• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I'm hoping y'all can help here. I'm trying to set up a matchmaking 1 vs the AI so I can practice setting up hotkeys and all that other stuff in fatty's post, but it just pops up a blank error box. Tried it this morning, afternoon and a few minutes ago. Some sort of download is failing? I dunno. Is there another way to play against bots?

Ketch

I'm hoping y'all can help here. I'm trying to set up a matchmaking 1 vs the AI so I can practice setting up hotkeys and all that other stuff in fatty's post, but it just pops up a blank error box. Tried it this morning, afternoon and a few minutes ago. Some sort of download is failing? I dunno. Is there another way to play against bots?

You can do matchmaking against the AI, where it chooses difficulty based on previous performance. Or, you can create a custom match and just add an AI opponent of any race/difficulty.

It sounds like there's an issue with your game though, I think the launcher has a repair tool built in or something... maybe give that a look?

WanderingWind

You can do matchmaking against the AI, where it chooses difficulty based on previous performance. Or, you can create a custom match and just add an AI opponent of any race/difficulty.

It sounds like there's an issue with your game though, I think the launcher has a repair tool built in or something... maybe give that a look?

Found the repair tool - I didn't even think of that. Trying it now.

I actually won a game where I know I did not play my best at all. Ladder game I am Terran, he is zerg. I kept getting supply blocked and my timings were all off. He kept coming at me w/ zerglings, banesling and then mutas. Killed off my scvs at my natural at least twice. I was finally able to get a good army up and I was able to hit his base. Killed his mutas and was able to withstand his baneling attack. Then I killed his greater spire and he quit. Feels good man:)

And oh how glorious down here it is. Spend a tedious amount of time building a glorious Battlecruiser fleet, mourn as nearly all of them are snatched into a giant Muta fuckball of death within seconds by Vipers. Agony.

Muta are terrible vs Battlecruisers, like one BC requires about 15 Mutas to focus fire and it would take down about 3 or 4 if Yamato was used.... I think you meant Corruptors.

Anyways good to see everyone improving and practicing. I think I'll be out of Gold by the end of this Season after class is over with. :)

Also I think we should drop the GAF night replays to share the hilarity and good games.

mercviper

Finished my placements finally. Gold league after going 3-2 -_-

Still trying to perfect FilterSC's 2base roach in the early game and I keep messing up.

Here's a replay of the last win i had in placement where I totally don't build the roach warren because the drone gets stuck behind the queen. I notice it later and say hey why aren't you mining and send it back to the minerals. Come ~8:00 I realize I don't have the warren and build it and zerglings in panic.

http://drop.sc/316157

The last 2 matches I lost horribly because I didn't tech up past the initial roach macro. I streamed it so I have the videos of me complaining the whole match but mehhhh. I still need to go back and watch those replays to see where I messed up again.

Wunder

http://drop.sc/316265 - 27 min game on Akilon Wastes. Pretty shitty game by me, bad ghost timing made me fall behind a bit, but I thought I took each engagement (except the last one, obviously) as best as I could. Had 1 more base than him but he had so much more than me. I find it really hard to remax with protoss and I also feel each engagement to be insanely hard to come out on top. Even if I trade evenly/better than the protoss, I still can't really engage him because he warps in 20-30 full hp zealots against my weakened bio and I have to sit back and remax and engage perfectly again. ;_;

http://drop.sc/316265 - 27 min game on Akilon Wastes. Pretty shitty game by me, bad ghost timing made me fall behind a bit, but I thought I took each engagement (except the last one, obviously) as best as I could. Had 1 more base than him but he had so much more than me. I find it really hard to remax with protoss and I also feel each engagement to be insanely hard to come out on top. Even if I trade evenly/better than the protoss, I still can't really engage him because he warps in 20-30 full hp zealots against my weakened bio and I have to sit back and remax and engage perfectly again. ;_;

The ghost timing isn't what made you fall behind. At the start with no pressure from either side, just straight macro you fell behind by like 10+ workers. When you finally went over to his base to do some pressure your drop was completely ineffective. You waited to long before moving your units in and then you stimmed them straight towards his army. Then when he activated the planatary nexus you just stood in it and let your army get vaporised. The protoss let his macro completely slip at this point so the game went on otherwise it was over.

Your ghosts being late wasn't an issue at all. There was only 1 engagement in the whole game where he had storms and you had no ghosts and i don't think you lost a single engagement. By the time he yous actually had a battle you had like 10 ghosts (which you just through away). If he had landed his storms there you would have been decimated.

You were overly passive at multiple points. After that first big engagement you were up by like 50 supply. If you had of attacked you almost certainly would have killed or crippled him. Instead you sat back and let him just build up again.

So i guess my tips would be.
-Work on your early macro, i know it's cliche and applies to everyone but it's one of the things that made you fall behind
-When doing drops or harass focus on the mineral line. Also in general try more drops even if you think you can't. Protoss players hate it and it's the easiest way to get them to make mistakes
-Push your advantage. If you win a battle by a landslide don't just sit back. The whole when you're ahead just get more ahead is terrible advice in that situation (and in general). The best players know when to punish your opponent and that was the big thing you lacked.

Basically you need to take advantage of the strengths of your race. Terran have the most tools at their disposal to be aggressive and harass. If you don't like the late game engagements try more stuff in between to either win the game or get ahead.

I don't think you're doing as bad as you think either. I wish my terran was as good as yours :p.

Wunder

The ghost timing isn't what made you fall behind. At the start with no pressure from either side, just straight macro you fell behind by like 10+ workers. When you finally went over to his base to do some pressure your drop was completely ineffective. You waited to long before moving your units in and then you stimmed them straight towards his army. Then when he activated the planatary nexus you just stood in it and let your army get vaporised. The protoss let his macro completely slip at this point so the game went on otherwise it was over.

Your ghosts being late wasn't an issue at all. There was only 1 engagement in the whole game where he had storms and you had no ghosts and i don't think you lost a single engagement. By the time he yous actually had a battle you had like 10 ghosts (which you just through away). If he had landed his storms there you would have been decimated.

You were overly passive at multiple points. After that first big engagement you were up by like 50 supply. If you had of attacked you almost certainly would have killed or crippled him. Instead you sat back and let him just build up again.

So i guess my tips would be.
-Work on your early macro, i know it's cliche and applies to everyone but it's one of the things that made you fall behind
-When doing drops or harass focus on the mineral line. Also in general try more drops even if you think you can't. Protoss players hate it and it's the easiest way to get them to make mistakes
-Push your advantage. If you win a battle by a landslide don't just sit back. The whole when you're ahead just get more ahead is terrible advice in that situation (and in general). The best players know when to punish your opponent and that was the big thing you lacked.

Basically you need to take advantage of the strengths of your race. Terran have the most tools at their disposal to be aggressive and harass. If you don't like the late game engagements try more stuff in between to either win the game or get ahead.

I don't think you're doing as bad as you think either. I wish my terran was as good as yours :p.

Thanks for watching! I didn't realize I fell behind, I thought that my macro was decent but a few instances have made me rethink how much I get supply capped/make SCVs. I always get told I'm really passive, so I guess I need to really work on that.

Thanks for the tips and compliments! I'm always wary of drops in the late game but I suppose there's no real harm in doing them, I need more control groups though, I have 1/2/3 for army/viking/ghosts and no real room for medivacs since 4-7 is my production/cc.

Thanks for watching! I didn't realize I fell behind, I thought that my macro was decent but a few instances have made me rethink how much I get supply capped/make SCVs. I always get told I'm really passive, so I guess I need to really work on that.

Thanks for the tips and compliments! I'm always wary of drops in the late game but I suppose there's no real harm in doing them, I need more control groups though, I have 1/2/3 for army/viking/ghosts and no real room for medivacs since 4-7 is my production/cc.

I'm having that exact problem right now. My medivac control is woeful lol, i use the same groups as you.

Just remember in the late game you have a lot of money and income. A drop dieing for nothing isn't a huge deal and the one you make successful could be a game changer. It also keeps that big scary death ball sitting in his base :p. Oh if only i could actually do these things ;;.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
TvP is a good match up until toss decides to make air units.

Silver players are nothing if not resourceful. Had a guy go roach into swarm host into muta all off one base. He only made 3 of each, mind, but still impressive.

Sibylus

Banned
Muta are terrible vs Battlecruisers, like one BC requires about 15 Mutas to focus fire and it would take down about 3 or 4 if Yamato was used.... I think you meant Corruptors.

Anyways good to see everyone improving and practicing. I think I'll be out of Gold by the end of this Season after class is over with. :)

Also I think we should drop the GAF night replays to share the hilarity and good games.
Nope, I really mean Mutas. Yamato probably would have made things interesting, I was kinda taken aback and not thinking though, lol (and his focus fire seemed decent enough to blow each up stupidly-fast).

WanderingWind

Can anybody help with some very basic information? As in, how the hell do you win as zerg vs terran? Lol.

I'm barely getting my spire up and they're running in with two med ships, 2 battle cruisers and 2 of the air only ships. How am I supposed to defend against an air rush like that?

Can anybody help with some very basic information? As in, how the hell do you win as zerg vs terran? Lol.

I'm barely getting my spire up and they're running in with two med ships, 2 battle cruisers and 2 of the air only ships. How am I supposed to defend against an air rush like that?

I would watch the replay. I bet your macro slipped hard for him to be getting 2 battle cruisers before you even have lair tech. Also, if he is battle cruiser rushing you can probably just bust down the front and kill him.

StayDead

If that's happening it's your macro being bad. No way should he be able to get battlecruisers before you can get a spire. :p

Lucid07

7wbzEl3.jpg

Could someone tell me what that says?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Just finished Wings of Liberty, a bit LTTP. Should I jump right into this? Hmm. How's the difficulty compared to WoL? There were two missions I had to bump down from normal in the first campaign.

f0rk

Zerg's macro mechanics come a lot easier to me, I get confused when having to build more production buildings.

Just finished Wings of Liberty, a bit LTTP. Should I jump right into this? Hmm. How's the difficulty compared to WoL? There were two missions I had to bump down from normal in the first campaign.

HotS is easier you should be fine with Normal.

WanderingWind

Another stupid question. Are there any structures or whatever you can build to get the type of upgrades you see in single player? Like, the zergling/overlord insta-spawn?

Does anyone else get physically exhausted playing this game for a long time? Even my arm starts to hurt like I was just lifting weights. Man I'm so weak.

Top Bottom