• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

giri

I havent been able to play like in a week or so thanks to work. Wondering if everyones suffers a sever "skill" drop? even if you stop playing for a few days?

Its certainly one of the most unappealing aspects of SC2 for me.

not severe...

but i do find i need to play a few games against the PC to warm up and ease back into it before i ladder.

Ketch

Ketch, in silver/gold you absolutely don't need to go mutas in ZvZ, at this level muta control and multitasking is pretty bad and as long as you have a few spores up and maybe a few extra queens at your bases, to both attack the mutas and transfuse spores, Roach Hyrda is fine. In fact you can win plenty of games by just immediately counterattacking with your roaches and taking down their hatcheries whilst their mutas do essentially shit all at your base. Obviously at higher levels things start to change but essentially at this level macro is still more important above all.

I tried this but found that I couldn't survive the ling/bling long enough to get a big enough force to push out.

StayDead

Koreans are ok to watch, but they do the standard builds all the time, I wanna see some new blood into the mix and stir things up

They've been doing standard builds for so long as every damn map in tournaments is the same. Proleague and their new maps is finally bringing new styles into it.

FluxWaveZ

Going from Zerg, playing Terran's weird. I feel that whenever you're floating too many resources with Terran you've screwed up, while with Zerg you just make a ton of units at once and you're good. In a weird way, macro's kind of harder (or I should say different) than Zerg because it requires frequent structure building while also handling micro. At least initially, drops are way harder than I had thought when on the receiving end.

I feel that I'm a better player with Zerg now when I go back to ladder, though.

giri

They've been doing standard builds for so long as every damn map in tournaments is the same. Proleague and their new maps is finally bringing new styles into it.

The other part is, they usually destroy foreigners with those builds, so why change?

Where the Koreans get time to prep for specific opponents, you do see build variations. MVP was really good at that. But when you're playing through 12 opponents in one day, most people just take the strongest builds, execute those on the macro, and then focus on executing their micro / getting the better engagements.

I hate hate hate Colossus. Stupid range and speed. They should be slower for the amount of ranged splash damage they do.

I can deal with HT for the most part but dammit if HT + Colossus feels very IMBA.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
I hate hate hate Colossus. Stupid range and speed. They should be slower for the amount of ranged splash damage they do.

I can deal with HT for the most part but dammit if HT + Colossus feels very IMBA.

iElPMEpzNTiUx.gif

Colossus needs buff, not nerf

:D

Paches

Going from Zerg, playing Terran's weird. I feel that whenever you're floating too many resources with Terran you've screwed up, while with Zerg you just make a ton of units at once and you're good. In a weird way, macro's kind of harder (or I should say different) than Zerg because it requires frequent structure building while also handling micro. At least initially, drops are way harder than I had thought when on the receiving end.

It is really easy to sit back at home and focus on macro and defending vs harassment (such as mutas) rather than focusing on doing aggressive drops yourself, but once you get in a rhythm of dropping bases on opposite sides of the map consistently, with speed, and re-dropping to other bases after they bring forces to one, it is really intense and gratifying.

I found the "when to drone" thing a bit harder to get used to than Terran macro because its far more game dependent. As terran, you already know what you should be doing at all times so with more games played comes very clear improvement while as Zerg sometimes it feels like you aren't even progressing or winning by luck. The thing that really annoys me about Terran macro is building placement. My units always get stuck in my base as there is never enough room to fit everything and have clear paths for units to get out.

I found the "when to drone" thing a bit harder to get used to than Terran macro because its far more game dependent. As terran, you already know what you should be doing at all times so with more games played comes very clear improvement while as Zerg sometimes it feels like you aren't even progressing or winning by luck. The thing that really annoys me about Terran macro is building placement. My units always get stuck in my base as there is never enough room to fit everything and have clear paths for units to get out.

Right. Ideally as a Zerg, you are abusing the efficiency of larvae being able to produce anything by building only drones + whatever minimal number of units you need to not die, before switching into 100% unit production whenever you hit the peak point of your build (whether it's early rush or late-game or whatever). This is like the most coolest thing about Zerg and is a great example of emergent gameplay actually matching the theme of the race (I say emergent because I doubt Blizzard had this in mind when originally making SC1/Brood War).

Striek

Here's an easy question: how do organize your overlords? They're always in the way or out of position for me. I wish I could give them their own rally point
Apart from the first few which you rally to specific spots, I rally all of them straight to a mineral line (so they can be defended against air units with queen/spore) or against terran to empty air behind main/natural.

I never build overlords in the same wave as units. Always select larvae, build overlords, rally, select larvae, build units. Only takes half a second to do.
Terran definitely feels harder to start with. But I found recently after getting used to it thats its like playing the other races; you can macro easily enough unhindered and when your attention is strained (attacking or defending where you need to micro your ass off) your resources stockpile, but you just need to spend the resources you accrue ASAP.

In the end it comes down to attention for all races. If you're occupied somewhere you hope it was worth the macro tradeoff. The better you deal with multitasking the better you are all else equal.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
lol next week's Funday Monday sounds awesome. 4v4 where only 1 person can make attacking units.

Anybody wanna try it out? :p

Striek

Just had a funny little game where it was proxy 8 rax reaper vs. 12 rax reaper.
http://drop.sc/321395

Checked his profile and hes GM in WoL (probably because no ones playing WoL) but only 12 games in HoTS.
Third loss for him :3
lol next week's Funday Monday sounds awesome. 4v4 where only 1 person can make attacking units.

Sounds like a lot of team games anyway. Mass resources to one player, they make an ungodly amount of (mutas/colossi/MMM) and roflstomp divided armies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
sick pain in my hand today

fuck

jersoc

small victory of the day. beat a plat player. i'm in silver.

so many zvz lately :|
i think i've played 2 terrans ever. what happened? i figured with widow mines i'd see more terrans

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Right. Ideally as a Zerg, you are abusing the efficiency of larvae being able to produce anything by building only drones + whatever minimal number of units you need to not die, before switching into 100% unit production whenever you hit the peak point of your build (whether it's early rush or late-game or whatever). This is like the most coolest thing about Zerg and is a great example of emergent gameplay actually matching the theme of the race (I say emergent because I doubt Blizzard had this in mind when originally making SC1/Brood War).

It's kind of ridiculous that in the lower leagues, the opponent either lets you live long enough to let you hit that easy timing you had planned and you roll over them, or the opponent tries a timing of his own but you scout it and just destroy it with emergency spines/units, or the opponent doesn't let you scout his timing and you just get rolled over with half the units he has.

Middle ground games don't really happen very often with that race, and you often come off as either a masters level player that seems unbeatable, or a bronze level player that has no clue how to play depending on how the game plays out.

EDIT:

2gd says he has heard the NA wcs will have 8 koreans, EU around 5. Not confirmed but hes usually pretty on the money with these things.

Thats so dumb if true. If you're going to try to make it regional, make it freaking regional. Watching first tier Koreans in any tournament is fun. Seeing foreigners actually having a chance at winning something significant should be fun. Watching third tier code b Koreans beat up on foreigners sounds terrible. It's like they went with the one option that screws over both the "i want to see the best games possible" crowd and the crowd that wants to be able to root for a home team that has even a sliver of a chance.

Deadman

List of koreans playing wcs not in korea (so far)

Europe:

(T)LG-IM_mvp
(P)MVP.TAiLS
(P)MVP.finale
(P)SK_MC
(T)Acer.MMA
(T)Mill.ForGG

North America:

(Z)LG-IM_NesTea
(Z)Azubu.viOLet
(T)Quantic.TheStC
(Z)Quantic.HyuN
(T)Quantic.Center
(T)Liquid`TaeJa
(P)Liquid`HerO
(Z)Liquid`Zenio
(P)EG.JYP.RC
(T)EG.aLive.RC
(P)EG.Oz.RC
(Z)EG.Jaedong.RC
(Z)EG.Revival.RC
(Z)AX.Miya
(T)AX.Ryung
(T)AX.Heart
(P)AX.Alicia
(P)AX.CranK
(P)ROOT.Sage
(T)CMStorm_Polt

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=407158

lol.

mbmonk

It's kind of ridiculous that in the lower leagues, the opponent either lets you live long enough to let you hit that easy timing you had planned and you roll over them, or the opponent tries a timing of his own but you scout it and just destroy it with emergency spines/units, or the opponent doesn't let you scout his timing and you just get rolled over with half the units he has.

Middle ground games don't really happen very often with that race, and you often come off as either a masters level player that seems unbeatable, or a bronze level player that has no clue how to play depending on how the game plays out.

This is my exact problem with PvZ :). I am a Bronze leaguer. I feel like I have to be out pressuring the Zerg so he can't just drone up, but then I let my Macro slip because I am constantly on my army, and lose shortly after he destroys my existing army with a tech switch :). Or I try and turtle too much, and he expands 3 time uncontested and pounds me in the dirt.

I will get there it will just take some time.

zargle

Europe:

(T)LG-IM_mvp
(P)MVP.TAiLS
(P)MVP.finale
(P)SK_MC
(T)Acer.MMA
(T)Mill.ForGG

North America:

(Z)LG-IM_NesTea
(Z)Azubu.viOLet
(T)Quantic.TheStC
(Z)Quantic.HyuN
(T)Quantic.Center
(T)Liquid`TaeJa
(P)Liquid`HerO
(Z)Liquid`Zenio
(P)EG.JYP.RC
(T)EG.aLive.RC
(P)EG.Oz.RC
(Z)EG.Jaedong.RC
(Z)EG.Revival.RC
(Z)AX.Miya
(T)AX.Ryung
(T)AX.Heart
(P)AX.Alicia
(P)AX.CranK
(P)ROOT.Sage
(T)CMStorm_Polt

lol.

I understand most of those, due to team/sponsor, but there are definitely a few headscratchers.

I bet all of these are going to be cheese matches. I can't see anyone actually pulling off a 1v4 in the late game. Even against bronze leaguers. You are effectively going 200 supply vs 800.

Europe:

(T)LG-IM_mvp
(P)MVP.TAiLS
(P)MVP.finale
(P)SK_MC
(T)Acer.MMA
(T)Mill.ForGG

North America:

(Z)LG-IM_NesTea
(Z)Azubu.viOLet
(T)Quantic.TheStC
(Z)Quantic.HyuN
(T)Quantic.Center
(T)Liquid`TaeJa
(P)Liquid`HerO
(Z)Liquid`Zenio
(P)EG.JYP.RC
(T)EG.aLive.RC
(P)EG.Oz.RC
(Z)EG.Jaedong.RC
(Z)EG.Revival.RC
(Z)AX.Miya
(T)AX.Ryung
(T)AX.Heart
(P)AX.Alicia
(P)AX.CranK
(P)ROOT.Sage
(T)CMStorm_Polt

lol.

Just bullshit IMO. They really need a residency requirement. The GSL is offline and the NA and EU qualifiers should be as well. If you want to play in the NA/EU, you should be living there. That way, players like Polt can contribute to the scene while Koreans who just chill in the superior and established Korean practice environment are forced to compete in their own region.

This is my exact problem with PvZ :). I am a Bronze leaguer. I feel like I have to be out pressuring the Zerg so he can't just drone up, but then I let my Macro slip because I am constantly on my army, and lose shortly after he destroys my existing army with a tech switch :). Or I try and turtle too much, and he expands 3 time uncontested and pounds me in the dirt.

I will get there it will just take some time.

I think that a better plan would be to attack on timings. For instance, as Terran simply strike when Stim is done. You should have a few widow mines and a decent bio force at that time and while stim is researching simply send out a drop to pressure him a bit. Often, Stim finishes just as his 3rd is finishing so you can really bring the pain to him as he was hoping to get his economy up. Timings that are inconvenient for your opponent are much more efficient than just plain aggression and will also make it easier on your end to keep your macro up.

zargle

I bet all of these are going to be cheese matches. I can't see anyone actually pulling off a 1v4 in the late game. Even against bronze leaguers. You are effectively going 200 supply vs 800.

You think that. Then when 200 supply of Ultralisks with 200 supporting medivacs are knocking on the front door, things change.

Personally, I just want to see the best play the best, so Koreans everywhere would be great for me but I know that to expand the audience, the foreign scene is very important.

Europe:

(T)LG-IM_mvp
(P)MVP.TAiLS
(P)MVP.finale
(P)SK_MC
(T)Acer.MMA
(T)Mill.ForGG

North America:

(Z)LG-IM_NesTea
(Z)Azubu.viOLet
(T)Quantic.TheStC
(Z)Quantic.HyuN
(T)Quantic.Center
(T)Liquid`TaeJa
(P)Liquid`HerO
(Z)Liquid`Zenio
(P)EG.JYP.RC
(T)EG.aLive.RC
(P)EG.Oz.RC
(Z)EG.Jaedong.RC
(Z)EG.Revival.RC
(Z)AX.Miya
(T)AX.Ryung
(T)AX.Heart
(P)AX.Alicia
(P)AX.CranK
(P)ROOT.Sage
(T)CMStorm_Polt

lol.

Blizzard really fucked up and this is going to kill the interest in the tournament. WCS Europe last year showed that people like watching players just from that region compete. This thing should have been region locked. Not sure how they will go about fixing it either without pissing a lot of people off.

Personally, I just want to see the best play the best, so Koreans everywhere would be great for me but I know that to expand the audience, the foreign scene is very important.

I mostly like watching the best but we already have GSL, GSTL, proleague plus we get to see some of them at foreign events. I still like the different flavor that watching a tournament without them can have. There is something appealing about watching the players from each region compete to be the best only to meet the best from the other regions.

Majine

Banned
I like watching the best korean players as much as the next vocal fan, but yeah, this is totally the wrong approach. Blizzard must understand that for popularity sake, less korean domination is good, and when you have the control over a big tournament yourself, it's kind of a big blunder.

f0rk

I don't know it might be good to give foreigners some motivation to get good while in their home region rather than just streaming ladder all day.

I don't know it might be good to give foreigners some motivation to get good while in their home region rather than just streaming ladder all day.

They stream because their sponsors pretty much require them to promote their products.

The problem is that the sponsors in Korea let their players practice in team houses with board and food. In the US you are lucky to have that and commit full time to Starcraft like the Koreans do. You think Flash got that good at SC2 so fast because he took breaks for other stuff?

Heck a lot of Kespa Koreans for that matter. The ones that weren't doing good are suddenly getting better. The competition is ramping up and I don't think foreigners can cut it unless they devote full time into their game. 24 games a day/steam isn't going to cut. 50+ is needed to be the best of the best.

Vaporak

I mostly like watching the best but we already have GSL, GSTL, proleague plus we get to see some of them at foreign events. I still like the different flavor that watching a tournament without them can have. There is something appealing about watching the players from each region compete to be the best only to meet the best from the other regions.

This is the real problem. Even if we all agree that watching the highest skill players play is a good thing, having every tournament only be that narrows the viewing experience and so lowers the aggregate viewing interest.

Mairu

Just bullshit IMO. They really need a residency requirement. The GSL is offline and the NA and EU qualifiers should be as well. If you want to play in the NA/EU, you should be living there. That way, players like Polt can contribute to the scene while Koreans who just chill in the superior and established Korean practice environment are forced to compete in their own region.

I agree. This is dumb as hell.

The thing is if anything this is going to increase the domination of Koreans at foreign tournaments. I hope blizzard realise how big of a mistake this is because it could really hurt the game imo. Basically if you're not going to make it region locked why even go with a format like this in the first place?

This is the real problem. Even if we all agree that watching the highest skill players play is a good thing, having every tournament only be that narrows the viewing experience and so lowers the aggregate viewing interest.

Exactly!

Won

No one uses it. Just join the NeoGAF group in-game :)

I so totally have no idea what are you talking about. I was refering to the WCS list.

I don't even play this stupid game!

I also like the notion that NA/EU just should play in the KR league, now that everyone is gone.

Top Bottom