• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Best strat for burrowing.

Send overlord to a future expand for your opponent and poop creep. Send a zergling/drone with it and burrow it in the creep.

Your opponent will think he can expand after he kills your overlord and gets rid of the creep. But then he tries to build the expo and gets DENIED AGAIN.

giri

Except the Planetary Fortress.

Oh good, so there's only costs 550minerals?

*groan*

Wait, why is listing those units silly when it comes to Mutas?

Because every side has units that can attack both air and ground from WoL. You wanted to say that mines are OP because they can attack air. Well it's a response to the muta's increased health regen in HoTS, partially. and neither of those two units got a buff in HoTS.

I suppose that's true, though I'm doubtful about the significance of x4 health regen to a Mutas health during a harass before they flee.

But again, where do Widow Mines come in (which is what I was questioning in regards to Mutas, not other cases)? If Marines are defending a base, like you said, the Mutas will have to flee.

If the terran has to keep all his marines in his base to deal with a clump of muta's, you've pretty much got map domination and can just expand to 6 bases.

Basically, widow mines are just the terran bio (sic) version of AOE. Which Mutas already have themselves. And Zerg have in several ways in the mid/early game.

But you can ask the same inane questions like, why can muta's attack both ground and air? why do they regen? why should they get any aoe damage? why should they be able to clump?

Justifying any one single unit is an exercise in futility, particularly after such an incredibly short period of time. If they had given siege tanks rocket launchers on the back so they could attack air also, simultaneously as ground, then we'd have a balance issue.

(PS, need a siege tank upgrade to have rocket launchers).

As they stand, i have as many issues with mines as i do swarm hosts, and i have just as many with oracles. Which probably means it's relatively balanced.

FluxWaveZ

Because every side has units that can attack both air and ground from WoL. You wanted to say that mines are OP because they can attack air. Well it's a response to the muta's increased health regen in HoTS, partially. and neither of those two units got a buff in HoTS.

What? My very first comment at the top of the page is me saying I don't think Widow Mines are overpowered, but specifically wondering why they can attack air and locusts cannot.

And as discussed, I really don't think Widow Mines were a response to the Muta buffs, but I guess they work against Muta balls anyways.

If the terran has to keep all his marines in his base to deal with a clump of muta's, you've pretty much got map domination and can just expand to 6 bases.

Are Missile Turrets considered useless? Because Mutalisks are not impervious to them and, if anything, they give enough time for the Terran to return to their base to defend if the Marines aren't just idle in their base.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Ill admit, this feels really good after sucking so badly a week ago.

JSXk0Hj.jpg

Playing Master League players now finally too.

What? My very first comment at the top of the page is me saying I don't think Widow Mines are overpowered, but specifically wondering why they can attack air and locusts cannot.

And as discussed, I really don't think Widow Mines were a response to the Muta buffs, but I guess they work against Muta balls anyways.

Are Missile Turrets considered useless? Because Mutalisks are not impervious to them and, if anything, they give enough time for the Terran to return to their base to defend if the Marines aren't just idle in their base.

I dunno why SH can't attack air with their locusts. Would certainly help vs Airtoss right now lol.

sixghost

I've been meaning to ask this, are people sure that unranked and rank have a different MMR? I played unranked exclusively for a week or two until I started getting matched with a bunch of masters players, then got placed in masters 3 games after starting ranked again. This was after 40 or 50 games in diamond.

FluxWaveZ

Happens. Trust me SC2 is so salty. I have almost 100 on my ignore list from how salty/raged people get from getting beat solidly.

Had a Protoss player say they were going to report me for map hacks because I saw their early "hidden" tech via a Xel'naga Tower.

I don't "glhf" anymore because of this kind of stuff and I always assume cheese unless proven otherwise.

Comon Flux you're masters man. You should be past this imba shit now.

Yes Zerg actually has to micro and be really careful with their army now . Just like Toss and Terran have had to do since the start of WoL

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Congrats Mr. Beast!

Any suggestions for 2v2?

Running as TZ with my buddy, I'm the Z.

Seems like in 2v2 it's all about ignoring normal 1v1 builds and each of us amassing units that complement each other.

StayDead

Just faced a random player who told me the wrong race. He said T and he was Z so I didn't wall in, but he tried to baneling bust my siege expand and I won lategame. I hate people who are dicks like that.

Aylinato

I always tell people in games when im random that i lie to them. then i tell them exactly the truth. befuddles their minds.

Ketch

I always figured the only advantage of being random would be your opponent not knowing... So why would you ever tell?

FluxWaveZ

I always figured the only advantage of being random would be your opponent not knowing... So why would you ever tell?

I admire players who can play all races at an NA server Master level. I think I'm going to give up Zerg as my main focus and start playing Random.

StayDead

That was a ridiculous game. 1:45:00 he had 4 tempests and I had a load of mines and pretty much nothing else, I had 5 ravens at one point, but somehow 5 ravens couldn't kill him and I messed up the control slightly.. i could not kill them, I hate those things so much.

EDIT: and from that I get into a similar situation with Broodlords. I killed all his bases and nearly all his buildings but he had some corrupters and he turned them into broodlords. I could do nothing to kill them. I hate this game sometimes.

I finally feel like I'm getting near masters and then once again I tank right the way back down again. I don't understand why this keeps happening. I have days where it's almost like I don't know how to play the damn game.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
for anyone wondering how to counter hellbat drops as terran i think the answer may be banshees with a turret in the mineral line. i lost, but im seeing potential

f0rk

qxc just did this mass widow mine build vs stephano. He won after transitioning into mine/raven/BC.

Was it on ladder or practice games? It seems EG might have realised playing each other repeatedly might be useful as I saw Stephano playing someone called Bomber (dunno if real) and he's playing Demuslim right now.
maybe they did this before without streaming / I didn't notice but still it's good to see.

zargle

Was it on ladder or practice games? It seems EG might have realised playing each other repeatedly might be useful as I saw Stephano playing someone called Bomber (dunno if real) and he's playing Demuslim right now.
maybe they did this before without streaming / I didn't notice but still it's good to see.

I would not be surprised if Stephano was playing teammates simply because it takes him forever to find a match on ladder, from what I have seen watching his stream the last week.

Son1x

I play random because I like playing all races. Simple as that. I usually don't tell him my race on my own, but if he asks, I tell him my real race.

giri

I play random because I like playing all races. Simple as that. I usually don't tell him my race on my own, but if he asks, I tell him my real race.

I'm not the most map aware person in the world, but... wouldn't most people find out 2 minutes in with proper scouting anyway? And would it really alter anyones builds THAT much?

Seems odd to ask. I never even thought of doing so.

Mairu

Not really liking stacking all the money into the top 3. Hard to survive off dat low prize!

Seems especially stupid when you consider the bigger prize pool that comes out of the big finals events. For something that they want to encourage developing regional scenes out of, all this does is move the prize money even further towards the top

StayDead

I'm not the most map aware person in the world, but... wouldn't most people find out 2 minutes in with proper scouting anyway? And would it really alter anyones builds THAT much?

Seems odd to ask. I never even thought of doing so.

It really does alter your build. Especially on a 4 player map where you might scout them super late.

:(

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Seems especially stupid when you consider the bigger prize pool that comes out of the big finals events. For something that they want to encourage developing regional scenes out of, all this does is move the prize money even further towards the top

Yep so the people who actually make money in the regional (top5) can make even more on world championships. Not really the ideal situation to encourage growth.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
That really kills the vibe of the whole thing, but it does make it much more GSL like in that it gives people time to prepare.

it's kinda a bummer that they're only going to be offline for a week of it. a far cry from the GSL's month+ of games format.

even if just from the RO16 onwards, the GSL takes five weeks to get to the final.

Top Bottom