the point, Blizzard's philosophy from the various interviews with their designers that I've gathered is to create games that can draw in casuals and make them hardcore.

So the point I was trying to make; that they should make these analysis tools accessible and even fun to use kinda fits in with that philosophy.

From a spectator stand point, it's not that much fun watching that sort of basic play... but having only played as a beginner in SC, I can absolutely empathize with enjoying low level play. Hell, one of the things that I was thinking watching that is... so this is what it means to have a low APM; all those plays that I watched the koreans do would be literally impossible for me, even if I knew all the ins and outs of the strategies!

DarkKyo

This has probably been asked a bunch, but all you needed to do was create a beta profile for your pc and check off which franchises you were interested in for beta tests, right?

Belfast

Dechaios said:
This has probably been asked a bunch, but all you needed to do was create a beta profile for your pc and check off which franchises you were interested in for beta tests, right?

Yes, though that doesn't guarantee you'll actually make it into the beta, just that you're able to participate in it.

legend166 said:
No rush league seems right up my alley.
Me too. I LOVE Warcraft III and Starcraft but I can't play competitively. The only thing I'm actually good at is tower defense - specifically Element TD and Burbenog TD. Really looking forward for Starcraft II versions of those TDs.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
well i'm back from my hiatus.... and i see nothing has changed! where's my beta?! god damn it.

nothing huge, but some tidbits of information can be gleaned from SCLegacy's articles featuring some dude called HappyMint who was at WCIII finals in Cologne, Germany.

Impressions

Q & A

Beta release?
Despite my sincerest efforts I could not get a general date on when beta was supposed to come out. The reality is that it is supposed to be out this summer, but from what I could tell from them I personally expect a September beta. Keep in mind they didn’t say anything about September, that’s just my estimated guess from playing the game and my interactions with them. I believe they didn’t know the date themselves, they just knew it wasn’t yet. They’re dedicated to releasing a game that’s incredibly well polished and ready for the world - even for Beta.
:(

UI and Control
the player can select infinite units in the current build. If the player selects, say, 100 units and presses "A", then clicks on a base, all the units neatly march off in formation to attack. No more single file lines – ever. Moreover, each page of the selection can display 36 units. Beyond that your selection screen will create tabs along the left side in which you can actually tab through your units. When selecting multiple types of units, each type will get its own tab. Suppose five Siege Tanks and three Ravens are selected. The player can keep them all selected and micro them, while tabbing back and forth in between the pages and using abilities. You no longer have to deselect the Tanks to cast Raven abilities and vice versa. Same with Marines/Reapers/Ghosts/whatever. One selection can Stim your marines, EMP your enemy, and cloak your Ghosts – just simply tab through.
so happy to read about this. awesome improvement.

Emerging Strategies
If you get a Lair your Overlords can basically drop creep anywhere (you don't even have to research it). And Nydus Network only requires a Lair now. So one game a friend of mine found a corner of my base, dropped creep then a Nydus Worm, flew out, and about 25 Banelings wrecked my base from behind. It was funny, but also a good strategy.
:lol

looks like zerg are becoming a more mobile race. still confined to creep, but creep can be spread easier.

Scrow said:
well i'm back from my hiatus.... and i see nothing has changed! where's my beta?! god damn it.

nothing huge, but some tidbits of information can be gleaned from SCLegacy's articles featuring some dude called HappyMint who was at WCIII finals in Cologne, Germany.

Impressions

Q & A

Beta release?
:(

UI and Control
so happy to read about this. awesome improvement.

Emerging Strategies
:lol

looks like zerg are becoming a more mobile race. still confined to creep, but creep can be spread easier.

Thx for this, good read.

Johann

autobzooty said:
wow you're right, their commentary is so much more informative.

i've been watching a lot of pro matches lately to try to improve my game, but the commentary here really teaches me a lot!

I always loved that Boxer vs. Hiya match. Really shows how much a higher level of understanding Boxer has over even a great player like Hiya. I'm excited he's going to play again soon!

The Blizzard friends and family SCII beta is underway...

Makes me want to marry off a future daughter in a strategic alliance.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Scrow said:
Protoss has warp, Zerg has creep drop, Terran seems to be the one bound by mobility, but also seems the strongest according to early testers.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Hazaro said:
Protoss has warp, Zerg has creep drop, Terran seems to be the one bound by mobility, but also seems the strongest according to early testers.
terran have always been very mobile. they can build ANYWHERE. protoss are confined to pylons (granted pylons can be built anywhere too) and zerg are confined to creep.

edit: and what wollan said.

Minsc

Gold Member
Activision to delay Starcraft 2 (Q1 2010) - analyst

Following the statement from Activision that its forthcoming shooter Singularity will be delayed to 2010, Sterne Agee analyst Arvind Bhatia believes that the same fate is likely to befall Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty.

The Blizzard title, currently slated for an October 2009 release, saw the launch of its beta version delayed recently, leading Bhatia to believe that it "increasingly appear" the final game will also be delayed, reports the Wall Street Journal.

However, thanks to the presence of Modern Warfare 2 on the slate, analysts don't believe that any delays to Starcraft 2 will hurt Activision too much, and arguably it would instead offer a significant boost during a quieter Q1 2010.

Blizzard declined to comment on the story. The company is currently gearing up for its annual Blizzcon event, which will take place in Anaheim in August, while the company is currently developing World of Warcraft, Starcraft 2, Diablo 3 and another unnamed MMO title

Not too surprised. The only way Blizzard would comment on a release date is when the game was actually gold.

This is bullshit. 7 years to make a simple fucking rts, that everyone is gonna bitch about when it comes out.

Stop fucking giving wow so much attention.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
The Lamonster said:
Hey Blizzard! Learn how to make a fucking video game!

How long have they been working at this? 2003 or something?

YuriLowell said:
This is bullshit. 7 years to make a simple fucking rts, that everyone is gonna bitch about when it comes out.

Stop fucking giving wow so much attention.

Because we all know that analyst works for Blizzard, am i right?

Wait for confirmation.

robochimp

The only thing that would delay the games release is if work on the campaign bogged down. How important is the public Beta actually going to be? My guess not very

Minsc

Gold Member
Bisnic said:
Because we all know that analyst works for Blizzard, am i right?

Wait for confirmation.

Blizzard never confirmed a 2009 release to begin with :lol

Does releasing such a big game right around the release of Windows 7 even make sense? Isn't that just asking for headaches w/ unforeseen problems due to the new OS? They're probably better off giving the real Windows 7 a thorough testing w/ the game, I think.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Scrow said:
terran have always been very mobile. they can build ANYWHERE. protoss are confined to pylons (granted pylons can be built anywhere too) and zerg are confined to creep.

edit: and what wollan said.
Just saying the are more limited in terms of unit 'transportation' I guess would be better.

Both Zerg and Protoss have near instantaneous access to this.
Liar tech and Obelisk are damn low on the tech tree.

I'm not complaining, just pointing that out. I think it fits as Terran was always good as a turtling race.

suaveric

Morbid Angel said:
wat

They said "the beta would begin sometime this summer". Did I miss something?

All the signs pointed to them starting it by now. But they found a giant bug a couple weeks ago, right before all the guys from the press showed up to preview the beta. It was serious enough that they didn't want to show all of battle.net off and it seems to have pushed the beta back.

There's still six weeks left of summer though, so it could still start before the end.

Minsc said:
Blizzard never confirmed a 2009 release to begin with :lol

Does releasing such a big game right around the release of Windows 7 even make sense? Isn't that just asking for headaches w/ unforeseen problems due to the new OS? They're probably better off giving the real Windows 7 a thorough testing w/ the game, I think.
Don't give them any ideas!

Morbid Angel said:
wat

They said "the beta would begin sometime this summer". Did I miss something?
Based on press information gleaned from firsthand visits, it's pretty clear the beta was intended to have already started by now, and was pushed back.

Minsc

Gold Member
New screens for me, from the Design Philosophies article @ IGN.

starcraft-ii-terrans-wings-of-liberty-20090709073908860.jpg

starcraft-ii-terrans-wings-of-liberty-20090709073933328.jpg

starcraft-ii-terrans-wings-of-liberty-20090709073945812.jpg

starcraft-ii-terrans-wings-of-liberty-20090709073948827.jpg

starcraft-ii-terrans-wings-of-liberty-20090709073942906.jpg

starcraft-ii-terrans-wings-of-liberty-20090709073915954.jpg

Really liking the city drop at the end there, and the big ultralisk looking unit before that.

All in all, they've got a nice amount of varied terrain from what I've seen, quite a few not here (grass, lava, etc), and the two expansions will probably bring even more types of terrain. For some reason, I find that a good thing :lol

Dot50Cal

Banned
They should do something about the units not standing out. I can hardly tell them from the land in most of those pictures.

Zzoram

Dot50Cal said:
They should do something about the units not standing out. I can hardly tell them from the land in most of those pictures.

Starcraft Broodwar can be viewed clearly and easily on YouTube. My concern is that Starcraft II won't be watchable on YouTube.

Top Bottom