• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

sixghost

The best practice (in my opinion) is you get people to cheese the hell out of you and see if your build can hold it if you're sorting out your early game. Lategame is playing against certain styles so it's nice to have someone to grind a style against you without deliberately making changes as they know how you play.

What I can't seem to find is someone who (if I lose to something) will do the same thing again so I can see if I can practice against that exact thing. It's really annoying, but it's what I sometimes need to practice and it's really hard to find people willing to keep doing the same thing over and over until I hold it properly.

What league are you? I love practicing like that.

FluxWaveZ

Anyone in Master league here actually have any real aspirations for Grand Master? Part of my reason for starting to play the other races is mainly because once I got to Master, I feel that promotion isn't something I could look forward to anymore.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Anyone in Master league here actually have any real aspirations for Grand Master? Part of my reason for starting to play the other races is mainly because once I got to Master, I feel that promotion isn't something I could look forward to anymore.

only when i'm on a winning streak.

grandmaster isn't a healthy goal unless you want to make money on youtube/twitch or you want to go pro. sounds like a huge time investment.

When I watch incontrol play PvZ I want to stab my eyes out.

Why are so many toss streamers bad...

Only good ones that come to mind are Minigun and Grubby.

Aylinato

So there I was queing up for a 3v3 ai battle. The loading screen loads up and I'm looking at the opponents to see their races and lo and behold I accidentally qued for a real 3v3. Needless to say my team destroyed them, hard, fast, even with them going mutas and reapers

Mairu

I like how the ESL twitter is happy by it. What a bunch of jokers if this goes through.

Not really sure why they aren't just copying the GSL rules completely if they want the league to have parity across regions. GSL Code A qualifiers have always been bo3, maps set (no loser pick or anything) and they've been able to get them done offline.

Ketch

Not really sure why they aren't just copying the GSL rules completely if they want the league to have parity across regions. GSL Code A qualifiers have always been bo3, maps set (no loser pick or anything) and they've been able to get them done offline.

I kind of get the feeling that they haven't spent much time organizing or planning, hopefully it's still fun to watch and that they'll be able to fix some things going forward.

Striek

Play on SEA :p

When I was playing toss constantly probably a year ago I think I got really close to GM on NA. But I can never stay motivated to actually play SC2 as opposed to watching streams.

It was indeed much more fun/motivating to get to masters since it was so much more achievable, its much easier to polish 90% of your play than to improve that last 10%. Thats part of the reason I race switch so often too.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
hey paches. here's a tvt:

few things:

i have super low apm
i set my workers to follow other workers
i get supplied blocked all the time
this game starts out kinda wonky so i dont know if this is the standard kind of thing you wanted.

but uh, here it is!

http://drop.sc/322456

Ketch

I really feel like I'm getting better.... Gonna try for a promotion before the season locks out, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

This match felt really good, totally out macroed this guy. I got some swarm hosts in the mix, and the attack just felt like I was really crushing him. Macro, it's super effective. Gotta work on map vision though. http://drop.sc/322459

mercviper

I really feel like I'm getting better.... Gonna try for a promotion before the season locks out, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

This match felt really good, totally out macroed this guy. I got some swarm hosts in the mix, and the attack just felt like I was really crushing him. Macro, it's super effective. Gotta work on map vision though. http://drop.sc/322459

I dunno if you play with worker counts, but you may want to consider it. You rally 20 new drones to your 3rd expansion while your main is still running with under 10 drones. Likely it got there from not replacing drones you built buildings with.

Good job keeping up the army count. He never had more than 100 supply and you keeping yours above 150 definitely worked to your advantage.

Ketch

I dunno if you play with worker counts, but you may want to consider it. You rally 20 new drones to your 3rd expansion while your main is still running with under 10 drones. Likely it got there from not replacing drones you built buildings with.

Yeah, I don't really have any sort of plan for worker count. Right now my standard build is to drone until 6 minutes. After the 6 minute mark I drone to replenish if I loss some to an attack, and I do one round of drones after each expansion to make sure they get saturated ASAP.

I do this by rallying all my workers to an expansion when I add that expansion to my control group. I feel like this is working out pretty well right now, but I do notice that the number of workers in my main dwindles throughout the game... I'm okay with this because other wise I seem to mine out my main pretty early and then I have like a group of 20 workers just chillin until I notice they aren't doing anything... so I feel like it's better to easily saturate my expos in exchange for less then optimal, but continuous, mining at my main. What do you think?

Good job keeping up the army count. He never had more than 100 supply and you keeping yours above 150 definitely worked to your advantage.

Aww yea, it's probably my favorite part of the game right now. When you're on three bases and you're keeping up with your larvae injects, if feels like you have unlimited units at your disposal, it's so much fun. "Swarm hosts sound good, lets build ALL OF THEM!"

Any Terran will tell you that a Zerg that uses a ton of Mutas or Ultralisk are a nightmare.

Also I found out that Mech and me don't work to well. I have to give it a few more tries but damn does Anti-Air suck until you get Ravens out.

Swarm Hosts are also good against mech.

BTW any Terran brother willing to drop a build they use vs Protoss? I've lost both matches to Protoss today while winning all my other matches except 2 TvZs.

I think I have and idea of what I'm doing wrong but its way too hard to engage the Protoss personally. Especially near the Nexus with the cannon ability.

Drops aren't as effective either from what I've seen.

what's the best way to punish a crazy economy zerg at the beginning of the game who has mass queens?

You can 5-7rax all in and kill the Zerg assuming you expanded. If they are really greedy and went for a 3rd just make a ton of rax, pull SCVs and hope he doesn't have banelings because you should be making at least 4 marines at a time with no addons on rax for about 2mins. Add a tank if you made factory as support if you can afford it. If the Zerg is on 2 bases with mass Queens and taken his gas then tighten your defense and build a 3rd CC.

Not too good on maps where the Zerg is very far such as Whirlwind. BTW kill the Overlord that sits near your base at the hidden areas by lifting a rax and shooting it down so that he doesn't see you push out with a ton of units and SCVs. 9/10 it will work. SCV's health make them good meatshields.

Another way it to make 8 hellions and 3 Marauders and head out. Use the Marauders to bait lings and use hellions to fry them. Kill the Queens afterwards. If there are Roaches back off!

Another way is to let the Marauder die to lings and send the Hellions into the base and fry drones.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
You can 5-7rax all in and kill the Zerg assuming you expanded. If they are really greedy and went for a 3rd just make a ton of rax, pull SCVs and hope he doesn't have banelings because you should be making at least 4 marines at a time with no addons on rax for about 2mins. Add a tank if you made factory as support if you can afford it. If the Zerg is on 2 bases with mass Queens and taken his gas then tighten your defense and build a 3rd CC.

Not too good on maps where the Zerg is very far such as Whirlwind. BTW kill the Overlord that sits near your base at the hidden areas by lifting a rax and shooting it down so that he doesn't see you push out with a ton of units and SCVs. 9/10 it will work. SCV's health make them good meatshields.

Another way it to make 8 hellions and 3 Marauders and head out. Use the Marauders to bait lings and use hellions to fry them. Kill the Queens afterwards. If there are Roaches back off!

Another way is to let the Marauder die to lings and send the Hellions into the base and fry drones.

this would definitely do it but it's too all in for me, i think i can go on using my normal zerg build but i just need to cut out my initial hellion harass and mines in favor of a 3rd maurader barracks.

i tried heavy reaper play and that worked well, too bad i suck at multitasking.

Expand harder or Marine/Marauder/Medivac/Widow Mine timing?

I don't actually know, but it does make me think I should make Queens more.

he had his shit together pretty damn quickly. but this could work too.

and ya, i cream most zergs but the heavy macro opening zergs are tricky.

this would definitely do it but it's too all in for me, i think i can go on using my normal zerg build but i just need to cut out my initial hellion harass and mines in favor of a 3rd maurader barracks.

i tried heavy reaper play and that worked well, too bad i suck at multitasking.

he had his shit together pretty damn quickly. but this could work too.

and ya, i cream most zergs but the heavy macro opening zergs are tricky.

It is all in because I thought thats what you wanted lol.

I still use Bio tank in my play with maybe 1 or 2 WM and Hellbats in my Army.

That and tons of drops.

Wunder

what's the best way to punish a crazy economy zerg at the beginning of the game who has mass queens?

Hard to do, but that's kind of a WoL style, so you might punish by either going 3cc yourself or getting some type of widow mine pressure going on, if you can burrow at a good spot he won't have lair for a while.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Back from the doctor. Love you guys!

Striek

Well they punish themselves a bit with a slower third and the extra queens cost the same as a couple dozen lings. Just apply map control with your hellions and deny as much creep as you can, secure your third earlier and prepare for the midgame.

Six hellions and two reapers (standard early game force) can take on a queen or two as well if they overextend. Also for added risk you can bring up your first couple widow mines and try and zone the queens/deny third longer.

V_Arnold

all protoss in early leagues do void ray rush :|
what should do as a zerg?

It is not easy to stop, that is for sure. First off, I would advise to refrain from making mutas, and simply concentrate on corruptors/queens. Corruptors are crazy weak against voids now, but they have a good range, and can back up towards spore crawlers easily. If he really has nothing more than Voids going on, then a mobile corruptor-based air unit +queens+spores at all your bases and of course, expanding more than he can should work out.

There are two options for you from there. One is to try denying third with a fast ling counter, but if they already estabilished that base and/or switched back to mass blink-stalkers syle (I see that often), you need to step up your ground game, and do not even think of going mutas from that point :D

jersoc

alright, i'll try that. i tried to defend with hydras, but didn't have enough out i guess.

i attacked him early with like 10 roaches but he had 3 cannons already at his nat, which i knew he was going voids then. cause i've seen it way more than half the protoss i've played.

mbmonk

Anyone know of some custom observer UI's that are available for download?

Aww yea, it's probably my favorite part of the game right now. When you're on three bases and you're keeping up with your larvae injects, if feels like you have unlimited units at your disposal, it's so much fun. "Swarm hosts sound good, lets build ALL OF THEM!"

During the game we played last night, I definitely felt like I was fighting a "Swarm". Seemed like there was an endless stream of Zerg replacements units. It felt like it's how Zerg should be played. Despite me losing, it was awesome :).

ksan

Naniwa has a team again!

http://www.thealliance.gg/

Same webserver as EG apparently, similar style, common sponsor. Is this some sort of EG.EU or additional brand or something?

Yeah, seems like it. At least from what nth had been doing before.
My guess is that EG wanted both the dota team and nani, and they wanted to keep Huk even though he's bad (but still marketable), and he doesn't want to be on the same team as nani. Therefore they decided to make a new brand with a more EU focus (I've never seen astro products in Sweden for example).
The guy next to him looks equally as douchey.

Can't wait to see who else this team picks up.

:lol
Are you angry? =(

Yeah, seems like it. At least from what nth had been doing before.
My guess is that EG wanted both the dota team and nani, and they wanted to keep Huk even though he's bad (but still marketable), and he doesn't want to be on the same team as nani. Therefore they decided to make a new brand with a more EU focus (I've never seen astro products in Sweden for example).

Huk doesn't seem as marketable anymore. Even his stream numbers have been really poor.

ksan

Huk doesn't seem as marketable anymore. Even his stream numbers have been really poor.

Maybe he had to make some concessions then.
Or it could just be that he's still profitable enough to stay in the team.
Or what if EG thinks the backlash would be too big if they kicked him?

I still think he's valuable for EG though.

Mr Swine

Banned
Can some please PLEASE tell me how to beat fu$%*ng Zerg players? I'm good against Protoss and Terran but every time I'm against Zerg they always win over me. Only time I can win is if its against bronze player. Zerg always goes 2 base and when I come with my Terran army they just pump out a few lings and kill my 18 man army like nothing.

I can't drop anything because they have overlords everywhere. I can't expand either because they will banelings or other units to destroy my expo. I can't advance either since Zerg are so freaking fast on creep. Despite destroying all they make new creep like nothing.

I'm getting sick and tired that every match ends the same way :(

Can some please PLEASE tell me how to beat fu$%*ng Zerg players? I'm good against Protoss and Terran but every time I'm against Zerg they always win over me. Only time I can win is if its against bronze player. Zerg always goes 2 base and when I come with my Terran army they just pump out a few lings and kill my 18 man army like nothing.

I can't drop anything because they have overlords everywhere. I can't expand either because they will banelings or other units to destroy my expo. I can't advance either since Zerg are so freaking fast on creep. Despite destroying all they make new creep like nothing.

My first piece of advice would be to stop falling for what i would call Idra syndrome. Don't assume that your opponent is going to play perfectly. Just because they have overlords everywhere doesn't mean you shouldn't drop. Even pro players get caught unprepared against drop play. Just send a few medivacs around the place and i guarantee no matter how many overlords they have around they won't spot every drop. Even if they do you can still force mistakes out of them.

I think some posting some replays might help. If a zerg is just going to sit on 2 base i'm not sure why you're even trying to kill them. Just play defensive and expand. My guess is you aren't making the most of your wall ins/unit positioning and struggle because of this. Zerg shouldn't be able to just waltz in and kill and expansion whenever they want.

Mr Swine

Banned
My first piece of advice would be to stop falling for what i would call Idra syndrome. Don't assume that your opponent is going to play perfectly. Just because they have overlords everywhere doesn't mean you shouldn't drop. Even pro players get caught unprepared against drop play. Just send a few medivacs around the place and i guarantee no matter how many overlords they have around they won't spot every drop. Even if they do you can still force mistakes out of them.

I think some posting some replays might help. If a zerg is just going to sit on 2 base i'm not sure why you're even trying to kill them. Just play defensive and expand. My guess is you aren't making the most of your wall ins/unit positioning and struggle because of this. Zerg shouldn't be able to just waltz in and kill and expansion whenever they want.

I did once wall in and had like 6 siege tanks defend my expo but he brought in brood lords and corruptors. No matter where I tried to land my newly built CC he always flew there and destroyed it. He had eventually 6 bases and me 2. I flew around killing his expos like mad but no matter what I did he had a new fully maxxed army in a minute :/. I had eventually 12 ravens killing of all his corruptors but it was then too late. He had all bases except my expo and I lost.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

i think rauder, hellbat should be strong on all leagues, even a 1 base version. basically just go straight for marauder, hellbat with 2 rax, 1 factory, and push. scan to see if they get a spire and and if they do, switch the factory with a barracks to pump out 3x marines and thors.

f0rk

I did once wall in and had like 6 siege tanks defend my expo but he brought in brood lords and corruptors. No matter where I tried to land my newly built CC he always flew there and destroyed it. He had eventually 6 bases and me 2. I flew around killing his expos like mad but no matter what I did he had a new fully maxxed army in a minute :/. I had eventually 12 ravens killing of all his corruptors but it was then too late. He had all bases except my expo and I lost.

You shouldn't still be on 2 bases when he has Broodlords.
Post some replays

Ketch

I don't know what league you're in, but it sounds like they are just out macroing you.

If Zerg is just macroing then they can't have many units to defend with because their larvae is being used on drones. When you try to attack in this situation, the Zerg has to see you push out and switch from building drones to building units, and they have as long as it takes for you to get there to get enough defense out.

So what you could do is focus on macroing out a large enough army where there's no way he can get enough defenses out in time. Or do faster attacks on more vulnerable targets where you can get in and out before he can mass up and send units at you. Maybe just harassing an expo, or hunting down overlords. If you do harass and retreat you must be ready for a counter attack because he just built a bunch of units and probably isn't going to leave them sit idle.

all protoss in early leagues do void ray rush :|
what should do as a zerg?

In low leagues the answer is: kill them before they can mass voids. If your macroing well you should easily be able kill them with roach hydra before they get enough void rays to kill you.

But I'll caveat all this with: I have no idea what I'm talking about.

StayDead

Beat a zerg who complained about me turtling today (my first masters zerg I've beaten) and then I had an amazing comeback against a 1A bio terran who then complained he hates playing against people like me as I play to win and not for fun.

Ah the ladder, what an amazing place :p

Beat a zerg who complained about me turtling today (my first masters zerg I've beaten) and then I had an amazing comeback against a 1A bio terran who then complained he hates playing against people like me as I play to win and not for fun.

Ah the ladder, what an amazing place :p

What does play for fun even mean? Dunno about those guys but I have more fun when I win. lol

Top Bottom